PDA

View Full Version : Diesel at LeMans 24 Hours

henk4
04-24-2004, 03:02 AM
Fresh from the circuit comes the message from our UCP roving reporter that during the qualification tests this weekend for the 24 hours of LeMans a new Lola will be presented, fitted with a V10 Caterpillar diesel engine. Revving to 4500 only but with oceans of torque and a much better fuel economy this thing may have a chance. The same team is also running a 5litre V10 Judd engine in a second Lola.

Spastik_Roach
04-24-2004, 03:22 AM
Oh man i'd love to see that beat every other car on the track! Oh that would be classic!

DasModell
04-24-2004, 11:46 AM
credits:Simon Dawson

DIESEL PROJECT OVERVIEW:
Taurus has developed the first Diesel engine sportscar entered in the 2004 Le Mans 24 hr race under the revised regulations.

The chassis being used is the Lola B2K/10B, which Taurus campaigned successfully during 2003. Lola based in Huntingdon is still today one of the largest racing car manufacturer in the world.

Engine development and in particular Diesel technology is in the hand of the Caterpillar/Perkins Group based in Peterbourgh.

The donor diesel engine is a 5.0-liter twin turbocharged 90 deg V10 now producing in the region of 500 bhp with 950 n/m torque. This is the first phase of what is seen as a long-term development program, which is taking cautious, steps in producing a respectable and reliable large capacity competition diesel power plant for the future.

Race engine assembly is being handled by Mountune in Essex whom have a wealth of experience over many years with Turbo Charged engines.

Caterpillar electronics and engine management systems have been supported by a business and technical alliance with the Cambridge based company PI Research.

The various eastern region companies listed have all worked closely together generating a true business link by supplying components and technical know how to achieve the completed racing vehicle ahead of other major global car manufacturers whom have been evaluating the building of such a competition vehicle.

With the involvement of the many other attached companies this has been a 75% British built program, which Taurus as a small company has been able to attract an impressive list of major partners in a unique collaborative long-term program.

Our first goal was to be the first in testing a diesel powered sportscar.
Then to be the first to be racing in the famous Le Mans 24-hour race in June 2004.
We aim to take one car to race in North America in August and again be the first to race a diesel on that continent.

Longer term we see a growing global interest in diesel powered cars showcasing the technology along side the development of fuel supplier’s future products.

Taurus has a goal to be working with a car manufacturer in the production of a new racing vehicle partnering with our current partners as leaders in the global market of alternative fuels, which are now readily available to the public.

At present Taurus has been responsible for 100% of the initiative and 75% of the funding to bring this groundbreaking program to fruition.

We see this as a growing company taking the lead in developing a true technology program integrating the skills available within the area UK and internationally as a whole.

DasModell
04-24-2004, 12:07 PM
from what i heard the Judd/Ricardo Diesel is not apearing this year ... :(

henk4
04-24-2004, 12:47 PM
from what i heard the Judd/Ricardo Diesel is not apearing this year ... :(

Is that yet another diesel powered car?
As I said I got very first hand info that the Lola Taurus is in LeMans right now. ;) , but the reporter was not allowed close to the car. It was only stationary today as actual qualifying will be tomorrow.

By the way, Cummins diesel propulsion was used sometime during the fifties (or the sixties) at the Indy 500 so Taurus is not the first to race diesels on that continent. You have already pointed at for instance the Golf GTD in the Nurburgring 24 hours so they are also not the first in Europe, but I think it is a very laudable initiative. May be the new F1 regulations could stipulate diesel propulsion.

Matra et Alpine
04-24-2004, 01:20 PM
May be the new F1 regulations could stipulate diesel propulsion.

Sorry but this just conjured up a picture of a pit stop and the fuelling team wearing those awful fitting, polythene gloves you get in garages to keep the diesel off your hands :) :)

henk4
04-24-2004, 01:31 PM
Sorry but this just conjured up a picture of a pit stop and the fuelling team wearing those awful fitting, polythene gloves you get in garages to keep the diesel off your hands :) :)

Nice try, but the diesel engine will be so fuel efficient that you don't need to refuel :)
Furthermore we will in future be deprived of the sight or cars catching fire in the pits just ask good old Jos Verstappen, so that's a disadvantage ;)

Ferrari Tifosi
04-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Poor Jas, that was a horrible fire. However, there were times in F1 when refueling wasn't allowed, so its not a far shot in the future. Especially with the news that tire changing will go in a few years.

