PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Volvo V70R 2.4 AWD 265

robcooper
04-09-2007, 03:25 PM
Hey guys.

i know many of you will skip this topic cos its a Volvo but...oh well.

I made this thread mainly because Waugh-terfall asked me to post up a few pics, so i thought i would. Now a little info on the car.

0 - 60: 6 seconds
Top Speed: 155 limited
265bhp
258 lb fts Torque
1 of 400 worldwide
16" smoked anthricite alloys
21 MPG :o
Laser Blue

So yeah, thats the main stats on it. If anyone wants to know more, ill ask my dad to do a 'review' sometime. lol.

Now for the pics, thanks for reading. ++ More pics soon!++
Sorry for the quality, i had to resize them...

Rob

NSXType-R
04-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Cool. A Volvo that's not boring. Those are rare. You don't see much of those these days.:cool:

Ferrer
04-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Nice car. Understated and fast. I like it. :)

digitalcraft
04-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Cool. A Volvo that's not boring. Those are rare. You don't see much of those these days.:cool:

joo kidding me?!

Volvo (http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Volvo) (ps. you should read the article about the Ford Pinto's external combustion engine.)

twinspark
04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I find those V70's far better looking than the latter ones, possibly the best looking station wagons ever.

NSXType-R
04-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Besides the S80 and the S brand, they still look kinda mundane. Just my opinion. And they all look the same now. Hard to differentiate them from one another.

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-09-2007, 03:45 PM
That's a very cool car. Kudos.

bmwpower
04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
I find those V70's far better looking than the latter ones, possibly the best looking station wagons ever.

Better looking then the latter ones i agree, but as for best looking station wagons not to much, I think last-gen audi wagons, especially the all-road are the greatest looking of all time.

That having been said, a station wagon that does 0-100 in 6 secs is sweet. Volvos are generally underated, people only think safety, this is an example of more then just that.

my porsche
04-09-2007, 04:10 PM
my friend's got one of those except it's yellow and hers is the sedan.

fisetdavid26
04-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Wow, I'm usually against Volvo because their owners are mostly pricks where I live, so the brand image I have is quite bad. Anyway, that thing is powerful, 0-60 in 6 seconds! Very impressing. Also, the car looks good as do the wheels.

robcooper
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
my friend's got one of those except it's yellow and hers is the sedan.

This would be the 850 T-5R
Cheers

deffenbaugh03
04-09-2007, 04:49 PM
I've got an 850 turbo and I only get 19mpg. Lucky you i'm quite jealous.

robcooper
04-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I've got an 850 turbo and I only get 19mpg. Lucky you i'm quite jealous.

Haha, i wouldnt say lucky - 21 is the same as a 996 Turbo. And with the addition of a £600+ bill for service each time.......it aint cheap!

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 01:57 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love Volvo's!!!!!!!
I've grown up with 2 friends Dad's driving 2.5litre Volvo 850's and a friend who's Mum thrashed a 1998 V70 SE Sport 2.5 up until last month, they're just so cool, they're cheese block styling, the sheer size and then the noise the 2.4 and 2.5 made...
At current there are 5 silver V70's in my area, they are bombproof! well, almost... (R.I.P Sprinks' V70)
And then in 1999 we sadly parted with our '95 LR Discovery TDI and oh-so nearly purchased one of these said cars. a shiny new bright red V70R AWD 2.4 with my name on the end of the plates, but for some reason my Dad decided to leave it and go buy a car from the marque he'd always wanted, guess what...

Your Dad's got one hell of a car there, lucky sod...
LONG LIVE THE SWEEDISH TANKS!

robcooper
04-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Haha, i thought you'd be pretty happy with me posting it up , Tom! :p

It woulda been cool for your Dad to have one too, but you've still got an ....Audi, am i right?....Still great cars! (My Dad wants an RS6 Plus!)

Anyway, ill post up more pics sometime, once i got exams outta the way and al that stuff...:(

Cheers.

jediali
04-10-2007, 02:09 PM
this one of the few fast cars where people dont think your a git! you can help your mother move house at 150mph:)

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Haha, i thought you'd be pretty happy with me posting it up , Tom! :p

It woulda been cool for your Dad to have one too, but you've still got an ....Audi, am i right?....Still great cars! (My Dad wants an RS6 Plus!)

