PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Formula One Hungarian Grand Prix

Jack_Bauer
08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
The Hungaroring this weekend offers a welcome break from the public mudslinging and back-stabbing of the "Stepneygate" spying controversy that has dogged F1 over the past few weeks. Ferrari will be looking to hit back after their disappointing result at the Nuerburgring two weeks ago, where Alonso stole victory from them in a thrilling final few laps. Championship leader Hamilton will be trying to stop the rot as his teammate has closed the lead in the title race to just two points. He didn't get his weekend off to the best start though, as he ended the day's practice sessions in the gravel trap after a spin.

Alonso finished the day as the fastest man on the track, surprisingly just ahead of Heikki Kovalainen's Renault. BMW also showed some decent pace with Kubica the fastest man in the first session, and Heidfeld ahead of both Ferraris in the second. Rosberg also looks to be on good form in the Williams. Sakon Yamamoto was making his Spyker debut today, and he looked massively off the pace. In both sessions he was close to SIX seconds per lap slower than the leading cars, and ended the final session close to three seconds slower than teammate Adrian Sutil. It's gonna be a long weekend for the young Japanese.

Practice One

01 R. Kubica BMW 1:22.390 25 laps
02 F. Massa Ferrari 1:22.519 18 laps
03 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:22.540 21 laps
04 F. Alonso McLaren 1:22.585 18 laps
05 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:22.654 19 laps
06 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:22.891 24 laps
07 N. Rosberg Williams 1:22.983 19 laps
08 J. Button Honda 1:23.294 20 laps
09 R. Barrichello Honda 1:23.601 20 laps
10 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:23.802 27 laps
11 A. Davidson Super Aguri 1:24.102 13 laps
12 J. Trulli Toyota 1:24.318 30 laps
13 A. Wurz Williams 1:24.321 12 laps
14 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:24.474 17 laps
15 H. Kovalainen Renault 1:24.733 18 laps
16 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:24.905 26 laps
17 G. Fisichella Renault 1:24.920 19 laps
18 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:24.976 20 laps
19 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:25.307 13 laps
20 M. Webber Red Bull 1:25.584 14 laps
21 A. Sutil Spyker F1 1:26.332 29 laps
22 S. Yamamoto Spyker F1 1:28.118 30 laps

Practice Two

01 F. Alonso McLaren 1:20.919 29 laps
02 H. Kovalainen Renault 1:21.283 39 laps
03 L. Hamilton McLaren 1:21.338 32 laps
04 N. Rosberg Williams 1:21.485 40 laps
05 N. Heidfeld BMW 1:21.517 37 laps
06 K. Räikkönen Ferrari 1:21.589 29 laps
07 F. Massa Ferrari 1:21.620 39 laps
08 G. Fisichella Renault 1:21.698 36 laps
09 J. Trulli Toyota 1:21.857 35 laps
10 R. Kubica BMW 1:21.906 37 laps
11 R. Schumacher Toyota 1:21.912 29 laps
12 A. Wurz Williams 1:21.987 35 laps
13 M. Webber Red Bull 1:22.325 28 laps
14 D. Coulthard Red Bull 1:22.483 33 laps
15 A. Davidson Super Aguri 1:22.510 41 laps
16 J. Button Honda 1:22.550 47 laps
17 T. Sato Super Aguri 1:22.556 42 laps
18 R. Barrichello Honda 1:22.727 29 laps
19 V. Liuzzi Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:23.136 42 laps
20 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso 1:23.148 39 laps
21 A. Sutil Spyker F1 1:23.673 34 laps
22 S. Yamamoto Spyker F1 1:26.307 29 laps

Homem de Gelo
08-03-2007, 11:00 AM
If everything goes alrught, Alonso is the favourite for the win. He had the pace in practice and at times it seemed as if he had some bit more in reserve.

I hope McLaren stomp everyone like they did at Monaco, but that would not be beyond optimistic. So, as long as they confirm predictions and win with Alonso, I'll be perfectly pleased. And I hope Massa gives Raikkonen a beating too, although I won't bet a coin on it.

What do you guys expect?

