PDA

View Full Version : F1 2007-2008 Silly Season

Wouter Melissen
11-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Ferrari: Kimi Raikonen, Felipe Massa
McLaren: Lewis Hamilton, Heiki Kovalainen?
BMW-Sauber: Nick Heidfeld, Rober Kubica
Renault: Giancarlo Fisichella?, Fernandon Alonso?
Williams: Nico Rosberg, Kazuki Nakajima
Red Bull: David Coulthard, Mark Webber
Honda: Jenson Button, Rubens Barrichello
Toyota: Jarno Trulli, Timo Glock
Toro Rosso: Sebastian Vettel, Sebastien Bourdais
Super Aguri: Takuma Sato?, Anthony Davidson?
Force India: Adrian Sutil, ?
Prodrive: ?, ?

Wouter Melissen
11-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Williams have just confirmed their 2008 line-up; Rosberg will partner Nakajima.

KFA-R
11-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Its good to see some new names here... Sebastien Bourdais will get a chance to proove his worth as a driver, it will be good to see... also Anthony Davidson in F1... its about time!

any word on prodrive? how is their development going? i live in a hole i know but they seem very quiet

jorismo
11-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Nice to see some new names there. I hope for a good season for Timo Glock, he did a good job last years (2005 Rookie of the Year in ChampCar, 2007 GP2 title). In my books he earned this seat, especially at a team as Toyota.

Sebastian Bourdais of course now has a lot of eyes on him due to his results in America. Of course this is a whole other league, so we'll see.

As for Alonso, I'm really curious were he is going to end. I wonder if Renault really wants him.

MTS
11-07-2007, 04:21 AM
Greetings from Athens, I am a new member!
About F1 I would like to see Bruno Senna and Kimi Raikkonen team-mates at Ferrari.

KFA-R
11-07-2007, 04:52 AM
About F1 I would like to see Bruno Senna and Kimi Raikkonen team-mates at Ferrari.

welcome!

i am probebly going to get laughed at but... is bruno senna any relation to the great man? or has he just got the best race car drivers sirname?

fisetdavid26
11-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Welcome! :)

welcome!

i am probebly going to get laughed at but... is bruno senna any relation to the great man? or has he just got the best race car drivers sirname?
You won't be laughed at, I was asking myself the same question. It's his nephew.

Lets Gekiga In
11-07-2007, 09:01 AM
You won't be laughed at, I was asking myself the same question. It's his nephew.
Yep, Ayrton has even talked about him before that if you thought he (Ayrton) was a good driver wait until you see his nephew Bruno. :) :) :)

Wouter Melissen
11-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Yep, Ayrton has even talked about him before that if you thought he (Ayrton) was a good driver wait until you see his nephew Bruno. :) :) :)

As far I have seen, he is not nearly as impressive as other drivers of his generation. Nowhere near the level of his uncle.

magracer
11-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Bruno may be good, but he hasn't had the results his uncle had when he was his age. Ayrton basically anihilated the competition in any series he competed, except in karting, where he never was world champion.

faksta
11-07-2007, 12:59 PM
any word on prodrive? how is their development going? i live in a hole i know but they seem very quiet

They are out of 2008 season, cause they couldn't make a deal with McLaren concerning providing them with chassis.
More about drivers of what I've read:
Firstly, Renault offers Alonso a seat for 2 years with $90 million salary. And his partner will be Nelson Piquet Jr. Thus, Fisichella is done ( :confused: ).

EDIT: Alonso should leave Renault next year having another young teammate :)

magracer
11-07-2007, 04:37 PM

Not true as long as Ron Dennis is not running the team... ;)

orne
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
It seems increasingly unlikely that Fisichella will stay at Renault. I see some very interesting pairings shaping up, Lewis vs Heikki and Alonso vs Piquet, those should be interesting(if they get confirmed).

At Williams, I'm predicting a Rosberg domination, I don't think Nakajima was the best choice but we never know.

PS: If Alonso gets a beating by Piquet then his career could be in problem ;)

fisetdavid26
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
You have no idea how much I wish that will happen!

fisetdavid26
11-07-2007, 04:50 PM
I hope that will happen. I never liked Alonso and his superficial personality...

Zytek_Fan
11-07-2007, 04:57 PM
It seems increasingly unlikely that Fisichella will stay at Renault. I see some very interesting pairings shaping up, Lewis vs Heikki and Alonso vs Piquet, those should be interesting(if they get confirmed).

At Williams, I'm predicting a Rosberg domination, I don't think Nakajima was the best choice but we never know.

Piquet is really pushing to get that race seat...

KFA-R
11-07-2007, 11:01 PM

:p oh good... well its in his blood... wait and see i guess

They are out of 2008 season, cause they couldn't make a deal with McLaren concerning providing them with chassis.
More about drivers of what I've read:
Firstly, Renault offers Alonso a seat for 2 years with $90 million salary. And his partner will be Nelson Piquet Jr. Thus, Fisichella is done ( :confused: ).

