PDA

View Full Version : Corvette Z07 spied with polycarbonate hood window!

baddabang
05-09-2007, 11:09 AM
The Corvette Z07/SS/Blue Devil is fast becoming one of the worst kept secrets in Detroit. It's not for GM's lack of trying to keep the lid on it, but rather on account of the zealous nature of the Corvette Nation. They're an impatient bunch and are having a hard time waiting for next year's North American International Auto Show in Detroit, where many suspect the super Corvette will bow.

Here we have a set of new pics taken god knows where that show one of the Corvette Z07's most closely hidden secrets. We all assumed that camo on the hoods of development mules was hiding an air intake. Guess what. It wasn't. If these blurry camera phone shots are the real deal, then the ultimate Vette ever will be sporting a clear polycarbonate window in its hood to show off the goods underneath. Say whu? Yeah, a plexiglass window, not unlike the totally transparent hood on the car in which John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John liberated themselves from terra firma at the end of the 1978 film musical Grease. Anyway...

The shaky shots also show some serious braking hardware and what appears to be more extreme air extractor vents behind the front wheels. Aside from that, it appears the Z07 may look much like the Z06. Again, we have to qualify all this with the disclaimer that the car in these pics is most likely not a final production model and may be nothing like what we eventually see on stage in January. Still, a polycarbonate window? We admit, didn't see that one coming.

[Source: Digital Corvettes via GMInsideNews]I'm not too sure about this one. Seems kinda tacky and too Ferrarish.

Ferrer
05-09-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not too sure about this one. Seems kinda tacky and too Ferrarish.
And in a front engined car it looks a bit stupid.

fisetdavid26
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I would prefer a mean looking hood scoop instead.

The_Canuck
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Uhh...riced Corvette?

nota
05-09-2007, 01:00 PM
like a front engined trouser snake with the zip undone

magracer
05-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Uhh...riced Corvette?

+1 .

baddabang
05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
Uhh...riced Corvette?

Since when is a clear engine cover rice? It's the most powerful corvette ever produced by GM why not show off the goods?

The_Canuck
05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Since when is a clear engine cover rice? It's the most powerful corvette ever produced by GM why not show off the goods?

'cause it looks like you're trying too hard?

baddabang
05-09-2007, 01:28 PM

You don't make sense.

The_Canuck
05-09-2007, 01:31 PM
You don't make sense.

It looks like GM is trying very hard to show off the engine with a stupid looking piece of plastic.

aNOBLEman
05-09-2007, 01:33 PM

That still doesn't make it rice, but having said that I must agree that I don't like the plexiglass window. Everything else seems to look good though.

Kitdy
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
That plexiglass window is stupid. I figure GM will get a million hatemails per second per second and not be dumb.

coolieman1220
05-09-2007, 02:51 PM
aluminum dissipates heat better!

NSXType-R
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM

It's not rice, but it does look extremely tacky. Doesn't fit the profile of the car.

like a front engined trouser snake with the zip undone

Ha, nice one. :p

aluminum dissipates heat better!

It makes one wonder whether or not the hood will melt when the engine gets hot.:D You saw how hot the M3 V-8 was?

Obviously the engineers would have accounted for it, but it still looks real bad.

baddabang
05-09-2007, 04:09 PM
That plexiglass window is stupid. I figure GM will get a million hatemails per second per second and not be dumb.

Go take a look at some of the popular corvette forums. I found this on a particular one and the current owners of the C6 Z06 actually like it.

NSXType-R
05-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Go take a look at some of the popular corvette forums. I found this on a particular one and the current owners of the C6 Z06 actually like it.

Are you sure there was no bias? :D

my porsche
05-09-2007, 04:32 PM
As much as I hate Ferrari, they have Plexiglas windows because their engines are good looking. This is an Escalade engine with a fancy top piece.

Rockefella
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
As much as I hate Ferrari, they have Plexiglas windows because their engines are good looking. This is an Escalade engine with a fancy top piece.

Lulz, boosted LS7 =/= Escalade engine.

my porsche
05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
ok 6.2L V8 plus .8L = Z06 engine.

carsnut
05-09-2007, 04:55 PM

Because it kinda ruins the flow. Clear engine covers on front-engined cars look out of place. They look much better on mid-engine cars.

BTW the Z06 looks better than this "Z07"

baddabang
05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
ok 6.2L V8 plus .8L = Z06 engine.

They are completely different engines dumbass. Vortec =/= LS7.

Bob
05-09-2007, 05:29 PM

And a porsche is just a hopped up Volkswagen.

Honestly don't be so ignorant. The LS7 uses old technology, that's a given fact. However the engineering the went into the LS7 specific heads and intake manifold isn't. Either is the all aluminum block.