Lets Gekiga In
08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, I'm rooting for Raikkonen as per usual. :D

Jack_Bauer
08-04-2007, 06:20 AM
Fernando Alonso takes pole position for the Hungarian Grand Prix in HIGHLY controversial fashion in Budapest! It looked all day long as though it would be a two horse race for the pole between the two McLaren drivers, and so it proved. However, it looked as though Fernando Alonso deliberately blocked his teammate in the pitlane, meaning that Hamilton was unable to get a second hot lap in. On his final lap Alonso put in an excellent lap to beat Hamilton by a little over a tenth of a second, but all the talk in the press conference and in the McLaren team briefings will be about what Alonso was playing at in the pits. The lollipop was up, the team were motioning for him to get a move on, but he refused to budge. Perhaps he had some sort of problem, but Ron Dennis looked absolutely furious as a result, which would suggest that it was down to gamesmanship. If Alonso did that deliberately then he will be in BIG trouble with his team.

Below the flying McLarens there was a fairly dismal session for the Ferraris. Raikkonen was pipped to 3rd by Nick Heidfeld, and Felipe Massa had some sort of chronic handling problem meaning that he failed to even get through to the final session. He will start provisionally from 14th. Nico Rosberg took an impressive 5th for Williams ahead of Schumacher in the Toyota who look on decent form this weekend. Kubica took 7th in the second BMW, ahead of Fisichella, Trulli and Webber.

Coulthard was unlucky to miss out on the top ten, missing out by one-hundredth of a second to Kubica. Next come Kovalainen, Wurz, the struggling Massa, and Davidson and Liuzzi who both performed well to get into the second session. The Hondas were poor yet again with Button and Barrichello both just missing out on the second session. Sato was just ahead of Torro Rosso debutant Sebastien Vettel, with the two Spykers unsurprisingly last. Sakon Yamamoto did look to be badly held up by Fisichella on his hot lap. It would not have got him through to the second session, but rules is rules and there may be disciplinary action against Fisichella who should really know better.

So it will be an all McLaren front row tomorrow, but it does not look a happy camp at McLaren. Hamilton was diplomatic in the post qualy press conference, but his body language said it all. He was fuming. There looks to be some real enmity brewing between the two of them now, it will be fascinating to see how things pan out between the two of them tomorrow. Will Ron Dennis be able to keep a lid on things, or will their tempers boil over in a Prost/Senna type fashion?

Provisional Starting Grid

1. Alonso
2. Hamilton
3. Heidfeld
4. Raikkonen
5. Rosberg
6. Schumacher
7. Kubica
8. Fisichella
9. Trulli
10. Webber
11. Coulthard
12. Kovalainen
13. Wurz
14. Massa
15. Davidson
16. Liuzzi
17. Button
18. Barrichello
19. Sato
20. Vettel
21. Sutil
22. Yamamoto

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2007, 06:23 AM
ooooh, handbags at 30 feet coming up :)

Alonso is in for a roasting. Ron looked like he was leading Fernando's trainer off for an executino :D

ALonso is going to learn that Ron considers the team is always more important than the driver.
He'll do one of three things .....
1) Tell ALonso he's starting from the pit lane
... and if he doesnt' agree to that ......
2) replace the engine and then the organisers will force him to start in 11th !!
... or .....
3) Kick him off the team

Ferrer
08-04-2007, 06:31 AM
ALonso is going to learn that Ron considers the team is always more important than the driver.
He'll do one of three things .....
1) Tell ALonso he's starting from the pit lane
... and if he doesnt' agree to that ......
2) replace the engine and then the organisers will force him to start in 11th !!
... or .....
3) Kick him off the team
I doubt he is going to hamper its team chances that way. However it'll be interesting how this fight inside the team develops...

Lets Gekiga In
08-04-2007, 06:48 AM

I'm not so sure that Ron really believes the team is more important than the individual (at least not right now). I believe if he thought that, he wouldn't make a big deal out of getting 1st and 2nd in qualifying.

By his reaction, you would've assumed McLaren didn't make it past the first qualifying round.

Wouter Melissen
08-04-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm not so sure that Ron really believes the team is more important than the individual (at least not right now). I believe if he thought that, he wouldn't make a big deal out of getting 1st and 2nd in qualifying.

