PDA

View Full Version : Holden Mondaro in the UK

Matra et Alpine
04-17-2004, 01:27 PM
OK, some rushed photos....

Full press release on it's way and I'll post it then.

In the meantime, here are some stills from the Monaro at Knockhill ysterday and today ( I've some nice video too, but need to do some editing )

Mustang
04-17-2004, 01:34 PM
well done matra thanks that is a great looking car i think. but as you say maybee a bit to heavy to be a good sports car.

i love the looks fo that car :D did anyone else see it on tv the other week when they were doing a race somewhere in europe that was origonally started for porsches??. there was a raced prepared holden there and it was tipped to be the favourite then when it started they found out that porsche had, had one of there new GT3' shipped over specially for the event and that took first place with the holden in 2nd

carlover
04-17-2004, 01:36 PM
I like the words on the side that say "THE MONARO IS HERE. GAME OVER." :)

UK CARS
04-17-2004, 02:32 PM
nice work matra, did you get the chance to drive it around the track??
looking foward to see this video! :)

Mustang
04-17-2004, 02:47 PM
nice work matra, did you get the chance to drive it around the track??
looking foward to see this video! :)

he said to me that he was only allowed in as a passenger for insurance reasons :(

Matra et Alpine
04-17-2004, 05:17 PM
he said to me that he was only allowed in as a passenger for insurance reasons :(
BUT I will be driving one later this week :)
THe salesman from the only Scottish dealer to get Monaros has agreed a test drive - but it will be on roads. Fortunately I know some good, quiet and easy to see roads around here :) He phoned my while I was on-track in the MGB :)
The driver on the track these past 2 days was one of the instructors at Knockhill and we were discussin the handling while I was out. So we drifted it a LITTLE harder and pushed it a little more than he had been. A VERY well behaved chassis for something that big ( for the money ).
Last day tomorrow, so we'll see what else is out on track.
Will talk to Wouter about maybe doing a 'proper' UCP report rather than just posting it here. You'll love the noise of the Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari team with the 2 360 racers out :)

xareth
04-18-2004, 01:14 AM
if anyone can tell me how to post a video (from a file, not a url), i have the monaro being tested in australia and its very sideways!

whiteballz
04-18-2004, 01:32 AM
monaros are heavy, but compensate with power, (the aussie and american way) stupid but it works! haha! game over is from an ad campain for the monaro, its a racing game and the monaro overtakes porsches, ferrari's, lambo's a dodge i think and a M5 or M3, other cars aswell. at the end it finishes the ad with that slogan. the ad got the plug bacause it showed dangerous driving...

Spastik_Roach
04-18-2004, 03:36 AM
Yeah isn't that a supremely gay law? It deletes any bloody chance of a remote chance of entertainment in ads. F*ck it I just got to swear cause its so bloody annoying! Shitty!

Falcon500
04-18-2004, 04:16 AM
monaros are heavy, but compensate with power, (the aussie and american way) stupid but it works! haha! game over is from an ad campain for the monaro, its a racing game and the monaro overtakes porsches, ferrari's, lambo's a dodge i think and a M5 or M3, other cars aswell. at the end it finishes the ad with that slogan. the ad got the plug bacause it showed dangerous driving...
stupid yeah surrre.....your begging to sound like guy_tx with some of your comments.....
It did same with the burnout adds...funny how the one tonner add got the go ahead....personally i thought them add other then the first ute add was shit...holden have a really bad track record for bad adds lately....

Matra et Alpine
04-18-2004, 06:31 PM
UK-spec is :
333 HP 5.7 litre V8 engine
Torque 465 Nm @ 4,000 RPM
6-speed manual transmission with limited-slip differential.
ABS & switchable traction control
0-60 in 6.0 seconds & top speed 160+ mph

The driver at knockhill switched the traction control off :)

whiteballz
04-18-2004, 07:33 PM
in which way do i sound liky guy_xt? the stupid comment? thats just the way i feel! as you can gather from my sig i hate v8 aussie culture! i dont hate all v8's i love the GT-HO and the old stuff, but nowadays i guess i hate all the holden drivers and the *hotted* up cars. i guess that hate spills over into me hating most v8's! hahaha i am sorry if i offended you falc, but thats just the way i think. there is no bashing of v8's in that post and certianly none ment.
i said stupid but i works. as long as it works its OK. but there is something about v8 culture.

