PDA

View Full Version : Disabling the cars ODOMETER!!!

Need4Speed
04-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Before I start I知 just sharing this information, in terms of general knowledge NOT to encourage you to do this. :cool:

To disable or turn back an analogue odometer, (the one in a lot of older cars and the majority of modern cars), As most people know it is very difficult and time consuming, you gotta drive the car backwards :eek: (I知 sure no one wants to do that for 10,000km) and the other way is to locate the odometer cable which is connected to the gearbox (not sure where exactly) and get a drill and turn back wards, this is also useless information for ordinary people as to do it you need to have some technical/mechanical knowledge. or you could find a crook mechanic.

:) THE REAL INFORMATION :)

If you have a car with an electronic odometer, in most of them it is possible to disable the odometer (you can no longer role back the odometer, since the data is stored in the engine control unit (ECU), you are dealing with a computerised system), but what you can do is you CAN DISABLE THE ODOMETER, by removing a specific fuse (not sure exactly which one it is e.g. alarm, door locks, ignition), located in the fuse compartment (this specific fuse is usually located in the fuse compartment under the passenger side dashboard, or it could also be in the fuse compartment under the hood, doubt it).

But by removing the specific fuse the odometer and other functions of the car become disabled :D , such as the indicator lights, and everything in the drivers dash, such as fuel gauge, speedometer, and the rest of them.

This way your chances of getting booked for driving with no indicators and driving over the speed limit are higher.

I知 not sure but I have heard it also disables the airbags :eek: , so be careful. Not that you should even try it!!!!

If anyone else has any other information, questions, facts or techniques ask/share!!!!

Egg Nog
04-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Shortly after I started driving it, my 914 randomly "disabled" the speedometer/odometer ;)

UK CARS
04-16-2004, 01:55 AM
my dad has a company car and has to return it to ford in 6 months, hes had it for 2 years and it has to go back with under 60k miles on the clock, hes got to 57k miles, so he disconected the speedo, the only problem is that he doesnt know what speed hes doing! :o everyhting else work though. ;)

Need4Speed
04-16-2004, 04:15 AM
what was your dads car?

Misho
04-17-2004, 10:09 AM
i though disabling the odometer by removing the fuse only worked in analogue cars. i know a number of people that did this to meet lease limits. it did disable the speedo too, which could be a problem.
never heard of disabling electronic odometers though, i thought that cant be done.
are you sure NF4SD ??

Suka
04-17-2004, 10:13 AM
We have an electronic one in the Libra. My Dad forgot to plug it in after some recent maintanence.

RX7 FC3S
04-17-2004, 01:19 PM
A dumb guy crashed into the side of my Forester and broke the side mirror. Since it is one of those electronically controlled side mirrors, the wires were all messed up when the mirror fell off. And when that happened, some electronic things (eg. power window {yes, I had my window OPENED}, ODO, Speed, Rev, etc.) are disabled.
So, I guess if something goes wrong with the circuit, all the meters on the dash wouldn't work.
However, if I didn't remember it wrong, the meter for the gas was still working.

Egg Nog
04-17-2004, 05:27 PM
A dumb guy crashed into the side of my Forester and broke the side mirror. Since it is one of those electronically controlled side mirrors, the wires were all messed up when the mirror fell off. And when that happened, some electronic things (eg. power window {yes, I had my window OPENED}, ODO, Speed, Rev, etc.) are disabled.
So, I guess if something goes wrong with the circuit, all the meters on the dash wouldn't work.
However, if I didn't remember it wrong, the meter for the gas was still working.

Strange electrical problems have got to be some of the most frustrating things ever. :p

It makes sense that the gas gauge still worked, though. They are generally independent of everything else, linked with a float attached to the fuel sender inside the tank. (Or just outside the tank, depending on where the sender is)

fpv_gtho
04-18-2004, 05:53 AM
whilst my brother was replacing the front windscreen section of the fairing on his bike, he had the speedo/tacho assembly all off. him and his friend decided to get the drill to the odomoter. well after watching this, not only is it apparently a high risk you can ruin the odomoter by winding it backwards, but it takes bloody ages.....(we didnt find out the hard way it can ruin the odometer, my brothers friend was claiming that if you wind it backwards with a drill etc, the gears for the barrel of numbers that spin can come offline or something and be ruined so its safer to wind it forward untill it passes all the 0's again)

Need4Speed
04-18-2004, 07:53 PM
i though disabling the odometer by removing the fuse only worked in analogue cars. i know a number of people that did this to meet lease limits. it did disable the speedo too, which could be a problem.
never heard of disabling electronic odometers though, i thought that cant be done.
are you sure NF4SD ??

Im sure.
I actually saw someone do it, it worked, and the car had an electronic odometer. When the fuse is blown or taken out there is no power to the odometer and as a result there is no link between the ECU and the odometer, so nothing registers.

Homem de Gelo
04-19-2004, 01:56 PM
So, basically, it's impossible to do it without risking too many things if your car has a digital one?

NoOne
04-19-2004, 04:38 PM
Just to let you all know .... I would'nt buy a car from any of you that posted in this thread. :D

DodgeNitroBIRM
04-19-2004, 08:23 PM
You know, I do believe that disabling the odometer is considered fraud in the US.

Need4Speed
04-19-2004, 11:17 PM
You know, I do believe that disabling the odometer is considered fraud in the US.

Yea disabling the odometer is against the law in most places, but knowing how to disable it is not!!!

Need4Speed
04-19-2004, 11:27 PM
So, basically, it's impossible to do it without risking too many things if your car has a digital one?

Personally I wouldnt do it myself. Don't want to risk anything.

NoOne
04-20-2004, 07:20 AM
I would have thought it easier to do a speedo/odometer swap from a lower mileage car in the scrapyard. :)

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 08:17 AM
now if you can find out how to do this for a motorcycle........dont worry guys, im a huge car fan, but i'm looking into getting a yamaha r1 sometime

Spastik_Roach
04-22-2004, 11:48 PM
I'm just....not gunna get involved with you guys....ever again...*runs*

crisis
04-23-2004, 12:31 AM
My brother in law and mechanic told me that the BCM still gets this info so it is easy to check up the ks with the correct equiptment. Beware.

Need4Speed
04-24-2004, 12:07 AM
My brother in law and mechanic told me that the BCM still gets this info so it is easy to check up the ks with the correct equiptment. Beware.

Whats the BCM?

fpv_gtho
04-25-2004, 10:01 PM
he might mean the PCM

crisis
04-28-2004, 12:48 AM
Whats the BCM?
Body control module. It is a computer that interacts/controls/monitors all of the electronic parts of the car.

ace
04-28-2004, 11:26 PM
In Australia the powers that be have woken up to the wide spread practice of speedometer tampering and the difficulty in policing it , so they make every one that works on your car, mechanics , panel beaters auto electrical basically all shops record your cars details that includes your VIN , registration and Speedo numbers any time your car goes for a service or repair there by building a log of information on your car to match to when you sell it ,also making it harder to rebirth a written off vehicle.

rooter
01-20-2016, 08:05 PM
have him download WAZE on his phone and this app has a speedometer built in.

coastie
07-04-2017, 12:23 PM
1999, I am driving a buddy's lease pickup.
Hey the odo doesn' work.
Don't worry, the speedometer's OK, right?
And don't touch that toggle switch under the
dash without me telling you to.
Ford F350.
go figure.
coastie