Piacki_117
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Vote for who's photo you think is best

dydzi
the reds - lancia delta integrale, 037 and jide barchetta
south of france
28-04-07
sony alpha 100
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=242095&d=1178142817

Pinin
Cayenne (and RS4)
London
Sunday
Canon 20D
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=242350&d=1178317494

Cotterik
05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
if dydzi's were closer up, itd get my vote.

drakkie
05-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Exactly what i was thinking.

henk4
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM

if the Cayenne was further away.....:)

Matt
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I think some people are voting based on the cars in the photo, not on the quality of the photo. It's unfortunate that it's also some of the people who complain about others doing the same.

Ingolstadt
05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
if the Cayenne was further away.....:)

LoLz :D

Lancia Delta Integrale > Porsche Cayenne
037 > RS4

dydzi
05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
I think some people are voting based on the cars in the photo, not on the quality of the photo. It's unfortunate that it's also some of the people who complain about others doing the same.

Lancia Delta Integrale > Porsche Cayenne
037 > RS4

right on! :D

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:06 AM

you were quick to take the bait....:D

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
you were quick to take the bait....:D

Lucky, I guess.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Lucky, I guess.

sure, you are right....a Cayenne pic is a waste of pixels:)

Wouter Melissen
05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
And then there is the white glare and poor composition.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:24 AM
And then there is the white glare and poor composition.

Neither of the pictures is perfect - none of the pics in these competitions are. But, at least the Cayenne is in focus and also has a focal point. It also shows action, which is a plus and harder to capture. dydzi's photo could have been so much better had just some more time been taken on the setup. It's a static photo. The focus, the lighting, everything could have and should have been perfect. The Cayenne photo was a quick catch, a literal point and shoot to catch the moment. And the lighting and focus is better still.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:25 AM
sure, you are right....a Cayenne pic is a waste of pixels:)

You've said before, a good picture can be taken of any car. Stop being a hypocrit. This is a photo competition, not a "I saw the best car" competition. Leave that to the "I just saw..." thread.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:27 AM
You've said before, a good picture can be taken of any car. Stop being a hypocrit. This is a photo competition, not a "I saw the best car" competition. Leave that to the "I just saw..." thread.

sometimes principles have to be discarded.....in the interest of cars:)

Matt
sometimes principles have to be discarded.....in the interest of cars:)

It's funny that you think a smiley makes your hypocrisy less blatant.

Wouter Melissen
Neither of the pictures is perfect - none of the pics in these competitions are. But, at least the Cayenne is in focus and also has a focal point. It also shows action, which is a plus and harder to capture. dydzi's photo could have been so much better had just some more time been taken on the setup. It's a static photo. The focus, the lighting, everything could have and should have been perfect. The Cayenne photo was a quick catch, a literal point and shoot to catch the moment. And the lighting and focus is better still.

Well, I'd publish the first one, not the second.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, I'd publish the first one, not the second.

I don't see the relevance.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
It's funny that you think a smiley makes your hypocrisy less blatant.

glad that you see the humour of it.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:34 AM

because you are not a professional....

Wouter Melissen
05-09-2007, 11:35 AM

It's what I do, judge shots to publish them.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
It's what I do, judge shots to publish them.

Mostly your own photos. I'm not saying your not a great photographer, but when did you garner expert status?

dydzi's photo is an interesting photo, a unique photo in the fact that it has rare cars and a castle - cool enough. But, the castle is cut off in the photo and poorly positioned. The sky is blown out. The cars, not of any fault to the photographer, look like they were dropped in with photoshop because of their poor placement in the photo. It's a good photo, not a great photo. The Cayenne, on the other hand, is a good catch with the perfect composition for the moment. It's the technically superior photo in every way - except for feature subject, which is not what this competition is supposed to be about.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
because you are not a professional....

It's not very professional to judge a photo competition based on the subject matter, rather than the technical prowess.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
It's not very professional to judge a photo competition based on the subject matter, rather than the technical prowess.

I did not say that I was a professional...

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I did not say that I was a professional...

I was taking your comment in context, but not necessarily directing my response solely at you.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I was taking your comment in context, but not necessarily directing my response solely at you.

well W gave a technical motivation, I did not.

Ferrer
05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry but I have to agree with Matt on this, as much as I dislike the Cayenne, Pinin's shot is just better.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
well W gave a technical motivation, I did not.

In that case, your hypocrisy invalidates your argument.