Thats a shame for Prodrive... what about all the rules and regs with that? isnt there stuff saying you cant pull out when you are this far in?

also, Piquet and Senna... next season looks good... on paper :D

these inner team races will be good to watch... I also would like to see Nelson come out and beat Alonso, it would be good for Piquet's career :D

Lets Gekiga In
11-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Bruno may be good, but he hasn't had the results his uncle had when he was his age. Ayrton basically anihilated the competition in any series he competed, except in karting, where he never was world champion.

Hey, it's just a direct quote from Ayrton himself. If you have a problem with it, it would be kind of hard to talk it over with the deceased.

go.pawel
11-08-2007, 02:39 AM
also Anthony Davidson in F1... its about time!
Uhmm... Davidson's already been SAG's race driver for the whole 2007 season :confused:

Thats a shame for Prodrive... what about all the rules and regs with that? isnt there stuff saying you cant pull out when you are this far in?

It's not them pulling out. Richards has been determined to participate in the 2008 season. The problem is that their plan from the very beginning was to be a client team, without developing their own chassis or engine, and recently there have been doubts about the legality of such a solution. Therefore they've been stopped from entering the next season.
Recently Richards was trying to make a deal with FIA, allowing him to enter mid-season, the first half of the year spent on developing his own chassis. But afaik he failed.

As for me, I'd like to see Sutil in McLaren. I think he's a really good driver, unfortunately oversahdowed by poor performance of his car. If Adrian went to McLaren, Kovalainen would drive in Renault, alongside Alonso, which I think would make a great duo. Also, from what I've heard, Ralf is working hard to convince Mallya and Mol to sign him as a driver for Force India for 2008. Seeing that Mallya's Kingfisher was a major sponsor for Toyota the last few years, Mallya is allegedly quite fond of acquiring a famous name, such as Schumacher, for his team.

Wouter Melissen
11-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Hey, it's just a direct quote from Ayrton himself. If you have a problem with it, it would be kind of hard to talk it over with the deceased.

Bruno Senna was 10 years old when his uncle died. I think Ayrton Senna's comments can not be considered as being too serious. It's the kind of thing an uncle would say about his 10 year old nephew. His recent racing results are a much clearer indication of his skills than Ayrton's compliments.

faksta
11-08-2007, 09:01 AM
By the way, it would be very pity if Davidson will stay in Super Aguri, as he did well past season in that s*itty car, and I wish a better career for him than to keep driving SA.

orne
11-08-2007, 10:14 AM
By the way, it would be very pity if Davidson will stay in Super Aguri, as he did well past season in that s*itty car, and I wish a better career for him than to keep driving SA.

I don't consider his season to be that good, he clearly beat Sato in qualifying but was outperformed in the races.

Kitdy
11-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, I just saw that Michael was back testing in F1 and I thought that it might be a good idea to create an all encompassing thread to keep track of the F1 silly season as opposed to creating a bunch of little threads. Hopefully, all of the little stories this way won't fall through the cracks.

Here are the results from today:

1. M. Schumacher Ferrari
2 L. Badoer Ferrari
3 P. de la Rosa McLaren
4 H. Kovalainen Renault
5 R. Kubica BMW
6 G. Paffett McLaren
7 K. Nakajima Williams
8 D. Coulthard Red Bull
9 J. Trulli Toyota
10 N. Heidfeld BMW
11 N. Rosberg Williams
12 F. Montagny Toyota
13 S. Vettel Scuderia Toro Rosso
14 A. Zuber Honda Bridgestone
15 S. Bourdais Scuderia Toro Rosso
16 A. Davidson Super Aguri
17 J. Rossiter Super Aguri
18 K. Chandhok Red Bull
19 G. van der Garde Force India F1
20 Roldan Rodriguez Force India F1

Here are some pictures form today:

1. Sebastien Bourdais
2. Super Aguri in interim livery
3. Force India
4. Force India logo closeup - note the clever incorporation of the Indian flag
5. Honda in clean white paint

Wouter Melissen
11-13-2007, 02:16 PM
I wonder if he was running light, or that he really is this good. If the reports are correct, this was his first outing in the 2007 car with the 2007 Bridgestone tires.

Lets Gekiga In
11-13-2007, 02:20 PM
Bruno Senna was 10 years old when his uncle died. I think Ayrton Senna's comments can not be considered as being too serious. It's the kind of thing an uncle would say about his 10 year old nephew. His recent racing results are a much clearer indication of his skills than Ayrton's compliments.
Don't most professional race car drivers start at a very young age? I mean didn't Ron Dennis notice the talent in Lewis Hamilton at a very young age?

fisetdavid26
11-13-2007, 02:42 PM
I wonder if he was running light, or that he really is this good. If the reports are correct, this was his first outing in the 2007 car with the 2007 Bridgestone tires.
Pretty impressive nonetheless. I'm really wondering what's gonna happen with him now, I was rather sure he wouldn't come back but now... I really don't know.

