PDA

View Full Version : General Photography Competition #109

netburner
10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Congrats to Zeppelin for winning Comp #108
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/photography/255195d1190747669-general-photography-competition-108-moon.jpg

• The deadline is Saturday
• The photograph can contain ANY image (other than adulterous material). Automotive photography is to be entered in the appropriate competition.
• The proposed picture must be your own and not found on the net.
• The photograph must be attatched using the UCP system. Any picture not attached using the UCP system will not be in the voting thread.
• Your image must be a resolution of 800x600 or lower. If it is not, your picture will not be in the voting thread.
• The photograph must be the original upload and not edited in any way other than downsizing it to 800*600 or lower. NO PHOTOSHOP ALLOWED, WHETHER SHARPENING, LIGHT CORRECTIONS OR ANYTHING ELSE!
• If any editing functions are made using in-camera options (e.g sepia) please state.
• The photograph must be taken no earlier then 6 months before start date
• Each photographer cannot vote for himself, they must vote for the others.
• Any users who enter and vote for themselves automatically recieve a 2 week penalty from the competition and all votes previously given to his/her photo are removed.
• The entry must contain the following information in the same order :

User name
Subject matter
Date taken
Camera type & name

Standings 2007:

illusionest: 6
-
Merrill: 4
-
Speedy_2: 3 / SPHFerrari: 3 / Piacki117: 3
-
Black 300ZX: 2 / Sauc3: 2 / derekthetree: 2 / Leo_Ant: 2
-
My_Porsche: 1 / Esperante: 1 / smxi: 1 / shockwaveracing: 1 / Cotterik: 1 / Sledgehammer: 1 / 2ndclasscitizen / orne: 1 / RacingManiac: 1 / aiasib: 1 / Italianspirit: 1 / Zeppelin: 1

zeppelin
10-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Woo, thanks for the votes.

Zeppelin
Financial District, Toronto
September 30 2007
Canon EOS 350D

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255843&stc=1&d=1191342518

Piacki_117
10-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Pierre786
The Eiffel Tower seen from Montmartre
Paris, France
September 2007
Sony DSC-R1
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255844&stc=1&d=1191346915

Ingolstadt
10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Ratatouille !!

drakkie
10-02-2007, 11:44 AM
IMO it should be made clear in the rules RAW editing is allowed or not, seeing the recent clearer, highlighted rules on editing. My entry has only seen slight RAW editing.

drakkie
"reaching for the sky"
DB Building, Potsdammer Platz, Berlin
Beginning of August
Fuji Finepix S5600

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255847&stc=1&d=1191350668

derekthetree
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
IMO it should be made clear in the rules RAW editing is allowed or not, seeing the recent clearer, highlighted rules on editing. My entry has only seen slight RAW editing.

NO PHOTOSHOP ALLOWED, WHETHER SHARPENING, LIGHT CORRECTIONS OR ANYTHING ELSE!

anyway, my entry

derekthetree
woods in the peaks
30/9/07
ricoh r2

zeppelin
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
What if it's done in a non-Photoshop RAW editor? :p

No RAW editing should be done that couldn't be done with the camera's settings anyway. For instance instead of shooting B/W in camera, I desaturated it in the RAW editor, but nothing else was done. Things such as exposure and setting white balance post-shot should be fine though. Anyone notify me if not, for future reference.

pat_ernzen
10-02-2007, 03:23 PM
pat_ernzen
Barn Kitten
May 2007
Canon 20D w/ 28-105mm

Leo_Ant
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Leo_Ant
Wet Berries
Today
Nikon
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255853&stc=1&d=1191363825

orne
10-02-2007, 03:26 PM
orne
Thinking about life
2007/09/23
Sony DSC-H5

Spastik_Roach
10-03-2007, 01:47 AM
Spastik_Roach
Doing the right thing
Thursday 3rd October
Canon 300D 18-55mm

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255867&stc=1&d=1191401198

drakkie
10-03-2007, 02:00 AM
What if it's done in a non-Photoshop RAW editor? :p

No RAW editing should be done that couldn't be done with the camera's settings anyway. For instance instead of shooting B/W in camera, I desaturated it in the RAW editor, but nothing else was done. Things such as exposure and setting white balance post-shot should be fine though. Anyone notify me if not, for future reference.

My pictures never go through Photoshop nowadays for RAW-editing. The much lighter S7RAW programme works perfect and much faster. Then I usually use Irfanview to resize and sometimes NoiseNinja to remove the noise.

IMO light editing should be fine, as long as a picture is not transformed, say things in or out of the image. HDR and all other kinds of editing are fine for me too.

