PDA

View Full Version : Dissecting an SLR.

Dino Scuderia
04-16-2007, 04:25 AM
Well...not really dissecting, just some minor maintenance.;)

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=693150

drakkie
04-16-2007, 04:41 AM
Now that is some packaging !

baddabang
04-16-2007, 07:09 AM
Thats maintenance? WTF?!

kingofthering
04-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I can't even begin to imagine the labor on that little repair....

ScionDriver
04-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Thats gotta be a bit more than maintenance, if not then man supercars are even more hard to maintain than I thought.

drakkie
04-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Thats gotta be a bit more than maintenance, if not then man supercars are even more hard to maintain than I thought.

It was a tiny broken evaparator for the air conditioning. It is a part 10 cm's big and nothing special. The problem is that MB made the packaging very tight. A bit more room for everything wouldn't have been too bad :)

Matra et Alpine
04-16-2007, 08:30 AM
Making servicing easy and parts accessable is why we all end being offered ugly boxes for cars !!!
SPORTS cars and SUPERCARS are about engineering and performance :)
Want cheap/simple servicing - buy a Kia !!!

Cotterik
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
bloody hell. thats one heck of a service :p

jediali
04-16-2007, 09:21 AM
do you think it cost £20k like a mclaren F1

Matra et Alpine
04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
do you think it cost £20k like a mclaren F1
warranty :)

nota
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Making servicing easy and parts accessable is why we all end being offered ugly boxes for cars !!!
SPORTS cars and SUPERCARS are about engineering and performance :)
Want cheap/simple servicing - buy a Kia !!!
Re ugly boxes and in similar vein, those blocky Mercedes W140 S-Class from 1991-on are notorious for defective A/C evaporators from new. It seems the vast majority of that model have been afflicted. To replace a W140 evaporator is a nightmare as the entire dashboard needs to be removed, a huge and complex task. In labour alone this job takes between 20-28 hours :eek: plus the cost of the (expensive) part itself. Remember this if any of your friends are ever tempted by a 'cheap' W140

There are innumerable examples of modern everyday cars that may have been carefully engineered for easy mass-assembly at the factory, but with little to zero thought given by designers to cater for practical, let alone easy, post-assembly repair

Eg: the labour cost to replace a simple heater core on early Commodores (thanks Opel!) is often worth more than current book value of the car itself, compared to 45 minutes max for the same job on Holden's preceding Kingswood model

drakkie
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
There are innumerable examples of modern everyday cars that may have been carefully engineered for easy mass-assembly at the factory, but with little to zero thought given by designers to cater for practical, let alone easy, post-assembly repair

Eg: the labour cost to replace a simple heater core on early Commodores (thanks Opel!) is often worth more than current book value of the car itself, compared to 45 minutes max for the same job on Holden's preceding Kingswood model

I especially like the three hours it takes to replace a simple light in the New Beetle... When i design them, i promise i'll try and keep these things in mind :)

NSXType-R
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Jeez, that looks like a freaking pain....

Ingolstadt
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
Great link!

by the way.... same goes with Audi. cooling coil down.... remove ya dash!

carsnut
04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
They had to remove the entire dashboard JUST to replace a leaky A/C part? Seems like a lot of trouble...................................though you can tell the owner the hassle so you can overcharge them for labor xD :D

NSXType-R
04-18-2007, 03:21 PM
They had to remove the entire dashboard JUST to replace a leaky A/C part? Seems like a lot of trouble...................................though you can tell the owner the hassle so you can overcharge them for labor xD :D

Where else are they going to make a profit off of these cars?:p