Anyway, ill post up more pics sometime, once i got exams outta the way and al that stuff...:(

Cheers.

YEP!!! Yeah, he opted for a new A6 1.8T over a V70R!:eek:
Gone now though, maybe a Volvo next year;) Unless I can persuade him to go RS6 but it's unlikely, he just dissmisses it with 'aah, it's the old style though... It's too similar to what I had." and I'm like "You had a 4-cylinder 1.8litre Turbo for crying out loud and with puny tin-can alloys, and very few options, not a 4.2litre Twin Turbo V8!! You're an idiot."

robcooper
04-10-2007, 02:23 PM
YEP!!! Yeah, he opted for a new A6 1.8T over a V70R!:eek:
Gone now though, maybe a Volvo next year;) Unless I can persuade him to go RS6 but it's unlikely, he just dissmisses it with 'aah, it's the old style though... It's too similar to what I had." and I'm like "You had a 4-cylinder 1.8litre Turbo for crying out loud and with puny tin-can alloys, and very few options, not a 4.2litre Twin Turbo V8!! You're an idiot."

Haha - i would have replied exactly the same....cant quite compare :p
Although Audis do LOOK great these days, S-Lines and all these diesels make me double take everytime!...And if im honest, i have to take a second look at most classic-shape V70s too! :p

Ive only ever seen 2 others..one was infront of my dad while he was in his van and i had just got off the bus - you shouldve seen both our faces. And he has seen 3 - one dark blue, the silver one and another laser blue......

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Haha - i would have replied exactly the same....cant quite compare :p
Although Audis do LOOK great these days, S-Lines and all these diesels make me double take everytime!...And if im honest, i have to take a second look at most classic-shape V70s too! :p

Ive only ever seen 2 others..one was infront of my dad while he was in his van and i had just got off the bus - you shouldve seen both our faces. And he has seen 3 - one dark blue, the silver one and another laser blue......

lol, I'm torn between Dad's ideas for his new car next year, host of Audi's another Landy or a Volvo:( Which to choooooooose....
Is your Dad's an Auto or manual?

robcooper
04-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Its a 5 spd Auto

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Its a 5 spd Auto

I prefer to hear the Auto Volvo 6-cyliders

No gaps in the noise!

My friend's Mum's V70 2.5 has gone now... replaced by 2004 Mazda 3 1.4 TS...

robcooper
04-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I prefer to hear the Auto Volvo 6-cyliders

No gaps in the noise!

My friend's Mum's V70 2.5 has gone now... replaced by 2004 Mazda 3 1.4 TS...

I know what you mean - even the XC90 sound pretty hearty when used properly :p . My Dad got quite an impressive sound clip on his mobile last year - managed to get wheel spin - pretty impossible lol.
Ill try and upload it sometime.

In the meantime, here is the vid i currently have on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67zZ-kQIxc

(Im not making excuses, but this video doesnt portray the speed very well....)

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 02:52 PM
I know what you mean - even the XC90 sound pretty hearty when used properly :p . My Dad got quite an impressive sound clip on his mobile last year - managed to get wheel spin - pretty impossible lol.
Ill try and upload it sometime.

In the meantime, here is the vid i currently have on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e67zZ-kQIxc

(Im not making excuses, but this video doesnt portray the speed very well....)

ahaha, lol, my Dad never drives fast...
Which Newton do you live in btw?

robcooper
04-10-2007, 02:54 PM
ahaha, lol, my Dad never drives fast...Which Newton do you live in btw?

Is it possible in a 1.8T?? :p - joking - great car :D

Newton in Cambridge...

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 03:00 PM
Is it possible in a 1.8T?? :p - joking - great car :D

Newton in Cambridge...

It did shift fairly well but not quite as well as our current 2.4... The 2.4 sounds better too...

robcooper
04-10-2007, 03:05 PM
It did shift fairly well but not quite as well as our current 2.4... The 2.4 sounds better too...

