PDA

View Full Version : General Photography Competition #103

netburner
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Congrats to illusionest for winning Comp #102
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/photography/250939d1187204964-general-photography-competition-102-droplet01.jpg

• The deadline is Saturday
• The photograph can contain ANY image (other than adulterous material). Automotive photography is to be entered in the appropriate competition.
• The proposed picture must be your own and not found on the net.
• The photograph must be attatched using the UCP system.
• Your image must be a resolution of 800x600 or lower. If it is not, your picture will not be in the voting thread.
• The photograph must be the original upload and not edited in any way other than mild adjustments in contrast and saturation, cropping and black & white conversions
• If any editing functions are made using in-camera options (e.g sepia) please state.
• The photograph must be taken no earlier then 6 months before start date
• Each photographer cannot vote for himself, they must vote for the others.
• Any users who enter and vote for themselves automatically recieve a 2 week penalty from the competition and all votes previously given to his/her photo are removed.
• The entry must contain the following information in the same order :

User name
Subject matter
Date taken
Camera type & name

Standings 2007:

illusionest: 6
-
Merrill: 3 / Speedy_2: 3 / SPHFerrari: 3
-
Black 300ZX: 2 / Sauc3: 2 / derekthetree: 2 / Piacki117: 2
-
My_Porsche: 1 / Esperante: 1 / smxi: 1 / shockwaveracing: 1 / Cotterik: 1 / Sledgehammer: 1 / 2ndclasscitizen / Leo_Ant: 1 / orne: 1 / RacingManiac: 1

drakkie
08-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Illusionest is not the winner. He cheated so he can't be.

Wouter Melissen
08-23-2007, 01:29 AM
Illusionest is not the winner. He cheated so he can't be.

You would know, wouldn't you. Being the in-house expert and all.

Gt1Street
08-23-2007, 01:36 AM

hahaha, i saw that one coming ;)

but all and all, it seems to be abit personal between you and drakkie...
lets keep it professional

P3RG4R3C
08-23-2007, 02:01 AM
pergarec
The eye.
A week ago.
Taken while sailing in Croatia.
Konica Minolta Z10
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251383&stc=1&d=1187859688

drakkie
08-23-2007, 02:13 AM

Just pointing out that everybody here should be treated the same. why should someone else be allowed to break the rules and I wouldn't be ?

And stop bringing up old cows, please. I apologised and everything. Let it go. What's your problem with me, since I stopped my premium membership ? You need the money so bad or something ? Well too bad for you, since I can barely afford my rent each month. In this way i wouldnt even want to give money to an arrogant bastard like you. I dont know if you are religious or not, but somewhere in the bible it says people should be able to forgive. Try it, it works !

I invite you (again) to have a beer somewhere with me, to end this stupid childish situation in a adult manner. Beer on me (if a reasonable amount), pub of your choice. Let me know.

drakkie
08-23-2007, 02:32 AM
Drakkie
German shitbox
8th of August 2007
Linstow, Germany
Fujica AX-3

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251385&stc=1&d=1187861446

This picture was scanned using some special scanner for negatives, available to my dad. Also slight noise filtering was applied there automatically. Beyond my control and everything, but I thought I should mention it here.

Wouter Melissen
08-23-2007, 02:39 AM
Just pointing out that everybody here should be treated the same. why should someone else be allowed to break the rules and I wouldn't be ?

And stop bringing up old cows, please. I apologised and everything. Let it go. What's your problem with me, since I stopped my premium membership ? You need the money so bad or something ? Well too bad for you, since I can barely afford my rent each month. In this way i wouldnt even want to give money to an arrogant bastard like you. I dont know if you are religious or not, but somewhere in the bible it says people should be able to forgive. Try it, it works !

I invite you (again) to have a beer somewhere with me, to end this stupid childish situation in a adult manner. Beer on me (if a reasonable amount), pub of your choice. Let me know.

We all know it's not your fault.

drakkie
08-23-2007, 02:54 AM
We all know it's not your fault.

It is and that has been made clear more than enough by now ! I apologised, isn't that enough ? What else can I do ?

After everything I find an apology from you more than time. You keep insulting me, time and time again, for no real reason except your personal dislike of me. Not everybody is as f**king perfect as you think you are.

If you have anything useful to say to me, do it in person. Don't be a coward hiding behind his computer.

