PDA

View Full Version : Low mileage Holden Panelvan surfaces

nota
05-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Australia is the driest continent on Earth and like elsewhere in the world we are experiencing our worst drought in recorded history. Years ago it was classified as the worst in 100 years, but has now been labelled the 'thousand year drought'. In fact scientists claim that Oz is now the driest it has been in at least 1400 years! :eek:

Many districts are in Stage 5 restrictions, which applies severe water rations, while some areas are in dire trouble at Stage 7 with no decent falls since last century! There is talk of having to de-populate rural townships, also of shutting off vital irrigation water to Oz's major 'food bowl' the Murray Darling agricultural region

Fortunately my local city is currently only at Stage 3, and has been for a while, but even this level means you cannot legally wash your car from the domestic supply! The only legal way to keep your car clean is via a commercial car wash that fully recycles its water, and there are just three of those joints in the entire city, to service a population of 330,000 people :mad:

Thankfully within the last few weeks there's finally been a smattering of half decent rains here - although much, much more is needed, and over a considerable time-frame. But to illustrate our drastically low and falling water reserves is this recent clipping from the local Canberra Times newspaper showing what remains of the once massive Lake Eucumbene, which incidentally also drives our hydro-electric power supply :(

What's the weather situation like where you live?

Ferrer
05-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Here we also have a dry situation. While not as bad as yours, we haven't restrictions yet, rain is badly needed. It's also one of the hottest year in history, which makes things pretty bad.

fisetdavid26
05-30-2007, 09:42 AM
My city has never been notorious for hot temperatures, so the situation is fine. In facts, we only had 17 sunny days in May, the rest were either cloudy or raining. It's raining very hard since yesterday, with lightnings and thunder. The situation gets harder in July though, the potable water reserves generally dip very low.

I noticed the general temperature is greatly warming up, as an example, in 2006 it was the first time in 400 years that there was no snow at Christmas Eve. Last year there was 1 foot of snow, and about 10 years before there was between three and four feet, sometimes as much as 6 feet.

Lagonda
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Is that a panel van one like then one in Mad Max ?

nota
05-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Is that a panel van one like then one in Mad Max ?
Yes and this '78 HZ model is the fourth model of the five facelifts belonging to this 'generation' shape of Holden vans from 1972-1984

The model sequence goes HQ HJ HX HZ and final WB

http://www.sandmanowners.com/sandmaninfo-hz.htm

Back in the day you often saw them wearing stickers on the rear window saying ..

'Don't laugh - your daughter might be inside'

'If it's rocking don't bother knocking'

adamfraser
05-30-2007, 11:18 AM
Dosent bloody stop raining here, it is Scotland after all ;)

Waugh-terfall
05-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Same here, although, we did have a hose-pipe ban last summer...

NSXType-R
05-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Not too bad here in NY. Pretty comfortable weather, not extremely hot yet, but I think it's coming soon.

Rockefella
05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
We've had a lot of rain in the past few months here, probably well above average levels. It's been in the low 80's here for the past few days, which is like 28C or something.

IBrake4Rainbows
05-31-2007, 12:30 AM
That's honestly one of the coolest things i've ever seen.

Proof positive of the rustproofing on old Holdens ;)

go.pawel
05-31-2007, 03:01 AM
Generally it's getting warmer every year in Poland. Though this year we had below zero temperatures in April (nights), which caused severe damage to fruits. Now it's abnormally warm (25-35 C) and we have lots of thunderstorms resulting in floods. They say current climate is typically equatorial :)

pimento
05-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Perth is relatively chilly, but dry as dry can be. Seriously below average rainfalls this year.

clutch-monkey
05-31-2007, 03:48 AM
apparently north western australia is getting all the rainfall...
it's been raining here for the last week. a rerun of the 1974 flood might be coming..

2ndclasscitizen
05-31-2007, 06:19 AM
I remember when Blowering got really low couple of years back, and you could drive down on to all the old roads. 'Spose it's probably still like that now :(

Perth is relatively chilly, but dry as dry can be. Seriously below average rainfalls this year.

I'm heading there start of July, if the weather sucks I'm coming after you.

crisis
05-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Australia is the driest continent on Earth and like elsewhere in the world we are experiencing our worst drought in recorded history. Years ago it was classified as the worst in 100 years, but has now been labelled the 'thousand year drought'. In fact scientists claim that Oz is now the driest it has been in at least 1400 years! :eek:

Many districts are in Stage 5 restrictions, which applies severe water rations, while some areas are in dire trouble at Stage 7 with no decent falls since last century! There is talk of having to de-populate rural townships, also of shutting off vital irrigation water to Oz's major 'food bowl' the Murray Darling agricultural region
supply :(

Well there is currently no shortage in Adelaide at the moment. Which coincides nicely with my week of holidays fishing.:rolleyes:

Zytek_Fan
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
It's supposed to get like 40C here during the weekend, which is really odd, since it is usually really rainy in June here...

Cyco
06-01-2007, 11:37 AM
I'd be more than happy to ship some from Oslo, wettest day I've seen in well over a year

SlickHolden
06-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Fortunately my local city is currently only at Stage 3, and has been for a while, but even this level means you cannot legally wash your car from the domestic supply! The only legal way to keep your car clean is via a commercial car wash that fully recycles its water, and there are just three of those joints in the entire city, to service a population of 330,000 people :mad:

Thankfully within the last few weeks there's finally been a smattering of half decent rains here - although much, much more is needed, and over a considerable time-frame. But to illustrate our drastically low and falling water reserves is this recent clipping from the local Canberra Times newspaper showing what remains of the once massive Lake Eucumbene, which incidentally also drives our hydro-electric power supply :(

We get rain from time to time but very rare to have it rain heavy for longer then a few hours, Over the last 2 weeks it's been on and off maybe the best rain for some time, unfortantley not enough to move the dam level as always.. I think we are only on level 4.5 as they call it but we are not allowed to do anything outside with water at this stage, And it's winter we shouldn't have to.
But the grass has died and many plants have fallen, Wood and roads are cracking there is more dust around in the air and the water at times doe taste funny, Showers are a touch itchy it could be mind over matter?.
I now wash the car much less maybe 2 times a month maybe?? I was a regular once a week guy, I even flush the dunny less and we buy water to drink wash the dishes when they fill up and wash full loads.. We recycle 80% of our crap and have 1 bag in the bin per week so sometimes we only wheel the bin out twice a month.. But does it help is it to late can we really make it better?.