He probably felt that Alonso's action showed he thought he was more important than the team. I believe that is what Matra is in implying.

RazaBlade
08-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Although I believe that everyone should have fair chances at proving their skill, and Alonso seems to have robbed that from Hamilton, I musty admit that it made BLOODY good TV viewing, I was so excited to see what would happen after the break. Might be the first time in a long while that I watch the pre-race build-up. I felt so sorry for Alonso's trainer, he looked like a little school kid about to be taken in front of the headmaster! Ron looked well pissed!! Alonso adopting Schumachers school of driving - fast on the track, but even faster at getting one over the competition??

RacingManiac
08-04-2007, 07:19 AM
I thought the guy was holding him not with the lollipop but just gesturing him to stay put with his hand, like in the previous stop. Judging by the suspicious timing between Alonso's outlap and beginning of Kimi's fast lap(where Kimi just passed Alonso right after the first corner on his hot lap), I think they were actually trying to get out right in front of the Ferrari, but that ended up being a tad longer than what Lewis can make up on his out lap.....

I don't think even Alonso can get away with purposely not moving in the pitlane...

Lets Gekiga In
08-04-2007, 07:22 AM
I thought the guy was holding him not with the lollipop but just gesturing him to stay put with his hand, like in the previous stop. Judging by the suspicious timing between Alonso's outlap and beginning of Kimi's fast lap(where Kimi just passed Alonso right after the first corner on his hot lap), I think they were actually trying to get out right in front of the Ferrari, but that ended up being a tad longer than what Lewis can make up on his out lap.....

I don't think even Alonso can get away with purposely not moving in the pitlane...
Yeah, even Peter Windsor was saying it wasn't the case that Alonso was just staying there on his own accord. I mean, Alonso definitely didn't mind I imagine, but he wasn't doing it on purpose.

Cyco
08-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I think Alonso played it brilliantly to get one over Hamilton, but I'm not sure Ron Dennis sees it that way.

Massa was having a shocker, including stopping in the pit lane just before heading out the 2nd time for Q2

Lets Gekiga In
08-04-2007, 11:27 AM
I think Alonso played it brilliantly to get one over Hamilton, but I'm not sure Ron Dennis sees it that way.
Meh, like I said before Peter Windsor even said that he really didn't think it was Alonso's doing at all.

RacingManiac
08-04-2007, 11:52 AM
autosport.com - F1 News: Dennis: Hamilton triggered incident (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61368)

McLaren's official reasoning....

Rockefella
08-04-2007, 01:59 PM
autosport.com - F1 News: Dennis: Hamilton triggered incident (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61368)

McLaren's official reasoning....

I could smell BS from the other room when I had this link opened. Of course they blame the incident on Hamilton, who was obviously fuming at the situation. If Lewis knew he was at blame, I doubt he would have put off that same body language.

Oh, and Dennis using 'and that is the truth', 'I have told you precisely the truth', 'if you are looking for a sound bite or headline ... I have told you, precisely, the truth' gets old after a few uses.

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
yeah you can always tell when Ron is lying .... his lips are moving :D

Rockefella
08-04-2007, 02:40 PM
yeah you can always tell when Ron is lying .... his lips are moving :D

That's why his poker career never blossomed.

Jack_Bauer
08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Well, it's official. Alonso has been stripped of pole and demoted five grid places for tomorrow's race. Alonso and McLaren will both be furious at the decision, but there's not a lot they can do about it now, just grin and bear it.

Hungarian Grand Prix stewards have sent Fernando Alonso back to sixth on the grid after investigating the pit lane incident involving the two McLaren drivers during Saturday's qualifying session.

Alonso controversially seized pole position from team-mate Lewis Hamilton after holding up the British driver in the McLaren pit stall for around 10 seconds.

The delay cost Hamilton the chance to respond when Alonso beat his time on his final run, since by the time he reached the start/finish line the chequered flag had fallen on the session.

The stewards summoned McLaren boss Ron Dennis, team manager Dave Ryan and both drivers, and reviewed TV footage and team radio communications.

