PDA

View Full Version : 2011 el camino????

roosterjuicer
04-10-2007, 07:45 AM
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2011/chevrolet/elcamino/future1.html

the drawing looks silly but im sure it would look better in real life. personally i was a big fan of the original el camino and i like the idea of the el camino...as kahn on king of the hill said, "a camaro is just a car, an el camino is a way of life"

baddabang
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
El Caminos used to look the the Chevelle not the Camaro. I hope GM doesn't mess this up.

aiasib
04-10-2007, 08:42 AM
any car from 2011 will look ridiculous to us in 2007

Matra et Alpine
04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
any car from 2011 will look ridiculous to us in 2007Like their last "resurrect the El Camino style" attempt ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Chevrolet-SSR.jpg/800px-Chevrolet-SSR.jpg

Looked ridiculous in 2000, looked ridiculous in 2003 and after failing to sell enough STILL looks ridiculous :)

GM are doomed :(

bmwpower
04-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Meh the article is all spectulation. This early in time i bet not even GM knows what it'll do.

Pando
04-10-2007, 09:52 AM
I feel like this is a old rumor and it's been posted here before... Does it sound familiar to anyone else?

Ferrer
04-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I feel like this is a old rumor and it's been posted here before... Does it sound familiar to anyone else?
No but photoshops/sketches of almost everything based on the Camaro have been in the interweb. So it wouldn't suprise me if it was old.

However... (http://www.leftlanenews.com/shock-general-motors-puts-zeta-rear-wheel-drive-revolution-on-hold.html)

SlickHolden
04-10-2007, 11:39 AM
http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/2011/chevrolet/elcamino/future1.html

the drawing looks silly but im sure it would look better in real life. personally i was a big fan of the original el camino and i like the idea of the el camino...as kahn on king of the hill said, "a camaro is just a car, an el camino is a way of life"
That looks shocking it really wont work if it's going to be a Pickup-ute.

No but photoshops/sketches of almost everything based on the Camaro have been in the interweb. So it wouldn't suprise me if it was old.

However... (http://www.leftlanenews.com/shock-general-motors-puts-zeta-rear-wheel-drive-revolution-on-hold.html)
Are they really so dumb? I wonder have they herd of Diesel V8's before? They don't know how to get a RWD car to get good fuel economy?? This decision i would suggest hurts Holden because there life is in Zeta if GM don't use it holdens in deep shit.

roosterjuicer
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
why do you say gm doesn't know how to get fuel economy out of RWD? both the corvette, and the corvette z06 have an amazing power to mileage ratio. their full size suv's and pickups get the best mileage of their class and those are RWD too.

Matra et Alpine
04-10-2007, 12:31 PM
why do you say gm doesn't know how to get fuel economy out of RWD? both the corvette, and the corvette z06 have an amazing power to mileage ratio. their full size suv's and pickups get the best mileage of their class and those are RWD too.
This is an international forum.

SO we there is a different expectation and delivery on "best mileage in class" :)

Spastik_Roach
04-10-2007, 12:41 PM
This is an international forum.

Don't tell uncle Sam that :)

Ferrer
04-10-2007, 12:43 PM
If you read the article in fact it's themselves who are saying that.

dydzi
04-10-2007, 12:45 PM
i just love speculating about cars that can be presented in 5 years time :D it's like... nearly 1/5 of my life!

ScionDriver
04-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Seems like every couple years theres another El Camino resurrection rumor, and inbetween are rumors of a Nomad resurrection.

jcp123
04-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, there's always some idea of resurrecting one of Chebby's past models.

Except I actually thought the SS/R was a good-looking truck, despite the presumptuous retro styling of it.

Then again this comes from someone who seems to think that the "ugly" cars like the Ford Taurus are lookers, so take it for what you will.

Quiggs
04-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Looked ridiculous in 2000, looked ridiculous in 2003 and after failing to sell enough STILL looks ridiculous :)

The SSR in The Island that Steve Buscemi drove was pretty awesome. Flat black, flames, hood scoop. Real rat rod theme to it.

baddabang
04-10-2007, 05:43 PM
The SSR in The Island that Steve Buscemi drove was pretty awesome. Flat black, flames, hood scoop. Real rat rod theme to it.

