PDA

View Full Version : Alonso and McLaren split

Wouter Melissen
11-02-2007, 05:16 AM
The latest rumors suggest that the split is now final:
Formula 1 : News ALONSO - F1-Live.com (http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/news/detail/071102130518.shtml)

This will open a very silly silly season.

EDIT: Autosport claims McLaren has confirmed the split.

fpv_gtho
11-02-2007, 05:51 AM
The latest rumours before the split was announced had Ron only agreeing to let Alonso join a privateer outfit, with Williams and Red Bull the obvious favourites. RBR have both drivers confirmed for next year, but Williams have neither despite strong talk Rosberg wont be going anywhere.

If he's totally free however, Renault also have neither seat confirmed with Fisichella out of contract and unlikely to be re-signed, and Kovalainen admitting to being a free agent for 2008. Ferrari closed the slim chance Alonso might have of a 2009 drive by re-signing Massa through to 2010, although never specified it as a race drive. BMW would seem like a good choice too, but like RBR have confirmed next years lineup already.

The past few days it also emerged talks with Renault might have stalled due to Alonso's wish for a single year contract, whilst most teams are chasing multi year deals.

Theres also Toyota i suppose with the biggest cheque book in F1. Alonso's former Renault team mate and friend Jarno Trulli is confirmed for next year, although he's already hinted Alonso shouldnt join the team. Timo Glock seems more likely for the 2nd seat there if Trulli keeps his contract.

go.pawel
11-02-2007, 06:26 AM
The official press release:

FERNANDO ALONSO AND VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES AGREE TO MOVE ON

Woking, 2nd November 2007: Following a meeting between Fernando Alonso and McLaren, it was agreed that it would be in the best interests of both parties to bring the relationship to an end.

The mutual parting of ways has not been discussed until now, since it was felt that any such discussion could have seriously disrupted the team’s and Fernando’s 2007 Formula 1 World Championship challenge. Both parties believe that this was the right decision.

FERNANDO ALONSO:
“Since I was a boy I had always wanted to drive for McLaren, but sometimes in life things do not work out. I continue to believe that McLaren is a great team. Yes, we have had our ups and downs during the season, which has made it extra-challenging for all of us, and it is not a secret that I never really felt at home. I know there have been suggestions of favouritism within the team and people say a lot of things in the heat of battle, but in the end I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win. Today’s decision allows all of us to focus on 2008, and I wish the team, Vodafone, Banco Santander, Mutua Madrileña and all the other team Partners who I have worked closely with during the year, the best for the future.”

RON DENNIS:
“Everybody at Vodafone McLaren Mercedes, especially McLaren’s Spanish Partners Banco Santander and Mutua Madrileña and the team’s title partner Vodafone, want to wish Fernando all the best for the future. He is a great driver but for some reason the combination of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes and Fernando has not really worked out, and in the end we reached a stage where none of us could find a way to move forward. We all believe that our joint decision to part company is for the best, and we will now continue to focus on our 2008 World Championship challenge.”

Vodafone McLaren Mercedes will announce any additions to its existing driver line-up in due course.

Wouter Melissen
11-02-2007, 06:37 AM
Where will he go ?

EDIT: Added a poll!

faksta
11-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Hmm..why I'm not surprised?

Where? Obviously not Toyota and not BMW, cause he refused to cope with former, and the latter had already confirmed Heidfeld and Kubica, during a 2007 season yet. I bet on Renault, though I suppose he will lose his chances to win the championship with them. Also it could be Honda, I guess, or RBR, cause, in my opinion (don't know the exact situation) Barrichello and Coulthard could end their careers next year.

drakkie
11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Let's hope he goes back to his own level, Formula Renault or something :p

Coventrysucks
11-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I was always provided with an equal opportunity to win.

So why spend half the season

suggesting favouritism within the team and saying a lot of things in the heat of battle

?

Too little, too late - the damage is done and the bridges are burned - Alonso is the one holding the matches.