My picture has seen a alterred white balance and some slight increasment of shadows.

Spastik_Roach
10-03-2007, 03:10 AM
Burn him at the stake!

LotusLocost
10-03-2007, 03:34 AM
My pictures never go through Photoshop nowadays for RAW-editing. The much lighter S7RAW programme works perfect and much faster. Then I usually use Irfanview to resize and sometimes NoiseNinja to remove the noise.

IMO light editing should be fine, as long as a picture is not transformed, say things in or out of the image. HDR and all other kinds of editing are fine for me too.

My picture has seen a alterred white balance and some slight increasment of shadows.

And still your photos are with a lot of noise...
And they also suck on a general basis...

drakkie
10-03-2007, 11:25 AM
And still your photos are with a lot of noise...
And they also suck on a general basis...

Thanks for the compliment. ;)

Why it has all this noise ? Because noise editing is not allowed by complainers like you, only extensive RAW editing :) My shot this week was at ISO 200,it is simply the weak point of the camera.

LotusLocost
10-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the compliment. ;)

Why it has all this noise ? Because noise editing is not allowed by complainers like you, only extensive RAW editing :) My shot this week was at ISO 200,it is simply the weak point of the camera.

No.
You are the weak point of the camera.

Piacki_117
10-03-2007, 11:56 AM
The composition of your picture is not actually ideal, Drakkie, you must admit it.

drakkie
10-03-2007, 12:21 PM
The composition of your picture is not actually ideal, Drakkie, you must admit it.

I know that, it certainly ain't a superb picture. Not the best composition and pale looking colours. But for now I am just taking stuff from the archive, until I have time for a new shooting oppurtunity. To be totally honest your's ain't ideal either... I find the plant on the left and the roofs on the bottom rather distracting to the eye.

And as always, I have a whole life ahead of me to learn and practice :)

Piacki_117
10-03-2007, 12:45 PM
I know that, it certainly ain't a superb picture. Not the best composition and pale looking colours. But for now I am just taking stuff from the archive, until I have time for a new shooting oppurtunity. To be totally honest your's ain't ideal either... I find the plant on the left and the roofs on the bottom rather distracting to the eye.

And as always, I have a whole life ahead of me to learn and practice :)

Mine sucks this week, I know.

zeppelin
10-03-2007, 02:18 PM
It's okay, everyone sucks equally. How's that?

smxi
10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
smxi
Night at the lake
Sept. 30 2007
Canon 30D Canon F2.8 28-70L USM
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachments/photography/255877d1191457958-general-photography-competition-109-093007-11-800.jpg

Merrill
10-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Merrill
Taking cover
29/9/07
Canon EOS 30D

Piacki_117
10-04-2007, 10:26 AM
It's okay, everyone sucks equally. How's that?
Usually mine don't suck...

Cotterik
10-04-2007, 11:21 AM
lets stop sucking and kicking eithers dicks and take photos :p

drakkie
10-04-2007, 12:06 PM

And that's what some people call arrogance. :)

No hard feelings !

lets stop sucking and kicking eithers dicks and take photos

Why would the guys here that are homosexual want to stop that, I wonder ? :p

netburner
10-04-2007, 12:28 PM
netburner
"I'm rich!"
my room
04-10-2007
Canon Eos 300-10D

my porsche
10-04-2007, 04:29 PM

I think if anyone else said this, I would probably laugh at them and make fun of their..."confidence". But Piacki is right, his are usually quite good.

Just though I'd put in a little compliment. :)

Piacki_117
10-05-2007, 08:17 AM
I think if anyone else said this, I would probably laugh at them and make fun of their..."confidence". But Piacki is right, his are usually quite good.

Just though I'd put in a little compliment. :)

Coming from you I really take it as a compliment ;)

Piacki_117
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Why would the guys here that are homosexual want to stop that, I wonder ? :p

Oh, please... Spare us your comments.

Cotterik
10-05-2007, 09:09 AM
haha this thread is commical. we should call it 'general housewives comp #109' :rolleyes:

derekthetree
10-05-2007, 09:19 AM
My picture has seen a altered white balance and some slight increasment of shadows.

Because noise editing is not allowed by complainers like you, only extensive RAW editing :).

so let me get this straight. you have altered the picture past what is possible in a point and click?

Is Drakkie somehow immune from the rules of this competition?
You can edit a photo as long as the program isn't called photoshop?

drakkie
10-05-2007, 09:45 AM
so let me get this straight. you have altered the picture past what is possible in a point and click?

Is Drakkie somehow immune from the rules of this competition?
You can edit a photo as long as the program isn't called photoshop?