Wouter Melissen
08-23-2007, 03:06 AM
It is and that has been made clear more than enough by now ! I apologised, isn't that enough ? What else can I do ?

After everything I find an apology from you more than time. You keep insulting me, time and time again, for no real reason except your personal dislike of me. Not everybody is as f**king perfect as you think you are.

If you have anything useful to say to me, do it in person. Don't be a coward hiding behind his computer.

Enough with the subtleties, because they are obviously too difficult for you to understand: You have very few skills, but evading the subject of your own failure is one of your finest. And you know chicks love guys with skills. Anyway you have entered shots which have been edited on many occasions, poorly edited I must add, because editing shots properly is not one skill you possess. Now this guy won this contest with a superb shot, but he made the mistake of adding a border, which strictly speaking is against the rules. Seeing as it is rather obvious that he added that border, it would be a little silly to call it cheating. Not for you though, cheater extra ordinaire. You need to underline that he has cheated. It is one of your many posts that are completely uncalled for. Yes making posts that are completely uncalled for is a skill that you do possess.

My advice to you is to think properly before you post; you really do not need to take part in every discussion and add your opinion. You probably are proud of your outspokenness, but it does make you one of the most obnoxious members on these forums.

Cyco
08-23-2007, 03:24 AM
I was under the impression that in-camera effects are allowed?

With my point and shoot camera I get a border if I like it or not...

LotusLocost
08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Drakkie
German shitbox
8th of August 2007
Linstow, Germany
Fujica AX-3

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251385&stc=1&d=1187861446

This picture was scanned using some special scanner for negatives, available to my dad. Also slight noise filtering was applied there automatically. Beyond my control and everything, but I thought I should mention it here.

Nice self-portrait drakkie.

Gt1Street
08-23-2007, 03:47 AM
I was under the impression that in-camera effects are allowed?

With my point and shoot camera I get a border if I like it or not...

never seen an SLR that can do that...

The eye.
A week ago.
Taken while sailing in Croatia.
Konica Minolta Z10

Can I add a little critisizm point that could have made this picture better ?

Gt1Street
08-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Drakkie
German shitbox
8th of August 2007
Linstow, Germany
Fujica AX-3

Im just not able to understand the sudden urge to photograph a toilet bowl, even if its in Germany, and even if its clean...

drakkie
08-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Im just not able to understand the sudden urge to photograph a toilet bowl, even if its in Germany, and even if its clean...

Haha don't ask :cool: I was planning to take a shot of the beautiful sunset outside of the window, when I saw this nice light fall. I dunno, i just clicked then. And the outcome is pretty decent to be honest, i like it !

drakkie
08-23-2007, 04:14 AM
You have very few skills, but evading the subject of your own failure is one of your finest. And you know chicks love guys with skills. Anyway you have entered shots which have been edited on many occasions, poorly edited I must add, because editing shots properly is not one skill you possess. Now this guy won this contest with a superb shot, but he made the mistake of adding a border, which strictly speaking is against the rules. Seeing as it is rather obvious that he added that border, it would be a little silly to call it cheating. Not for you though, cheater extra ordinaire. You need to underline that he has cheated. It is one of your many posts that are completely uncalled for. Yes making posts that are completely uncalled for is a skill that you do possess.

True, i am not a top photographer. But I like doing it and am trying to learn the deal slowly. In the past year or so you could have seen a big improvement in my pictures. Hey, i am still learning, i obviously did some things wrong.. Don't blame me for that, let me learn from it. Other people absolutely like the pictures, though they are nt photographers themselves mostly. So what ?

Show me one other picture I edited outside of the rules, except of the HDR-shot I once entered. And whatever definition you want to call it, it is still against the rules. Whether it is on purpose or not, it is still against the rules. The only right thing to do, to show this is an impartial competition is to make the 2nd placed guy the winner here.

Wouter Melissen
08-23-2007, 04:19 AM
True, i am not a top photographer. But I like doing it and am trying to learn the deal slowly. In the past year or so you could have seen a big improvement in my pictures. Hey, i am still learning, i obviously did some things wrong.. Don't blame me for that, let me learn from it. Other people absolutely like the pictures, though they are nt photographers themselves mostly. So what ?