fpv_gtho
04-18-2004, 08:29 PM
BUT I will be driving one later this week :)
THe salesman from the only Scottish dealer to get Monaros has agreed a test drive - but it will be on roads. Fortunately I know some good, quiet and easy to see roads around here :) He phoned my while I was on-track in the MGB :)
The driver on the track these past 2 days was one of the instructors at Knockhill and we were discussin the handling while I was out. So we drifted it a LITTLE harder and pushed it a little more than he had been. A VERY well behaved chassis for something that big ( for the money ).
Last day tomorrow, so we'll see what else is out on track.
Will talk to Wouter about maybe doing a 'proper' UCP report rather than just posting it here. You'll love the noise of the Scuderia Ecosse Ferrari team with the 2 360 racers out :)

i'd say after this experience you would greatly appreciate a drive in either an HSV GTS sedan (the latest version) or an FPV GT. of course neither are available in the UK, but the Monaro's already over there so its possible. the HSV GTS was recently upgraded and got an adjustable Ohlins damper package that apparently can take a couple of seconds off lap times in the right hands. the cars quite possible have some of the most advanced chassis's to come out of Australia and although the FPV GT is held back by an 1800kg kerb weight, it is a pretty good handler

crisis
04-19-2004, 12:09 AM
Dont we all?

crisis
04-19-2004, 12:26 AM
in which way do i sound liky guy_xt? the stupid comment? thats just the way i feel! as you can gather from my sig i hate v8 aussie culture! i dont hate all v8's i love the GT-HO and the old stuff, but nowadays i guess i hate all the holden drivers and the *hotted* up cars. i guess that hate spills over into me hating most v8's! hahaha i am sorry if i offended you falc, but thats just the way i think. there is no bashing of v8's in that post and certianly none ment.
i said stupid but i works. as long as it works its OK. but there is something about v8 culture.
I cant see why your preference for small turbo 4 cylinder cars from one particular manufacturer precludes you from accepting the merits of anything else. While I acknowledge your comment about Aussie V8s is aimed at V8 culture and I imagine the meat head element, they are equally as offensive as the Ricer element that infest you world. I love Aussie V8s but I seriously considered a S15 200SX before buying my SV8. I see merits in both styles. I would have had to amputate my childrens legs for the Nissan though.

crisis
04-19-2004, 12:28 AM
By the way, I strongly suggest you do the same. Its on the console by the handbrake if you dont want to ask the dealer.

whiteballz
04-19-2004, 01:13 AM
i formerly appologise crisiss, and i do realise that there are hated ricer's out there (we all hate them, some more then others :p ) i hate some, i do not hold prefrence for fast fours over v8's, i just like them more. i think that brute power would be great fun to drive, i would love to drive the v8 BRutes, but it seems that there are too many oldish holdens. i do not hate all holdens, just the ricer variation ones, which i guess i should have made clear before i let my mouth open. i appologise everyone if i upset you and i hope to carry on as a fully active member of these forums.

not how much can one person appologise?

350hp_civic
04-19-2004, 02:03 AM
yea i get alot of monaro's here in NZ. actually my uncles got one. very random but i excell in randomness :confused: :o :rolleyes: :p

Matra et Alpine
04-19-2004, 02:18 AM
By the way, I strongly suggest you do the same. Its on the console by the handbrake if you dont want to ask the dealer.
hee-hee, great minds think alike :)

Already got the instructions :) - and advice on best way to get the most out of it from the driver - he is a professional instructor :)

Spastik_Roach
04-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Theres a car in town that has a full HSV bodykit and everything to make it look like a HSV, but its actually a bog standard 3.8 V6 Base spec Executive model under all the bodykit :p :p . Thats Australasian domestic rice :D

fpv_gtho
04-19-2004, 02:51 AM
im pretty sure you can option the HSV bodykits through HBD, a teacher at my school actually drives a maroon VX with the same thing done

fpv_gtho
04-19-2004, 02:53 AM
but it seems that there are too many oldish holdens

Well would you rather pay a couple of grand for a 1972 HQ Kingswood V8, or a 1995 Hyundai Excel?

whiteballz
04-19-2004, 02:59 AM
to tell you the truth, i wouldnt buy ether, i probably seem like an arsehole about this and have appologised many times. so im not going to again. + i like the kingswood
haha! my sister spiflicated her foot on a kingswood badge... looked rather excrutiating, newho, i just dont like old commodores. i dont mind much else. not if we could get back to the toppic on hand...

the manaro you will love to drive matra, apparently very smooth... im not sure.

