PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Magnum and Chrysler Crossfire discontinued?

Lets Gekiga In
11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
The company announced it will eliminate four auto models through 2008, including the Dodge Magnum wagon, the convertible version of the Chrysler PT Cruiser, the Chrysler Pacifica crossover and the Chrysler Crossfire sports car.

Chrysler to cut up to 12,000 jobs - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071101/ap_on_bi_ge/chrysler_job_cuts)

I'm actually really upset about this. :(

ScionDriver
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
No doubting it is a shame that those people are out of a job, however the PT convert is UGLY, the Magnum has no real purpose, the Pacifica I have no real problem with but it isn't great and the Crossfire needed more power and maybe a slightly better design.

NSXType-R
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
That's interesting, because the Magnum they could profit off of through fleet sales and such, such as police cars/taxis/rental agencies. It makes sense that they're getting rid of the Magnum though, but shouldn't they also get rid of the Charger and the 300C because they're all based off of the E Class platform? Makes no sense to get rid of just the Magnum. Also, the Crossfire (what a stupid name) is just a Mecedes SLK, and the previous one at that too. It's about time to either redo it or get rid of it all together. The PT Cruiser fad is over, so that makes sense too. The Pacifica could be a problem though, cause that definitely looks better than a Town and Country, although I wouldn't like either car to begin with.

Lets Gekiga In
11-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I really liked the Magnum a lot. It's so sad that people just don't like estates that much over here. :(

digitalcraft
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
The crossfire had more potential than they allowed it, but I don't think the other ones will be missed that much.

NSXType-R
11-05-2007, 02:12 PM
I really liked the Magnum a lot. It's so sad that people just don't like estates that much over here. :(

That's true. Wagons truly are more useful than SUV's.

The crossfire had more potential than they allowed it, but I don't think the other ones will be missed that much.

They could have done so much more with it. It's one of those coulda, shoulda, woulda things.

The_Canuck
11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Hated the crossfire but the Magnumm seemed to do well.

11-05-2007, 08:13 PM
The crossfire was hideous and awful, the Magnum was a good car

PT cruiser was just as bad as the crossfire, pacifica was little better

MRR
11-05-2007, 08:18 PM

It was also classified as a light truck instead of a car so they could escape CAFE fuel economy standards (yet another reason raising CAFE standards won't work).

The crossfire was just an old SLK230 Kompressor and looked horrible so good riddance.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-05-2007, 09:37 PM
The Pacifica was an American R-Class without the badge Kudos. and thus without any real point for existence.

The Crossfire was purely a styling exercise - and based upon a car 10 years it's senior. it was not at the top of it's market when it was released - and thus did not really stand a chance when rivals updated.

The PT Convertible? Seriously. you can fit an arm in the panel gaps.

and the Magnum Wagon? that's an interesting one actually.....I've seen more of those than i thought would have been wise to cut the market - perhaps the intention is to direct people to the Chrysler 300c wagon?

fpv_gtho
11-05-2007, 09:43 PM
America doesnt get the 300C wagon though. Thats just something Chrysler Australia did - its the Magnum with the 300C nose.

Timothy (in VA)
11-05-2007, 09:48 PM
and the Magnum Wagon? that's an interesting one actually.....I've seen more of those than i thought would have been wise to cut the market - perhaps the intention is to direct people to the Chrysler 300c wagon?

I read it was because the Magnum might compete with the new Dodge Journey (I also read somewhere there's a Chrysler version of the Journey planned, so that might replace the Pacifica).

The PT Cruiser Convertible was really something of a niche-market car, and not a very popular one at that. I suppose that Chrysler can't afford to pursue minimally profitable niches anymore.

I am kind of sad to see the Crossfire go; it was a neat looking car but it was never a very competitive one. On the upside, unique looks + small sales = future classic.

IBrake4Rainbows
11-05-2007, 10:03 PM
I'd hardly call the Crossfire a classic......more of an oddity. Future Nash Metropolitan?