After hours of deliberation, they stripped Alonso of pole and demoted him to sixth on the grid.

An official FIA statement explaining the decision is expected shortly.

magracer
08-04-2007, 04:22 PM
What a silly weekend!

Silly move by Alonso and his team. I didn't really see anybody hurrying Alonso or making gestures when he didn't leave the pits when instructed. An easy 1-2 converted into a 1-6. Somebody mustn't be happy.

Meanwhile in NASCAR in Montreal an enraged Robbie Gordon after being spun by Ambrose while leading just ran through the whole field WHILE BEHIND THE PACE CAR and sat on Ambrose tail just to spin him on the first turn after being realeased. Aso ignored pit crew instructions to get behind car number 33 in 17th position. I really want to see what type of fine he gets from NASCAR. A race on the grand stands should fit him fine, but then I don't know anyting about NASCAR rules so it could be cash and points.

During the after race interviews Gordon even claims he won the race! What planet is he from? Also, Scott Pruett got another bump in the rear just as Montoya did in Mexico. He must be a little pissed again claiming low down, nasty driving.

Matra et Alpine
08-04-2007, 04:25 PM
wow, no points for McLaren !!!
Sounds like the stewards saw Ron's lips move :)

Alonso demoted to sixth on grid
Saturday, 04, August, 2007, 22:32

Fernando Alonso has been demoted to sixth on the grid for the Hungarian Grand Prix after stewards deemed he impeded McLaren team-mate Lewis Hamilton's chances of taking pole position.

Alonso and the team's actions forced Hamilton to wait in the McLaren pit as the pair stacked up prior to their final qualifying runs.

And while the world champion made it back on track in time to record his pole lap, Hamilton missed the cut despite dominating the session until that point.

The 22-year-old was forced to settle for second, but will now start from the front of the grid.

McLaren has also been informed that it will not be eligible to score constructors' championship points in Sunday's race with either car.

Team principal Ron Dennis told reporters after qualifying that the mix-up began because Hamilton didn't follow instructions to allow Alonso past during the fuel-burning phase of Q3, thus throwing the McLarens out of sequence.

Alonso also staunchly defended his position, arguing that he was simply following the instructions of his engineers.

But after reviewing McLaren's radio transmissions and interviewing Dennis, team manager Dave Ryan and both drivers, the stewards said they did not accept the team's or Alonso's explanations, issuing their verdict some eight hours after qualifying ended.

Alonso's grid relegation is not appealable but McLaren is expected to challenge the deduction of constructors' points in the International Court of Appeal.

Jack_Bauer
08-04-2007, 04:38 PM
Demoting Alonso is justified, but not allowing McLaren to score WCC points is a little odd IMO. Seems to me like all the evidence points to Alonso causing the whole situation by himself, against the wishes of his team. Why the team should then be punished doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I guess that steward's decision will now just make Fernando even more unpopular with his team!

Jack_Bauer
08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Oooooh, I wonder how much truth there is in this?!

Taken from this Times article - Alonso in dirty tricks row - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article2199765.ece)

“It definitely needs a good explanation,” said a clearly annoyed Hamilton, who had expressed his frustration at the Monaco Grand Prix in May when he was ordered by the team not to challenge Alonso for the race lead. “I really don’t understand why I was held back. I guess you should ask the team, and I definitely will do when I go back and have the debrief.”

The 22-year-old from Stevenage exchanged angry words with Dennis as he returned to the pits, reportedly saying: “Don’t ever f****** do that to me again!” Dennis replied: “Don’t ever f****** speak to me like that again!” Hamilton delivered a final riposte: “Go f****** swivel!”

Dennis downplayed the incident afterwards. “I was quite firm on the radio and he was reasonably firm back,” he said.

Of course, the key word in that article is Hamilton "reportedly" saying. Could just be hack journalist nonsense.

motorsportnerd
08-04-2007, 05:44 PM
I could smell BS from the other room when I had this link opened. Of course they blame the incident on Hamilton, who was obviously fuming at the situation. If Lewis knew he was at blame, I doubt he would have put off that same body language.