Matra et Alpine
04-19-2004, 03:00 PM
Not the best, but I get 3 people happy with the one clip.
GT40 leads Monaro and VX220 round the hairpin at knockhill
click to see 1.5Mb video (http://www.iwsconsultants.com/cars/knockhill/GT40%20Monaro%20VX220%20at%20Knockhill%20hairpin%2 018-4-2004t.avi)

whiteballz
04-19-2004, 03:05 PM
now this is where 512 kb net helps! cant wait to see it! oh. there we go, ive got it

crisis
04-19-2004, 05:01 PM
click to see 1.5Mb video (http://www.iwsconsultants.com/cars/knockhill/GT40%20Monaro%20VX220%20at%20Knockhill%20hairpin%2 018-4-2004t.avi)
beautiful slide. I would shit putting my Commy into a corner like that.

crisis
04-19-2004, 05:04 PM
Theres a car in town that has a full HSV bodykit and everything to make it look like a HSV, but its actually a bog standard 3.8 V6 Base spec Executive model under all the bodykit :p :p . Thats Australasian domestic rice :D
A HSV body kit on a V6 exec does nothing for me Im afraid. Tasteful bodykits and mods, to my way of thinking must be in sync with the rst of the car. ie a genuine HSV with the go can have the appropriate show to match.

crisis
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
i formerly appologise crisiss, and i do realise that there are hated ricer's out there (we all hate them, some more then others :p ) i hate some, i do not hold prefrence for fast fours over v8's, i just like them more. i think that brute power would be great fun to drive, i would love to drive the v8 BRutes, but it seems that there are too many oldish holdens. i do not hate all holdens, just the ricer variation ones, which i guess i should have made clear before i let my mouth open. i appologise everyone if i upset you and i hope to carry on as a fully active member of these forums.

not how much can one person appologise?
Relax, I wanst upset, what do I care really, but I do take people to task on what I think are illogical comments or points of view. I am not guiltless in the area of making stupid and sweeping comments myself either. Sometimes the mood just takes you. Im always ready for a spray when I do though.

Matra et Alpine
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
beautiful slide. I would shit putting my Commy into a corner like that.
That was one of his gentle ones.

Later on he was getting cocky and pithcing it sideways, throttling out of the corner sideways with lots of tyre smoke AND waving with his right hand out the drivers window. Cocky b*gg*r :)

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 12:19 AM
how wet were the conditions? from some of the pictures it doesnt look like a 30 degree day with clear skies

henk4
04-22-2004, 02:22 AM

Nice video, which also clearly shows the amount of ground the Monaro is loosing against the 220 in the corners.

fpv_gtho
04-22-2004, 02:33 AM
well thats lower weight and better balance for you....apparently the latest Motor Magazine has pictures of a Ford Fairlane G220 of all things going past a Monaro around a track

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Nice video, which also clearly shows the amount of ground the Monaro is loosing against the 220 in the corners.
An explanation is in order :)
Both cars were being driven by professional racign drivers.
BUT, the guy in the Monaro was out for fun and to please the crowd.
When I was out with him we were discussing how much rubber he could leave at the hairpin.
He wasn't interested in fastest he wanted the prize for most entertaining :)
On the straights the Monaro held the VX220 quite well and through most of the corners.
There were 3 where it lost hand over fist !!!
I was impressed by the Monaro.
I've a pic or vid somewhere of him coming round sideways, full power and waving with one hand out the window. 'course he nearly lost ot a couple of times with that stunt :)
But pushing that amount of weight costs - the Monaro went through 3 seats of rears and 2 fronts during the weekend. The VX220 all on one set :)

henk4
04-22-2004, 04:42 AM
Well, tuesday i watched a 7 litre Galaxy 500 (the Ex Lord Beaverbrook car) being raced at Le Mans, so talking about weight!!,
I also saw a Camaro Z28 being shown the way by a humble (sometimes two-wheeling) Cooper S (115 BHP), just to show that shear force is not always the way to go but that's nothing new to most of us.

