PDA

View Full Version : Subaru Dealer Woes Anyone?

LandQuail
05-05-2007, 12:04 AM
OK.

This is a 30-minute story I'm going to boil down for everybody.

I've got a 2004 Subaru WRX STi (look on UCA Official Ownership Thread, or whatever the **** it's called.) and I've had nothing but grief for 56,000 miles of ownership from my dealer.

I got the extended, 100,000 mile warranty, because I was sure it would be buying me all sorts of engine/drivetrain parts eventually. Approaching 60,000 miles, the STi is proving to be bulletproof, but my dealer has been a constant pain in the ass.

First of all, I had the shop manager of Riverside Acura/Subaru, a scrawny, Barney Rubble-looking cocksucker named James, test-drive my car because it was making an odd sound I thought was coming from the rear differential. I hopped in the passenger seat and he took off from the dealership at full throttle and proceeded to accellerate to 70 mph in traffic. I got pissed and asked him to slow down, calling him a mother****er in the process.

Whoops. Did I say that?

Anyway, he did slow down, for a while, then he ****-shifted from third to second gear at about 55mph, overrevving my engine by a thousand RPM or so. I was ****ing Irate.

However, the shift pattern in an STi is pretty tight, especially if you spend most of your time test-driving Acuras. I was pissed and screaming, but he wasn't saying anything.

I asked for an apology — something along the lines of "sorry, man. It's an exciting car and I guess I got carried away."

James would not apologize. Instead, he got angry too, saying he hadn't done anything wrong.

So, of course, I went and told his manager what a shitheel I thought James was.

Two years pass, and he tells me I owe $1,800 for two STi struts the dealership replaced under warranty.

I'd broken one rear strut when I hit a pothole going sideways. I just told them I hit a pothole and started hearing a funny sound afterwards... why do they have to know I was in the middle of a gorgeous 4-wheel drift when the rain-filled, invisible pothole reached out and snapped my car towards the opposite curb?

James himself told me he'd replace all four, since I had about 45,000 miles on the struts and 50,000 is their life expectancy anyway.

This all happened about a year ago, and I haven't heard from Riverside Acura/Subaru since.

But I took my car in for a quick once-over before taking a long honeymoon trip, and this James cocksucker walks in while I'm talking to the shop foreman and tells me I owe him for the pair of struts... at $1,800.

I told him what he told me, which he flatly denied, saying the dealership had contacted me an I had refused to pay.

I made what I thought was a valid point: I would never have bought struts for them at $1,800 when I could get the exact same struts for $450 each from my local speed shop. Then I called him a mother****er again for insulting my character accusing me of cheating the dealership.

I challenged him to produce any documentation showing how I owed anybody there a ****ing dime for anything, and he said "I don't need to pull your file, I know it's there."

The shop foreman reached into his desk and said "I'm not going to get into the middle of this, but here's his file." There were a dozen forms showing where I'd signed to purchase parts and pay for them, and other forms showing where I'd signed off on them — after paying for them — before they were installed and other forms showing where I'd signed off after paying for the labor of installing them.

James, the cocksucker, leafed through it halfheartedly and said "As I understood it, you agreed to pay for these, then we never heard from you again," which is utter bullshit, since there were three purchase orders dated past the day the shocks were intalled showing that I'd been in there to buy Subaru oil filters. I grabbed on of them and said "then what the **** is this thing? Why didn't the cashier let me know about owing you ****ers anything?"

He told me if I wasn't going to pay for my parts, he'd rather not have my business, and refused to check my car before my road-trip.

After really, really losing my cool (and my usual mastery of profanity) and calling James a "****ing little shithead" (I really, really could have done better), I walked across the building and explained the situation to the Manager, who seemed sympathetic, but was clearly ready to side with an employee rather than a random, furious customer.

Has anybody else ever had this sort of trouble with a dealership? I know car dealer-types are lowlife assholes (read that chapter halfway through John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath and you'll know what I mean), but this seemed really beyond the pale...