I suppose Renault is the most likely place for him to wind up, as they know what he is like and they already have a working relationship - for anyone else, unless Alonso learned a lesson from this outcome, there is now a clear risk that if Fernando doesn't think he is getting his way there will be another assault on a team's reputation.

faksta
11-02-2007, 08:21 AM
By the way, I've heard that Renault demanded 15 millions from ING. Guess for what? ;)

Zytek_Fan
11-02-2007, 01:26 PM
The latest rumours before the split was announced had Ron only agreeing to let Alonso join a privateer outfit, with Williams and Red Bull the obvious favourites. RBR have both drivers confirmed for next year, but Williams have neither despite strong talk Rosberg wont be going anywhere.

If he's totally free however, Renault also have neither seat confirmed with Fisichella out of contract and unlikely to be re-signed, and Kovalainen admitting to being a free agent for 2008. Ferrari closed the slim chance Alonso might have of a 2009 drive by re-signing Massa through to 2010, although never specified it as a race drive. BMW would seem like a good choice too, but like RBR have confirmed next years lineup already.

The past few days it also emerged talks with Renault might have stalled due to Alonso's wish for a single year contract, whilst most teams are chasing multi year deals.

Theres also Toyota i suppose with the biggest cheque book in F1. Alonso's former Renault team mate and friend Jarno Trulli is confirmed for next year, although he's already hinted Alonso shouldnt join the team. Timo Glock seems more likely for the 2nd seat there if Trulli keeps his contract.

BMW is absolutely committed to Kubica and Heidfeld (Dr. Thiessen said so), so BMW is out of the question.

The likely candidates are Renault and Toyota. Both have the financial resources to pay Alonso what he wants. I'm gonna say Renault cuz Briatore has hinted all year he'd take Alonso back in.

I agree with you on Timo Glock and Toyota. Timo is damn fast and BMW would prolly be willing to let him go.

Daz27
11-02-2007, 04:03 PM
I clicked on Renault, but I read somewhere that there is ill feeling in regard to stronso alonso and a fair proportion of the Renault team. Its not exactly the newest thing in the world when it comes to alonso being a brat wanting his own way and burning bridges when he doesnt get it. As I said before, I dont like the prick so I dont care where he goes. Id love to see him in nascar getting his ass handed to him by montoya and JV.

Zytek_Fan
11-02-2007, 04:22 PM
In one year Alonso goes from the class of the F1 field to the biggest cry baby I've ever seen...

Cotterik
11-02-2007, 05:28 PM
Theres no doubt that alonso is a fantastic driver. So he will undoubtedly land a decent seat for next year. I'm sure ferrari wouldve been his first option. Afterall, a kimi+fernando lineup would be pretty hard to beat. But maybe he would head back off to renault? I always thought he was very comfortable there.

Another interesting question is. Who will take the seat beside Hamilton?

ZeTurbo
11-02-2007, 05:37 PM
i voted where i hope he will go. i think he could help williams get back on track.

Cotterik
11-02-2007, 05:50 PM
i voted where i hope he will go. i think he could help williams get back on track.

judging from this years rumours and events he'll want to be avoiding another british team. Since the spanish press have openly expressed their dislike for the british mclaren team, claiming 'bias' between lewis and fernando. I can imagine him at honda. But they are off form right now. I'd like to say renault as he would probably be more comfortable back there.

kingofthering
11-02-2007, 09:05 PM
But they are off form right now. I'd like to say renault as he would probably be more comfortable back there.

From all I've seen/heard he's burnt too many bridges for his own good. Worst case scenario is to go to DTM or Super GT. :D

