PDA

View Full Version : Educational Video: Look Around You

blingbling
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Module 1 -- Mathematics

Here is a incredibly helpful and informative video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjV3XDFsjP4) on mathematics that is quite life-changing. Really shines a new light on how mathematics is applied. There is an entire series all about different subjects you can find.

Enjoy. :)

Waugh-terfall
05-29-2007, 01:53 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA, We watched one of those 'Look Around You' video's in Chemistry at school but none of is could take it seriously...

blingbling
05-29-2007, 01:59 PM
it is even more funny if you are enrolled or formerly enrolled in a post-secondary business/engineering/science/math program and know the pain, and understand that it can only be wished math was taht simple

fisetdavid26
05-29-2007, 02:01 PM
It looks very old school. What's funny is that I did see a "Look Around You" video at school, I don't remember when, all I remember is that it was old and poorly translated (french full of grammatical errors). At least the original English voices could be heard in the background! Sooo cheap.

jediali
05-29-2007, 02:31 PM
i lovvvvvvvvve it. BBC computers an all!

Kitdy
05-29-2007, 02:38 PM
It looks very old school. What's funny is that I did see a "Look Around You" video at school, I don't remember when, all I remember is that it was old and poorly translated (french full of grammatical errors). At least the original English voices could be heard in the background! Sooo cheap.

Like this? (The following is a reflection of one man's lazyness in learning and english Canada's poor attitude to teaching French): Bonjour, je parle un petit peu du Francais. Tu est parle englais? Non? Parlez-vous tres non-rapidement sil tu plais.

David how close was I to saying: "Good day, I speak a litle bit of French. Do oyu speak enligsh? No? Speak very not-quiclky (I forgot how to say slowly) please."

The_Canuck
05-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Like this? (The following is a reflection of one man's lazyness in learning and english Canada's poor attitude to teaching French): Bonjour, je parle un petit peu du Francais. Tu est parle englais? Non? Parlez-vous tres non-rapidement sil tu plais.

David how close was I to saying: "Good day, I speak a litle bit of French. Do oyu speak enligsh? No? Speak very not-quiclky (I forgot how to say slowly) please."

I dropped French as soon as I could. The way they taught it was extremely uninteresting. Really pathetic actually.

fisetdavid26
05-29-2007, 03:04 PM

Not bad at all Kitdy, it was close! :)

The correct way to say it would be:
"Bonjour, je parle un petit peu le français. Parlez-vous anglais? Non? Parlez moins rapidement s'il vous plaît."

Also note that in your translation you used the personal pronoun "tu", which is the second singular personal pronoun (singular: je, tu, il/elle and plural: nous, vous, ils/elles) which is rather a friendly way to speak. The polite form (which is disappearing at a very quick rate these days) would be the second plural personal pronoun, "vous". I understand this might be confusing, so here's a clearer way to understand:

Je and nous = I and us (singular and plural)
Tu and vous = you (singular and plural)
Il/elle and ils/elles = he/she (singular and plural)

Funny how this thread about mathematics is now about French! :rolleyes:

Kitdy
05-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Ah yes I fully remember now. You say it politely with vous and relaxedly with your buddides and the like tu.

NSXType-R
05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Voulez-vous couchez avec moi?:p

I take a bit of French. Extremely rusty.

I could carry on a simple conversation though.

Je m'appelle Alvin. Comment tu-t'appelle?

Ca va bien?

You forgot "on" for the third person by the way. :D

fisetdavid26
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Voulez-vous couchez avec moi?:p

I take a bit of French. Extremely rusty.

I could carry on a simple conversation though.

Je m'appelle Alvin. Comment tu-t'appelle?

Ca va bien?

You forgot "on" for the third person by the way. :D
Not really, "on" and "ont" are homophones, not personal pronouns.

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?" is probably best known for its link with Moulin Rouge. I like it too as a sentence.

To answer your simple conversation:

Je m'appele David. Je vais bien. Comment vas-tu?

I never thought I'd be talking about French on UCP!

The_Canuck
05-29-2007, 07:59 PM

"Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?" is probably best known for its link with Moulin Rouge. I like it too as a sentence.

I never thought I'd be talking about French on UCP. I like it so far!

Man, it's like last year all over again!

fisetdavid26
05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Man, it's like last year all over again!
Watch out, I could always test your skills.

Turbo.Jenkens
05-30-2007, 07:52 AM
Enjoy. :)

:confused: :mad:

NSXType-R
05-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Comme ci comme ca. Sorry, can't find the accent marks and stuff. ;)

Yeah, it's overused though, that Moulin Rouge sentence.

Matra et Alpine
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Yeah, it's overused though, that Moulin Rouge sentence.
In tears :(

A 1920s poem, then in the 40s "Streetcar named desire" and in the 70s the pop song that probably brought it to the fore in culture.

Get reading all you young 'uns and get some cull-chur :D :D

Sledgehammer
05-31-2007, 02:59 AM
If you get a chance, view some of the other "look around you videos". for a lack of better words...amazing.

NSXType-R
06-01-2007, 01:52 PM
In tears :(

A 1920s poem, then in the 40s "Streetcar named desire" and in the 70s the pop song that probably brought it to the fore in culture.

Get reading all you young 'uns and get some cull-chur :D :D

I think "Streetcar" sucked. Dumb blonde, that Blanche. :D

Wow, you sure are passionate about literature for an engineer. :p My math teachers all hate English, and for good reason. You can find an answer to a problem, but depending on how an essay is interpreted, scores can fluctuate.

cmcpokey
06-01-2007, 02:07 PM
streetcar was one of the single best plays ever written.

end of story

there is no passion in math, there is no feeling.

Matra et Alpine
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
there is no passion in math, there is no feeling.
Lots of passion and feeling :)
Depends how you think about it and what an "engineer" does.
30 years in R&D creating solutions never imagined that only math and logic made possible and enjoyed every day of it

NSXType-R
06-01-2007, 02:40 PM
All that math comes up with a Porsche, a very passionate sports car. :D

I suck at math and english, but I hate english more. Math wins. :p

Edit- that first statement applies for all Porsches except for the Cayenne. :D

Ferrer
06-01-2007, 02:54 PM
All that math comes up with a Porsche, a very passionate sports car. :D

I suck at math and english, but I hate english more. Math wins. :p

Edit- that first statement applies for all Porsches except for the Cayenne. :D
And then you get in an XKR (the old one) and suddenly forget about Math, English and everything... :D

NSXType-R
06-01-2007, 02:56 PM
Are you talking about the previous generation XKR?

I find it to be pretty boring, styling wise.

Of course, I also know nothing about it too.

Ferrer
06-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Are you talking about the previous generation XKR?

I find it to be pretty boring, styling wise.

Of course, I also know nothing about it too.
Yes. I consider it a purely rock & roll car. I adore it. Even if it's rubbish.

Kitdy
06-01-2007, 03:02 PM
And then you get in an XKR (the old one) and suddenly forget about Math, English and everything... :D

The battle spans two threads!

cmcpokey
06-01-2007, 03:17 PM
i enjoy that i sparked the heated debate between ferrer and NSX-R

NSXType-R
06-01-2007, 03:28 PM
i enjoy that i sparked the heated debate between ferrer and NSX-R

No, not really. It's more like a lively discussion. :p