Overall, taking in consideration
>Power
>Top Speed
>Accerlation
>Price

not comfort :p

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 01:39 AM
this thread is completely BS. not just the idea of it but the content. tell your friend that no car, not even the beloved skyline GTR can do a quarter mile time of 8 seconds stock.

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 08:14 AM
8 seconds is pretty crappy for tuned cars. my 1998 volvo 850 does about 7

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 08:14 AM
and i havent done any tuning to it, never will

RX7 FC3S
04-20-2004, 11:14 AM
8 seconds is pretty crappy for tuned cars. my 1998 volvo 850 does about 7

Sweeney921, fpv_gtho was referring to 1/4 mile time not 0-60.
Anything has more than 6s for 0-60 (in terms of newer cars), it shouldn't be considered as sport cars (at least in my opinion).
And I believe it is not easy to tune a 8s car. It is not just adding NOS or bigger turbo, many other things need to be considered as well. And if a car can do 8s and doesn't have safety features, then most likely the car would be banned for track.

Anyways, if anyone found mistake or anything wrong in my post, please correct me.

Matra et Alpine
04-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Sweeney921, fpv_gtho was referring to 1/4 mile time not 0-60.
Anything has more than 6s for 0-60 (in terms of newer cars), it shouldn't be considered as sport cars (at least in my opinion).
And I believe it is not easy to tune a 8s car. It is not just adding NOS or bigger turbo, many other things need to be considered as well. And if a car can do 8s and doesn't have safety features, then most likely the car would be banned for track.

Anyways, if anyone found mistake or anything wrong in my post, please correct me.
The Volvo 850 T5 was an awesome track car and more than capable of beating M3s and M5s.
I've a vid somewhere of a T5, 4-up going round Knockhill and beating some of the other 'sports' cars out there. ( It was being driven by a BTCC driver :) )
The T5 was uprated suspension geometry, spring/dampers, brakes and wheels. You could buy it from any Volvo dealer for a bit more cash :)

RX7 FC3S
04-20-2004, 12:00 PM
I wasn't meant to look down on the 850. I had a friend who is quite into volvo , and he used to drive a 850 too (He currently owns a S40). So, he told me about the performance and some other related stuff before.
I appologize if anyone feels offenced (especially to Sweeney921), and I really want to make clear that I like all (okay, not all, but most) cars and won't look down on any of them.

And one more minor clarification. When I said more than 6s, the time in the 6s range isn't exclued. So, I guess using math signs, it should be >= 7.0s? Of course, there are other factors (other than just 0-60) that determine rather a car is "sport" or not.

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
haha yea, thanks for noticing the quarter mile part, i completely missed it. no offense taken

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 06:29 PM
wow, i put this thread so far off topic. volvo's are from sweden

Chinky_boi
04-20-2004, 07:22 PM
8 seconds is like fast. but i mean 8 seconds would take alot of heavy tuning like turbo and nos. but you might be bsing about your friends car. 8's??? do you mean 8 second in 0-60 or 8 second in quarter mile?

whiteballz
04-20-2004, 07:30 PM
i think $ for $ australian cars have it over jap imports, i mean, aussie cars have the power, some have the looks, and the space, there is almost no comparison, one of the biggest jap imports would be the skyline or supra, when compared on size, say a monaro would win, and interior trim, well then i would say supra, these matchups just arent alike, there is no comparison is you have a set price range, a brand new hsv probably costs as much as importing a brand new supra with roughly the same power (with tuning) and the cops dont harrass as much of v8's as they do jap boy racers. ( as i have heard anyway)

as much as i hate to admit it, i would rather an aussie, even though i voted for jap import.

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 07:45 PM
8 seconds is like fast. but i mean 8 seconds would take alot of heavy tuning like turbo and nos. but you might be bsing about your friends car. 8's??? do you mean 8 second in 0-60 or 8 second in quarter mile?

depending on your setup you could be looking at some pretty heavy chassis modifications. the likes of turbo 4 cylinders achieving the right amount of horsepower to break the 10 second barrier, they probably won't have a great deal of low down torque, but imagine what a supercharged V8 would be pulling at around 1000-2000rpm

crisis
04-21-2004, 01:07 AM
Comon guys, lets hear it.
Overall, taking in consideration
>Power
>Top Speed
>Accerlation
>Price

not comfort :p
Power - Stock Ford Falcon XR8 sedan 261kw vs Nissan R34GTR 208 kw
Top speed - cant find comparison
Acceleration - anyone
Price - Holden Commodore SV8 $42000 - any Jap import $?