On a side note, I'd like to suggest renaming the thread to something less silly: 2007-2008 Formula 1 Season for example...

magracer
11-13-2007, 07:32 PM
On a side note, I'd like to suggest renaming the thread to something less silly: 2007-2008 Formula 1 Season for example...

hmmm, as you didn't use emoticons I guess you weren't trying to be sarcastical and really don't know what silly season means. Silly season refers to that period of time in which rumors start about drivers being contacted and or contracted by teams to secure thier services for next season. It's usually around august, but Alonso's situation within McLaren was so late in the season, that we are experiencing a sort of ¨el niņo¨ effect in F1. So, this thread is about the silly season, not the 2008 season, nor 2007 season.

If you were just being sarcastical, I just made an a$$ out of myself, but what the hell...

fisetdavid26
11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
hmmm, as you didn't use emoticons I guess you weren't trying to be sarcastical and really don't know what silly season means. Silly season refers to that period of time in which rumors start about drivers being contacted and or contracted by teams to secure thier services for next season. It's usually around august, but Alonso's situation within McLaren was so late in the season, that we are experiencing a sort of ¨el niņo¨ effect in F1. So, this thread is about the silly season, not the 2008 season, nor 2007 season.

If you were just being sarcastical, I just made an a$$ out of myself, but what the hell...
No, I wasn't sarcastic, I really didn't know what the 'Silly Season' was. Thanks for clearing things up! :)

go.pawel
11-15-2007, 06:47 AM
New names emerged on the list of drivers who'll test for Force India. After Klien, Liuzzi, Sutil, Rodriguez and van der Gaarde in Barcelona this week, the Jerez tests in December are to be performed by Montagny, Fisichella, Valles and Ralf Schumacher.

cmcpokey
11-15-2007, 02:02 PM
interesting with Ralf Going to Force India... he'll try anywhere for a seat won't he? Fisi as well...

Kitdy
11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
interesting with Ralf Going to Force India... he'll try anywhere for a seat won't he? Fisi as well...

The question is if they prove that they can run with the youngins - are they willing to take a huge pay cut to race with Force India? I also somehow doubt Force India is looking for veteran talent here - they probably want young kids - cheap, and full of potential. Maybe 1 veteran.

fpv_gtho
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Well theyve got Sutil already under contract, so by all means he fills the spot of the young charger. They'll still be looking at other young guys though just in case McLaren go for a big money offer for him. The veterans like Fisichella and Schumacher will still be looked at carefully by the team.

go.pawel
11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Meanwhile, Franck Montagny has been replaced by Kamui Kobayashi as Toyota's third driver.
Kobayashi, 21, is a product of the Toyota Young Drivers Programme (just like Kazuki Nakajima) and has been associated with the manufacturer since 2001. This year he was one of Toyota's test drivers and also competed in the Formula 3 Euroseries, where he currently stands 3rd.

faksta
11-16-2007, 02:24 AM
Meanwhile, Franck Montagny has been replaced by Kamui Kobayashi as Toyota's third driver.
Kobayashi, 21, is a product of the Toyota Young Drivers Programme (just like Kazuki Nakajima) and has been associated with the manufacturer since 2001. This year he was one of Toyota's test drivers and also competed in the Formula 3 Euroseries, where he currently stands 3rd.

I saw Kobayashi in one of the F3 races - wasn't impressing. He's too agressive, IMO.

Wouter Melissen
11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Christian Horner (Red Bull) believes Alonso will go to Renault. So that leaves just Renault and Honda as options for Alonso.

Wouter Melissen
11-19-2007, 02:15 AM
Timo Glock has just officially been confirmed by Toyota:

Toyota Motorsport GmbH can today confirm that Timo Glock will race for Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2008.

Timo, the reigning GP2 Series champion, has signed a multi-year contract and the team hopes an agreement can be reached with BMW Sauber to allow him to test at Jerez on December 4-6.

Chairman and Team Principal Tadashi Yamashina said: "It is with great pleasure that we confirm Timo Glock will race for Panasonic Toyota Racing in 2008. I am convinced Timo has the potential to help this team move forward and achieve its aims.

"Timo has great experience of motorsport in several different categories and he reinforced his reputation by winning the highly competitive GP2 Series, which we have already seen is fantastic preparation for Formula 1. He has demonstrated a fighting spirit and good race craft in GP2 so we believe he is the right man for the job."

Timo said: "It's a great feeling to be a Formula 1 race driver again and I am really looking forward to this new challenge. I have worked hard over the past few years to get this opportunity and I must say I am grateful to Panasonic Toyota Racing for having faith in me.