The Journey is a remarkably boring looking vehicle......what a shame they replaced something with a little bit of character with something that looks completely devoid.

clutch-monkey
11-05-2007, 10:51 PM
crossfire was rubbish. although it was hilarious taking them offroad on the chrysler jeep offroad trips they organised for customers. nothing like seeing some blonde secretary hammer it down some rutted mud track. hell, i would too, if only to make it break so i could go home and not touch a chrysler again

silverhawk
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
ive never seen a magnum and was waiting for it to arrive in the middle east but it never did. people dont go for estates there. Good riddance to the crossfire and PT cruiser cabrio. with mercedes by their side chrysler could have made much better cars but for some strange reason they do the exact opposite.

bruxell
11-06-2007, 10:17 AM
That's interesting, because the Magnum they could profit off of through fleet sales and such, such as police cars/taxis/rental agencies. It makes sense that they're getting rid of the Magnum though, but shouldn't they also get rid of the Charger and the 300C because they're all based off of the E Class platform? Makes no sense to get rid of just the Magnum. Also, the Crossfire (what a stupid name) is just a Mecedes SLK, and the previous one at that too. It's about time to either redo it or get rid of it all together. The PT Cruiser fad is over, so that makes sense too. The Pacifica could be a problem though, cause that definitely looks better than a Town and Country, although I wouldn't like either car to begin with.

I think they're stopping Magnum production because the car isn't selling very well compared to the charger and the 300, and it's a more expensive variant to produce. The Crossfire, was never a very strong seller, and I think is going to make way for the far more profitable Challenger, which shares more of its architecture with other models...

NSXType-R
11-06-2007, 10:56 AM
I think they're stopping Magnum production because the car isn't selling very well compared to the charger and the 300, and it's a more expensive variant to produce. The Crossfire, was never a very strong seller, and I think is going to make way for the far more profitable Challenger, which shares more of its architecture with other models...

Makes sense. I was never really a fan of the Magnum (or all American cars), but I liked the fact that we now had an American station wagon and I thought it would bring America back to wagons. I guess not. :(

sentoe187
11-12-2007, 07:40 AM
??? why on the mag?

MRR
11-13-2007, 12:58 PM
Makes sense. I was never really a fan of the Magnum (or all American cars), but I liked the fact that we now had an American station wagon and I thought it would bring America back to wagons. I guess not. :(

There are actually some rumors around that there might be a wagon Pontiac G8 so all hope is not lost. Remember the Magnum was classified as a light truck so technically it wasn't even a wagon (another reason CAFE doesn't work :) )

NSXType-R
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
There are actually some rumors around that there might be a wagon Pontiac G8 so all hope is not lost. Remember the Magnum was classified as a light truck so technically it wasn't even a wagon (another reason CAFE doesn't work :) )

Yes, I read that in Motortrend. Fingers crossed.

That's stupid with the classifications. The Magnum might have the fuel consumption of a light truck though, with the Hemi.

BTW, is the G5 a rebadged Cobalt? That's stupid too.

Lets Gekiga In
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Supposedly though the next generation G5 would have RWD (I imagine they would be using the Kappa platform).

fisetdavid26
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Yes, I read that in Motortrend. Fingers crossed.

That's stupid with the classifications. The Magnum might have the fuel consumption of a light truck though, with the Hemi.

BTW, is the G5 a rebadged Cobalt? That's stupid too.
The G5 is indeed a rebadged Cobalt. It's kind of a 'better' Cobalt, with better standard trims and better options. Aside from that well, the grill is different, it has Pontiac badges instead of Chevy ones, and different hubcaps. That's it. Oh yeah, almost forgot: The G5 has the 'square' Cobalt Sedan taillights, no round taillights offered, no matter if the car is a sedan or a coupe.

Kitdy
11-13-2007, 04:41 PM
The G5 is indeed a rebadged Cobalt. It's kind of a 'better' Cobalt, with better standard trims and better options. Aside from that well, the grill is different, it has Pontiac badges instead of Chevy ones, and different hubcaps. That's it. Oh yeah, almost forgot: The G5 has the 'square' Cobalt Sedan taillights, no round taillights offered, no matter if the car is a sedan or a coupe.

I hate Pontiac's split grill and their goddamn pointy-red-thingy logo. It is horrible. The only good looking Pontiac is the Torrent.

fisetdavid26
11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
I hate Pontiac's split grill and their goddamn pointy-red-thingy logo. It is horrible. The only good looking Pontiac is the Torrent.
I certainly wouldn't mind a Solstice.

Kitdy
11-13-2007, 06:25 PM
I certainly wouldn't mind a Solstice.