It's not an Escalade engine and the Corvette is not a truck. I'm no fanboy, not really biased in any direction, but I'm getting sick of people either putting the LS7 down, or praising it like its perfect for any car.

For the Corvette it is perfect, delivers a wide powerband, low weight and size, high top speed, great acceleration, and excellent track times.

So please just shut up and accept it for what it is. Not a truck engine. Not an ancient V8 with terrible emissions and milage. It does exactly what it's meant to; provide a durable and very powerful engine in a package that doesn't make the car exorbitantly expensive.

That being said, the window looks bad.

Slicks
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM

You have it backwards.
The Escalade engine is a modifed iron block LS2. LS2 came first, then they modified it and dropped it in the Caddy.

Kitdy
05-09-2007, 06:23 PM

Blind faith? It does not really seem to make sense to me that the target audience of this car would like a glass thingy on the hood showing the engine; but hell I could be wrong, seems un-American. It would look way better as in intake.

If that honestly makes it to production it will not ruin the car, but it will make it much, much cheesier.

F1_Master
05-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Wait, so not only is GM trying to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini in performance, but also in engine covers? What's next, a rear-engine Corvette?

Turbo.Jenkens
05-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Yea... that engine cover makes it about a rice as a Ferrari 196 s Dino Spyder or a 250 TR59.....:rolleyes:

2ndclasscitizen
05-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Maybe they should actually try and make the engine nice looking as well, rather than just have that giant plastic engine cover.

baddabang
05-09-2007, 07:55 PM
Wait, so not only is GM trying to compete with Ferrari and Lamborghini in performance, but also in engine covers? What's next, a rear-engine Corvette?

Actually rumor has it thats coming in the form of a Cadillac in 2010/11 or something along those lines.

Viper007
05-09-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm all for the Z06, but the plexiglass isn't doing it for me. I guess I will have to wait to see it in person though.

Sledgehammer
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
In Motor trend I believe that the z07 has an intake on the hood, not that dumb looking clear roof. That might have just been for publicity... you know letting the media see the engine better with the top down. Either way it just looks horrid.

*edit* a second look at it and their is no proof that their is a sheet of plexiglas installed in the hood. Might it just be an empty hole saved for production?

Kitdy
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Actually rumor has it thats coming in the form of a Cadillac in 2010/11 or something along those lines.

Cien style? That car was pretty sick.

badda, can you honestly say you like the stupid pleixglass thing?

You at least agree that it is far, far worse than an air intake, right?

In Motor trend I believe that the z07 has an intake on the hood, not that dumb looking clear roof. That might have just been for publicity... you know letting the media see the engine better with the top down. Either way it just looks horrid.

*edit* a second look at it and their is no proof that their is a sheet of plexiglas installed in the hood. Might it just be an empty hole saved for production?

Here's hoping the edit is true.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Plexiglass engine covers only works behind the driver.

This just reeks of "design for the corvette fanboys"

and to top it all off it doesn't look as though they've done it well at all.

Ferrer
05-09-2007, 11:15 PM
And a porsche is just a hopped up Volkswagen.
But...

..it just is. :D

clutch-monkey
05-10-2007, 12:00 AM
But...

..it just is. :D

and BMW's areslowglorified taxi's.
who wants the next one? :D

drakkie
05-10-2007, 03:52 AM
and BMW's areslowglorified taxi's.
who wants the next one? :D

Wrong. BMW's are riced up tractor's :D

Turbo.Jenkens
05-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Lamborghinis are glorified tractors

Zorlox
05-10-2007, 05:33 AM
maybe it would be more interesting if you didn't see two shades of gray through the p/c

fpv_gtho
05-10-2007, 05:54 AM
For the Corvette it is perfect, delivers a wide powerband, low weight and size, high top speed, great acceleration, and excellent track times.

Nothings perfect. Why would a sports car need a wide powerband, unless its overweight? Surely some of that low-mid range punch could be exchanged for more top end

Slicks
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Nothings perfect. Why would a sports car need a wide powerband, unless its overweight? Surely some of that low-mid range punch could be exchanged for more top end

Because having all top end power and no low-midrange power is lame.

fpv_gtho
05-10-2007, 06:46 AM
And where did i say sacrifice all the low-midrange :rolleyes:

P4g4nite
05-10-2007, 07:05 AM
The engine is a good design for something that wants to mostly cruise but sometimes hit the track.
The basic 2valve pushrod design means it is compact, lightweight and makes great intake velocity at low rpm (essential for producing torque). In addition the moving bits have been lightened and the sump is dry allowing better revs than most pushrods enjoy.