Wouter Melissen
05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Mostly your own photos. I'm not saying your not a great photographer, but when did you garner expert status?

dydzi's photo is an interesting photo, a unique photo in the fact that it has rare cars and a castle - cool enough. But, the castle is cut off in the photo and poorly positioned. The sky is blown out. The cars, not of any fault to the photographer, look like they were dropped in with photoshop because of their poor placement in the photo. It's a good photo, not a great photo. The Cayenne, on the other hand, is a good catch with the perfect composition for the moment. It's the technically superior photo in every way - except for feature subject, which is not what this competition is supposed to be about.

I disagree.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:48 AM
In that case, your hypocrisy invalidates your argument.

yes, I will admit it, never will a picture with a Cayenne, an X5 etc get my vote....

Ferrer
05-09-2007, 11:50 AM
yes, I will admit it, never will a picture with a Cayenne, an X5 etc get my vote....
You can do what I did then, not vote.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM

It's good that you admit your bigotry. I will have a hard time respecting the integrity of your vote in future competitions that might happen to involve those particular vehicles.

Matt
05-09-2007, 11:51 AM
I disagree.

That's fine. You voted accordingly. I'm making my case and doing my part to persuade other voters to make a non-vehicle-particular vote.

Wouter Melissen
05-09-2007, 11:54 AM
That's fine. You voted accordingly. I'm making my case and doing my part to persuade other voters to make a non-vehicle-particular vote.

I disagree.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:57 AM
It's good that you admit your bigotry. I will have a hard time respecting the integrity of your vote in future competitions that might happen to involve those particular vehicles.

sorry for giving you a hard time.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:58 AM
You can do what I did then, not vote.

I wanted some more active opposition....

70cuda88
05-09-2007, 12:23 PM
well, IMO you can setup a shot and it can be great, greater than most. But you can also capture a moment and have a great shot too,(greater than most). Either way, you still get a great shot. In this case, dydzi set his up. may not of been setup perfect in other peoples opinion, but apparently in his. Pinin captured a moment, placed it well, and is also a good photo. This competition is Opinion based, you can just list out the pros and cons, and whoever has the most pros wins. Of course you want to take in the photograpy aspect into it, but even that is an opinion.

Example
Matt thinks dydzi placed the castle and the sky wrong.
I think it is almost perfect with the cars.

Matt thinks its fuzzy
I do too

We CAN agree on things, but we dont always. You cant try to convince someone with what you think, you need facts. So just let people vote on what they think is the better photo in terms of placement, style, moment, clearness ect ect

ferrarifreak013
05-09-2007, 02:45 PM
i voted for dyzdi because i think the picture is much more elegant, and i actually like how the picture is not crystal clear because i think it works well with the castle setting and the cars much better than it would it it was clear. but i no nothing about pictures so that probably sounds dumb to most of you

Rockefella
05-09-2007, 03:09 PM
DAYUM, some hardcore debate going on here. I'll but in and say I voted for Pinin.

Ferrer
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
I wanted some more active opposition....
From my point of view there a lot more honest options of defending your cause.

In my opinion voting for the second best photo just because you prefer the theme is breaking the rules of the photography competition. If you can't morally vote the best photography because you don't like the theme, then just don't vote. Voting for another photography doesn't help the comunitiy, or your cause even.

And you know I dislike SUVs as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents.

my porsche
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Pinin's shot > dydzi's shot.

Replace all those car's with civics and it's crap, replace the cayenne with a black civic and it's still a great panning shot that's sharp and well exposed.

The_Canuck
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Replace all those car's with civics and it's crap, replace the cayenne with a black civic and it's still a great panning shot that's sharp and well exposed.

Yeah...except that would be taking away part of the shot...which is finding a good subject.

Also the RS4 in the pic ruins it, too blurry.

2ndclasscitizen
05-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Except the Cayenne is smack bang in the middle of the frame. The RS4 balances it a little, but it distracts more than anything.

Not voting.

Mr.Tiv
05-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I don't really know anything about photography, but I will say that thr RS4 in Pinin's picture hurts my eyes. Again, I admit that I don't know what constitutes a technically good photo, but, really, isn't the one that doesn't make you want to throw(dydzi's) up better?

F1_Master
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM

So you're saying that you're going to be voting based on the cars then.

