Mustang Cobra SVT

Power 390 bhp
Weight 1662 kg / 3664.1 lbs
Aspiration Eaton Generation IV roots-type s
Drive Rear wheel drive

Not many pics. Feel free to add more :)

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 06:44 AM
the saleen would rip the cobra apart in every way, because it's power-weight ratio is a little better in the saleen. each pony in the saleen is carrying about one less pound than each pony in the cobra.

Misho
04-20-2004, 06:47 AM
What about prices ??

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Saleen Mustang S281: $42,900
Cobra SVT: $34,860

All prices are in USD

Quiggs
04-20-2004, 07:39 AM
Saleen in this comparison, but what about Roush? The Stage 3 package is only down 5 horses from the Saleen's number, and still performs as well- if not better- and IMO, looks a lot classier than the Saleen. Mmm, sidepipes...

http://www.roushperf.com/

Sweeney921
04-20-2004, 08:09 AM
very nice, but i'de still take the saleen

Cotterik
04-20-2004, 09:33 AM
The greatest Mustang of all time is without a doubt the shelby gt500.
However If i was to choose between the cobra & the saleen i'd have to go with the saleen because it looks more aggressive and, although it has less power on its side it leaps to 60 mph in just 4.8 seconds, whereas the cobra drags behind taking 5.4 seconds. There is a higher model of the S281: the Saleen Mustang S281-E. With a power upgrade to 425hp taking it to 60 in just 4.4 seconds. ( no competition )

http://www.fast-autos.com/saleencenter.htm

Awesome!!

Niko_Fx
04-20-2004, 10:12 AM
I thought that The Cobra was actually faster with a 4.4 time and the Saleen with a 4.7 time.

The Cobra has 6 speeds and the Saleen 5 because the Saleen is based on a Mustang GT.

I like them both. I voted for the Saleen cause I thought It'll be the one with less votes.

Saleen = 7 votes and Cobra = 2 (As of right now.)

more-boost1555
04-20-2004, 10:47 AM
The Saleen is an awesome stang no doubt. However I'd take the Cobra over an S281 anyday! Think about what you're getting guys!

The Saleen is based on the Mustang GT, which means it still has a five speed tranny, a solid rear axle, and 2 valve per cylinder SOHC engine. It might be quicker than a Cobra due to it's lighter weight, but in the long haul you are gonna be able to squeeze more juice out of a Cobra, which is cheaper to begin with.

Think about it, the Cobra is packing the DOHC 4 valve per cylinder heads, a full IRS, and a six speed tranny. It makes its 390 horse with the blower pushing out 8 pounds of boost max! I'm not sure what the Saleen is pushing but I'd be willing to bet it's more than 8 pounds. Plus it's been shown (in mags like 5.0 Mustang and Hot Rod) that the Cobra comes with a very restrictive exhaust. Performance exhaust units have yielded up to ten horse in articles I've read. So thats 400 horse with just exhaust and factory everything else! Put a new pulley in there and crank up the boost and you have one mean stang.

I'd rather have the Cobra's understated looks than the Saleen body kit anyway, but that's just me. I've always wanted an awesome sleeper, a black Cobra would be pretty sweet.

bk4uyeah
04-20-2004, 07:16 PM
While the SVT, Saleen, and Roush will all perform fairly equally, the Saleen takes the cake for looks!

Chinky_boi
04-20-2004, 07:27 PM
I thought that The Cobra was actually faster with a 4.4 time and the Saleen with a 4.7 time.

The Cobra has 6 speeds and the Saleen 5 because the Saleen is based on a Mustang GT.

I like them both. I voted for the Saleen cause I thought It'll be the one with less votes.

Saleen = 7 votes and Cobra = 2 (As of right now.)
ya the cobra does 0-60 in 4.4 second while the saleen does it in 4.7sec.

i choose the cobra because my dad use to own a 86 cobra gt. and it was awesome.

but what if mustang had all its tuners put together a ultimate american car.
it will be like mustang saleen svt cobra r. that would be awesome

Niko_Fx
04-20-2004, 08:11 PM

Saleen body with Cobra R engine would be awesome.

Falcon500
04-21-2004, 05:04 AM
I am a ford fan in general and i like all of these cars mentioned but mypreference would have to be the SVT...cheap and powerful....
Other things that make me wonder what about warrenty? replacement parts? are other things that might effect an idea of buying one...the roush or saleen wouldent have ford warrenty would they? :confused:

Niko_Fx
04-21-2004, 04:22 PM
the roush or saleen wouldent have ford warrenty would they? :confused:

I really don't know, would be interesting to know. Maybe Saleen offers a warranty.... but as good as Ford's??

