PDA

View Full Version : Commodore Gen 111 Engine

misterb
04-25-2004, 10:09 PM
As I am looking at buying a new VY Commodore SV8, Can anybody advise me if thay are aware of any common problems with this engine as I believe previous models had some disasters.

fpv_gtho
04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
crisis owns a series 1 SV8 and hasnt had any problems so far, his general opinion of the oil problems seems to be the buyers weren't running the engines in properly (alot of hard revving the engine in the first couple of thousand kays generally) which could be backed up with the police not recording any major problems either

crisis
04-28-2004, 11:33 PM
As I am looking at buying a new VY Commodore SV8, Can anybody advise me if thay are aware of any common problems with this engine as I believe previous models had some disasters.
Got one and love it. I have covered over 20000ks with no oil problems. Just seems to keep going harder. My mate who works for a dealership said that they have rectified the problems that were prevalent with the VTs and VXs. The advice I got was use the correct oil. Dont run it in too hard, let it warm up of course, but dont drive it too lightly either (not much chance). Mine is used as a rep mobile so gets lots of stop start etc which would be an acid test for an engine.

ace
04-29-2004, 12:09 AM
It is my understanding that the first of the LS1s in Australia had problems with a short oil pickup and a deep sump in witch if you stood on the brakes hard the oil would move forward in the sump exposing the pickup to air momentarily there for destroying engine parts such as rings bearings and the like leading to premature failure ,remedied by windage trays and longer pickups . And they also came with short skirt pistons (the reasons why are unknown to me and weren't used in the USA ) providing engine destroying piston rock at hi RPMs hence many under warranty rebuilds but I believe they've fixed the problems and seem to be ultra reliable even in modified versions. In other words id have no problems sleeping with one under my house. :)

crisis
04-29-2004, 12:36 AM
It is my understanding that the first of the LS1s in Australia had problems with a short oil pickup and a deep sump in witch if you stood on the brakes hard the oil would move forward in the sump exposing the pickup to air momentarily there for destroying engine parts such as rings bearings and the like leading to premature failure ,remedied by windage trays and longer pickups . And they also came with short skirt pistons (the reasons why are unknown to me and weren't used in the USA ) providing engine destroying piston rock at hi RPMs hence many under warranty rebuilds but I believe they've fixed the problems and seem to be ultra reliable even in modified versions. In other words id have no problems sleeping with one under my house. :)
Interesting take, the sump problem. They were renown for glazing bores and using heaps of oil. I have never heard a definitive reason. The new ones and the rebuilds incorporated different pistons and rings, I heard teflon. Again I had not heard of the short skirt pistons. As I said mines been fine up to 20000k.

fpv_gtho
04-29-2004, 12:38 AM
i heard somewhere that holden originally fitted slightly thinner than normal pistons to keep friction down or something, but the only problems came if you used the wrong oil