PDA

View Full Version : Spyker drops Albers

Zytek_Fan
07-11-2007, 12:29 AM
The Spyker F1 team has confirmed that Christijan Albers will no longer race for them in the 2007 FIA Formula 1 World Championship - as predicted by Crash.net on Monday.

According to a statement by the Silverstone-based outfit though it has nothing to do with his performance - or lack of performance, relative to his rookie team-mate, Adrian Sutil, rather it is due to 'commercial difficulties' and the fact one of Albers' main personal sponsors continues to stay in default.

"This has been a very difficult decision," explained team boss, Colin Kolles. "Christijan has started to find some form in the car, but the team's ambitious development programme has been seriously compromised by non-payment by one of his sponsors and we are faced with no other option."

Spyker F1 director, Michiel Mol meanwhile echoed those sentiments and emphasised that Albers' exit has nothing to do with his on-track form, something that has come under fresh scrutiny recently, especially after he drove out of the pit-lane at Magny Cours two weeks ago with the refuelling hose still attached to his car, hastening his retirement from the race.

"The decision to replace Christijan is one of the hardest I have had to take since becoming involved in the team," Mol continued. "By terminating the contract with Christijan and the subsequent entering into a new contract it enables Spyker F1 Ltd. to safeguard its strong financial footing needed to fulfil its technical and commercial goals. We do not expect this will have any adverse effect on Spyker F1's financial result this year.

"We would also like to stress this decision has nothing to do with Christijan's recent performances - we still have faith in his contribution as a driver - but the long-term future of the team is of paramount importance. We would like to thank Christijan for his input and wish him every success in the future."

Who will replace Albers' was not confirmed, the team noting that 'an announcement on his replacement and the financial conditions will be made in due course'.

A number of drivers' are said to be in the frame to step into the now vacant seat, including Honda third driver, Christian Klien, who is one of the favourites, as well as Ferrari tester, Marc Gene and Williams tester, Narain Karthikeyan, although the latter is believed to be more likely to replace the recovering Ernesto Viso at GP2 outfit Racing Engineering.

More to follow as and when it happens...

Even though his sponsors weren't paying, I'm sure his horrible performances had something to do with it. He drives off with the fuel rig in France and is always slower than Adrian Sutil.

I hope Spyker can replace him with a good driver so they can start pushing toward the front...er..at least midfield.

Wouter Melissen
07-11-2007, 12:55 AM
I hope Spyker can replace him with a good driver so they can start pushing toward the front...er..at least midfield.

Ah yeah, just like Sutil has been doing.

go.pawel
07-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Ah yeah, just like Sutil has been doing.

Well, you can't beat the numbers. Sutil's average position this season (excl. retirements) has been 15.2, whereas Albers' 15.4 :D

henk4
07-11-2007, 03:17 AM
Well, you can't beat the numbers. Sutil's average position this season (excl. retirements) has been 15.2, whereas Albers' 15.4 :D

integer numbers......:)

Jack_Bauer
07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Christian Klien has been given permission by Honda to test for Spyker at Spa this week, so it's almost certain that he will be driving for them at the Nurburgring next weekend. He was the obvious choice, and definitely the most sensible decision under the circumstances.

ZeTurbo
07-11-2007, 04:51 PM
they should have never gotten rid of Monteiro. He was much better than Albers i find.

Zytek_Fan
07-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Christian Klien has been given permission by Honda to test for Spyker at Spa this week, so it's almost certain that he will be driving for them at the Nurburgring next weekend. He was the obvious choice, and definitely the most sensible decision under the circumstances.

What are Klien's sponsors?

Jack_Bauer
07-11-2007, 05:48 PM
What are Klien's sponsors?

I don't really know. He's fully signed up as part of the Honda team at the moment, they are just loaning him to Spyker for the time being. On his personal web page his "Partners" list consists only of Honda F1 Racing. Whether he will be able to bring in much sponsorship money if he drives for them is hard to say, but looking at it purely from a racing point of view I'd say he's the best driver out there at the moment who is without a seat and has the relevant experience.

I suppose if Spyker are just looking at who can potentially bring in the most money then Karthikayen would be the obvious choice, but he's less likely to do the business out on the track IMO. Just depends how desperate Spyker are for the cash at this moment.

fpv_gtho
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
they should have never gotten rid of Monteiro. He was much better than Albers i find.

Monteiro and Albers had both had their time in F1 IMO. Monterio had 2 years and Albers now had 2 and a half, and the Spyker bosses have already hinted that Albers wouldve had to move on at the end of the year. After that length of time, they needed more than their sponsors keeping them in a seat.

henk4
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM

did you see his less than impressive performance at the WTCC in Porto last weekend?

ZeTurbo
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
did you see his less than impressive performance at the WTCC in Porto last weekend?
No. But i can remember his impressive 2 years in jordan/midland. I just think that at the time he would have been a better choice.

henk4
07-11-2007, 11:23 PM
No. But i can remember his impressive 2 years in jordan/midland. I just think that at the time he would have been a better choice.

we will never know....

go.pawel
07-12-2007, 12:12 AM
Albers is considering legal actions against Spyker. He says that at the beginning of the year he received an oral and written guarantee that he'll retain the driver's seat for the whole season even in case of sponsorship problems.
Furthermore, he insists that Mingya (the non-paying sponsor) has been signed as a sponsor directly to Spyker team and not personally to him as a driver.

ZeTurbo
07-12-2007, 11:20 AM
we will never know....
true... :(

this albers affair is starting to get ugly.