Karlito
11-03-2007, 03:04 AM
Well, to be honest, I don't like the guy... First, somebody mentioned that he's a fantastic driver. Well I don't agree. He became world champion two times in a row, and that is a fact, but the thing is how he did that, in 2005 he definatley wasn't the best driver, the best driver was Kimi. Kimi was much faster, only the Mclaren was not reliable enough, all that Fernando did in the second half of the season was that he was trying to finish and it didn't matter was it the 2nd or 3rd place, the main thing was to score the points. My point is that he is not a fighter, not the one that is fighting for the win in every situation (like Schumacher for example). Technical failures helped him also in 2006, where in the first part of the season he gained many points, but in the next races Schumacer gained a LOT more than Alonso, while Alonso was sitting there and crying thah Renault is not helping him enough (sounds familiar?!).
And after all he switched to Mclaren, hoping 1) His 2 times WC so uncle Ron will support him (who else?!), and 2) His team partner will be some young bloke Hamilton, that has no experience, is a newcomer and so on (how can he be faster that the great FERNANDO!!!!!). Well Already in the beginning he found out that Lewis was much faster than he thought and uncle Ron was supporting them both equally. :( Poor Fernando started crying, instead of driving faster... but it didn't help as it happened in Renault a year earlier, than he triyed to blackmail uncle Ron... Well we all know that thanks to him Mclaren lost: 1) $100 Mil. 2) Constructors Championship, 3) World Title, 4) The team can be banned next year!!!!

Isn't that enough for Uncle Ron to let him go?!?!?! In my personal opinion it is more than enough.

To the question where will he go next year? My answer is I don't care! To Force India (best choice), he'll help them gain a whole second on a lap :D :D :D Maybe... but maybe V8 Supercars will also be very good choice :D

faksta
11-03-2007, 04:18 AM
Well, to be honest, I don't like the guy... First, somebody mentioned that he's a fantastic driver. Well I don't agree. He became world champion two times in a row, and that is a fact, but the thing is how he did that, in 2005 he definatley wasn't the best driver, the best driver was Kimi. Kimi was much faster, only the Mclaren was not reliable enough, all that Fernando did in the second half of the season was that he was trying to finish and it didn't matter was it the 2nd or 3rd place, the main thing was to score the points. My point is that he is not a fighter, not the one that is fighting for the win in every situation (like Schumacher for example). Technical failures helped him also in 2006, where in the first part of the season he gained many points, but in the next races Schumacer gained a LOT more than Alonso, while Alonso was sitting there and crying thah Renault is not helping him enough (sounds familiar?!).
And after all he switched to Mclaren, hoping 1) His 2 times WC so uncle Ron will support him (who else?!), and 2) His team partner will be some young bloke Hamilton, that has no experience, is a newcomer and so on (how can he be faster that the great FERNANDO!!!!!). Well Already in the beginning he found out that Lewis was much faster than he thought and uncle Ron was supporting them both equally. :( Poor Fernando started crying, instead of driving faster... but it didn't help as it happened in Renault a year earlier, than he triyed to blackmail uncle Ron... Well we all know that thanks to him Mclaren lost: 1) $100 Mil. 2) Constructors Championship, 3) World Title, 4) The team can be banned next year!!!!

Isn't that enough for Uncle Ron to let him go?!?!?! In my personal opinion it is more than enough.

To the question where will he go next year? My answer is I don't care! To Force India (best choice), he'll help them gain a whole second on a lap :D :D :D Maybe... but maybe V8 Supercars will also be very good choice :D

What a familiar point of view :D Exactly what I think of him - just lucky bastard who loves to cry if something goes wrong.

fpv_gtho
11-03-2007, 07:35 AM
Well, to be honest, I don't like the guy... First, somebody mentioned that he's a fantastic driver. Well I don't agree. He became world champion two times in a row, and that is a fact, but the thing is how he did that, in 2005 he definatley wasn't the best driver, the best driver was Kimi. Kimi was much faster, only the Mclaren was not reliable enough, all that Fernando did in the second half of the season was that he was trying to finish and it didn't matter was it the 2nd or 3rd place, the main thing was to score the points. My point is that he is not a fighter, not the one that is fighting for the win in every situation (like Schumacher for example).

Big deal. Maybe if Hamilton and McLaren had taken that approach this year they'd have the #1 on their car for next year. Winning races isnt the only way to win championships when your rivals fall apart every second race like the 2005 McLarens did. Pushing to the limit wouldve only exposed Renault to more reliability problems when McLaren were comfortably ahead.

Technical failures helped him also in 2006, where in the first part of the season he gained many points, but in the next races Schumacer gained a LOT more than Alonso [QUOTE]

Do those points not cancel each other out?

[QUOTE]while Alonso was sitting there and crying thah Renault is not helping him enough (sounds familiar?!).