Now I've got to drive two and a half hours to get to the nearest Subie dealership to honor the remaining 44,000 miles of my warranty.

And, for the record, I'm not a hard guy to get along with. I've got three mortal enemies I've made in my 24 years: one I met in college, the other's awaiting sentencing before a U.S. Grand Jury and the other's a Service Department Manager for Riverside Acura Subaru in Little Rock Arkansas named James.

What the ****?

IBrake4Rainbows
05-05-2007, 12:16 AM
If you've not signed for it, they can't charge you for it.

if you've paid for it, your liable.

It's as simple as that.

I can imagine it pissing you off him calling you a liar but you need to look at this rationally and coldly. if possibly ask them to remove the work and replace it with the originals, if possible.

drakkie
05-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Or sue them since you live in the USA anyway, it's the tradition :D

LandQuail
05-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Two very valid points, but the STi pinks are original parts and you have to have enought startup money to begin a lawsuit — it's the new American entrepeneurism, and it's about as expensive as starting a business to boot.

Also, I'm not a believer in the "sue everybody who pisses you off" bullshit. I'd rather stew and have an apocalyptic battle the next time we cross paths at the grocer's.

Also, **** them. I'd rather turn my STi into a birdbath than take it to them ever again. Two other STis roam my town, and they both gave up on Riverside before I did. Both take their cars to Memphis, Tennessee, where I'll be going from now on.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-05-2007, 01:04 AM
I'm a big believer in kicking people in the balls personally.

even the women.

LandQuail
05-05-2007, 01:05 AM
you've got to do what you've got to do...

LandQuail
05-05-2007, 01:17 AM
And to make it 550 posts:

**** RIVERSIDE ACURA SUBARU!!! I HOPE THE PLACE BLOWS UP!!!

SUBARU STi IS THE GREATEST!!! EVOS ARE FOR CHILDREN!!!

I'M GOING TO BED!!!

IBrake4Rainbows
05-05-2007, 01:56 AM
As always a quality post, Quail.

Your dreams would likely scare us mortals.

pimento
05-05-2007, 04:17 AM
As always a quality post, Quail.

Your dreams would likely scare us mortals.

On the other hand, they'd probably make a remarkable film...

kingofthering
05-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Y'know LandQuail, try going to an independent after the 100,000. Or aftermarket. Another alternative is to s**t in a paper bag and leave it at the entrance of the service bay. Then set it on fire and laugh as they stomp on it.

You could also destroy them Gail Wynad (Fountainhead reference) style by writing a semi-false article denouncing them and telling others how they are all anti-christian and anti-sematic pagans and that they were all pedophile homosexuals who also enjoyed incest with their uncles. Also tell the people that those mean bastards refused to honor your warranty even though you loved the car so much you wanted to f**k it and sacrifice your first born to save it.

Falcon500
05-06-2007, 02:06 AM
Quail I sympathise with your plight but loosing your cool doesnt really help (although i dont blame you i would of lost my cool about mid way if it was me) If you complain to subaru directly and get a large number of other people who have legitimate problems with them they can give them a big wake up call. We have done it to a local holden and ford dealer before and there was some massive shake ups at those dealerships manufactuors dont like unhappy customers unhappys customers are rarely returning customers.

baddabang
05-06-2007, 04:58 AM
I once called a Subaru dealer to ask them about their WRX inventory, as I didn't want to drive 2hrs to the dealership just for nothing. Well the dealer must of had caller-ID and got my cell phone number off of it, because he continued to call me twice a day for about a week until I flipped out on him over the phone. He was a persistent little bastard, and I never took the 2hr trip to the dealership because of him.

john14
05-06-2007, 06:05 AM
I once called a Subaru dealer to ask them about their WRX inventory, as I didn't want to drive 2hrs to the dealership just for nothing. Well the dealer must of had caller-ID and got my cell phone number off of it, because he continued to call me twice a day for about a week until I flipped out on him over the phone. He was a persistent little bastard, and I never took the 2hr trip to the dealership because of him.