Because having all top end power and no low-midrange power is lame.
Unless it's a track car.

Ingolstadt
05-10-2007, 10:15 AM
I'd rather see a hole in the hood that shows an engine cover or intakes that blends with the car's lines. that said, rather in the sense if compared to some plastic. a hood scoop is better.

Waugh-terfall
05-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh noes, my hood melted.
Oh noes, stonechip, best call Autoglass

Rockefella
05-10-2007, 10:55 AM
If TVR did it you guys would all be like, ZOMG dat is sooo hot!

A lot of you hate on the Corvette just because it's a Corvette. Whatever, I think the polycarbonate looks stupid too.

Kitdy
05-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Lies. All TVRs are ugly.

Ferrer
05-10-2007, 11:51 AM

A lot of you hate on the Corvette just because it's a Corvette. Whatever, I think the polycarbonate looks stupid too.
Actually thinking about it there aren't so many differences between a Corvette and a TVR. Both are cars made out of plastic with horrible interiors and a good perfomance to price ratio.

Waugh-terfall
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
TVR interiors were bloody nice, just, they fell apart, well, some did.

scubasteve87
05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Actually thinking about it there aren't so many differences between a Corvette and a TVR. Both are cars made out of plastic with horrible interiors and a good perfomance to price ratio.

Ha, finally someone says it, and oddly, most of the ardent vette haters are also ardent TVR supporters, can't we all get along?? Back to arguing, why do people keep referring to the vette as heavy when its been addressed in multiple threads that while the car is large and the engine has a large displacement, its power to weight is still phenomenal...

Oh and I hate the window, one scoop or power bulge for me please.

Sledgehammer
05-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Well I found a few pics from the supposed z07, The first two are pretty inconclusive whether they are putting a scoop or a power buldge, the third however is quite noticeable
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/Sledgehammer_Vet/corvette-ss-spy-7.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/Sledgehammer_Vet/corvette-ss-spy-1.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p197/Sledgehammer_Vet/blue-devil-corvette-logo.jpg

Nonetheless, it appears major cosmetic changes will be for the hood and the side front wheel exaust.

SlickHolden
05-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Twin nostril look maybe??

Sledgehammer
05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
Mabey but why would they go back to that so soon?

*EDIT* Also, I would try and avoid hitting any rocks, small twigs, or pebbles in the road judging from the tire wall size..:eek:

Rockefella
05-11-2007, 12:28 AM

True, although maintaining a good performance/price ratio relies heavily on a cheap interior. If people wanted Corvette ZO6 performance with a beautiful interior, they'd probably opt for an F430 instead.

Ferrer
05-11-2007, 12:30 AM
True, although maintaining a good performance/price ratio relies heavily on a cheap interior. If people wanted Corvette ZO6 performance with a beautiful interior, they'd probably opt for an F430 instead.
Probably, but my post wasn't meant as criticism, it's just the attributes of the cars. As always they have positive aspect and negative aspects.

Rockefella
05-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Probably, but my post wasn't meant as criticism, it's just the attributes of the cars. As always they have positive aspect and negative aspects.

Understood. It just seems like most of the non-Americans find some kind of silly reason to hate on the Corvette sometimes regardless of its credentials.

clutch-monkey
05-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Understood. It just seems like most of the non-Americans find some kind of silly reason to hate on the Corvette sometimes regardless of its credentials.
i like it very much, just not the fanboy arguments, including "it's not a penis enhancer car like other supercars" :D thanks for the laughs, slicks

KingNothing
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Noooooo, why? GM stop that you know better. EDIT: poly-whatever-the-hell out, nice slim looking hood scoop in for me

SlickHolden
05-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Mabey but why would they go back to that so soon?

*EDIT* Also, I would try and avoid hitting any rocks, small twigs, or pebbles in the road judging from the tire wall size..:eek:
Maybe a nice large NFS Bonnet:).

Sledgehammer
05-11-2007, 08:38 AM
NFS?

5 character mimimum

SlickHolden
05-11-2007, 08:50 AM
G what bob lutz said wasn't true..
Need For Speed.

http://picsorban.com/upload/vette.jpg

Viper007
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
I just need to see the car already, talk has been going on far too long.

justina69
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM
hey i know this doesnt have to do with anything but does anyone know where theres a garage that can build a custom twin turbo for basically any car?

CdocZ
05-12-2007, 01:06 PM
hey i know this doesnt have to do with anything but does anyone know where theres a garage that can build a custom twin turbo for basically any car?