Oh, and Dennis using 'and that is the truth', 'I have told you precisely the truth', 'if you are looking for a sound bite or headline ... I have told you, precisely, the truth' gets old after a few uses.

Ah, Ronspeak. We should be getting used to it. He has used the words "I have told you precisely the truth" on numerous occasions both this weekend and during the on-going spy row.

motorsportnerd
08-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Oooooh, I wonder how much truth there is in this?!

Taken from this Times article - Alonso in dirty tricks row - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/formula_1/article2199765.ece)

Of course, the key word in that article is Hamilton "reportedly" saying. Could just be hack journalist nonsense.

If Hamilton really did say this to Ron, it would explain why Ron has been publicly backing Alonso's version of events. I can fully understand why Lewis would have been upset over what took place, but talking back to Ron in such a way isn't good for his career prospects.

It did look to me that Alonso was playing a tactical move. It also looked like Hamilton was being very reserved in what he said to the media. I can only assume Hamilton must've been thinking, well, I'll just have to get Alonso back sometime. However, the steward's decision to penalise Alonso shows quite clearly that they do not want drivers using such gamesmanship. It prevents any other driver trying such a tactic in the future.

I'm interested in the stewards decision to strip McLaren of any potential World Constructors Championship points this weekend. They are not just stripping the WCC points earned by Alonso's car, but also, the points earned by Hamilton's car. This suggests that the stewards accept that Hamilton did play some role in the whole incident himself, by ignoring team orders at the start of the session to let Alonso by and thereby putting the whole team schedule out of order. Also, if the Alonso did indeed deliberately hold Hamilton up (as the stewards determined, and as it appeared on the TV coverage), why is the McLaren team as a whole being penalised?

Since Ron takes the view that the team is more important than the drivers, he is going to be extremely angry that only drivers points can be scored by either McLaren driver this weekend.

RacingManiac
08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
I think the whole WCC points thing is based on the "no team order" rule....as they see this as a form of team order being executed by McLaren....I'd be interested to know what occured during radio traffic....

Kitdy
08-04-2007, 07:48 PM
How interesting all of this is. I don't know what to believe for now - I am going to wait until all the dust settles.

What I am waiting to see is the FIA steward's explanation of exactly what happened - I think that will be very interesting.

Lets Gekiga In
08-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Man, I really do have to say. I think this has been the craziest race weekend I have seen for some years!

motorsportnerd
08-05-2007, 12:20 AM
I think the whole WCC points thing is based on the "no team order" rule....as they see this as a form of team order being executed by McLaren....I'd be interested to know what occured during radio traffic....

I guess this would be the order to Lewis that he was to move aside and let Alonso past on the first lap after being released from the pits.
If this is regarded as "team orders", then it is stupid. This was qualifying, not the race. McLaren was simply, in this case, and as all the teams do, trying to work out the optimum strategy for bringing their drivers into the pits for fresh tyres. After all - the drivers are racing the clock in qualifying, not each other.
Hopefully the FIA does not ban team orders in qualifying - how a team devises it strategy to ensure both drivers get the best shot at qualifying is part of F1 racing.

Jack_Bauer
08-05-2007, 04:59 AM
What I am waiting to see is the FIA steward's explanation of exactly what happened - I think that will be very interesting.

Alonso was asked why he waited for some 10 seconds before leaving the pits after being given the signal to leave. His response was that he was enquiring as to whether the correct set of tyres had been fitted to his car. When asked why this conversation did not take place during the 20 second period when his car sat stationary all work on it having been completed, it was stated that it was not possible to communicate by radio because of the countdown being given to him.

The explanation given by Alonso as to why at the expiration of the 20 second period he remained in his pit stop position for a further 10 seconds is not accepted. The Stewards find that he unnecessarily impeded another driver, Hamilton, and as a result he will be penalised by a loss of 5 grid positions.

The team were asked to explain why having indicated to Hamilton that he must stop at his pit on the next lap, they then informed Alonso whilst he was still on the track that when he also pitted on the next lap he would be held for 20 seconds.

The team stated that they frequently give estimates as to duration of pit stop to their drivers before they pit and that the reason the car was in fact held for 20 seconds was that it was being counted down prior to release at a beneficial time regard being given to other cars on the track.