"From what I have seen of the team at the track I am confident we will be able to work well together to move forward. Even though I have not raced in Formula 1 since 2004, I have tested quite regularly so I expect it will take very little time for me to get back in the groove.

"I have been lucky enough to race and succeed in several different championships in my career but my goal has always been to become a full-time Formula 1 race driver. I believe this experience has made me stronger as a driver and as a person.

"Of course, to return to Formula 1 racing as GP2 Series champion is a real honour and we've all seen how well Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton have performed as champions so that is very encouraging. I hope I can also make a strong impression next season.

"Now I have achieved my goal of returning to Formula 1, my next target is to work towards making 2008 a successful season for myself and Panasonic Toyota Racing."

The 25-year-old German is, like his new team, relatively young but has a wealth of different experience behind him since taking his first steps into the world of motorsport as a 15-year-old in karts.

After just two years of kart racing he stepped up to single-seaters and enjoyed an impressive rise through the ranks to Formula 1, via ADAC Formula BMW and Formula 3. At just 22 he was a Grand Prix racer with an unexpected Jordan debut in Canada in 2004, where he joined an exclusive list of drivers to score points in their first race, thanks to his seventh place.

Three more races followed at the end of the season before a switch to the United States for 2005, where he marked himself out as a rising star by taking Rookie of the Year honours, with a best finish of second, coincidentally also in Montreal.

However, the lure of Formula 1 was too great and he returned to prove his credentials in GP2. That looked a wise move this year when he came out on top of a tough title battle and he follows previous champions Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton into a full-time Formula 1 race drive.

Timo Glock Profile

Nationality: German

Born: 18 March 1982 - Lindenfels, Germany

Marital status: Single

Height: 1.69m

Weight: 64kg

Hobbies: Karting, fitness

GP debut Canada 2004

GPs started 4

Wins 0

Pole positions 0

Points 2

Best championship result 19th (2004)

1998: Began his motorsport career aged 15, racing in karts.

2000: ADAC Formula BMW Junior Cup: 1st

2001: ADAC Formula BMW: 1st

2002: German Formula 3 Championship: 3rd (Rookie of the Year)

2003: Formula 3 Euro Series: 5th (3 wins)

2004: Formula 1 - Jordan: Test driver/race driver

2005: Champ Car World Series: 8th (Rookie of the Year)

2006: GP2 Series: 4th (2 wins)

2007: GP2 Series: 1st (5 wins)

Formula 1 - BMW Sauber: Test driver

Zytek_Fan
11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Good. Maybe Toyota can give him a capable car.

But for 2008: BMW SAUBER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!! :D

Kitdy
11-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Alonso at Renault by this week?

From GPUpdate.net (http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/20/briatore-hints-at-alonso-decision-this-week/):

Briatore hints at Alonso decision this week
20 November 2007

Renault boss Flavio Briatore says a decision will be taken on whether Fernando Alonso rejoins his outfit for 2008 in the next few days. He also claimed there is currently a 60 per cent chance of it all coming off.

"Renault will definitely have different drivers next year," Briatore told the ANSA news agency in Italy. "There's about a 60 per cent chance Alonso will be with us."

"We have an advantage in taking him because we know him well," Briatore added. "By the end of this week we should have a decision."

"Alonso knows us well as human beings and that's important," he went on. "The last season has been difficult for him. It may have even changed his personality. We'll talk, I want to see where he wants to go. At McLaren he arrived as the world champion and he was put in competition against a rookie driver: that way the relationship inside a team is put in danger. You can't have two primadonnas inside a team. You need to get behind one of the drivers."

"In this phase he is not thinking of the money. He is thinking of everything except money," Briatore concluded.

fpv_gtho
11-19-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm personally expecting a decision to be made once Renault are sorted out over their case of spying. If they get the same penalty as McLaren, i dont think too many people are expecting Renault to stick around.

Zytek_Fan
11-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm personally expecting a decision to be made once Renault are sorted out over their case of spying. If they get the same penalty as McLaren, i dont think too many people are expecting Renault to stick around.

Thus, the FIA can't enforce a penalty like that, then the resulting fine would make McLaren's unfair, and make the FIA look worse than it does now.

The FIA has gotten themselves into a mighty predicament.

Matra et Alpine
11-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Thus, the FIA can't enforce a penalty like that, then the resulting fine would make McLaren's unfair, and make the FIA look worse than it does now..
Not if you consider McLaren's "fine" to be set in relation to what they spend or can afford.
Just like lawsuits in the courts systems :)

So they could "fine" Renault only a few million -- or even thousands given their abysmal performance this year :)

Kitdy
11-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Slick tires to return in 2009? Testing with slicks begins next week.

From GP Update.com (http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/11/21/slicks-to-return-next-month/):

Slicks to return next month
21 November 2007

Next week Formula 1 teams will be back in action at Jerez in the South of Spain. Bridgestone will supply every team with three sets of slick tyres to test with these tyres. Slicks might be introduced again in Formula One as soon as 2009.