That is all purely your subjective opinion. It was never simply Alonso's own actions that vilified McLaren in the whole spying saga. The simple fact is one of their employees had something they shouldnt have. That was all the FIA needed for a guilty verdict, and it was later when new evidence came that they decided to back up the guilty verdict with an actual penalty. As to those actual emails, where is the same backlash for Pedro de la Rosa that Alonso is recieving? He was the one communicating with Coughlan about the Ferrari data, and later transfering it to Alonso. As i already stated, it was McLarens own actions which made the largest contribution to their loss of the drivers title. Coming into Shanghai, Hamilton was leading by 17 points. All he needed was 4 points from 2 races to clinch the championship, the equivalent of 2 7th place finishes. He wouldve been guranteed 2x6th place finishes at the very least given BMW had been the only team in a position to challenge either Ferrari or McLaren all year consistently.

orne
11-03-2007, 07:54 AM
I think that surely his best choice would be Renault but that depends on what agreement was reached with Ron Dennis because apparently he can't join a manufacturer team, if that's the case then Williams seems to be the only choice considering that even if they keep Rosberg, there'll be another available spot.

If it happens like that, then we'll probably see Renault with Kovalainen and Piquet. The big question would be Mclaren, I personally think the best way would be Lewis and Rosberg and for Williams perhaps Sutil. Other interesting possibilities for Mclaren would be Button and Webber but all of them have contracts so who knows...

Zytek_Fan
11-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Apparently BMW isn't too keen on Glock leaving. Thiessen told a newspaper he would like to have Glock's testing services for another year, while Glock wants that race drive at Toyota. Thiessen just needs to let him go. Which team has landed all the stellar test drivers, that became stellar race drivers in recent years? BMW. It's like they have an endless supply of up and coming F1 drivers.

The big question would be Mclaren, I personally think the best way would be Lewis and Rosberg and for Williams perhaps Sutil.

I do agree with you here, however Force India (Spyker) has indicated they would like to keep Sutil for next year, and the team owners have DEEP pockets.

Karlito
11-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Winning races isnt the only way to win championships when your rivals fall apart every second race like the 2005 McLarens did. Pushing to the limit wouldve only exposed Renault to more reliability problems when McLaren were comfortably ahead.

Yes I agree, winning races isn't the only way to win races. Yes it is smarter to come second and third and gain points, but I appreciate a driver when he (even when he's in the lead) is fighting for each win and each point.

Do those points not cancel each other out?

Yes they do, but he was doing the same thing as in the previous year, just collecting points, not even triying to win.

That is all purely your subjective opinion.

Yes it definetly is my subjective, personal opinion, and off course you may have your own.

It was never simply Alonso's own actions that vilified McLaren in the whole spying saga. The simple fact is one of their employees had something they shouldnt have. That was all the FIA needed for a guilty verdict, and it was later when new evidence came that they decided to back up the guilty verdict with an actual penalty. As to those actual emails, where is the same backlash for Pedro de la Rosa that Alonso is recieving? He was the one communicating with Coughlan about the Ferrari data, and later transfering it to Alonso. As i already stated, it was McLarens own actions which made the largest contribution to their loss of the drivers title.

Yes I agree it wasnt, only alonso's fault, yes De La Rosa ose the first source, but was it Pedro who tried to blakmail Dennis? If Alonso never mentioned those letters (like pedro did) the verdict would be different? Haven't you thought about it. I'm not saying that all the guys in Mclaren are perfect, all I'm sayin that the steps that Alonso has taken, were not the ones that 2 times WC should've taken.

Once again that is my opinion and you may disagree.

Daz27
11-03-2007, 03:38 PM
.....maybe he would head back off to renault? I always thought he was very comfortable there.

Another interesting question is. Who will take the seat beside Hamilton?

Thats a EASY question...MARK WEBBER!!!!!!:D Fernando can deal with them sh1tty gearboxs on the Red Bull cars...