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Well, tuesday i watched a 7 litre Galaxy 500 (the Ex Lord Beaverbrook car) being raced at Le Mans, so talking about weight!!,
I also saw a Camaro Z28 being shown the way by a humble (sometimes two-wheeling) Cooper S (115 BHP), just to show that shear force is not always the way to go but that's nothing new to most of us.
My earliest recollection as a kid going to watch racing was seeing those huge Galaxies race the Mini's and Mk1 Cortinas :).
It made great racing as one was faster on the straight and the others were more nimble and could carry faster speed through corners. Can't remember the number of times I've seen a Mini shoot up the insude of a sliding Galaxie to take the lead :)
Any viideo ???
We still occasionaly see a Galaxie come up to Knockhill for the classic race.
I think tyres have come a long way for the bigger cars as the smaller cars no longer seem able to catch them as much in the corners and there's less 4 wheel drifting going on - shame :(

henk4
04-22-2004, 04:51 AM
My earliest recollectino as a kid going to watch racing was seeing those huge galaxies race the Mini's and Mk1 Cortinas :).
It made great racing as one was faster on the straight and the others were more nimbel and could carry faster speed through corners. Can't remember the number of times I've seena a Mini shoot up the insude of a sliding Galaxie to take the lead :)

It seems nothing has changed! :)

fpv_gtho
04-22-2004, 04:59 AM
My earliest recollection as a kid going to watch racing was seeing those huge Galaxies race the Mini's and Mk1 Cortinas :).
It made great racing as one was faster on the straight and the others were more nimble and could carry faster speed through corners. Can't remember the number of times I've seen a Mini shoot up the insude of a sliding Galaxie to take the lead :)

Perhaps not surprisingly, until 1967 when the Falcon GT was released, the Bathurst 500 mile endurance event was dominated by BMC Mini's and Cortina GT's. There were larger cars like Customlines competing but the drivers had to push the cars into a slide to have any attempt of making the corners

Matra et Alpine
04-22-2004, 05:14 AM
how wet were the conditions? from some of the pictures it doesnt look like a 30 degree day with clear skies
missed this :)

Knockhill http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?X=300000.207057762&Y=700000.737945886&width=700&height=400&client=public&gride=306857.207057762&gridn=693532.737945886&srec=0&coordsys=gb&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&scale=500000&out.x=7&out.y=6
In the middle of bloody nowhere with no trees to break the wind or rain and no shelter from those or the sun.

It has it's own weather climate.
It can be clear blue skies and sunny EVERYWHERE else in Scotland and those bloody hills will attract clouds, wind and heavy downpours.

First day was overcast with a few birght sessions. But got VERY cold and dark and wet later on.
Second day started out that way. THEN it turned nasty. High gusting winds and VERY HEAVY rain. Commercial stand next to ours had their tent torn apart as they tried to stop it blowing away. LARGE marquee erected along from us had ripped three lag-bolts OUT of the ground on one side. Most folks packed up and went home and couple of hours early.
Third day was as first
In amongst the 3 days, I took every sunny time as an opporutnity to go get more photos to share here at UCP :)

There are only 2 weather systmes in Knockhill and both cause burnt chapped faces.
It's either brilliant sunshine and you get burnt or it's sh!tty and you get wind-burn.
Either way you come home worse state than you went seeking either a warm bath or after-sun. Nobody seems able to predict which :)

and THIS is the home of Scottish motorsport :eek:

I'm not complaining, I managed to get this awesome picture. It is untouched ( cept for (C) ) :)
Here it is in higer-res - may be it'll make POTD :)
Scottish Ferrari race team - Scuderia Ecosse 360.....

fpv_gtho
04-22-2004, 05:32 AM
those conditions are not too astray from several tracks in Australia, Bathurst especially can be subjected to either very warm or very cold conditions. over the past 41 Bathurst endurance events (42 after this October's event) there would have been several times the race started on clear, sunny skies and ended in either rain and heavy winds, or hail at the top of the mountain and sunshine at the bottom which played hell on the tyres