PDA

View Full Version : B8 Audi A4/S4.

Quiggs
05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/audi-b8-a4-sneak-peek/header3.jpg

http://www.audiworld.com/news/07/audi-b8-a4-sneak-peek/

Powerplants for North America will be standard Audi fare with a 2.0-liter TFSI, a 3.2-liter V6 and the 4.2-liter FSI V8 in the S4 version. Expect to see a new 1.8-liter TFSI offering for Europe as well as both 4 and 6-cylinder TDI variants. Available transmissions will include a 6-speed manual, multitronic and Audi's newest S-tronic dual-clutch gearbox.

These are only renders.

The_Canuck
05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I heard the engines going to be mounted further back....

Rejoice.

Quiggs
05-21-2007, 07:16 PM
It'd be sick if by "further back" you meant "all the way in the back." A la W12TT GTI.

Kitdy
05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I can honestly say that current Audis devide me like no car ever has. I think they are hideous/ gorgeous. Gorgeous and amazing for every single part of the car except that stupid, ugly trapezoidal grid matrix (Audi's words not mine).

I mean, look at this car! It is gorgeous (yeah sure it's only a render, but the current A4 ain't that much different and suffers form all the same problems).

If I had the cash to buy an Audi and wanted to buy one, I would seriously seek out a professional bodyshop that could restore the grill olde and restore this car's dignity.

As for the engine, I think the 2L inline 4 is probably underpowered, and I would only look at putting the nice V8engine in there with either the 6 speed manual or that DSG profesionality. How are gear changes activated with the DSG - paddles, tiptronically, or automatically? (I mean the physical method of changing gears, ie using your hand in some fashion - you know. No, not like that.)

Quiggs
05-21-2007, 07:27 PM
As for the engine, I think the 2L inline 4 is probably underpowered, and I would only look at putting the nice V8engine in there with either the 6 speed manual or that DSG profesionality. How are gear changes activated with the DSG - paddles, tiptronically, or automatically? (I mean the physical method of changing gears, ie using your hand in some fashion - you know. No, not like that.)
All 3. You have the option of fully automatic shifting in either regular or sport mode. Or you can kick the shifter to the right and push it forward/back like a typical Tiptronic, or you can use the paddles on the wheel with the shifter in the same position.

2ndclasscitizen
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
I heard the engines going to be mounted further back....

Rejoice.

Correct. The new A5 is starting the trend.

Kitdy
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
All 3. You have the option of fully automatic shifting in either regular or sport mode. Or you can kick the shifter to the right and push it forward/back like a typical Tiptronic, or you can use the paddles on the wheel with the shifter in the same position.

Some quality VAG engineering there.

NSXType-R
05-21-2007, 07:38 PM
What's with the B8 in the title?:confused:

So this is the new A4 huh? It looks really sleek. The design truly reflects Audi. The grill I don't seem to mind much now.

Purists may balk at moving the engine back though. I don't see a reason not to. All sacrifices for performance. (Maybe not all, but some would be nice.:D)

However, I do find it strange that the RS6 isn't out yet and they're coming out with a new A4 already. I thought they would send out all the S and RS models first and then start the new models after that.

Are they planning an RS8 by the way?:confused:

2ndclasscitizen
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Model number. The current A4 is the B7.

Vaigra
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
The current model is named the B7, the A4 before was the B5. Kinda like 993, 996, and 997 911's etc.

my porsche
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Depends on which model for the paddles though, our RS6 has the paddles but current A4's don't AFAIK.

Ingolstadt
05-21-2007, 10:09 PM
nice, gorgeous and boring. Can't they do something to at least make my mind flashing an imaginery A4 cornering, with tyre squeeks and perhaps wouter standin somewhere trying to catch a perfect shot?

All i could imagine by looking at newer Audis are somehow doing 150mph cruises with henk4 sitting in it murmuring..... :p

Ferrer
05-21-2007, 11:40 PM
200bhp underpowered? :confused:

Correct. The new A5 is starting the trend.
Not only that but the A4 will have exactly the same platform as the A5. However I've read reviews which say that it still is inert.

IWantAnAudiRS6
05-21-2007, 11:50 PM
I like this one, it looks pretty cool- as an S-series.

They're starting to look Bangle-esque, though...