That and Scarlett Johansson were the only good things in that movie.

Quiggs
04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
That and Scarlett Johansson were the only good things in that movie.

Thread. Worthless. Without. Pictures.

Slicks
04-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Like their last "resurrect the El Camino style" attempt ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4e/Chevrolet-SSR.jpg/800px-Chevrolet-SSR.jpg

GM are doomed :(

uhhh, are you serious? That was GM's attempt at a retro 50's truck, not an El Camino...
http://www.kitcarlist.com/images/betsys-48chevytruck.jpg

SlickHolden
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
You rabbit. You made this thread but didn't bother reading it?? Bob Lutz said that;)
Try ferrer's link.

If you read the article in fact it's themselves who are saying that.
Yes thank you:)

fpv_gtho
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
Are they really so dumb? I wonder have they herd of Diesel V8's before? They don't know how to get a RWD car to get good fuel economy?? This decision i would suggest hurts Holden because there life is in Zeta if GM don't use it holdens in deep shit.

GMNA getting hesitant wont hurt Holden, theyve still got their established markets through the Middle East and are breaking through more in South East Asia.

Ford dont seem to be letting this get in their way however, and are apparently planning to have their RWD revolution in the states in the next 5 years

Matra et Alpine
04-11-2007, 01:50 AM
uhhh, are you serious? That was GM's attempt at a retro 50's truck, not an El Camino...

NOt my words .... :)

It was described as a CROSS of retro 50s and El Camino, hence the fenders (50s) and swooped bed (El Camino).

Note i did NOT say it was AN El Camino :)

Ferrer
04-11-2007, 02:28 AM
NOt my words .... :)

It was described as a CROSS of retro 50s and El Camino, hence the fenders (50s) and swooped bed (El Camino).

Note i did NOT say it was AN El Camino :)
What is interesting is that the original El Camino was unveiled in 1959, so it's technically a 50's car... ;)

taz_rocks_miami
04-11-2007, 08:13 AM
The problem with the SSR as I read was that you couldn't use the bed to carry anything, so it couldn't be used as a pick up truck. I think that's why it didn't see well.

SlickHolden
04-11-2007, 08:34 AM
GMNA getting hesitant wont hurt Holden, theyve still got their established markets through the Middle East and are breaking through more in South East Asia.

Ford dont seem to be letting this get in their way however, and are apparently planning to have their RWD revolution in the states in the next 5 years
GM backwards Ford Forwards:D.

Is the middle east Asia enough to bring home the bacon to keep them building here? The Statesman might be built overseas but after it had a little more influence from the overseas market as it was the biggest buyer of it it didn't seem to do it any harm?. In some ways a Caprice looks as good if not better then a Calais V and i think the Calais V is pretty nice also.

nota
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
http://www.kitcarlist.com/images/betsys-48chevytruck.jpg
SSR has much more similarity of style to the '55 Holden FJ ute imo :p
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=238396&d=1176308030

baddabang
04-11-2007, 10:29 AM
The problem with the SSR as I read was that you couldn't use the bed to carry anything, so it couldn't be used as a pick up truck. I think that's why it didn't see well.

I thinks its because you could spend a little bit extra and buy a corvette instead. However the bed was indeed very small and the interior was cramped too.

fpv_gtho
04-12-2007, 03:51 AM
GM backwards Ford Forwards:D.

Is the middle east Asia enough to bring home the bacon to keep them building here? The Statesman might be built overseas but after it had a little more influence from the overseas market as it was the biggest buyer of it it didn't seem to do it any harm?. In some ways a Caprice looks as good if not better then a Calais V and i think the Calais V is pretty nice also.

Well i dont think its quite as much as local sales, but they love the Statesman and Caprice in the Middle East, and theyre high profit earners. Holden in general has shifted to producing more profit per unit in their big plan that also revolves around a higher percentage of private sales. Admittedly, they might hurt from that as it did hinge on some US success, but i think the 30-50K units the G8 should pull was about what theyre aiming for.