No. The only things I did are slight RAW-editing as explained above. Because it is the only thing that is still allowed, even though it can dramatically change a picture. Read man !

I ain't immune or whatever, just questioning some rules that are kind of idiotic imo. Without me these comps wouldn't even exist anyway..

Piacki_117
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I think yes, they would. Another member would have created them instead of you, that's all.

drakkie
10-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I think yes, the would. Another member would have created them insted of you, that's all.

I never knew French people had the divine ability to look into the future :rolleyes:

Wouter Melissen
10-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I never knew French people had the divine ability to look into the future :rolleyes:

What will you hold against him next after his sexuality and his nationality? You are not funny and the only reason people let you get away with cheating is the fact that you will never win.

drakkie
10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
What will you hold against him next after his sexuality and his nationality? You are not funny and the only reason people let you get away with cheating is the fact that you will never win.

A) I don't mean harm at all and I hope the not serious tone I mean to make comes across.
B) I only cheated once, was caught, made apologies and hoped you all would be forgiving enough.

kvisser
10-05-2007, 11:40 AM
I have a rookie question. I would like to submit a photo for consideration but am unaware of the meaning of "ucp system" Could someone kindly elaborate on this?

For example, can I submit this image by adding an attachement or do I need to use a file hosting situation?

regards

ken

moon over ny
NY off of Times Square
04/07
fugi S3 Pro

Piacki_117
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a rookie question. I would like to submit a photo for consideration but am unaware of the meaning of "ucp system" Could someone kindly elaborate on this?

The UCP system is the attachment system you can use while posting (like you did).

Piacki_117
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM

I've got nothing to add.

Ingolstadt
10-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Speaking of homosexual.

Drakkie, why you like getting your ass ****ed? Couldn't you just take pics and post like what others do?

Timothy (in VA)
10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
This little guy sat perfectly still long enough for me to take several photos. Then I realized he was dead :o.

Timothy (in VA)
Cicada
September 13, 2007
Sony DSC-S500

Cotterik
10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
I'm not jumping into this argument but I personally wouldnt like to have my art (photography) insulted or put down pretty abrubtly by somebody. If so, I would likely retaliate against said person and try to hurt their feelings in the way that they hurt mine. I'm not naming names but if he responds to you insulting him then you have to be prepared for him to insult back. What on earth do you expect? Stop giving him the bait if you cant handle the bite. :rolleyes: That's all I say..

Waugh-terfall
10-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Waugh-terfall
Washing-Line
23-9-07
Sony Cyber-shot DSC W90

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=255993&stc=1&d=1191622471

LotusLocost
10-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I'm not jumping into this argument but I personally wouldnt like to have my art (photography) insulted or put down pretty abrubtly by somebody. If so, I would likely retaliate against said person and try to hurt their feelings in the way that they hurt mine. I'm not naming names but if he responds to you insulting him then you have to be prepared for him to insult back. What on earth do you expect? Stop giving him the bait if you cant handle the bite. :rolleyes: That's all I say..

lol.
Then you should go elsewhere with your "art". This a public forum with many thousand readers every day. What can you expect?

And why do you defend him all the time? He is a adult person. He should be able to stand behind what he say in a perfect manner for himself. You like being one of the "bad" boys to eh? Opposing and questioning the rules all the time. You are hardcore man!

my porsche
10-05-2007, 03:25 PM
This is retarded. Take it to PM's please.

Cotterik
10-05-2007, 03:49 PM
lol.
Then you should go elsewhere with your "art". This a public forum with many thousand readers every day. What can you expect?

And why do you defend him all the time? He is a adult person. He should be able to stand behind what he say in a perfect manner for himself. You like being one of the "bad" boys to eh? Opposing and questioning the rules all the time. You are hardcore man!

what the f*ck.

I can expect a little humanity. Surely.

I was simply saying people should expect him to retaliate if they throw the bait out for him. I'm not defending him. This just happens every week. Nobody seems to put a stop to all of this pathetic bickering. When did I ever say anything about wanting to be a 'bad' boy? If i want to be a 'bad boy' I'd go somewhere else other than a car website.. I never questioned any rules or opposed them here. Those days are long gone. I no longer care. Why on earth are you bringing that up? Bad day? Keep to the subject, einstein.

NSXType-R
10-05-2007, 03:54 PM
This little guy sat perfectly still long enough for me to take several photos. Then I realized he was dead :o.

I think that's a cicada.

I don't think they have long lifespans anyway, so don't worry. :rolleyes:

Timothy (in VA)
10-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I think that's a cicada.

I know; hence the title of the photograph.