Stock specs are the only true comparison. Anything else, the skys the limit.

motorsportnerd
04-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Acceleration - anyone

Though its worth pointing out that the R34 "officially" has 208 kW (which is the upper limit of power agreed through a "gentlemans agreement" between Japanese manufacturers). Unofficially? We're guessing, but all the reports I've read of the stock R34 put it at way over the 208 kW mark.

On a different note, I don't really see the point of this comparison. I like both Japanese cars and Australian cars. It would be like a equally pointless comparison between German and British cars. Different people like different cars, some like Australian cars, some don't. Same with Japanese, German, US or whichever nation you want to add. I don't really see why we should generalise and compare all cars from one nation with all from another. Compare competitors from two manufacturers with similar specs and price instead - ie: Commodore VY v Nissan Maxima. Both similar price (mid A$30K region), similar size, both 6 cly, similar power and both are family cars.

norman
04-21-2004, 02:44 AM
I have a friend who reackons that hes read about a stock Commondore (don't know what model) ute doing a quater mile in 8seconds flat...wtf

fpv_gtho
04-21-2004, 03:12 AM
stop listening to your friends talking about stock cars doing quarter mile times of 8 seconds, i'd be surprised if Ben Bray's 60psi supercharged VY SS ute done 8 seconds down the quarter

the only stock australian car vs japanese car comparison ive seen has seen the australian car walk away with the overall victory. it was the XR6T vs WRX. both turbocharged. both around $45K. the WRX was obviously faster despite having a worse power to weight ratio, but the seating for 5 in the XR6T compared to 4 in the WRX (this is in comfort remember) as well as how the XR6T felt cruising, where the WRX struggled to do so, made it a better car for the most of us. plus the test drivers penalised the WRX for its boy racer image

Falcon500
04-21-2004, 04:55 AM
Acceleration - anyone

Price for a jap import of any sporty trim wouldbe a used grey import and can still easily tip the scales at $50,000+....also forexample in 97 a brand new rx7 in 98 racked up around 70,000 and a el xr8 cost around about 35k then with no bells and whistels (even had windows you wind down yourself! ofall things :eek: ) and was a bit (and i stress a bit when you compare cost and technology here) slower on the 1/4 mile and caught up in acceleration past 0-100 and got better fuel ecconmy.....while the rx7 no doubt would have it all over the el for handeling i think this is a grand comparision...aussie cars are built better for our conditions....
The comparsion who ever it was useing the supra as a benchmark...the supras are and skylines for that matter are minor imports here just about ALL are used and all seat 5 japs...on a national average where a couple of inches taller and quite a few kilos more heavier...their squashy and quite uncomfterble when loaded to their quoted ammount....
And im fully in agreeence about this being a rather pointless thread....an 8 seconds on the 1/4 mile eh? stock? your liveing in my dream land my friend! SS,hsv commadores, GT falcons and xr8 falcons all do around the 14 some a bitlower (GT HSV) and the rest a bit higher...the bog stock falcon base model XTdone a high 15 which for a base model family car is quite impressive....and your compareing apples with oranges here the japs models we get (especailly the ones your talking about) are all hi power models as the base ones are about as desirable as the clap...

eyebrows
04-21-2004, 06:50 AM
i think you can't compare these two types of cars as they are built on different formulars (and no im not just talking chassies). holdens a fords a have big engines with very tall gear ratios with low reving capability, while most jap cars are small engines with a lot more technology in them lighter and shorter gear ratios and basically the opposite of an aussie car. the fact is these cars are made for different places on this earth (as someone already stated) so you really can't compare them here nor there. my personal preffence is the jap car's but that is for you to decide and it is a matter of your prefference to big engine low reving or small engine high reving light wieght or diet programe :p etc... ne way the day they make a car under the same formular then we can compare ;)

(ok haven't really said ne thing that relates to this forum so can some be quick in the way agree or dissagree and rip it to shreds :confused: :p )