PDA

View Full Version : Ayrton Senna - 10 years on.

jameswithington
04-23-2004, 10:51 AM
As I'm sure you all know this weekend's San Marino GP marks the 10th anniversary of the death of the great Ayrton Senna. All this week The Times newspaper in the UK has been running a series of feature articles to commemorate the man and his legacy. They are now all online and most are essential reading for any F1/Senna fan. There are articles from the likes of former champ Damon Hill, and many of the other articles feature interviews with fellow drivers and with the people who knew him best. There is also the first ever interview with Sir Frank Williams on the subject of Senna's death and his talents.

www.timesonline.co.uk/senna

Unfortunately I was fairly young at the time Senna raced, and it's a shame that my two abiding memories of him are his untimely death and his cynical move on Alain Prost at the first corner of the '90 Japanese GP which took both cars off and ended the title race there and then. I'm sure many of you have more fond memories of Senna, I only wish he would have stayed around longer for me to really remember his driving excellence and not just his notoriety.

DarkPhenix
04-23-2004, 11:03 AM
See the video of the accident:

ZerK
04-23-2004, 11:04 AM
It is a real shame that such an excellent driver as Ayrton Senna had to have such a violent, painful and tragic death.

In life unbeatable, in death irreplaceable.

May he rest in peace.

Cotterik
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM
This weekend's San Marino grand prix, the location of Ayrton Senna's fatal crash, may be the last as officials are concerned about the condition of the track and the fact that it has no room for safety modifications.
I think they should definitely keep the circuit because it is one of the most historical of all, with the Senna crash obviously being one of them, and the Scuderia-Ferrari base being just up the road. It has an atmosphere like no other when it comes to F1.

Damon Hill recently spoke of Senna's death to the times newspaper, saying that he blames Senna for his own death, stating:

"No one other than Ayrton Senna and me knows what it was like to drive that car, through that corner, in that race, on that day, on cold tyres.

"It was not the fault of anyone else that he kept his foot flat when he could have lifted, but Ayrton had to be this demigod "Senna", and "Senna" does not shrink from fear.

"He was identified with pushing to the limit and beyond. He would often prefer to crash into his opponent rather than be defeated.

"I am convinced that he made a mistake, but many people will never believe that he could. Why not? He made many mistakes in his career.

You don't have to do it. Ayrton did not have to do it. He had a choice on that Sunday and, incredibly sadly, he made the wrong one."

Homem de Gelo
04-23-2004, 02:37 PM
I really have no words to express my feelings. All I can say is that part of me was lost when he died.

Spastik_Roach
04-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Who knows how even better the Honda NSX would have been if he had stayed alive. I was very young back then (About 3) when he crashed so I do not know much about it him but he sounds like a truly legendary driver. Is he better than Shoemaker?

Ferrari Tifosi
04-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Yes a very sad event it was indeed. Senna was considered by many to be the great F1 driver ever! I can remember the '93 European GP, where he went from 4th place to 1st in one lap, in the rain, with slicks on! He will be missed.

Spastik_Roach
04-24-2004, 07:32 PM
Wowzers Bowzers! He must have unearthly control over a car!

Ferrari Tifosi
04-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Indeed he did Spastik!

Matra et Alpine
04-25-2004, 04:40 AM
Yes a very sad event it was indeed. Senna was considered by many to be the great F1 driver ever! I can remember the '93 European GP, where he went from 4th place to 1st in one lap, in the rain, with slicks on! He will be missed.
He lapped everyone except Hill and was close to that !
I think Senna was the only truely gifted driver with experience that season. A very young Schumacher started 3rd and spun out on 22nd lap
It would be a hard call to make between Schumacher and Senna on an equal day in the wet. I think Schumi would pip Senna as Ayrton was a little "too latin" in his temperament.

IBrake4Rainbows
04-25-2004, 04:55 AM
I was only a wee lad (6 or so) but i never found Formula 1 Interesting after he died. there seemed to be such life in his driving that even my tender young self could appreciate.

His shadow is cast over F1 today with their constant safety upgrades, i think most of these people are still in denial that it was just a freak accident, and are killing the sport in the pursuit of safety, so much so that the sport is being dumbed down.

He died doing what he loved, and his spirit lives on.

Also, interesting and spooky fact: Jensen Button, In a Honda, no less, Scored pole at Imola 10 years after the Accident. Someones smiling up there......

R.I.P Ayrton Senna.