I love listening to them singing in the trees. The volume of cicada-song around Grounds dropped noticeably once they started dying en masse as Summer ended.

zeppelin
10-05-2007, 06:09 PM

^^lollin @ dis^^

drakkie
10-06-2007, 02:36 AM

Exactly. Insulting me is fine and not a problem at all, me insulting back should be considered the same then. It is very easy to hide behind a computer screen.

I am not after trouble at all, never. Yea... right... you will be thinking ;) No really.

How would you respond to somebody if he would say of every single picture you take, it sucks. Before even taking a proper look at it, sometimes.

We learned on school and from our parents here to always criticise somebody in a way like this: I like that part, but if you could make that like so next time, it'd be even better. This way you give a positive message first and then a slightly more negative tone. And it does really work if you think of it !

I don't mind some teasing sometimes, as long as it is not insulting. And I feel most have allready crossed that thin line long ago. Criticism is something everybody should be able to take, as long as it has a point.

I have on multiple occasions on these forums, givn criticism of some things. Sometimes it was taken wrong, but I changed my approach a little. Still it is always taken wrong. I don't mean to annoy you guys, but to think of things and see from another POV how they are. There is always room for improvement, right ? It's the way we work at my school as well, learning from practical cases with critical comments from teachers. Learn to swallow it.

It's pretty difficult to piss me off big time. It really is, but noone likes to see his own fuse come to an end. Neither do I.

Let's sign peace here and now. You stop bickering me like a bunch of women and i'll stop bickering you. Stop teaming up on somebody because he is different and perhaps has a different sense of humour. We all live together in a world full of different people, whether by colour, race, mentality, personal likings or whatever. We should all live happily together, like some Teletubbies or whatever :)

So guys, you accept this sort of peace treaty and act like adults from now ? I will do my best anyway if you guys can too. Act adult for once.

my porsche
10-06-2007, 09:41 AM
I think that's a cicada.

I heard they live for like 15 years under the bark of trees then once they emerge they live for a month or so? :confused:

Timothy (in VA)
10-06-2007, 10:48 AM
I heard they live for like 15 years under the bark of trees then once they emerge they live for a month or so? :confused:

Close. The seventeen-year-cicada lives seventeen years underground sucking on tree roots, and then they emerge and live as adults for a few weeks. Seventeen-year-cicadas are black with red eyes and belong to the genus Magicicada; the one I photographed is of the genus Tibicen, which spend only two or three years underground, and are present every summer.

I've personally always enjoyed entomology.

drakkie
10-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Not worth mentioning in a separate thread but today I had a new experience. A friend and his girl asked if I could drive them to Amsterdam for a model photo shoot. They'd pay for the fuel and everything.

Fine for me, so we went today. Once there I was asked by the people doing the shoot to join them :) At first I was a bit hesitant and pretty damn nervous. After a few shots they seemed to like it. I had not brushed my teeth this morning, nor was I shaved and my hair was a mess.. I was pretty damn surprised they asked me too.

If the shots turn out well, I will be on a government leaflet sent to almost every Dutchie. And my wallet will feel itself a bit happier. Phone call coming this week if they are good enough.

Quite a odd experience being on the other side of the lense. Has any of you guys here done something like this before ?

McReis
10-08-2007, 10:25 AM
If the shots turn out well, I will be on a government leaflet sent to almost every Dutchie.
On the news today:

Belgium and Germany are expecting an abrupt and brutal invasion from dutch people jumping the border, while the Schengen law is already suspended by EU.

Cotterik
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Quite a odd experience being on the other side of the lense. Has any of you guys here done something like this before ?

yes :D Its all about lighting when shooting the girls. Compliment their best bits if you get me ;)

drakkie
10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
yes :D Its all about lighting when shooting the girls. Compliment their best bits if you get me ;)

The one traveling along in my car didn't need that, she was quite a good reason to look in my rear view mirror more than usually :)

Anneliese van Buren. Freelance Model + Styliste + Art & Graphics Designer. This site uses EC-PICK dynamic photoalbums and EC-TEXT text pages / (c)2007 TimDeibel.nl (http://www.anneliesevanburen.com/home.php)

Waugh-terfall
10-08-2007, 11:20 AM
In 2001 a Production company called up the reception of my Primary School. My Mum took the call, as she is the secretary/receptionist and my sister & I were chosen to appear in a Channel 4 Documentary on Ergot Poisoning called 'Secrets Of The Dead - Witches Curse' (http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Dead-Witches-Charlotte-Roberts/dp/B00005R5SP) which was being filmed at an Open-Air Museum near me, I had to play a peasant boy and basically sit on a straw bed in a crummy little shack near a fire and eat this disgusting bread and gruel with this disease.