Daz27
11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
.... he'll help them gain a whole second on a lap :D :D :D Maybe... but maybe V8 Supercars will also be very good choice :D

Thems are fighting words...

fpv_gtho
11-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Hamilton's commented that he could see his new team mate as either Rosberg, Kovalainen or Sutil. Kovalainen would be the easiest fit due to the absence of a 2008 Renault contract.

faksta
11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Hamilton's commented that he could see his new team mate as either Rosberg, Kovalainen or Sutil. Kovalainen would be the easiest fit due to the absence of a 2008 Renault contract.

Looking back at this season I would be happy for each of them to take seat in McLaren.

Zytek_Fan
11-04-2007, 12:56 PM

Heikki is quite the good driver it seems, but the Renault just wasn't fast enough this year. If Heikki stays at Renault (Fisichella has got to be leaving soon...), then Sutil would be the obvious choice, because of this comment from Patrick Head:

Patrick Head has warned McLaren not to try and poach the German from them after he confirmed that Rosberg is contracted to Williams for 2008, while the team have an option on him for 2009 too.

Sutil would be a good choice too, every now and then during the season, the commentators would say Sutil would do much, much better in a more capable car.

fpv_gtho
11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Sutil would need some driver coaching though. Whilst he is naturally fast, he went straight from F3 to F1 and its perhaps shown with how much he's been overdriving the car at times, leading to quite a few mistakes.

Zytek_Fan
11-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Sutil would need some driver coaching though. Whilst he is naturally fast, he went straight from F3 to F1 and its perhaps shown with how much he's been overdriving the car at times, leading to quite a few mistakes.

Agreed. He's quite the up and coming talent, just needs some more experience.

Daz27
11-05-2007, 03:02 AM
Pick Lowndes.

Zytek_Fan
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Speculation that the seven-times world champion could join McLaren has been rife since Williams' Patrick Head suggested that Schumacher Snr "is still fit - and probably bored", after he made way for new World Champ, Kimi Raikkonen at the end of last year.

The Williams co-owner suggested that Michael might be a good choice for the the Mercedes-powered team amidst reports that McLaren is trying to install Rosberg alongside Hamilton for the 2008 season.

However, despite Head's assertion that McLaren is in a position to offer the kind of salary that Michael Schumacher might demand, Mercedes' Norbert Haug has said Alonso's replacement will need to be "quick and inexpensive" - almost certainly ruling out the former Ferrari ace, adding that there is "no time frame" set out for naming the Spaniard's replacement.

McLaren's CEO, Martin Whitmarsh backed-up Haug's claims that there is no rush to confirm the 2008 line up in The Guardian newspaper saying, "Until the second McLaren drive is sorted out I don't think you'll see much movement [in the driver market], so we're not really hurried."

The British 'paper also revealed that Ralf Schumacher's management had approached the Woking-based team, but it was quickly made clear that he was not on the short-list.

All I can say is WTF?!

MSC would only do a season...and I don't think he'd be too keen to race against his old team.

torque55
11-06-2007, 05:36 AM
his only decent option is to go to renault. I would love to see him fighting against hamilton next season.

if he goes anywhere else, he will probably become very demotivated and end up like ralf schumacher.

fisetdavid26
11-06-2007, 06:04 AM
All I can say is WTF?!

MSC would only do a season...and I don't think he'd be too keen to race against his old team.
Isn't Schumi assisting Jean Todt as CEO at Scuderia Ferrari? He contributed during the 2007 season and contributes for Ferrari road cars... I don't believe he's about to join McLaren anytime soon. As for him coming back as a driver, that could always happen... boredom and nostalgia might make him come back. I wonder what would happen at Ferrari if that was to happen.

Wouter Melissen
11-06-2007, 06:32 AM
Isn't Schumi assisting Jean Todt as CEO at Scuderia Ferrari? He contributed during the 2007 season and contributes for Ferrari road cars... I don't believe he's about to join McLaren anytime soon. As for him coming back as a driver, that could always happen... boredom and nostalgia might make him come back. I wonder what would happen at Ferrari is that was to happen.

He'll test a 2007 Ferrari without traction control, this week at Barcelona for two days. It will be his first official test since his retirement.

orne
11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
I really don't see Michael joining Mclaren...

That's probably just another paper selling strategy :)