Show me one other picture I edited outside of the rules, except of the HDR-shot I once entered. And whatever definition you want to call it, it is still against the rules. Whether it is on purpose or not, it is still against the rules. The only right thing to do, to show this is an impartial competition is to make the 2nd placed guy the winner here.

Thanks for missing the point.

jorismo
08-23-2007, 04:31 AM
jorismo
"Two Religions"
Kos City, Greece
July 2007
Fuji FinePix S5600

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251387&stc=1&d=1187868652

P3RG4R3C
08-23-2007, 04:48 AM
Can I add a little critisizm point that could have made this picture better ?

Sure, why not.

Gt1Street
08-23-2007, 05:18 AM
Sure, why not.

cool, well there are three actually....

1. you should have taken/cropped the picture so that there would have been no skin in the picture, since you want to create the effect of the sharpeness on the eye only
2. should have taken several attempts since its really hard to get the percise focus point on such close objects, because you missed a bit and got the eyelashes instead of the eye in perfect focus
3. use a more interesting background, it makes the picture more colorful and interesting without changing the main subject

IBrake4Rainbows
08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
I find it very interesting that the pot is calling the kettle black, as the old saying goes......

Lovely shot there Joris, kudos.

jorismo
08-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Lovely shot there Joris, kudos.

Thank you very much. Getting compliments from people over here is great. Makes me feel like I'm really improving :)

P3RG4R3C
08-23-2007, 06:23 AM
1. you should have taken/cropped the picture so that there would have been no skin in the picture, since you want to create the effect of the sharpeness on the eye only

I agree but I usually don't crop pictures because I thought it was illegal in these competitions. Anyway, I'll do that next time.

2. should have taken several attempts since its really hard to get the percise focus point on such close objects, because you missed a bit and got the eyelashes instead of the eye in perfect focus

I also agree on that but it's a bit hard to focus precisely when you're shooting your own eye :p

3. use a more interesting background, it makes the picture more colorful and interesting without changing the main subject

Yeah I could take the sea as a background but I way just experimenting so I didn't even notice the dull background.

Thanks for the advice. :)

illusionest
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Sorry if it caused so much trouble.
You should clarify the "no borders" thing in the rules for future reference.
Also, if they weren't allowed, 'you guys' should've told me in #100:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/photography/33761-general-photography-competition-100-voting.html
I had an big fat border around the wigs picture.

Borders are a very normal thing in presenting pictures. If they're not allowed, please mention that in the rules. sorry.

RacingManiac
08-23-2007, 10:16 AM
RacingManiac
"Another Bridge in Rotterdam"
Erasmus Bridge
July 17, 2007
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D + Minolta AF 20 F2.8

can someone tell me the name of the bridge....(eidt: Thanks henk4)

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251395&stc=1&d=1187889334

henk4
08-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Erasmus Bridge

RacingManiac
08-23-2007, 10:25 AM
thank you....:)

henk4
08-23-2007, 10:28 AM
thank you....:)
In case you plan to post the close by tower one day, it is called the Euromast:)

RacingManiac
08-23-2007, 10:59 AM
I actually didn't go to that tower...lol

LotusLocost
08-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Sorry if it caused so much trouble.
You should clarify the "no borders" thing in the rules for future reference.
Also, if they weren't allowed, 'you guys' should've told me in #100:
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/photography/33761-general-photography-competition-100-voting.html
I had an big fat border around the wigs picture.

Borders are a very normal thing in presenting pictures. If they're not allowed, please mention that in the rules. sorry.

I think it falls under this rule:

• The photograph must be the original upload and not edited in any way other than mild adjustments in contrast and saturation, cropping and black & white conversions

But I don't care for that little mistake.
It's a great photo nevertheless.

If I don't remember totally wrong it was stated in the rules earlier.

