PDA

View Full Version : Feedback: what don't we like about the current reputation system?

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 08:31 PM
Ever since the rep system was brought in, theres been people who have had problems with it, for many different reasons. Whether thats because its made it a competition, who can acumulate the most rep points, or other things like how some people such as my self have more than twice the power to give rep points than people more deserving like crisis, Matra and Egg Nog. Any thoughts?

On a similar thought, ive been thinking lately, and perhaps someone else has got the same idea, that rather than have a system going for outright points, each user can have a rating system like the 5 star system on threads?

IBrake4Rainbows
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Hey, great idea for a thread.

My main problem with it is that is seems so subjective. it tries to value what a person writes, and unless we have a panel of people judging every post, then we can't really do that. I do agree that it should not really be based on post numbers, but i also think that the 5 star system is also too general. Maybe a rating out of 50 or something, because this might mean that someone may be on a three star level, who has 25 posts, is valued the same as someone with 100 posts on 3 stars.

Rep is a difficult thing to judge anyway, we seem to be the only forums who actively try to better it rather than just get rid of it, or let it take over. but in all honesty i think we should abolish it, let users make up there own mind on other users. The rep may be a guide, but it's not a very clear or fair one, but it's the only one we've got.

fpv_gtho
04-20-2004, 08:47 PM
well whatever we do, theres always going to be someone that won't be catered for it. i dont know how Wouter feels about the rep system, but i know several people have expressed their opinion fairly harshly about the system. maybe one of the biggest problems with the system is some people are taking it too seriously. rather than seeing it as "geez, that guys got 3 points more than me, if i can impress fpv_gtho or Falcon500 enough i can get ahead of him", they should be looking it as "we've both got over X amount of points, we're doing great"

well it was last night that i was thinking about the 5 star system. using such a small number, it wouldnt be that descriptive, but if it was increased to almost 50, it wouldnt be that far off the current system, so maybe going off 10 stars would be better?

IBrake4Rainbows
04-21-2004, 12:36 AM
I think the 10 Stars is a good thing, heres a method i devised.

We ALL start out with 5 stars, when a moderator sees a good or a bad post they will randomly sample 10 posts from that user, which each moderator must overlook and score out of 10. Once all the scores are tallied an average will be determined. if the average is 6-8 they will go up 1 star, 9-10 they go up 2. If the Average is 5 they stay still. 2-4 they go down 1 star, 0-1 they go down 2.

What do you think, it might be a bit of hard work but surely it's more representive of the users abilities and knowledge than the Rep System.

fpv_gtho
04-21-2004, 03:00 AM
its certainly a professional way to do things. it would make it harder for someone to try gain rep points on purpose, as they would have to consistently have good and reasonable posts. with it also having a maximum attainable reputation it somewhat stops it turning into a chase for rep points as well

Matra et Alpine
04-21-2004, 08:32 AM
I think the 10 Stars is a good thing, heres a method i devised.

We ALL start out with 5 stars, when a moderator sees a good or a bad post they will randomly sample 10 posts from that user, which each moderator must overlook and score out of 10. Once all the scores are tallied an average will be determined. if the average is 6-8 they will go up 1 star, 9-10 they go up 2. If the Average is 5 they stay still. 2-4 they go down 1 star, 0-1 they go down 2.

What do you think, it might be a bit of hard work but surely it's more representive of the users abilities and knowledge than the Rep System.
A LOT too much work for the moderators :(

The whole thing is subjective and trying to make it objective would be very difficult and time-consumming.
It's like trying to make a nations exam fit a standard so that hundreds of thousands scan complete say an English exam and everyone get fair marks for the work. It takes months of training of the markers and recorders to make a simple FIXED exam approach objectivity. That multiplied by the thousands of posts in UCP could be a nightmare.

I keep repeating my mantra. Simple is best. The current one has the 'complexity' that some folks can give more rep points than others. I don't think that bit is necessary. After all it's the AUTHOR's work we're scoring, so how come 'wee jonny' can write a post today and get one rep point for it and tomorrow can write a similar post and get 2 just because the person who is GIVING the rep point has had good posts in the past. THAT is the bit that's flawed for me.

Simple is best.... maybe we should stop calling them rep points. Call them Misho points in recognition of the greatness of the man and in his memory :)

Would you seek more Mishos than the next person the same way they seek 'reputation' ??

Anyway, does anyone actually seek reputation ?
The ONLY time I've been asked by anyone about getting rep points it was ONLY so they could get to the magic 20 and start handing them out !!!

Maybe a lesson there :)

ZerK
04-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Simple is best.... maybe we should stop calling them rep points. Call them Misho points in recognition of the greatness of the man and in his memory :)

Would you seek more Mishos than the next person the same way they seek 'reputation' ??

I like that idea! In memory of Misho and all the hard work he put into his attempts to make UCP Forums a better place :)

Misho
04-21-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok ok, my departure was a scam caused by a slight misunderstanding !!
Here is the real deal http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3324

Please dont call them Mishos !! :D rep points sounds good !!

and Zerk, I never knew i was making UCP a better place !! i've always though i was doing the opposite, but thanks anyways !!

bballmikey105
04-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I dont think the rep points matter so much. If people compete for rep points then I think thats a good thing. The rep points just help ensure quality posts. The Misho ratio doesnt matter because you dont have a higher probability of getting a plus rep if you post more. But i guess it is a good idea.

Egg Nog
04-28-2004, 04:36 PM
I've tried in the past to give Wouter all of my best arguments towards letting the system go altogether. I still haven't convinced him though. I still say that the best method is no method, and this also eliminates the aspect of competition, rivalry, and even scorn...

People should be able to establish themselves as who they are. The rep system makes everything far too complicated... simple is best, and no system at all is the most simple way!

I don't think that the idea that "new users can see who is/isn't respected" is a good enough point to offset the counter-arguments. Is it time for a vote?

GT500
04-28-2004, 05:34 PM
EggNog, you shouldn't be saying that, 79 rep pts.... ;)

I think the rep system is ok, it's just there. I never really pay attention to it too much....

Egg Nog
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
EggNog, you shouldn't be saying that, 79 rep pts.... ;)

This figure should have nothing to do with my opinion on the system. To me, just the fact that you said this relates to my point. Whatever the rep is, it shouldn't matter. We should base each other on what we say and do.

What I'm saying now is what I've been saying this all along. I'm not striving to be "the best"; I don't think anybody should be... Except for the small mod/member difference, everybody should be considered equal, and fend for themselves based on what they say and how they conduct themselves.

crisis
04-28-2004, 06:19 PM
maybe one of the biggest problems with the system is some people are taking it too seriously.
That is the only problem. I think they make the site a little (more) interesting. I find them useful for dumping on particularly idiotic comments and I must add that I have felt less need to do that of late. Maybe there is some value? Despite the inherent flaws, I think that they give a reasonable reflection of the persons posting quality. Egg Nog and Matra deserve their tallies.
Plus I dont trust that Misho person!