So this current hesitance from GM shouldnt hurt Holden as they should have enough units to keep things going quite smoothly. About 150-180K units out of Elizabeth would be getting towards the capacity of production for Holden. Ford on the other hand, i have a suspicion could pull about 300K from Broadmeadows...

pAinTrAin
04-19-2007, 12:40 AM
I have seen drawings for the new firebird and chevelle, they both look like the Camaro with different tail lights and paint job...just people screwing around.

MorganK
04-24-2007, 11:35 AM
OK, while the GTO wasn't exactly a Monaro and the upcoming Pontiac G8 isn't really a Commodore I believe the next El Camino (20??) WILL be a rebadged UTE. I'd buy one in a heartbeat, if the import tax wasn't so high I'd import a SS now!

SlickHolden
04-25-2007, 06:56 AM
Hey???
If they aren't what are they lol.

fpv_gtho
04-25-2007, 07:25 AM
GM would have some seriously thick pie on their faces if after all the effort they put into the platform formerly known as Zeta, they just go and rebadge a Commodore ute. The whole idea is to have flexible sheet metal and theyre not even taking advantage of it. The G8 being a parts bin special is understandable as its something that couldve been on US streets in a matter of months after the VE Commodore launch.

For the record also, considering the Monaro/GTO and G8/Commodore all still share the sheetmetal, and any changes is pretty much just down to all the plastic bits, most people would easily consider them the same cars still.

SlickHolden
04-25-2007, 10:37 AM
But that's GM all over.. Grab something to toss in the U.S streets instead of using the brain and using that same car in another way, Like Zeta in the U.S.. Build out more cars faster with more home groan options with more U.S Flavour and a larger number. Holden showed what can be done by building the Camaro.. HSV showed how such a small change to the rear makes a huge change.

It might go down as a waste of money and a waste of a great platform by GM.

sunk
05-06-2007, 01:21 AM
Yeah, there's always some idea of resurrecting one of Chebby's past models.

Except I actually thought the SS/R was a good-looking truck, despite the presumptuous retro styling of it.

Actually most of its intented audience though it was a chick car. Chevy's VW Beetle convertible.

BTW, I also like '88 Taurus styling. Pretty neat.

Falcon500
05-07-2007, 12:50 AM
Well i dont think its quite as much as local sales, but they love the Statesman and Caprice in the Middle East, and theyre high profit earners. Holden in general has shifted to producing more profit per unit in their big plan that also revolves around a higher percentage of private sales. Admittedly, they might hurt from that as it did hinge on some US success, but i think the 30-50K units the G8 should pull was about what theyre aiming for.

So this current hesitance from GM shouldnt hurt Holden as they should have enough units to keep things going quite smoothly. About 150-180K units out of Elizabeth would be getting towards the capacity of production for Holden. Ford on the other hand, i have a suspicion could pull about 300K from Broadmeadows...

Thats all well and true but holden shot itself in the foot in many respects when they got rid of fleet discounts of any kind! Young carl our fleet manager became a salesman when his job was made reduntant now of all the stupid moves they could of made id have to say that was one of the worst volume sales might not draw big money but they definetly get the car out there,seviced (which is where the moneys really made anyways), used and very importantly seen.

Visionary or Lunatic id say that decision was the latter :rolleyes:

fordman6
06-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Not being racist or Oz biased, but what is with US designers? Well GM designers in general! At least Holden can make there cars look good!

adrenaline
06-21-2007, 04:27 AM
Don't worry, there will be some exciting projects coming out of GM over the next couple of years.

fpv_gtho
06-21-2007, 05:34 AM
Not being racist or Oz biased, but what is with US designers? Well GM designers in general! At least Holden can make there cars look good!

I think its to do with American tastes, and the desire to want to stand out more compared to say European or Asian society. The Monaro to us was sleek and sexy, to alot of Americans it didnt stand out against the rest of the Pontiac lineup.

P4g4nite
06-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Don't you guys already have about 40 of these future-retro-coupe pieces of crap in the works? All looking pretty much the same?