Leo_Ant
08-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Leo Ant
Old Castle
Yesterday
Nikon D40xhttp://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251400&stc=1&d=1187914761

SlickHolden
08-23-2007, 06:43 PM
SlickHolden.
My Nephew Studying the directions to his new car.
20/07/07 His 2nd B-Day
easyshare c350

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251459&stc=1&d=1187958531

drakkie
08-24-2007, 03:33 AM
RacingManiac
"Another Bridge in Rotterdam"
Erasmus Bridge
July 17, 2007
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D + Minolta AF 20 F2.8

can someone tell me the name of the bridge....(eidt: Thanks henk4)

Have you also been to the other side of the bridge ? The area there is IMO one of the best around the town for photography. Lots of interesting angles and stuff. Also been at the Euromast ? You must have seen the new-ish red-ish looking building with the sign of Hogeschool Rotterdam. That's where i spend 4/5 days in the week. I regularly chill out underneath the Euromast in lunch time :)

LotusLocost
08-24-2007, 04:39 AM
Normal conversation:

In case you plan to post the close by tower one day, it is called the Euromast:)

I actually didn't go to that tower...lol

Smart ass reply:

Have you also been to the other side of the bridge ? The area there is IMO one of the best around the town for photography. Lots of interesting angles and stuff. Also been at the Euromast ? You must have seen the new-ish red-ish looking building with the sign of Hogeschool Rotterdam. That's where i spend 4/5 days in the week. I regularly chill out underneath the Euromast in lunch time :)

READ --------> POST

You are one of the senior members by posts here, you should know better than posting before reading all the posts.

But hey, it was a good move to promote your boring life!

Waugh-terfall
08-24-2007, 06:13 AM
Waugh-terfall
Motorway Bridge in the Massif Central, France
2-8-07
Sony Cyber-shot DSC W90

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=251460&stc=1&d=1187961177

aiasib
08-24-2007, 06:56 AM
aiasib
'they bow down to nothing'
Aug.24.2007
Canon Powershot S1 IS

my porsche
08-24-2007, 07:33 AM
aiasib
'they bow down to nothing'
Aug.24.2007
Canon Powershot S1 IS

I like the idea that you're somewhat treating the incense pieces like people. Kind of a cool idea.

orne
08-24-2007, 05:47 PM
orne
White Dove
2007/08/21
Sony DSC-P200

Cotterik
08-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Cotterik
"Those Bloody Students"
College Results Day
August 16th
Nikon D80

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/photography/251508d1188005868-general-photography-competition-103-c2.jpg

drakkie
08-25-2007, 03:24 AM
Normal conversation:

Smart ass reply:

READ --------> POST

You are one of the senior members by posts here, you should know better than posting before reading all the posts.

But hey, it was a good move to promote your boring life!

lol. Sorry mate. I overlooked it...

Merrill
08-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Merrill
Golf ball rolling in the hole
22/8/07
Canon EOS 30D

my porsche
08-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Cotterik
"Those Bloody Students"
College Results Day
August 16th
Nikon D80

Damn sweet unibrow.

cmcpokey
08-25-2007, 08:56 AM
cmcpokey
straightaway
outside of jacksonville, fl
August 18, 2007
nikon d80

aiasib
08-25-2007, 10:01 AM
I like the idea that you're somewhat treating the incense pieces like people. Kind of a cool idea.

thanks myporsche! getting positive comments on my ideas is almost as cool as winning the comp, its cheesy but its true. Next week's entry will be the final (or will it?) part of the trilogy, which began with last week's piece sacrificial altar pic.

stay tuned

Ingolstadt
08-26-2007, 08:49 AM
title-ing the photograhp taken is also part of the skills in photography in total IMO. good one ajasib - like it loads.

and drakkie... i felt sorry for you but its not baseless in anyway... hope you get better luck in engaging conversations. and NO, illusionest is not cheating and by all means that is a superb shot.

robcooper
08-26-2007, 05:39 PM
robcooper
'Green'
Angouleme, France
July 2007
FujiFilm FinePix S5500

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f172/db9volante99/EDIT1.jpg

cmcpokey
08-26-2007, 06:40 PM
umm, a bit late... the new comps will likely be up tomorrow, so it can be re-posted in there.

Waugh-terfall
08-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Rob, when was it you were in Angouleme? I was there on the 15th, my house is about 45mins further south from there

drakkie
08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Rob, when was it you were in Angouleme? I was there on the 15th, my house is about 45mins further south from there

Cool ! I remember a childhood vacation there very well. I stayed in a town near Angouleme iirc, called Mont-Bron or something similar.. Do you know it ? Been in Angouleme a couple of times iirc.

Waugh-terfall
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Yeah, Montbron. Seen signs to it, but never actually been there. We drive through Angouleme every year on the way back to Calais/Boulogne, we don't much like it, it's sooo easy to get lost in. Thank god for satnav!