Matra et Alpine
04-24-2004, 02:22 PM
Nice try, but the diesel engine will be so fuel efficient that you don't need to refuel :)
Furthermore we will in future be deprived of the sight or cars catching fire in the pits just ask good old Jos Verstappen, so that's a disadvantage ;)
Yep, but just iamgine a fuel spill and diesel getting on the tires - it will lead to carnage at the first corner after pit exit !! ( Biker speak with first hand experience :( )

henk4
04-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Yep, but just iamgine a fuel spill and diesel getting on the tires - it will lead to carnage at the first corner after pit exit !! ( Biker speak with first hand experience :( )

True, but with no refuelling no fuel spill. I also think part of the general public would not mind such a carnage to enliven what are normally now quite boring races.

whiteballz
04-25-2004, 12:35 AM
now thats a horrible thing to say henk! think of the driver here!!! i like the sound of actual excitement in F1, but thats no reason to want a driver to crash for entertainment!

henk4
04-25-2004, 12:45 AM
now thats a horrible thing to say henk! think of the driver here!!! i like the sound of actual excitement in F1, but thats no reason to want a driver to crash for entertainment!

I don't consider myself belonging to that part of the general public.

Wouter Melissen
04-26-2004, 02:33 AM
It smelt pretty bad, smoked like a truck and was seconds off the pace. The Judd was definitly faster and sounded a lot better. I have seen the engine now, but no info yet about the origin of it, but probably VW is the source.

Falcon500
04-26-2004, 05:58 AM
Thats half the fun of raceing...crashes...and they are all good fun to whatch providing no one is hurt....

motorsportnerd
04-26-2004, 06:50 AM
You have already pointed at for instance the Golf GTD in the Nurburgring 24 hours so they are also not the first in Europe, but I think it is a very laudable initiative. May be the new F1 regulations could stipulate diesel propulsion.

Just a reminder that the 1997 Nurburgring 24 hour race was won by a diesel power car. A BMW 320 Super Tourer fitted with a turbo diesel engine was the winning car that year. I believe it was the first win by a diesel car in a major motorsport event (not counting wins in more minor touring car events by BMW/VW turbodiesels).

DasModell
04-26-2004, 06:57 AM
Is that yet another diesel powered car?
As I said I got very first hand info that the Lola Taurus is in LeMans right now. ;) , but the reporter was not allowed close to the car. It was only stationary today as actual qualifying will be tomorrow.

By the way, Cummins diesel propulsion was used sometime during the fifties (or the sixties) at the Indy 500 so Taurus is not the first to race diesels on that continent. You have already pointed at for instance the Golf GTD in the Nurburgring 24 hours so they are also not the first in Europe, but I think it is a very laudable initiative. May be the new F1 regulations could stipulate diesel propulsion.

yes . it's another Diesel . Judd is rumoured to work with Ricardo(gearbox to support the huge torque) to build a V10 Diesel ..
Diesel in F1 . they won;t allow Turbo in F1 . :)

henk4
04-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Diesel in F1 . they won;t allow Turbo in F1 . :)

Well if the mantra that F1 is stimulating development of every day technology is still valid, than FIA has every reason to allow diesel, and a turbo with that as well.

DasModell
04-26-2004, 07:30 AM
well .. the ACO Diesel Engine as far as I know for the moment have a weight penalty . cause they don't know how it will perform . in F1 they would need to get the regs very good from the begining . they can't afford to make it to blow the petrol or vice-versa .. too slow ..

henk4
04-26-2004, 07:39 AM
in F1 they would need to get the regs very good from the begining . they can't afford to make it to blow the petrol or vice-versa .. too slow ..

My suggestion would be to ban petrol engines altogether :D

DasModell
04-26-2004, 08:03 AM
lol .. you made me laugh :) :) :D :D :D

Coventrysucks
04-28-2004, 07:42 AM
A pic of the Ricardo - Judd V10
Based loosely on the Judd GV5 72 deg. V10
5.0l
600hp
626 lb ft (445 for petrol) :eek:
max revs possibly at about 8000rpm
+ 15% better fuel economy

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RicardoJuddDiesel.jpg :)

Edited for more/better specs.

henk4
04-28-2004, 07:51 AM
A pic of the Ricardo - Judd V10
4.6l
600hp
627 lb ft

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/RicardoJuddDiesel.jpg :)

Compares favourably to the Taurus (5 litre,500 BHP) but those latter figures could have been conservative. Who is behind "Ricardo"??

Coventrysucks
04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Ricardo Engineering:
www.ricardo.com

They are the company who are building the 7 speed gearbox for the Bugatti Veryunlikely, and in true British style, they have made a hash job of it = further delays for Bugatti

:)

DasModell
04-30-2004, 03:23 AM
the Judd figures are higher then the Taurus .. but the Judd one is not running :) ..