A Bridgestone spokesperson told GPUpdate.net: "Bridgestone are supplying these slicks as a response to a request from the teams, as the teams want to gain data as they look to the 2009 season. It is too early for Bridgestone to comment on our tyre range for the 2009 season, however we are always available to discuss ideas with the teams and the FIA."

Zytek_Fan
11-21-2007, 11:50 PM
Renault has told Alonso sign a 3 year contract or no drive.

Kitdy
11-22-2007, 01:22 AM
Renault has told Alonso sign a 3 year contract or no drive.

And that's from the big boss Mr. Ghosn himself.

fpv_gtho
11-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Well 3 year contracts arent what they seem anymore these days. It would probably eventuate to 2 years fixed on certain conditions (mainly pay, sponsor commitments) then maybe the 3rd would be an option year with performance clauses and other things for Alonso to either get more money out of Renault, or Renault to have an excuse not to pay so much.

go.pawel
11-26-2007, 12:49 AM
Ralf expressed his interest in filling in the McLaren seat left by Alonso :D He said he was confident that he can win races for McLaren, it's only a matter of contacting him. :D

Zytek_Fan
11-26-2007, 01:01 AM
Ralf expressed his interest in filling in the McLaren seat left by Alonso :D He said he was confident that he can win races for McLaren, it's only a matter of contacting him. :D

ahahaha I just fell out of my chair laughing :p

Wouter Melissen
11-26-2007, 01:16 AM
He is just trying to say that a monkey can win races in a McLaren.

Daz27
11-26-2007, 01:17 AM
...its a shame that a monkey probably drives consistantly better than Ralfie does on any given day...

henk4
11-26-2007, 01:56 AM
He is just trying to say that a monkey can win races in a McLaren.

is Dennis going to drive next year????

Wouter Melissen
11-26-2007, 02:13 AM
is Dennis going to drive next year????

That wasn't even remotely funny.

faksta
12-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Just heard that Alonso signed a contract with Honda to fill in Barrichello's place.

Jack_Bauer
12-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Just heard that Alonso signed a contract with Honda to fill in Barrichello's place.

There was a bit of tabloid speculation (ie a completely made-up story) in Germany on Thursday that Alonso had been at Honda for talks and to have a seat fitting etc.

Honda swiftly came out to deny the rumours...

Fernando Alonso has not been to visit Honda's factory for a seat-fitting or any other reason, according to the Brackley-based team.

Reports emerged in the German press on Thursday claiming that Alonso was seen visiting Honda's factory earlier this week.

The Bild even reported that the Spaniard had a seat-fitting with the team, while Rubens Barrichello would be heading to Super Aguri later this week for a seat-fitting with Honda's junior team.

However, Honda have been quick to deny the reports, saying there's no room at the team for Alonso as they already have Barrichello and Jenson Button on their payroll for next season.

"Fernando has not visited our factory, and Honda Racing confirmed their drivers for the 2008 season back in July," a team spokesperson told Autosport.

Alonso is still without a race-seat for next season although it is thought the Spaniard will eventually agree terms to return to Renault.

fpv_gtho
12-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd strongly think Renault, Red Bull and even Toyota were higher on Alonso's list than Honda for next year.

torque55
12-02-2007, 06:49 AM
so where is alonso going. he is causing too much confusion. renault made an offer for 3 years, and it seems that he dosent want to commit for the entire period. whats wrong with him ?
maybe he ought to retire :rolleyes:

on the other hand he could be lurred to toyota, if they give him enough money, and eventually his motivation will be entirley drained.

fpv_gtho
12-02-2007, 07:49 AM
Well theres strong rumours Alonso is tied to Ferrari for 2009 for some reason. Ferrari themselves moved quickly to remove speculation by re-signing Massa until 2010, although Raikkonen could go for 2009. Theres also thought that there'll be more seats available in 2009 than there has been this year, namely BMW or even Red Bull, Honda and Toyota who could be in a much stronger position than they are for 2008.

Daz27
12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Toyota F1 has to be THE biggest tax dodge in history, how else can they blow soooo much money for such paltry results? Have they even got a podium yet? What is it now, 6 years since entering F1???

go.pawel
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
Have they even got a podium yet? What is it now, 6 years since entering F1???

Yes, it's been six years now. And yes, they got a podium - 6 podiums to be precise (and 2 pole positions). Which doesn't change the fact that it's a lousy result for a team with supposedly the biggest budget in F1 and backed by the biggest car producer in the world.

Wouter Melissen
12-03-2007, 03:19 AM
Yes, it's been six years now. And yes, they got a podium - 6 podiums to be precise (and 2 pole positions). Which doesn't change the fact that it's a lousy result for a team with supposedly the biggest budget in F1 and backed by the biggest car producer in the world.