Nash
04-23-2004, 11:52 PM
5.4 seconds 0-60 for an SVT Cobra? that's sounds extremely slow. I'm sure it's under 5 seconds.

Looks = obviously Saleen

Performance = Cobra

thinker
04-24-2004, 07:15 PM
is the sidepipe exhaust on the roush mustang just for looks or duz it actually make performance and sound better?

sgtrock
05-13-2004, 07:15 AM
I would have to choose the Saleen. The horsewpower #s for the Saleen are confirmed @ 6-8 lbs boost. The Cobra's have been dyno'ed around 365 as well. I know they are advertised at 390. Read the mags. They come in around 365 like clockwork before mods!! Both can easily be modded to push 400 at very little expense. I own a 99 Saleen # 282. I have in the past year looked at many Saleen's to replace mine and have found most have a 6 speed these days. Mine has the 5 speed. Of course until the 2003 year the Cobra was left in the dust. Both are great cars. I just prefer the looks of the Saleen and the fact that, there have been less Saleens made than there were Shelby's to this point. Keep it collectible

Niko_Fx
05-13-2004, 12:45 PM
I would have to choose the Saleen. The horsewpower #s for the Saleen are confirmed @ 6-8 lbs boost. The Cobra's have been dyno'ed around 365 as well. I know they are advertised at 390. Read the mags. They come in around 365 like clockwork before mods!! Both can easily be modded to push 400 at very little expense. I own a 99 Saleen # 282. I have in the past year looked at many Saleen's to replace mine and have found most have a 6 speed these days. Mine has the 5 speed. Of course until the 2003 year the Cobra was left in the dust. Both are great cars. I just prefer the looks of the Saleen and the fact that, there have been less Saleens made than there were Shelby's to this point. Keep it collectible

I think I speak for everybody when I say that we would love to see some pics of your Saleen with the proof of ownership (Paper with your nick written, stabbed on your shift knob)

Great car :)

thinker
05-16-2004, 02:40 PM
i would probably choose the cobra because it looks a lil less flashy than the saleen...i think the saleen looks awesome, but for a person like me who isnt really a racer, the cobra would fit better because the saleen looks less like an everyday driver car

hellraiser93gt
06-23-2004, 01:37 AM

i hate to tell ya but they didnt make the cobra untill 93' he could have had and svo but its not the same ford started svt mustangs in 93 and thats when they started making cobras again, sorry i'm just a mustang nut

DodgeNitroBIRM
06-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Maybe he's getting a '93 body mixed up with the '86 body?

essex
09-27-2004, 03:51 PM
It has to be the Cobra every time ... 4 valves per cylinder, suspension and brakes sorted ... 4.4 seconds and it's already stupidly fast ...

I've got one, and the supercharger easily boosted with a new pulley, re-map the chip and add a free breathing air filter .... adds around 44 rwhp ... for around 500bucks.

You get performance that most German and Italian exotica canot achieve despite costing three times as much.

Not sure what this takes the power figure from the engine to ... ? I presume the quoted 390bhp standard is at the crank, adding the above must make take that to around 440 ... and the torque curve (boosted low down enormously by the blower feeding through 32 valves) ... makes the Cobra one beautiful and ridiculously fast machine ... that handles and stops as it should despite the fact it's a little heavy. Power kicks in at just above 1000 revs and continues to scream with that beautiful supercharged whine all the way the to the red line...

Tyres don't last that long ... but the smile never fades

This is one Cobra living in England that is much loved!

jcp123
09-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Neither...get me a 351- or big-block-powered '65-73 model any day :rolleyes:

essex
09-27-2004, 04:34 PM
Neither...get me a 351- or big-block-powered '65-73 model any day :rolleyes:

I agree they're all beautiful... and to be honest I also love them ....

The love affair can occasionally kind of dwindle if you ever need to stop in a hurry though

jcp123
09-27-2004, 04:47 PM
hmm yeah...though power discs with 245/45zr17's help that

essex
09-27-2004, 04:55 PM
hmm yeah...though power discs with 245/45zr17's help that

But imagne life in the late sixties when radials were considered a luxury and people would have assumed that "245/45zr17" meant that someone had collapsed on their typewriter

Even though there was probably about a billion or so less cars on the road to worry about, they must have been pretty brave back then ....

and ps. the car looks lovely

jcp123
09-27-2004, 05:02 PM
yes, but then again you have to remember that nobody else stopped any better either...if you learned to drive with manual brakes, it was just...normal to drive like that. i think it's since the advent of "safer" cars that people have been driving like maniacs so you NEED the dang brakes now lol

anyway...that's quite a digression!!

essex
09-27-2004, 05:10 PM
yes, but then again you have to remember that nobody else stopped any better either...if you learned to drive with manual brakes, it was just...normal to drive like that. i think it's since the advent of "safer" cars that people have been driving like maniacs so you NEED the dang brakes now lol

anyway...that's quite a digression!!

true

but it's good to digress occasionally ... how's your air con? ;->

essex
09-27-2004, 05:17 PM
ok back on topic,

the cobra has nice pedals with a racing style bare-metal effect, it bings constantly at you if you don't wear your seatbelt and the handbook comes in a nice velvet effect cover

does that swing it?