Reference to the circuit map shows that at the time Alonso was told he would be held for 20 seconds there were but 4 cars on the circuit, his own and those of Fisichella, Hamilton and Raikkonen. All but Raikkonen entered the pits such that there can have been no necessity to keep Alonso in the pits for 20 seconds waiting for a convenient gap in traffic in which to leave.

The explanation given by the team as to why they kept Alonso stationary for 20 seconds after completion of his tyre change and therefore delayed Hamilton's own pit stop is not accepted.

So McLaren have been punished for holding Alonso for 20 seconds PRIOR to Alonso staying in his pit box for a further 10 seconds. I still don't really understand what the McLaren team are supposed to have done wrong by holding Alonso for a little longer than usual. Surely it is entirely the team's prerogative how long their own pit stops last for? I don't see what it's got to do with the FIA stewards. As far as I'm aware there's no rule stopping a team pitting for 5 seconds or 25 seconds, it's a team matter not a race stewards' matter. :confused:

Cyco
08-05-2007, 06:21 AM
What was the bright orange thing thrown away from Hieldfeld's car during his last stop?

Cyco
08-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Now the FIA is saying that McLaren should not take part in the podium ceremony - this is just ridiculous.

Jack_Bauer
08-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Lewis Hamilton claimed his third career victory by leading from pole to flag at the Hungaroring. It was by no means an easy race for Hamilton who had Kimi Raikkonen's Ferrari breathing down his neck for pretty much the entire race. Yet despite the intense pressure the rookie didn't crack, and he extends his Championship lead over Fernando Alonso by another 5 points. Kimi Raikkonen rescued a decent 2nd place for Ferrari after what was very forgettable race weekend for the Scuderia. BMW's Nick Heidfeld took a very well deserved 3rd place after starting from the front row.

All the talk before the race surrounded F1's current bad-boy Fernando Alonso. He was starting the race from 6th place in what was clearly a very competitive McLaren car. The Budapest circuit is notoriously difficult to pass on and Alonso knew he needed a good start to get himself into podium contention. He didn't get it. He got away OK and tried to have a look down the inside of Nico Rosberg into turn 1, but simultaneously Rosberg had a look down the inside of Heidfeld's BMW. Alonso erred on the side of caution and backed right off, which allowed Kubica to leap frog Alonso in turn 1. Out front Hamilton got away well but Heidfeld got a poor start which allowed Kimi to make a move around the outside. Bad news for the German, but good news for the race as it immediately released Raikkonen to chase down Hamilton.

Raikkonen and Hamilton exchanged fastest laps throughout the race and the gap between the two never got beyond 4.6 seconds. However, try as he might Kimi just couldn't get close enough to make a move, the tight, twisty nature of the track and the dirty air from Hamilton's McLaren playing their part in this. Ferrari were relying on Hamilton to make a mistake at some point, but the mistake didn't come as Hamilton further enhanced his glowing reputation with a superb faultless performance.

Alonso started to try and claw his way back up the field, but it was proving extremely difficult. He got past Robert Kubica early on but found himself bottled up behind Ralf Schumacher's Toyota. Ralf was having a good weekend and was clearly in no mood to be charitable. The World Champion was clearly frustrated and even ended up running wide off the circuit a couple of times, showing just how hard he was pushing. Alonso could not get past on the circuit and it wasn't until after the second pit stops that Alonso finally got some clear air for himself. Ahead of him both BMWs and Rosberg's Williams were gambling on 3 stop strategies which allowed Alonso to really make headway. Come the final stages of the race he was right on the gearbox of Nick Heidfeld and challenging for a podium, but he could not find a way through and had to settle for 4th. Difficult to say how much time he lost stuck behind Schumacher, but without that he would surely have been on for a podium finish. A frustrating day for Fernando Alonso.