2ndclasscitizen
05-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Depends on which model for the paddles though, our RS6 has the paddles but current A4's don't AFAIK.

Because current A4s don't come with a DSG/S-tronic.

Not only that but the A4 will have exactly the same platform as the A5. However I've read reviews which say that it still is inert.

Inert?

Kitdy
05-22-2007, 07:01 AM
200bhp underpowered? :confused:

Well, underpowered for an Audi I'd say. My old man's Acura TL has 220hp, I'd expect an Audi to have anywhere from 250-400 in varying spec.

I suppose you are right though, I think I object more to the idea of the 2L inline 4 than anything else. :o

Ferrer
05-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Inert?
No feel, no involvement.

Well, underpowered for an Audi I'd say. My old man's Acura TL has 220hp, I'd expect an Audi to have anywhere from 250-400 in varying spec.

I suppose you are right though, I think I object more to the idea of the 2L inline 4 than anything else. :o
I think in today's increasingly strict speed limits and highly policed roads a car that does 150mph and 0-60 in about 7"5 seconds is enough. Of course we all want more, but it's not underpowered by any means.

2ndclasscitizen
05-22-2007, 07:05 AM
Well, underpowered for an Audi I'd say. My old man's Acura TL has 220hp, I'd expect an Audi to have anywhere from 250-400 in varying spec.They do, it's just that the specs can go down to <200hp.

Err, why? A 2L I4 has powered some great cars over the years.

No feel, no involvement.

It's an Audi, what'd you expect.

Kitdy
05-22-2007, 07:30 AM
Err, why? A 2L I4 has powered some great cars over the years.

I dunno. It is a psychological thing. I don't much like the idea of V6s either. Inline 5, 6 ok, V8, V10, V12 ok.

Inline 4 I just don't feel it.

Doesn't a 2L engine seem small in a car the size of an A4?

Ferrer
05-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Doesn't a 2L engine seem small in a car the size of an A4?
No. Not for us. You can even get an smaller engined A4 (1.8T) and a normally aspirated 2-litre with 130bhp. The 2.0T is actually quite a fast car. Many of the A4s bought here have 4 cylinder engines.

Kitdy
05-22-2007, 07:37 AM
No. Not for us. You can even get an smaller engined A4 (1.8T) and a normally aspirated 2-litre with 130bhp. The 2.0T is actually quite a fast car. Many of the A4s bought here have 4 cylinder engines.

Yeah I see a bunch of 1.8T A4's on the streets of Toronto as well - in fact I rarely see any other A4's. :)

I always think to myself - too cheap to get the V6... :rolleyes:

Ingolstadt
05-22-2007, 08:10 AM
In many parts of the world, having a small engine but performs rather well is a good thing. I too wish i could have an engine smallest possible, at best couldn't even see it, and i could carry my dog under the hood.... but my car does 0-100 in sub 9sec.... it's very enough... more than enough for the brains, the hands and the legs..... but might not be sifficient for my balls. . . .

Waugh-terfall
05-22-2007, 09:32 AM
OK, there've been soo many nice cars appear this week, I'm fast running out of undies.
I'm liking the A5 frontage but the rear seems (from this angle) to be the same... Artists impression so I guess they can't do everything...

NSXType-R
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
As for the engine, I think the 2L inline 4 is probably underpowered, and I would only look at putting the nice V8engine in there with either the 6 speed manual or that DSG profesionality.

That's what the higher up models are for. Get an RS or an S if you're unsatisfied. :rolleyes:

Model number. The current A4 is the B7.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Kitdy
05-22-2007, 01:46 PM
That's what the higher up models are for. Get an RS or an S if you're unsatisfied. :rolleyes:

I am unsatisfied and I will!

Ingolstadt
05-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Thanks for clearing it up.

But the B7 platform wasn't a wholely new platform either, it is a heavily revised platform of the B6.

ruim20
05-23-2007, 02:39 AM
HUm, no... i prefer the current one, the current headlights are much better than theese, the grill to... a shame they'll follow the A5/TT lines for the new ones.

NSXType-R
05-23-2007, 12:37 PM
I am unsatisfied and I will!

Too bad, suck it up and take it like a man. :p

But the B7 platform wasn't a wholely new platform either, it is a heavily revised platform of the B6.

I see. Car makers often do that to save money.