Good job. That's EXACTLY what Matt was talking about. You're not supposed to be voting based on the the automobile featured, and here you are saying that is dydzi's shot was Civics instead of Lancias, it wouldn't be good. You're just basically saying, dydzi's shot is only good because it had the Lancias.

And to think, just last week, you were here defending your photo, and with a completely different message to what you're projecting now.

Does that mean, if I saw a Civic in your shot instead of an Audi, it made your shot, 'crap'. No. This competition is not based on cars.

EDIT*
As for why I voted on dydzi's, it was mainly because the red stood out from the brown/darkness of the shot. It was also primarily because not only were the cars off-center, but as well as the cars' origins relating to the castle. The cars being lined-up added some more reasons for me to vote even though the last was hidden. But just the overall mood of the photo made me like it. It's a shot that I would put as one worthy of Desktops just because of the way everything is arranged. It's just a very cool, and well done shot, imho.

I didn't voted Pinin;'s though primarily because of the RS4. That distracted me quite a bit though I applaud the Snap-And-Shoot of it. The wheels also captured my attention. But the Audi just kind of "blew" it for me, the way it just sort of, took away the attention of the photo.

Ingolstadt
05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
The Cayenne photo was a quick catch, a literal point and shoot to catch the moment. And the lighting and focus is better still.

It's a good photo, not a great photo. The Cayenne, on the other hand, is a good catch with the perfect composition for the moment. It's the technically superior photo in every way - except for feature subject, which is not what this competition is supposed to be about.

So that means if you knew before hand that Pinin is a war zone victim with both of his legs and arms amputated, he would've win the competition and get your votes because of the sheer difficulty of his shot?

It's the outcome that matters. That 'Civic' guideline is only a reminder for car fans which is abundant in this forum. The subject of photography is always as important as the outcome.

I'm very sure I'll vote for a photo with a P4/5 than one with Enzo. If both were almost the same in quality.

If 300ZX could take a photo of a civic spinning in mid air, he would've gotten my vote as well, but not always. Cos it might not feel the same for me on the second week, and the feeling i got when i look into that photo is the most important factor. At least to me.

henk4
05-09-2007, 11:31 PM
In my opinion voting for the second best photo just because you prefer the theme is breaking the rules of the photography competition. If you can't morally vote the best photography because you don't like the theme, then just don't vote. Voting for another photography doesn't help the comunitiy, or your cause even.

And you know I dislike SUVs as much as you do.

Just my 2 cents.

I never said anything about the quality of Dydzi's picture, so how can you tell that I did not vote for the best picture. I only confessed that I would never vote for a picture that has the SUV crap in there that we all loath. The first criterion for me will have to be that a pic attracts my attention and interest. Any SUV pic will not meet that criterion

Ferrer
05-10-2007, 05:47 AM
I never said anything about the quality of Dydzi's picture, so how can you tell that I did not vote for the best picture. I only confessed that I would never vote for a picture that has the SUV crap in there that we all loath. The first criterion for me will have to be that a pic attracts my attention and interest. Any SUV pic will not meet that criterion
But discarding a photograph because you don't like the theme and vote for another which could be worse is against the spirit of the competition. I personally prefer to not vote at all than voting for something which could not be the best.

henk4
05-10-2007, 05:56 AM
But discarding a photograph because you don't like the theme and vote for another which could be worse is against the spirit of the competition. I personally prefer to not vote at all than voting for something which could not be the best.

but it was not...

Wouter Melissen
05-10-2007, 05:57 AM

I agree. He is a big fanboy. SUVs are out, diesel is in.

henk4
05-10-2007, 06:00 AM
I agree. He is a big fanboy. SUVs are out, diesel is in.

not diesel SUVs though.

Wouter Melissen
05-10-2007, 06:13 AM
not diesel SUVs though.

You see, he is picky too!

john14
05-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted ny henk4
I would never vote for a picture that has the SUV crap in there that we all loath

Pieter, with all due respect you cannot say we all loath SUV's because that statement is simply not true. Many UCP members would love to own an SUV.

Wouter Melissen
05-10-2007, 06:24 AM
Pieter, with all due respect you cannot say we all loath SUV's because that statement is simply not true. Many UCP members would love to own an SUV.

You are wrong. Particularly in trying to search for reason. He lives in a world of his own.

Ingolstadt
05-10-2007, 10:01 AM

Nah, he's not that bias. He would definitely vote for this

Speedy2
10/May/2007
Blue Angel crash

Piacki_117
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Wrong thread...