PDA

View Full Version : how many racing car types are there?

teatako
09-24-2007, 09:06 PM
theres really only 4 right?
sports racer, formula,converted street car & tube frame sedan.

am i forgetting one? or many?

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:22 PM
I think you are simplifying a little.

"Open wheel single seater" might by one generic type
"Sports Cars (GT)" derived from road going two seaters
"Prototypes two seaters" not based on any existing car
"Touring cars" anything based on common production shells but with many variants, including Rallye Cars or even NASCAR

might sum it up a little better,

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:28 PM
are you considering prototypes lmp? Do all LMP need to be two seaters? And if not, theirs one more for the list.

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
are you considering prototypes lmp? Do all LMP need to be two seaters? And if not, theirs one more for the list.

in theory they need to be two-seaters....I hate the thought of me having to be a passenger there though....unless you have a very close and personal relationship with the driver

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Well theirs also Drag Racing, and a ton of smaller car/ish racing. One example of it is lawn mower racing, and the modified go-kart racing (cant remember the name).

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Well theirs also Drag Racing, and a ton of smaller car/ish racing. One example of it is lawn mower racing, and the modified go-kart racing (cant remember the name).

Drag racing is open wheel......just as go karts....

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:35 PM
in theory they need to be two-seaters....I hate the thought of me having to be a passenger there though....unless you have a very close and personal relationship with the driver

Unless the rules changed in the mid to late 90's (probable), their are a few LMP cars that do not fit passengers, even if they were jockey's. Such as the F333.

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
Drag racing is open wheel......just as go karts....

Funny Car?

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Funny Car?

let's keep it serious:)
anyway, LPM cars have now two hoops, looking like a double rollbar, indicating the car being a two seater...

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Well their are others like formula offroad.

see pic

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Well their are others like formula offroad.

see pic

open wheel, in my definition....if you really want to add something you can use Truck racing....

Zytek_Fan
09-24-2007, 09:47 PM
An LMP could theoretically fit a passenger. The Peugeot 908 is an exception though. It barely fits the driver :p (anyone see how much time they lost in the pits because of slower driver changes?)

henk4
09-24-2007, 09:50 PM
An LMP could theoretically fit a passenger. The Peugeot 908 is an exception though. It barely fits the driver :p (anyone see how much time they lost in the pits because of slower driver changes?)

nonsense, the Peugeot is a two seater....unlike you, I have seen the inside of the cockpit, and it only looks small from the outside because of the roof. they don't loose time because of the driver change. There are two doors.....

Sledgehammer
09-24-2007, 09:53 PM
open wheel, in my definition....if you really want to add something you can use Truck racing....

So encompassing the vast array of open wheel racing isnt over-simplifying?

henk4
09-24-2007, 10:09 PM
So encompassing the vast array of open wheel racing isnt over-simplifying?

well, if you want generic categories, no, but if you want to breakdown all possible open wheel classes, yes...

Sledgehammer
09-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Tub racing?