Yeah they sound pretty decent. I live about a quarter of a mile from a Porsche and Aston dealership and at the Aston place they sell approved performance cars. On the way to the bustop couple of weeks ago i saw an A4 3.0 Cabrio from there.....and it sounded soooo sweet! Great sounding six-cylinder....:eek:

Waugh-terfall
04-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Yeah they sound pretty decent. I live about a quarter of a mile from a Porsche and Aston dealership and at the Aston place they sell approved performance cars. On the way to the bustop couple of weeks ago i saw an A4 3.0 Cabrio from there.....and it sounded soooo sweet! Great sounding six-cylinder....:eek:

Oooh, I've only ever seen cars with them in, I've only ever heard the engine in a Golf VR6 undercover police car... Being ragged of course!:D

robcooper
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Niiice! They are great sounding engines - and while im here (and im sure that this'll be posted on UCP too, but im way too lazy to do it myself) i am a member of the Volvo Owners Club website, and someone posted up a link that pretty much said that Volvo are not going to make 'R' models in upcoming generations...:eek:

Its like my Dad was saying yesterday - Volvo were up there with the big boys in the mid to late 90s - they had the T-5 and Rs - coppers use(d) them , this alone is free advertising. But becasue of this 'negative' image that most people have on Volvos , that theyre safe and not fast, has made Volvo lost faith in themselves to make fast, practical, safe cars.....

My Dad finds himself extremely lucky to have even a 'warm' Volvo....

But look out on pistonheads.com Tom, there has been a few 265 Rs on there this past few months, all hovering around the £5/6K mark.....:p

Cheers.

Waugh-terfall
04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Niiice! They are great sounding engines - and while im here (and im sure that this'll be posted on UCP too, but im way too lazy to do it myself) i am a member of the Volvo Owners Club website, and someone posted up a link that pretty much said that Volvo are not going to make 'R' models in upcoming generations...:eek:

Its like my Dad was saying yesterday - Volvo were up there with the big boys in the mid to late 90s - they had the T-5 and Rs - coppers use(d) them , this alone is free advertising. But becasue of this 'negative' image that most people have on Volvos , that theyre safe and not fast, has made Volvo lost faith in themselves to make fast, practical, safe cars.....

My Dad finds himself extremely lucky to have even a 'warm' Volvo....

But look out on pistonheads.com Tom, there has been a few 265 Rs on there this past few months, all hovering around the £5/6K mark.....:p

Cheers.

We have a load of V70 T5 marked traffic cars around here, and I past an outgoing V70R AWD in the most hideous colour imaginable, I had a good mind to knock on the window and give him a good ticking off for ruining what would be a fantastic car by opting for it in the colour he had. It was vomit inducing!

robcooper
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
We have a load of V70 T5 marked traffic cars around here, and I past an outgoing V70R AWD in the most hideous colour imaginable, I had a good mind to knock on the window and give him a good ticking off for ruining what would be a fantastic car by opting for it in the colour he had. It was vomit inducing!

Haha, great. Do you mean the classic shape or current, sorry? And what colour was it in?

Waugh-terfall
04-11-2007, 01:32 PM
It was a current.
That...:
http://www.reiz.co.jp/cgi-bin/iwc/data/VOLVO_V70R2.jpg

robcooper
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
! I thought it may be that one - a guy owns one in the middle of Cambridge, in a minty greenish colour - probably the same as this but it looks slightly different...

IMO that shape is pretty boring - too much of a neutral design, trying to please everyone rather than having 'out there' or 'boxy' designs......oh well....

Rob

Waugh-terfall
04-11-2007, 01:50 PM
! I thought it may be that one - a guy owns one in the middle of Cambridge, in a minty greenish colour - probably the same as this but it looks slightly different...

IMO that shape is pretty boring - too much of a neutral design, trying to please everyone rather than having 'out there' or 'boxy' designs......oh well....

Rob

I really like them, but Boxy V70's FTW!!!
That's one thing my friend Alex was really upset about when their V70 went, he'd miss the boxiness of it, but now the Mazda 3 is growing seriously on him.

robcooper
04-13-2007, 05:18 AM
Posted this up mainly for Tom - hope this is allowed

http://cars.trovit.co.uk/index.php/cod.redirect/id.354482/precio.0/orden
por./page.2?que=volvo-v70-r

Dont see many of these for sale i can tell you :D....

