PDA

View Full Version : Talk about Freedom of Speech!?!?

MRR
09-15-2007, 02:01 PM
BBC NEWS | Middle East | Bounty set over Prophet cartoon (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6996553.stm)

$100000 bounty on the head of a man who simply drew a cartoon. I hope they can keep him alive.

jediali
09-15-2007, 03:10 PM
Dont start Islam vs freedom of speech....its a bad subject

Quiggs
09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/twoflower/pic/0002e4dt/s640x480

coolieman1220
09-15-2007, 03:43 PM
i've had my say about this one before.....

its freedom of speech, he can do and say what he wants but if people are willing to commit a crime to punish his actions of slander against them then who is to stop them? especially a terrorist group.

Cotterik
09-15-2007, 04:06 PM
what i want to know is.. where did the al'queda get all their money from?

They need to get with the modern times. This is 2007 AC not BC.. If gods are all powerful and demand highest profile among all beings on earth then they need to show themselves and give themselves a face. Who can blame the cartoonist? There are countless points to all religions that make hilarious cartoons :rolleyes: just check out explosm.net :p

jediali
09-15-2007, 04:36 PM

They need to get with the modern times. This is 2007 AC not BC.. If gods are all powerful and demand highest profile among all beings on earth then they need to show themselves and give themselves a face. Who can blame the cartoonist? There are countless points to all religions that make hilarious cartoons :rolleyes: just check out explosm.net :p

Islam is a very traditionalist and ceremonial religion. Do you think they where garmants like that for modern climate. Its actually more dynamic politically in islamic states. Im going to shut up now, im geting deja vu.

MadMax13
09-15-2007, 11:58 PM
Too bad for him, all i say is its ALSO youre right to freedom of speech to walk into Jamaica Queens screaming "nigger", it doesnt mean you are going to walk out, but its your right to freedom of speech...

drakkie
09-16-2007, 02:33 AM

It starts with United States and ends with America.. :rolleyes:

In the Russian Afghan war they gave money and everything to let the mujahideen or whatever it is written, get organized and rebel against the Russian. When the US then dropped them like a brick after the war, they got pissed off as one can imagine. Without these mistakes thousands of lives could have been saved in the last few years. :o

drakkie
09-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Too bad for him, all i say is its ALSO youre right to freedom of speech to walk into Jamaica Queens screaming "nigger", it doesnt mean you are going to walk out, but its your right to freedom of speech...

Perhaps if you strictly keep yourself to the law. Here in the Netherlands we also have a law one may not discriminate or offend someone on purpose. The Court will make a decision as to what is tolerable. Don't be surprised if you get arrested.

IWantAnAudiRS6
09-16-2007, 02:42 AM
I hope he gets put on a protection programme. To think a life is worth just $100,000 is quite something... human life is priceless.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=254304&stc=1&d=1189935717

It's just that old chestnut again.

Ferrer
09-16-2007, 04:37 AM
Islam is a very traditionalist and ceremonial religion. Do you think they where garmants like that for modern climate. Its actually more dynamic politically in islamic states. Im going to shut up now, im geting deja vu.
Exactly, that's probably going to end badly...

silverhawk
09-16-2007, 08:40 AM
the thing is that newspaper cartoon are supposed to be funny. putting the Prophet's head on a dog's body is not humourous.

Ingolstadt
09-16-2007, 09:19 AM
It's just inferiority complex.

If the Muslims had all the world's money, all the world's resources, had their own Mollywood and Muniversal Studios, those 'stupid' westerners drawing their prophets will just get :"ah.... those jackasses...."

And when Muniversal Studios had a movie depicting christ in their views... those 'stupid' westerners will just go on a strike....

Check the history, every single such 'problems' will get solved once the other party was about on the same par.

UK had their Trafalga square and the French had their Arc D Triumph... did any other European countries make a big hoohaa when people visit there?

MadMax13
09-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Its simple, every action has an equal or opposite reaction. You can do whatever you want, however you have to suffer the consequences of those actions...

dydzi
09-16-2007, 10:12 AM
get the picture - to muslims that picture in such a popular newspaper is like being kicked in your crotch. it's like i'd kick you and say - "hey, everybody can kick where they want, right? i don't understand your irritation"...

drakkie
09-16-2007, 10:30 AM
get the picture - to muslims that picture in such a popular newspaper is like being kicked in your crotch. it's like i'd kick you and say - "hey, everybody can kick where they want, right? i don't understand your irritation"...

True, but it is also a bit of an overreaction. If it would display the head of Jesus instead of Muhammed it would be another case. They dont like it, but they wont have reacted this fierce, I guess.

Offcourse these kind of things are always used in the propaganda war from certain leaders in the muslim world... I have seen the cartoons and they are not funny at all, not even nice. I can imagine their disgruntlement, but it should have stayed at that. This just creates a bigger gap between the western and eastern "worlds"...

Mr.Tiv
09-16-2007, 11:09 AM

In the Russian Afghan war they gave money and everything to let the mujahideen or whatever it is written, get organized and rebel against the Russian. When the US then dropped them like a brick after the war, they got pissed off as one can imagine. Without these mistakes thousands of lives could have been saved in the last few years. :o

Holy Shit! Your hindsight is like 20 20. Amazing. :rolleyes:

drakkie
09-16-2007, 01:11 PM

I'm sorry, but what is the meaning of hindsight ? What do you mean with this message ? I dont understand...

Or maybe i should drink less...

The_Canuck
09-16-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry, but what is the meaning of hindsight ? What do you mean with this message ? I dont understand...

Or maybe i should drink less...

Ability to look back on your life. Or history in general.

drakkie
09-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Ability to look back on your life. Or history in general.

Thank you. The phrase is true... One does learn something every day :)

SlickHolden
09-16-2007, 02:57 PM
Freedom of speech is like an honest politician, It's Just a myth!.

Kitdy
09-16-2007, 03:02 PM

I think that the point is that one should not willy nilly go about funding armed groups across the globe as the United States has done in its past.

kigango123
09-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Religion is humanity's unsatiable wife, she feels good in the short term, but we will never be satisfied because of freedoms she has robbed us

MadMax13
09-16-2007, 04:57 PM
If something like this happened in the US you would have Christians reacting the same way, and i can defend that argument with the simple story of the soldier that blew the whistle on Abu Ghraib, Rumsfeld knowingly gave him up, which he wasnt supposed to do, and he subsequently had to leave his life long home and a bunch of other shit because he was getting death threats from the people in his town...

kingofthering
09-16-2007, 05:26 PM

But.. to play the devil's advocate, the Soviet Union might have won and we would still go nuts about the Russians.

Anyway... it's good to see some maturity in this thread.

With that said and done, it's easy to see why they hate this so much. It's like having cartoons of Jesus having sex with another man. It's offensive towards them and certain Islamic peoples feel that violence is justified , based on their subjective interpretations of their holy book.

But does this justify murder? No, it does not, since it only increases the fear and hatred towards Muslims as more and more people associate them with violence and murder.

kingofthering
09-16-2007, 08:20 PM

And with hindsight, we have hindsight bias...so... no shit Sherlock. If you somehow predicted this 20 years ago... that would be different.

kinda irrelevent, but I've always wanted to use this in a sentence.