Actually, it is quite comforting to know that money is not the ultimate solution.

fpv_gtho
12-03-2007, 03:36 AM
Toyota have massively underperformed, but they did make a good effort in 2005 and should have finished 3rd in the WCC. IIRC, that year they scored all but one of their podiums with the other being Australia '06. '05 they started the year very strong and maintained being at the head of the midfield through the year, and were in a good position to win at Spa.

They threw that all away by switching to Bridgestones in 2006 when the car was designed for Michelins.

Kitdy
12-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Not really on topic, but here's a pic of Kimi and his rather attractive wife that I thought needed to be shared, and I can think of no better place than here to post it.

Look at the goofy look on his face! Classic.

Rockefella
12-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Not really on topic, but here's a pic of Kimi and his rather attractive wife that I thought needed to be shared, and I can think of no better place than here to post it.

Look at the goofy look on his face! Classic.

Kimi's a pimp.

I bet their dinner-time conversations are intense though.

Kitdy
12-11-2007, 03:29 AM
Kimi's a pimp.

I bet their dinner-time conversations are intense though.

What would they talk about? Kimi has no soul. He is just a vacuum of dead space that happened to take a human form and enjoys triple distilled vodka.

Wife: "How was your day, Kimi?"

Kimi: "It was ok."

Then they'd sit in silence till they both got tanked and had crazy animal sex.

Rockefella
12-11-2007, 03:42 AM
What would they talk about? Kimi has no soul. He is just a vacuum of dead space that happened to take a human form and enjoys triple distilled vodka.

Wife: "How was your day, Kimi?"

Kimi: "It was ok."

Like I said, intense.

go.pawel
12-11-2007, 03:51 AM
While we're on this subject: Felipe Massa got married on November 30. Unfortunately I can't find a good picture.

henk4
12-11-2007, 04:42 AM
While we're on this subject: Felipe Massa got married on November 30. Unfortunately I can't find a good picture.

a very silly season indeed....

Kitdy
12-11-2007, 12:22 PM

What are the odds she is smoking hot? High I think.

On the same topic, Ron Denis is a pimp. His wife is like 20 years younger than he.

Jack_Bauer
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
The F1 couple that never fails to amaze/disgust me is Jean Todt and Michelle Yeoh. *shudders*

http://clovetwo.com/archives/2007/10/7/celebstop/p4todt.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/131853632_d8f4a30c82.jpg
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/74263042.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1935A6DEC864C2BC5D9F97EEC314261D85C 284831B75F48EF45

magracer
12-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Silly it is, so let's continue:

Helio Castroneves dumps girlfriend for Dancing With The Stars dance partner:

Racing News: IRL Racer, Dancing With The Stars Champ Ditches Wife for Dance Partner (http://jalopnik.com/cars/racing-news/irl-racer-dancing-with-the-stars-champ-ditches-wife-for-dance-partner-332374.php)

Massa's wife, not too shabby actually:

Fotogalerias (http://www.elpais.com/fotogaleria/Boda/Felipe/Massa/4738-3/elpgal/)

Zytek_Fan
12-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Helio is starting to make his rounds in the US tabloids now :p

Kitdy
12-19-2007, 11:59 PM
More cost-cutting initiatives from the FIA are coming.

From Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/19/fia-spins-its-wheels-with-even-i-more-i-f1-regulations/):

The World Motor Sport Council of the FIA has approved yet another array of restrictions on Formula One development in a bid to further reduce costs in the top-level racing series. Following the imposition of a 10-year freeze on engine development and restrictions on aerodynamic testing, the new regulations cover a broad spectrum of areas, including design, manufacturing, testing, development of suspension, brakes and hydraulics, bodywork, weight distribution, on-track testing and personnel. More details are expected to be revealed after discussions take place with the teams at a meeting scheduled for mid-January.

Although the stated aim of the tighter regulations is to reduce enormous costs of operating a Formula One racing team, the restrictions put F1 in danger of losing its status as the pinnacle of motor racing and further reduce the already-debatable benefit F1 development has on production road cars.

As this writer expressed in a recent discussion with an FIA official, the goal of reducing costs would be better served if the FIA took a page out of the playbooks of other top-level sports: In order to cap spending in the sport, actually cap spending. The FIA should impose a cap on spending, not unlike a major-league salary cap, rather than searching for more round-about ways of restricting development in which the engineers will invariably find new loop-holes.

It seems as though that if they really wanted to cut costs, they would institute a salary cap as well as doing this. SO they are holding out for some reason or another.

faksta
12-20-2007, 06:56 AM
What does it mean? Drivers and personnel are signed for 10 years? The sponsors have their contracts for 10 years, too? :D Blah-blah-blah...
Damn, it was interesting in case of engines, but I think THIS is too much. Will the personnel be allowed to change their socks during these ten years?