Supposedly if you give Lingenfelter the money, it doesn't matter who you are, or that you want, they will do it for you. Not sure just how true that is.....but they have enough of a customer service reputation that I wouldn't be surprised.

culver
05-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Actually I think the Corvette interior is far better than it gets credit for. Just the other day I was in a 2000 Boxster. That interior really is of rather poor quality. The turn signal stalks aren’t nearly as nice in actuation as what Toyota, Mazda and even Ford have used for a while. Same is true for much of the interior. Lots of rattles in when you push on things like the window switches or doors.

However!

The Boxster has one thing that keeps it out of the criticism window, it has an interesting design. Some of the material is nice like the top of the dash. Other bits like the area around the window switches it terrible. However, the total package is styled in a way that helps you ignore the deficiencies.
The C6 interior is well assembled. The doors are actually very nice in fit, finish, materials and feel of the controls. It’s the center stack that kills it. Even then the materials, fit and control quality is good. The issue is just how dull it looks. It was like all the styling inspiration was used up on the outside and the inside door panels. Nothing was left for the center stack so it was just left alone.

The sad part about that is the interior isn’t likely cheap at all. It’s just not well styled in one critical area. Happily GM seems to be understanding that good materials and fit are only part of the game. The next is interesting styling so that even if you have some flaws in other areas they generally get overlooked (like the Boxster).

As for the hood, this is a mule. I wouldn't worry about what it looks like until the product actually is launched. GM has plenty of time to make it better... or worse.

F1_Master
05-12-2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah, but Corvettes don't blow up like TVRs. :p

Ferrer
05-13-2007, 03:36 AM
Yeah, but Corvettes don't blow up like TVRs. :p
I'm sure that if you are comitted enough they can... :D

Falcon500
05-13-2007, 05:26 AM
And in a front engined car it looks a bit stupid.

lol it worked in grease :D

VtecMini
05-13-2007, 09:49 AM

A lot of you hate on the Corvette just because it's a Corvette. Whatever, I think the polycarbonate looks stupid too.So what, precisely, is your point?

You're allowed to not like the plastic window because you're american, but if anyone else doesn't like it, it's because we're euro-fanboys? :confused:

Quiggs
05-13-2007, 10:05 AM
They are completely different engines dumbass. Vortec =/= LS7.I lol'ed a little.

And a porsche is just a hopped up Volkswagen.Actually, VW's are detuned Porsches. ;)

but I'm getting sick of people either putting the LS7 down, or praising it like its perfect for any car.The LS7 can nevAr lo0se!!!1!1

That being said, the window looks bad.True.

Lamborghinis are glorified tractorshttp://www.lifeinitaly.com/italian-cars/images/Lamboghini_traktor.jpg

Lies. All TVRs are ugly.QFT.

Viper007
05-13-2007, 12:19 PM

I think you would have the best luck with either Lingenfelter, Heffner, and Underground Racing.

Quiggs
05-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I hear Pep Boys can build you a sikk terbo kit. For cheap, too.

my porsche
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM
viper007 can i get a hi-res of your avatar?

hey rock want to use your dad's connections and get me an LS7 or LS2 for my truck for like $1,000? with ecu and ignition of course

Waugh-terfall
05-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Rocke's Dad can build you one:p

P4g4nite
05-13-2007, 02:52 PM

I could do it bro'. I've worked on Anys before, but I haven't heard of the Basically. Is it a Croatian domestic only model?

F1_Master
05-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I hear Pep Boys can build you a sikk terbo kit. For cheap, too.

Yeah, but that's Pep Boys. They say they can do a lot of things that have to do with 'pepping'. ;)

baddabang
05-13-2007, 05:29 PM
viper007 can i get a hi-res of your avatar?

hey rock want to use your dad's connections and get me an LS7 or LS2 for my truck for like $1,000? with ecu and ignition of course

Rock would have to be pretty good in bed to get a LS7 for that price.

baddabang
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
badda, can you honestly say you like the stupid pleixglass thing?

You at least agree that it is far, far worse than an air intake, right?

Here's hoping the edit is true.

Yes the intake would look much more aggressive then the window. However when it comes down to sales, this car is targeted to a loyal Corvette fan base, and as said before most Z06 owners and even those anxious to get on a Corvette SS list like the idea and give it the thumbs up. And since they are the ones most likely to buy a $100,000 plus Corvette to be at extreme balla status then thats all that matters.

The_Canuck
05-13-2007, 06:05 PM
this car is targeted to a loyal Corvette fan base, and as said before most Z06 owners and even those anxious to get on a Corvette SS list like the idea and give it the thumbs up.

So...ZO6 owners have terrible taste?

Ferrer
05-13-2007, 11:32 PM
So...ZO6 owners have terrible taste?
Yes, as it turns out.