Seriously, I have heard good things about that car, but I think it is utterly hideous.

NSXType-R
11-14-2007, 02:20 PM

Wow. GM just loves badge engineering. No one needs more of the same car.

They try to streamline their offerings, but it clearly is not streamlining.

Lets Gekiga In
11-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Wow. GM just loves badge engineering. No one needs more of the same car.

They try to streamline their offerings, but it clearly is not streamlining.
I mean I'll admit that GM does a fair amount of badge engineering, but I believe there are a lot of other companies guilty of this as well.

Companies like Acura, Lexus, Audi, Mercury and Infiniti come to mind.

NSXType-R
11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
I mean I'll admit that GM does a fair amount of badge engineering, but I believe there are a lot of other companies guilty of this as well.

Companies like Acura, Lexus, Audi, Mercury and Infiniti come to mind.

Not really, not to my knowledge at least. I know they certainly share engines a lot. But not whole bodies.

If anything, GM is the most blatant of them all. After that, Ford Motor Company.

fpv_gtho
11-18-2007, 09:05 PM
Ford and GM do alot of badge engineering within the US - the same product being sold by Mercury and Ford for instance, with minor styling differences and different trim levels.

Acura, Lexus and Infiniti do badge engineering moreso between the US and the rest of the world, or sometimes simply Japan. They'll have some US-only models, but theres alot of other models that outside of America are badged as a Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Acura RSX/Honda Integra, Toyota Soarer/Lexus SC, Infiniti G35/Nissan Skyline etc.

Lets Gekiga In
11-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Not really, not to my knowledge at least. I know they certainly share engines a lot. But not whole bodies.

If anything, GM is the most blatant of them all. After that, Ford Motor Company.
Acura TL uses the same platform as the Honda Accord as does the TSX, MDX and Odyssey.

Lexus uses the same platform for the ES, Camry, and Avalon. Also GX and 4Runner share platforms, as do LX and Land Cruiser.

Infiniti uses the FM platform for the G, M and FX which is also shared with Nissan in the 350Z. Infiniti also uses one platform for the QX which it shares with Nissan in the Frontier, Titan, Xterra, Pathfinder and Armada.

I don't even need to get into Mercury.

I don't think I need to get into Audi either.

mooseTSi
11-19-2007, 07:31 AM
The Pacifica was an American R-Class without the badge Kudos. and thus without any real point for existence.

The Pacifica was out before the R class. and i think the need the Pacifica, the dont have anything like that in their line up. they need that to compete

NSXType-R
11-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Acura TL uses the same platform as the Honda Accord as does the TSX, MDX and Odyssey.

Lexus uses the same platform for the ES, Camry, and Avalon. Also GX and 4Runner share platforms, as do LX and Land Cruiser.

Infiniti uses the FM platform for the G, M and FX which is also shared with Nissan in the 350Z. Infiniti also uses one platform for the QX which it shares with Nissan in the Frontier, Titan, Xterra, Pathfinder and Armada.

I don't even need to get into Mercury.

I don't think I need to get into Audi either.

Okay, but those platforms have been modified a bit in the Odyssey (lengthened, shortened, etc).

GM just rebadges them and calls it a day sometimes. That's just damn lazy.

Again, the wrappers are sometimes different (not so much for the Armada and the QX 56, but that's only one example).

Ford's badge engineered the Fusion, MKZ (or whatever it's called now) and the Mercury Milan. All the same cars underneath.

Although yeah, car manufacturers do share parts and badge engineer a lot, I think GM does it a lot more than all the others.

Lets Gekiga In
11-19-2007, 03:16 PM
GM does it fairly often, however they do change a lot of the characteristics of the car, the design and whatnot so it is a bit harder to tell if the car is the same or not.

All car companies are guilty of rebadging at one point or another or letting a car be rebadged of their own.

NSXType-R
11-19-2007, 06:47 PM
GM does it fairly often, however they do change a lot of the characteristics of the car, the design and whatnot so it is a bit harder to tell if the car is the same or not.

All car companies are guilty of rebadging at one point or another or letting a car be rebadged of their own.

Yeah, basically.

steve70
11-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I agree, remember Cerebus is in the business of making profits. Cutting car models is their way of streamlining the company and keeping costs down.