Cheers

Equinox
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
I love volvo cars also. They are great cars that are unfortunatly like you said 'Underrated'.

I like that 1999T VOLVO V70 R AWD. Very nice car. I would love to have one. I'll take any Volvo.

Waugh-terfall
04-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Posted this up mainly for Tom - hope this is allowed

http://cars.trovit.co.uk/index.php/cod.redirect/id.354482/precio.0/orden
por./page.2?que=volvo-v70-r

Dont see many of these for sale i can tell you :D....

Cheers

£5k, not bad at all!!
The one we looked at was bright red with black leather/alcantara but I'm pretty sure it ran on 17s. Another cool feature was the registration: T*** TOM hells yeah!

robcooper
04-15-2007, 02:10 PM
Haha, cool that'd have been a great buy, and a personalised plate without having to get one seperately! Lol. And yeah, most go for about £5 - 7k, so, quite a bargain.

And at Equinox: Yeah great cars, but there is a good side to having an underated car, you can burn up some surprisingly good cars :p haha, and their faces when a Volvo goes past...ah dear...

On the way back from my dads parents, we pulled up behind an orange Focus ST2, and we were level pegging til about 140, then we took him :D
And then later a 3.0 E36 M3 5dr (286bhp), but that just about got away....

Cheers, Rob.

Waugh-terfall
04-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Ever beaten any 1.8T's in particular?

Personalised plates are a pain in the ass, I looked up M5 TCW (May5th Thomas Charles Waugh) because I want it for MY car next year, but it would cost be a about £3k!! Haven't tried M5 TW yet but that might have too few characters... :(

robcooper
04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Not sure really, there's been so many wins.... :p
*whistles* , christ! My Dad wanted 'V70 RMC' (V70R and V70 RMarkCooper) lol, and before that got snatched up it was about £400, not too bad i think.....

Waugh-terfall
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
How many miles has yours done?
My friend's that just sold their '98 V70 SE Sport 2.5Auto had about 130,000mi and was in perfect condition save for the leather looking a little tired and the leather on the doors starting to bubble up in the corners, it went because the steering rack had broken causing the car to pull to the right all the time. it had been driven very hard for the last 4/5yrs though
And another friend's Dad has a 1995 850 2.4Auto, looks good save for a few electronic gizmo's having packed up, I've noticed that it rattles and squeaks from the exhaust or suspension when in motion, anyone have any idea what it could be?

robcooper
04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Its just done 108,000. Dad bought it 3 years ago next month, with 60,000 on the clock. Dad has had many minor problems, and a couple of major ones. The steering rack has been done twice, and a couple of weeks ago, there was a problem with ignition - there was a loose 'conection' so wouldnt tick over 8/10. But that got repaired..at a high cost.

And im afraid i have no idea what it could be myself, although i'll ask my dad. He might know...Although i dont think a lot of Volvos had self-leveling suspension, so that could be it...just knackered....??
Not sure.

Anyway, cheers.

muscas
04-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Rob, I sounds like I have something like your dads car!

Patrick

IWantAnAudiRS6
04-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Heh heh... any pictures, Patrick?

robcooper
05-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Hi Rob, I sounds like I have something like your dads car!

Patrick

Sweet - pics!! :D

robcooper
05-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Hey guys.

Another video I took the same day as the other one, but ive only just uploaded this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WiFVS0SG2Y

speedy_2
05-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Love these cars. Sadly this one is made in such limited numbers. And is it even sold in the US?? If I could find one I'd love to have one.

Ingolstadt
06-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Ditto ! V70 R! Especially those handsome, understated rims. :)

best looking (from volvo)

robcooper
08-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, nice to know someone appreciates the R for once! There will be a small update soon, as dad has purchased some parts for it (badges, and a grille that he MIGHT fit but isnt sure). They are very sbtle changes.

Thanks again.

corvettefan
07-25-2011, 04:40 PM
I just dumped a new heart into my Mystic Silver '99. It has anthracite wheels, but they're a different style. Great fun, those Volvos are.