Kubica, Schumacher, Rosberg and Kovalainen rounded out the points, all putting in very good performances. The BMW and Williams teams may regret putting their drivers on 3 stop strategies as they undoubtedly lost out, but then again hindsight is always 20x20. Jarno Trulli was sandwiched inbetween two Red Bulls in 10th place ahead of Fisichella and Massa. Fisichella had a poor weekend, being demoted on the grid yesterday afternoon, and he managed to come into contact with Davidson while exiting the pits which ruined the Super Aguri driver's day. A real tough break for the young Brit who was having probably his best race weekend to date up until that point. Felipe Massa had an absolute nightmare weekend. Somehow he managed to get the setup of his Ferrari completely wrong and was miles off the pace of his teammate in qualy and the race. He struggled all afternoon for nothing more than a dismal 13th place.

Next came Wurz and Sato, followed by Vettel who couldn't repeat his heroics from his F1 debut in Indianapolis. Remarkably in second last place was Adrian Sutil in the Spyker, managing to beat Rubens Barrichello's Honda fair and square. After scoring their first race victory in the modern era this time last year Honda leave Hungary with a dead last place for Rubens and an engine failure for Button. It's just staggering how far the team have managed to fall from grace despite their mammoth budget and decent driving talent.

So after all the controversy, public squabbling and wild media speculation within and around the McLaren team it was left down to Lewis Hamilton to do his talking on the track. He showed yet again that he is genuine championship material despite his inexperience with an absolutely perfect race. Fernando Alonso lost ground in the title race and will surely have lost a lot of respect from his peers and fans after his actions yesterday. There is no doubt he has all the ability to be a triple world champion, but at the moment there are question marks over his temperament. Lewis Hamilton is now back in the box seat for the championship with Raikkonen starting to close down on Alonso as they move on to Istanbul.

1. Hamilton
2. Raikkonen
3. Heidfeld
4. Alonso
5. Kubica
6. Schumacher
7. Rosberg
8. Kovalainen
9. Webber
10. Trulli
11. Coulthard
12. Fisichella
13. Massa
14. Wurz
15. Sato
16. Vettel
17. Sutil
18. Barrichello
ret Liuzzi
ret Davidson
ret Button
ret Yamamoto

Ferrer
08-05-2007, 07:23 AM
I don't understand why have Alonso (5 places down the grid) and McLaren (no manufacturers points) been penalised, since they didn't hamper anyones chances excepts themselves with the qualification incident.

I guess Ferrari asked FIA daddy to help them with McLaren bad boys in tyhe playgorund.

Defenitely F1 is boring, on and off the racetrack.

jediali
08-05-2007, 07:29 AM
I don't understand why have Alonso (5 places down the grid) and McLaren (no manufacturers points) been penalised, since they didn't hamper anyones chances excepts themselves with the qualification incident.

I guess Ferrari asked FIA daddy to help them with McLaren bad boys in tyhe playgorund.

only slight wheel contacts and scrappy cornering could raise it above boring. i guess hamilton's uninterupted lead without any real challenges made it more so. hmm shame to see jenson leave on engine problems again.

the politcal domination becoming more and more evident in F1 is at least as bad as it is in football (british particularly).

fisetdavid26
08-05-2007, 12:21 PM

Agreed. I watched it for 10 minutes, then I turned off the TV and went to sleep. Waking up at 7:30 AM on Sundays to watch such a boring and biased event is definitely not worth it. I used to though, and I liked it. But not anymore.

Kitdy
08-05-2007, 01:05 PM
The race proved too early for me as well; I fell asleep right after my alarm went off. Bah.

Lets Gekiga In
08-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Nah, I would attribute that bull shit to FIA wanting Hamilton to win so badly. FIA's decision certainly favored him quite well.

Quiggs
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Barring him from scoring points = favoritism? :confused:

Oh yea, and F1 sucks.

Lets Gekiga In
08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Barring him from scoring points = favoritism? :confused:

Oh yea, and F1 sucks.
You are indeed confused.

They barred McLaren from scoring constructor points. And to punish "the team" they put Alonso back in 6th and Hamilton in pole position. Hamilton won the race and still gained 10 points in the driver's championship. Pay closer attention next time.

Edit: And let's be honest, what driver even gives a shit about the constructor points? Drivers always care about the driver's championship first.

motorsportnerd
08-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Nah, I would attribute that bull shit to FIA wanting Hamilton to win so badly. FIA's decision certainly favored him quite well.