Pat, I see thousands of Subaru WRX's and Nissan Skylines in Adelaide, Australia and in other cities of Australia. Subaru and Nissan ricer cars are extremely popular in Australia. Generally, are Subaru WRX's rare in the United States of America?

Falcon500
05-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Pat, I see thousands of Subaru WRX's and Nissan Skylines in Adelaide, Australia and in other cities of Australia. Subaru and Nissan ricer cars are extremely popular in Australia. Generally, are Subaru WRX's rare in the United States of America?

not at all i know plenty of americans who have them and dont go tarring them all as ricers there only rice if they are modded wrong (or pointlessly)

baddabang
05-06-2007, 03:29 PM

Our nearest Subaru dealer is about a 2hrs drive away, and I only see the everyday foresters, outbacks, and that large ugly SUV crossover thing they make.

not at all i know plenty of americans who have them and dont go tarring them all as ricers there only rice if they are modded wrong (or pointlessly)

They're a great car I hear and thats why I was so interested in a test drive. There is a dealer across the bridge in Canada I may go visit.

adamfraser
05-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Ach see, Bring your Scoobies over to West side of Scotland to the dealership I work at, no problems like that at all. ;)

jcp123
05-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Our only problem is that there's no Subie dealer here in town...nearest is in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Metroplex, about 2 hours away. My parents would love to have one, but it's not practical for us...

LandQuail
05-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Y'know LandQuail, try going to an independent after the 100,000. Or aftermarket. Another alternative is to s**t in a paper bag and leave it at the entrance of the service bay. Then set it on fire and laugh as they stomp on it.

You could also destroy them Gail Wynad (Fountainhead reference) style by writing a semi-false article denouncing them and telling others how they are all anti-christian and anti-sematic pagans and that they were all pedophile homosexuals who also enjoyed incest with their uncles. Also tell the people that those mean bastards refused to honor your warranty even though you loved the car so much you wanted to f**k it and sacrifice your first born to save it.

I like the cut of your jib, KOTR, and admire your patience as exemplified by being able to read Ayn Rand.

I never could stomach anything she wrote. It's hard to believe anybody born of Iron-Curtain-era Russia could write anyting saccarin-sweet, but she did it. I've read Atlas Weeped, and it left me feeling a bit sorry for Rand.

I guess it was a rebellion against Dostoyevski and Tolstoy's bleak, wintry style, but it never set right with me. I caught many of the same tones we in America see here with earnest, zealous Christian fundamentalists — by which I mean it made Freedom reek of the same horseshit late-night cable TV evangelical types mist over the teachings of Jesus.

That being said, I don't feel anything other than sorrow for this James cocksucker. He's a leach on the underbelly of an increasingly anemic world, but I don't want him to buy my parts for me.

The only thing he said that I believed from our last (ever) conversation was "we're going to have to eat that," referring to the price of a pair of struts ($1,800, somehow)

I don't want James to buy my parts, and I'm pretty sure he did. He really doesn't know what the **** he's doing. He told me at one point my clutch friction plate was under warranty...

Honestly, I'd sooner put a burning bag with 18 hundred-dollar bills on his desk and light it, along with a note stapled to it saying "Buy your kids something nice for X-Mas, eat shit; die."

Falcon500
05-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Our nearest Subaru dealer is about a 2hrs drive away, and I only see the everyday foresters, outbacks, and that large ugly SUV crossover thing they make.

They're a great car I hear and thats why I was so interested in a test drive. There is a dealer across the bridge in Canada I may go visit.

Well dont write off the forrester turbo either their a good fun car and their quite practical too :D other then the crossover its gross.

Mate enjoy i loved driveing the few I have (99 sti,01,02 and 07 sti) and they are all plenty of fun :D