Kitdy
12-22-2007, 11:09 PM
The FIA has just changed the qualifying format after it had been tossed around for a few months.

Q1 will now last 20 minutes, Q2 15 minutes, and Q3 10 minutes.

Wouter Melissen
12-23-2007, 12:21 AM
The FIA has just changed the qualifying format after it had been tossed around for a few months.

Q1 will now last 20 minutes, Q2 15 minutes, and Q3 10 minutes.

That makes perfect sense. No more silly fuel burning in Q3.

ringle
12-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Since the Title says "Silly Season".....

What about a total overhaul of the FIA reg's. One idea could be to have cars start a new race in reverse order of finish from the previous race. So the winner of the Australian GP would start at the back of the grid for the next race and the last place finisher would be the pole sitter, with all other cars sitting in reverse order of finish from where they were in the last race. This would create a lot of passing and undoubtedly more interest in race strategy etc. What is now qualifying could be used as testing time and would save $$$$ for all teams. (Teams would also be getting more usable data for the race as the conditions the two days prior to the race are much more similiar than testing weeks or even months in advance of going to a circuit.) Thinking on the fly would now be at premium and all teams may even have a chance to win a race or two. As it stands now over the course of any one year perhaps only 2 or 3 teams will win a race. Some years 2 or 3 teams don't even score any points at all! I think the cream would still rise to the top and the fans would get a real show.

Matra et Alpine
12-23-2007, 11:56 AM
Sorry, ringle, but any system which starts the fastest driver at the back is just asking for accidents and barging. Could you imagine Monaco :( Great "spectacle" and possibly "entertainment" for those who think crashes make for sport. But not racing.

ringle
12-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Perhaps so....but truly talented drivers would find their way thru intelligently as has been done in the past when for some reason a front runner stalls on the grid or has a problem in qualifying. Many great drives and even more tremendous passes by great drivers have made for some terrific moments in F1 when they are coming up thru the field. (Monaco may be the exception, and many drivers have had to bite their lip there even under the current rules there.) It works very well in some other types of auto racing.

MS's final race was a very good example of talent showing through as he put on a driving clinic (with the emphasis on DRIVING)!

In fact MS's entire final year (Monaco included, with his bone-headed qualifying move) made his drives (including his race drive at Monaco) proof that it can work.

fpv_gtho
12-23-2007, 05:33 PM
The better drivers probably would make it through, but i think what Matra was getting at was reverse grid racing more often than not showcases the lower end of the talent pool, rather than the higher end.

ringle
12-23-2007, 08:45 PM
The way F1 is now, seemingly there may as well be only 2 or 3 teams on the grid, b/c that's about the total which have a chance to win a GP. Barring rain or a la the US GP of a couple years back, do any of the back markers stand a chance of seeing the podium? What is most common is that by half distance blue flags are flapping in the wind. (To me that showcases nothing...about any of the teams!) When MS and Ferrari were winning 85% + of the races in a season, almost every other team was a lap down by the end of the race.
In this era the driver can only marginally effect a positive outcome (although he can still provide a great input into a negative performance.) Look at how proven race winners such as Ruebens B. & Ralph S. & David C. & Fernando A. have no chance of winning in mid-pack cars.
Let F1 put some more emphasis on the "Driving" portrion of a WDC!
What we have now is an Engineering World Championship.
I say BMW should rig up one of their prototype unmanned vehicles and see how it fairs in testing and qualifying!

Wouter Melissen
12-24-2007, 12:36 AM
The way F1 is now, seemingly there may as well be only 2 or 3 teams on the grid, b/c that's about the total which have a chance to win a GP. Barring rain or a la the US GP of a couple years back, do any of the back markers stand a chance of seeing the podium? What is most common is that by half distance blue flags are flapping in the wind. (To me that showcases nothing...about any of the teams!) When MS and Ferrari were winning 85% + of the races in a season, almost every other team was a lap down by the end of the race.
In this era the driver can only marginally effect a positive outcome (although he can still provide a great input into a negative performance.) Look at how proven race winners such as Ruebens B. & Ralph S. & David C. & Fernando A. have no chance of winning in mid-pack cars.
Let F1 put some more emphasis on the "Driving" portrion of a WDC!
What we have now is an Engineering World Championship.
I say BMW should rig up one of their prototype unmanned vehicles and see how it fairs in testing and qualifying!

In the first F1 championship all races were won by the same car. This is the nature of motor racing and not so much the problem of F1 currently. Drivers and cars need to win on their own merit and not because the quicker drivers were forced to start at the back. It would also to some absolutely dreadful qualifying sessions. Being the fastest on Saturday should be rewarded, not punished.

