PDA

View Full Version : Inspection sticker...

my porsche
09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Well my inspection sticker is out of date, and I know for a fact my driver's side window tint is just barely illegal (18%, legal is 35%)...sooooo...how do I go about getting an inspection?

Leave the window down?

Go to an inspection place in the hood?

Niko_Fx
09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
What kind of "inspection" is that? *scratches head*

Quiggs
09-19-2007, 06:38 PM
Leave a $20 bill in the cupholder.

my porsche
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
You guys don't have state inspection stickers on your cars?

baddabang
09-19-2007, 06:46 PM
Florida Doesn't have them.

Just leave it up, if they say anything take it to another place.

BTW your supposed to renew it BEFORE it runs out. Noob.

Quiggs
09-19-2007, 06:48 PM
Not only do I have to get inspected, I have to endure emissions testing yearly. I have no idea how I'm getting through this year. Gonna have to drop some bills.

my porsche
09-19-2007, 06:49 PM
I didn't even know when it expired then I checked and it was last month...oops.

Some of the guys on the GM forum said just take the glass out...might be what I end up doing.

kingofthering
09-19-2007, 06:52 PM
myporsche, do what Quiggs does. Them lights + lowering ain't legal.

cmcpokey
09-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Florida is great.. you could push it to the DMV, but as long as there is a VIN, then they will give you tags. Thats why we have so many grey market imports here. I've seen several Skylines here, including one about 1/4 mile from my house. If I can swing going to Europe for my next tour, then get a car while I am over there, I may bring it back to Fl so I can do it semi-legally.

Quiggs
09-19-2007, 06:54 PM
I used to disconnect the rallye grill from B+ before I dropped the car off. One year I forgot and the guy ended up "disabling them" for me. He broke the ****ing contacts at the lights. Nim. Rod.

my porsche
09-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Nim. Rod.

Beat. Ass.

coolieman1220
09-19-2007, 07:11 PM
in NY we have a two stickers on the drivers windsheild with inspection and registration. the registration is nice because it tell you the cars year and model in case you didn't know or wanted to know. the year is nice. we have to get our cars inspected emissions and all every year

johnnynumfiv
09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
I didn't even know when it expired then I checked and it was last month...oops.

Some of the guys on the GM forum said just take the glass out...might be what I end up doing.

Have fun doing that. If there is no glass will it still pass inspection?

my porsche
09-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Have fun doing that. If there is no glass will it still pass inspection?

Yeah you can have no glass here in good ol' TX.

Timothy (in VA)
09-19-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, when I used to work at an auto parts store, one of the managers was a rather shady character. He had a heavily modified 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 with heavily tinted windows and nitrous (among other things). There was no way that beast would pass inspection (in Virginia there are two inspections: safety and emissions). So what he did was get his inspection stickers from the same guy who filled up his nitrous. Apparently the guy took the stickers off his own car and stuck them on the Mustang (and then I guess he got his own car reinspected (I assume there was money involved (probably less than the fine for driving without proper inspection stickers))(I admit, I never asked for the whole story)).

Anyway, this is certainly illegal. So don't do it.

Turbo.Jenkens
09-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Take the windows out. If they give you hell about it tell them your AC is broken. At worst you'll have a good story to tell.

Sounds like the 21st century must suck. We don't have emissions test or any type of inspection where i live. I didn't even have to take my car with me to get it registered.

Sledgehammer
09-19-2007, 10:33 PM
improper plate/registration renual your looking at a max of around 300 bucks,

Clivey
09-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Well my inspection sticker is out of date, and I know for a fact my driver's side window tint is just barely illegal (18%, legal is 35%)...sooooo...how do I go about getting an inspection?

Leave the window down?

Go to an inspection place in the hood?

Better idea. Take the f*cking tint off. 18%? That's absolutely stupid; surely you can't be that ugly...?:eek:

There is a minimum amount for a reason...and for once it's nothing to do with enviro-bollocks. If some chav ran into me because he couldn't see through his spliff smoke or tinted windows, I'd stub his cigarette out in his eye socket.
Try explaining the tints to the mother of the kid you end-up running over - you won't have a leg to stand on.

blackcat77
09-19-2007, 11:29 PM
We had inspections here in Indiana about 30 years ago but it was a complete joke and everybody knew it so finally the legislature acknowledged reality and repealed it. And there's been no attempt to revive it since.