04MysticCobra
10-23-2004, 05:26 PM
http:// Dudes come on, if you guys knew anything about Mustangs; you would realize that the new Cobra out performs in all aspects over the Saleen. Yes the Saleen looks great, but "and I stress" "but", if you compare power, torque, 0-60 time, price you would realize that the Cobra is by far the best between the both.

taz_rocks_miami
10-23-2004, 05:47 PM
That's a tough choice, I would like to see times around a track like Lime Rock or Sears Point. While HP and 0 to 60 is important to me, so is handling. What good is all that power if it won't turn!? If I had to choose, I'd go for the better handling of the two...or three if you include the Roush.

Anyone got track times on any of these cars??

Esperante
10-24-2004, 12:41 PM
Cobra-the thing's so powerful that Northpoint Ford of Chicago doesn't let people test drive them for fear they might lose control and crash them!

hotwheels
10-26-2004, 05:11 AM
the saleen without a doubt........everywhere i look anymore, i see a cobra.........hotwheels

Esperante
10-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Funny, I've barely ever seen a Cobra, only about 3 ever. I've seen massive amounts of Saleen's. I live in a big city, how could you see loads of Cobra's in Wyoming????

darkhorse302001
10-26-2004, 04:59 PM
For the money the SVT Cobra is beter and it is a 6 Spd. SVT does well with making things VERY fast ( :D IE Cobra R :D ) Saleen is a Super MUSTANG GT :eek: ... not a Cobra. Good Design all around but I still like the snake from SVT !

taz_rocks_miami
10-26-2004, 09:52 PM
I went over to the Roush web page and found that they use among others these engines:

Ford 402 CID 500 HP

Ford 427 CID 550 HP

I'll take the Roush Mustangs!!!

jcp123
10-27-2004, 04:41 PM
Neither...if I were gonna get a special model Mustang, I'd look for a Shelby

RS6
12-15-2004, 02:15 PM
Don't like this Mustang. The Saleen looks pretty cool but this Mustang is missing what the original model had. I would take a 60's model anyday.

taz_rocks_miami
12-15-2004, 03:38 PM
I visited Saleen's web stie and the up coming 2005 S-281E will have a 500HP engine. I'll change my vote for Saleen :) Oh, the 2005 S-281 puts out 400 HP now.

satta3
01-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Interesting discussion, I have been wrestling over the two for the past couple of monthes. I'm in the market for a high end mustang and have studied both cars. In the end, I chose the cobra. The cobra is an all around better car for the money. I can get an 03-04 with a warrenty still on it with under 10k miles for around $25k. The only saleens you can get for $25 are 99-01's with no warrenty. The cobra has irs, a 6spd, dohc motor, suead leather seats and are mean as hell. The saleen is nothing more than a beefed up gt with a nice body kit. There is a lot more potential in the cobra. It is just as fast as the cobra R and it even has AC and a decent sound system. The saleen is good looking, but will not hang with a cobra reguardless of what anyone here says. Something that might be interesting to you guys is that there is however, saleen cobra, but it is very rare and pricey.

6'bore
01-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Great. good for you. please don't dig up threads that are almost 1 MONTH old!!!!??? All you newbies are the same. Just please don't do it. Welcome and have fun on ucp

Niko_Fx
01-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Great. good for you. please don't dig up threads that are almost 1 MONTH old!!!!??? All you newbies are the same. Just please don't do it. Welcome and have fun on ucp

He did have some good/interesting points and the thread is as you say only 1 month old.

Reviving it with something such as "My cobra can kick your Saleen's butt" would definitely deserve your comment.... But his post IMO doesn't.

6'bore
01-15-2005, 04:45 AM
He did have some good/interesting points and the thread is as you say only 1 month old.

Reviving it with something such as "My cobra can kick your Saleen's butt" would definitely deserve your comment.... But his post IMO doesn't.

well sorry satta. Its just recently alot of newbies have been digging old threads up and its really getting old fast