PDA

View Full Version : Colin McRae To Drive 550 Maranello at Le Mans

UK CARS
04-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Colin McRae To Drive 550 Maranello at Le Mans

Former World Rally Champion Colin McRae is now looking forward even more to making his debut at the famous La Sarthe circuit of Le Mans, having recently completed a two-day test at Circuit Paul Ricard at Le Castellet, southern France.

Driving a Care Racing Ferrari 550 Maranello, the Scot left the test feeling very at home in his new cockpit surroundings and upbeat about the challenge of the 24 Hour race. Also at the test was Swiss driver Alain Menu, winner of last year’s Petit Le Mans race in a Care Racing supported, Prodrive operated Ferrari 550.

Back home and training hard for the endurance classic, McRae reflected on the test session:

“It was a bit frustrating on the first day as we didn’t get as many laps in as we’d have liked due to an electrical problem which caused an intermittent engine misfire. The team solved that overnight and the second day was much smoother. I got some good laps in on the second day and did a whole stint (one hour) where all my lap times were within a second of each other so I’m pleased with that.

“I haven’t got my seat sorted out properly yet so had some back problems, but that’s nothing that can’t be fixed with a seat fitting which we’ll do in the next week or so.

“By the end of the test I felt at home in the car and had begun to explore its limits. We made various adjustments, all of which I could feel, so I’m now reasonably confident with the car and my performance. I know it will be a learning curve, once at Le Mans, and I would of course have liked to do some more testing, but it’s a good start. It’s comforting for me to know I’ll be in a Prodrive run car, knowing the team and many of the people so well, so now I just want to get to Le Mans and get to know the circuit.”

Coventrysucks
04-26-2004, 07:17 AM
The latest I have heard is that he may be entering Rally GB in a Subaru later in the year.