PDA

View Full Version : I need your help- Which of the two?

sandwich
04-27-2004, 07:33 AM
Yes, it's another what should I buy thread, but I want to hear your opinions.

I've sold my kitcar and I'm faced with a decision between two great options for my next ride. I'm trying to take into consideration everything about the two.

The first is an AMC Eagle already outfitted with a 390 V8. The car is prepped with a roll cage and upgraded suspension, but has no emergency brake and an automatic transmission. This could all be fixed, but not without time and money. In addition, it weighs close to 3800 lbs, according to the current owner. This car would let me compete in rally races, which could be fun and lead to something else. I should be able to get it for close to $3000, but I can't drive it without an Ebrake, so I need to figure out some way to fix that (eg, new axle, independant rear, etc.).

The other option is a Manta Mirage. I've mentioned it before on the forum, and would love to own one, and one has come up in Utah. I don't know too much about it yet, except that it is powered by a V8 and needs a $900 windshield. The guy wants $9500 for it, and I have no idea what I could get it for ($9000? $8000?). The car would be fantastic to drive, but as I live in the city the fiberglass may need to be considered. Also, I'm not sure about door locks or security. This would be at the absolute maximum of my price range. It would definately be a lot more impressive too, vs. the eagle.

So what do you think? On road screamer with high insurance or off road racer that needs work?

Matra et Alpine
04-27-2004, 07:39 AM
So what do you think? On road screamer with high insurance or off road racer that needs work?
heart says Manta, head says Eagle.

What is Ebrake ? Parkiing brake ?? Dual-circuit brake ??? Those with a 'common' language are curious :)
Can't see why braking isn't a minor fix !!

You're really pushing your limit with the Mirage. What are you going to do if it needs some work or you have an 'incident' if your are competing ?
You need to think running budget for at least the first year and contingencies. If you're thinking of competing, how are you going to afford entry fees, tyres, fuel etc ???

sandwich
04-27-2004, 07:51 AM
I wouldn't compete in the Manta...just drive it....on the road....a lot. I'm waiting to hear back from the owner, but as far as I know it is restored less a windshield. You can see in the engine photo how nice the bay looks. I didn't include any interior photos of the Eagle, but it's stripped. The eagle could use some work, at the very least it needs new calipers in the rear in order to be roadworthy. E-brake refers to parking brake (emergency brake) or handbrake. In my state, I think it needs to be present and functioning in order to pass inspection. There is already a disk conversion done on the rear, but for some reason he used a set of front calipers instead of rears. I do not know if I could buy some calipers from a jeep and throw them on there, or if I would have to go big (which I was thinking) and throw a Jag IRS system on it. I would prefer that, but I have no idea of reliability or function, or even if it would work on this car. On top of that, if I replace the Auto (which i would absolutely want to) i may need new differentials and a new transfer case. The eagle's 4wd is based on a truck system, rather than AWD like the quattro.

I'm very torn. Neither car is quite complete, which is what I was looking for, and each offers advantages. I could race the eagle...eventually, and the manta is just amazing.

EvilPaladin
04-27-2004, 07:52 AM
Of those two, the Manta would be my choice, but rally is fun :D

sandwich
04-27-2004, 07:55 AM
Also, he says the front part of the cage needs to be replaced in order to compete. He says the tubing may be too small for current regulations. As it has a logbook, it may be able to be grandfathered in. I'm still waiting to hear back from the SCCA.

DarkPhenix
04-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Manta... :rolleyes:

byronleehk
04-27-2004, 08:02 AM
My choice would be the Manta, but don't forget to take into consideration the long-term maintenance costs too. :rolleyes:

Sweeney921
04-27-2004, 09:26 AM
manta

henk4
04-27-2004, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=sandwich E-brake refers to parking brake (emergency brake) or handbrake. In my state, I think it needs to be present and functioning in order to pass inspection. There is already a disk conversion done on the rear, but for some reason he used a set of front calipers instead of rears. I do not know if I could buy some calipers from a jeep and throw them on there, or if I would have to go big (which I was thinking) and throw a Jag IRS system on it. I would prefer that, but I have no idea of reliability or function, or even if it would work on this car. On top of that, if I replace the Auto (which i would absolutely want to) i may need new differentials and a new transfer case. The eagle's 4wd is based on a truck system, rather than AWD like the quattro.
[/QUOTE]
If you want to change the automatic to manual you will need the handbrake, otherwise you can't get away from hills, unless you seriously want to damage the clutch. Most cars have the handbrake on the rear wheels, (allowing for the easy 180 degree turn), but you can also put it on the front wheels (my car actually has that).
I suppose your choice comes on top of a daily driver that you already have, if not the Eagle would be the most practical.

Mustang
04-27-2004, 12:16 PM
[QUOTE=Matra et Alpine]heart says Manta, head says Eagle.QUOTE]

i would like to say the Manta too but i would have to choose the Eagle purely because i want to go rally driving as soon as i can and i too hope that it leads somewhere. :D :D

sandwich
04-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Keep in mind things like insurance and titling. I could insure the eagle as an Eagle, but the Manta could be anything...and anywhere in price.

I've got to agree right now...my heart says manta but my head says eagle. It's the more reasonable option. The Manta is a dream car, it might have to wait until I have a little bit more room to drive it.....hmmmmmmmmmm

bk4uyeah
04-28-2004, 06:01 AM
Along with everyone else, the Manta is what you say you always want, but will probably never get it. The Eagle just makes more sense. So I can easily say to get hte Manta, but if it were me, I would probably end up with the Eagle