Rockefella
09-20-2007, 12:31 AM
Better idea. Take the f*cking tint off. 18%? That's absolutely stupid; surely you can't be that ugly...?:eek:

There is a minimum amount for a reason...and for once it's nothing to do with enviro-bollocks. If some chav ran into me because he couldn't see through his spliff smoke or tinted windows, I'd stub his cigarette out in his eye socket.
Try explaining the tints to the mother of the kid you end-up running over - you won't have a leg to stand on.

A harsh way of saying 18% tint is dangerous..

Cyco
09-20-2007, 06:22 AM
That would be side window tint Clivey, not front.

Where you have more light a dark tint isn't a problem.

I have driven cars with side windows at 15% and I find they are easy to see out of - so long as they are clean. They visibility tends to be more affected by dirt than less tinted, so when I drive cars like that I just seem like I have OCD about clean windows :D

Bob
09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Not only do I have to get inspected, I have to endure emissions testing yearly. I have no idea how I'm getting through this year. Gonna have to drop some bills.Seriously? I always figured little four bangers pass inspection no problem. I don't have any trouble with emissions... and I have 305 ci.

Quiggs
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I have a dead oxygen sensor. And probably a bad cat.

cmcpokey
09-20-2007, 04:18 PM
i have a bad cat too... but i just smack her on her nose.

my porsche
09-20-2007, 04:26 PM

Wee, I don't know if you've ever been in a car, but there's this incredible thing called one-directional light blocking. It means that if you stand there looking at how "****ing stupid" my tint is, you can't see me inside, but I can see you perfectly, even at night.

It's amazing really.

I had a feeling this would be a bad place to post that I have window tint. Despit the fact that it's ****ing hot here, and I don't like people looking at me.

Oh, hey Clivey, I have 4% on all my back windows!

The_Canuck
09-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Wee, I don't know if you've ever been in a car, but there's this incredible thing called one-directional light blocking. It means that if you stand there looking at how "****ing stupid" my tint is, you can't see me inside, but I can see you perfectly, even at night.

It's amazing really.

No not really, now people can't see YOU which believe it or not, is a bit of a problem.

my porsche
09-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Meh, I typically always drive with my windows down unless its raining, it's mainly that dark to keep heat out while the truck is sitting, plus it gives it a clean look.

Cyco
09-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Another advantage of dark tint is that combined with a sun reflector at the windscreen and a dark interior no-one can look inside the car for stuff to steal when its parked.

baddabang
09-20-2007, 05:02 PM
Limo tint FTW.

If you disagree you fail.

johnnynumfiv
09-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Limo tint FTW.

If you disagree you fail.

I run limo tint on my back window. :cool:
Sometimes you can barely see low beams at night through it.:)

my porsche
09-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Another advantage of dark tint is that combined with a sun reflector at the windscreen and a dark interior no-one can look inside the car for stuff to steal when its parked.

Yeah, and since my subwoofer alone was $275, I'd like to keep as little stuff in there visible as possible. Ipod, my Oaks, Sub, head unit, amp etc.

And pat, my rears are a little under limo.

my porsche
09-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Ok so basically that was a pain in the ass, although anticipated since I knowingly had darker tint than was allowed.

Go with windows rolled down to get inspection. Get all the way through and the LAST thing they check is windows. So it takes them 30 mins to tell me I fail. So I go out to eat with some friends, one of which says to go to ____ place that let my other friend pass without even having insurance, so I try there, and they tell me immediately I'll fail because of the windows. So apparently not having insurance is less important than having dark window tint.

Go home, peel the tint off, go back, get my damn sticker, and go right back to the shop and have them clean the glue off and put new tint back on.

All in all a pain in the ass, thankfully this is only once every 6 months...

Quiggs
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Why don't you just get ****ing legal tint?

my porsche
09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Because legal tint here is 35% and its almost not even worth tint for that amount...it doesn't keep any heat out and barely looks any different than non-tinted glass.

jcp123
09-26-2007, 12:49 PM

Neither did California. One of the few things the CA DMV did right.

I'd say you should find a shop that just doesn't care. Some are more stringent than others; I know for a fact that the one we go to is a bit more on the lax side, and we were referred to it by our insurance agent at that...maybe you know someone locally who knows a "good" shop?