Yes, the FIA's decision did favour Hamilton quite well.
But whether it was favouritism is another matter. Depends on your view as to whether Alonso deliberately impeded another driver (Hamilton) by delaying his pit-stop for long enough to prevent that driver from making one last run in qualifying or not. And if Alonso did impede Hamilton was it cheating or brilliant strategy?
Of course, each person has a different view on this.
There is the factor that Hamilton himself ignored team instructions in qualifying, had a very heated argument with his boss and apparantly refused to talk to team members over the weekend. Hamilton himself has stated that he thought the team might have been trying to punish him for ignoring instructions by making him wait behind Alonso. autosport.com - F1 News: Hamilton says Alonso not talking to him (http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61412)
However, the article also notes that Lewis has reasons to think Alonso might deliberately block him.

Hamilton is certainly one of the culprits in this whole episode. Since the actions of both Hamilton and Alonso affected each other and their team, and did not affect any other team, I do feel that the stewards were very harsh with both Alonso's and the team's penalty. There would have been much more action on track if Hamilton and Alonso had started off the front row....
I'd imagine the team will now punish Hamilton in some way. My guess is that he will be stood down for the next test or two - thereby giving Alonso a bit of a leg up.

fpv_gtho
08-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Autosport are also claiming McLaren are yet to decide if they'll appeal the constructors points ban. I'd imagine they'd have a fairly strong case, banning constructors points would suggest they'd gained an advantage over another team, not themselves. The Alonso penalty wouldve been sufficient there.

Matra et Alpine
08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
The stewards and FIA may have decided it was "bringing the sport into disrepute" and so who gains or not is irrelevant :(

Ferrer
08-06-2007, 01:52 AM
The stewards and FIA may have decided it was "bringing the sport into disrepute" and so who gains or not is irrelevant :(
In other words, it was making F1 interesting so FIA had to make it boring again.

Wouter Melissen
08-06-2007, 02:10 AM
In other words, it was making F1 interesting so FIA had to make it boring again.

What Alonso did was childishly pathetic, and the stewards of the meeting were right to penalize him; you can't expect the team to strip their driver of a pole position. The team order ban is taken way too far though. It's a team sport for pete's sake.

Ferrer
08-06-2007, 02:41 AM
What Alonso did was childishly pathetic, and the stewards of the meeting were right to penalize him; you can't expect the team to strip their driver of a pole position. The team order ban is taken way too far though. It's a team sport for pete's sake.
I'm not saying that what Alonso did was right, however he did inject a bit of emotion into what otherwise would've been a completely predictable and dull race (which was due to the stewards penalty).

Wouter Melissen
08-06-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm not saying that what Alonso did was right, however he did inject a bit of emotion into what otherwise would've been a completely predictable and dull race (which was due to the stewards penalty).

I think he overtook two cars on the track? Woohoo!

Ferrer
08-06-2007, 02:48 AM
I think he overtook two cars on the track? Woohoo!
No, sorry I meant that with both McLarens in the front row maybe the GP would've been more interesting, as opposed to Alonso starting sixth.

Wouter Melissen
08-06-2007, 03:12 AM
No, sorry I meant that with both McLarens in the front row maybe the GP would've been more interesting, as opposed to Alonso starting sixth.

Alonso couldn't get by Ralf Schumacher, the idiot of the season, so why would you think he could have challenged Hamilton for one minute?

Ferrer
08-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Alonso couldn't get by Ralf Schumacher, the idiot of the season, so why would you think he could have challenged Hamilton for one minute?
He started on pole so most probably it would've been Hamilton challenging Alonso. But anyway, who cares.

Lets Gekiga In
08-06-2007, 04:47 AM
Isn't the Hungaroring a fairly difficult course to pass on?

Wouter Melissen
08-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Isn't the Hungaroring a fairly difficult course to pass on?

I saw some pretty impressive moves in the GP2 race there.

Lets Gekiga In
08-06-2007, 05:09 AM
I really need to start TiVoing those more often. I really love watching Bruno Senna drive.

JRodrigues
08-07-2007, 06:14 AM

Who did more than 2 passes?