Clivey
09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
That would be side window tint Clivey, not front.

As in front side (driver's door), or rear side (rear passenger's door)?

Where you have more light a dark tint isn't a problem.

What do you mean by this?

If you're implying that in Australia and the U.S. you / they "have more light" than Brits you have a strange concept of the world as it still has to get dark at some time, no matter where you are...

I have driven cars with side windows at 15% and I find they are easy to see out of - so long as they are clean. They visibility tends to be more affected by dirt than less tinted, so when I drive cars like that I just seem like I have OCD about clean windows

Here in the U.K. it is illegal to tint the front windscreen and/or the windows in the front doors. That's for a good reason - so that even at night with rain / some road dirt on the windows, you can see and can therefore drive properly. If you tint those windows, you're asking for trouble.

-----------

Well TBH that sounds good but every time I've seen a car with tinted front/side windows, the tint's been of the "visibility reducing" sort. - the sort that makes me think the owner is an irresponsible dick with no right to be on the road.

If you have "good" tints that allow you to see normally then most of what is written below doesn't apply to you!

I'm fed-up of paying (insurance-wise mostly) extra for being a young driver when it's nearly always the chavs and the like causing the trouble due to their showing-off, poor driving and badly modified / maintained cars. I hope you can understand my position and stance on this one.

I had a feeling this would be a bad place to post that I have window tint. Despit the fact that it's ****ing hot here, and I don't like people looking at me.

Well if you're that paranoid about people "looking at you", you should seek professional advice. Either that or they're looking at you because you're acting like a n00b in the first place (being too conspicuous and driving like a chav). With regards to the heat - You have AC and your windows wind down. Use them.

Oh, hey Clivey, I have 4% on all my back windows!

A van driver has 100%!!! I have no problem whatsoever with that. Van drivers can see where they're going during normal driving and just have to be extra careful when reversing (although admittedly the way some of them drive you wouldn't think so...).

my porsche
09-26-2007, 05:22 PM
With regards to the heat - You have AC and your windows wind down. Use them.

A van driver has 100%!!! I have no problem whatsoever with that. Van drivers can see where they're going during normal driving and just have to be extra careful when reversing (although admittedly the way some of them drive you wouldn't think so...).

That would actually be 0% tint. :p

And the heat...rolled down windows and a/c do me no good when the truck is parked.

Either way, it looks good, I can see out perfectly and hasn't affected my driving at all. This is the same percent film as last time, yet it looks lighter...oh well.

/thread.

my porsche
09-26-2007, 05:23 PM
I'd say you should find a shop that just doesn't care. Some are more stringent than others; I know for a fact that the one we go to is a bit more on the lax side, and we were referred to it by our insurance agent at that...maybe you know someone locally who knows a "good" shop?

Tried that, read update post.

Clivey
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
That would actually be 0% tint. :p

Hang on...isn't completely clear glass 0% tint and completely black tint (letting no light through) 100%? Or have I got it the wrong way around?

And the heat...rolled down windows and a/c do me no good when the truck is parked.

Either way, it looks good, I can see out perfectly and hasn't affected my driving at all. This is the same percent film as last time, yet it looks lighter...oh well.

Well, so long as it's safe I don't have any objection to it. It's the "boy racers" and chavs driving Fiestas (Civics and the like in the U.S.) with windows so screwed-up that they can't see out of them that make my blood boil - because they're the twats that end-up causing grief and raising everyone's insurance premiums...so yeah. /thread as far as I'm concerned.

No hard feelings? :)

my porsche
09-27-2007, 05:15 PM
it's measured as percent of light that passes through, not percent that is blocked.

Waugh-terfall
09-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Jesus Clive, come to my college when it finishes at 4:15pm... They all queue up at the end of the drive and then it's tire scrubbing comps all the way down Holloway Hill... There's one chav, Daddy obviously bought him a new Fiesta Style 1.4, the 57registration only came out on Sept 1st, yet on Sept 15th he was sitting in the carpark revving the nuts of this poor Ford whilst yelling 'I be pimpin' nigga!! Fo shizzle' out of his windows with his mates whilst blasting out 50cent cRap. There's no way he could have run that car in in just 15days being a student...