As for other cars not able to win, I expect BMW and Renault to step back up to the level of Ferrari and McLaren in 2008 and Honda to join them in 2009. It can become a very interesting period.

ringle
12-25-2007, 08:06 AM
I expect BMW and Renault to step back up to the level of Ferrari and McLaren in 2008 and Honda to join them in 2009. It can become a very interesting period.

With the engine freeze I expect to see Ferrari at the top for the next 10 years. If anything F1 will probably become less and less competitive. I also think that some of the bottom dwellers will fold up tent and move out of the sport. It is near impossible for an independent team to compete competitively under the current rules. F1 will equal Ferrari One.

Wouter Melissen
12-25-2007, 08:12 AM
With the engine freeze I expect to see Ferrari at the top for the next 10 years. If anything F1 will probably become less and less competitive. I also think that some of the bottom dwellers will fold up tent and move out of the sport. It is near impossible for an independent team to compete competitively under the current rules. F1 will equal Ferrari One.

I strongly doubt the engine is Ferrari's biggest asset. Spyker ran the exact same engine ...

fpv_gtho
12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
The engines are VERY level these days. Especially with the 19K RPM rev limit. Ferrari are very likely to stay at the top for a while, but not because they might have the best engine. They simply have the resources/talent, the right attitude and plenty of money to succeed in F1.

ringle
12-26-2007, 07:41 AM
I strongly doubt the engine is Ferrari's biggest asset. Spyker ran the exact same engine ...
Do you honestly beleive that any of the "customer" engines from any of the manufactoring teams are equivelent to what the supplying team runs? Not likely...perhaps 95-98% but not exactly the same. It would be interesting to get dyno #'s from all the teams engines.
If Spyker indeed had the exact same engine they would most certainly be a 4th to 8th place team rather than a 10th or 11th place team.
Engine certainly isn't everything (as chasis, aero, tires, set-up, driver, etc. play a big part) but it is still what makes a car go fast. I can be very confident that any one of the top drivers would fail miserably if driving a Spyker (even bringing all their support staff along...engineers etc.) Inversely, probably 75% of F1 drivers would be a winner if they were put in the Ferrari seat next year.

ringle
12-26-2007, 07:44 AM
They simply have the resources/talent, the right attitude and plenty of money to succeed in F1.

Toyota, Honda, Williams, and BMW are clear examples of why you need something more than just what's stated above.

Wouter Melissen
12-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Toyota, Honda, Williams, and BMW are clear examples of why you need something more than just what's stated above.

What do you mean with Williams and BMW? Both teams have performed very well in the last couple of seasons.

JayC
12-26-2007, 09:20 AM
What do you mean with Williams and BMW? Both teams have performed very well in the last couple of seasons.
They have progressed, but they were still second tier compared to McLaren and Ferrari.

Wouter Melissen
12-26-2007, 09:39 AM
They have progressed, but they were still second tier compared to McLaren and Ferrari.

That's hardly the point. BMW and Williams have always performed to expectation or better. You can not expect the independent Williams team to win races.

JayC
12-26-2007, 09:47 AM
That's hardly the point. BMW and Williams have always performed to expectation or better. You can not expect the independent Williams team to win races.
To say that they performed very well even though they were still not even that close to top tier is a huge overstatement.

Wouter Melissen
12-26-2007, 10:03 AM
To say that they performed very well even though they were still not even that close to top tier is a huge overstatement.

You still don't get it. For a team like Williams it is impossible to win races today. So clinching a podium here and there is an exceptional performance from them. You can not expect a guy with one leg to run the 100 yard dash in under 10 seconds.

JayC
12-26-2007, 10:06 AM
You still don't get it. For a team like Williams it is impossible to win races today. So clinching a podium here and there is an exceptional performance from them. You can not expect a guy with one leg to run the 100 yard dash in under 10 seconds.
You still don't get it. You claimed BMW to be doing "very well" too when they clearly still weren't in the same league as McLaren and Ferrari.

Also, did I ever say Williams was doing terrible? No, I didn't. All I said is that they've progressed but they (both BMW and Williams) were no match for Ferrari or McLaren.

fpv_gtho
12-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Do you honestly beleive that any of the "customer" engines from any of the manufactoring teams are equivelent to what the supplying team runs? Not likely...perhaps 95-98% but not exactly the same. It would be interesting to get dyno #'s from all the teams engines.
If Spyker indeed had the exact same engine they would most certainly be a 4th to 8th place team rather than a 10th or 11th place team.
Engine certainly isn't everything (as chasis, aero, tires, set-up, driver, etc. play a big part) but it is still what makes a car go fast. I can be very confident that any one of the top drivers would fail miserably if driving a Spyker (even bringing all their support staff along...engineers etc.) Inversely, probably 75% of F1 drivers would be a winner if they were put in the Ferrari seat next year.

Youre seriously overstating the importance of the engines for modern day F1. Spyker are at the end of the grid because their car has recieved very little development since 2003. Every year since then, its only been modified enough to pass any new regulations as Jordan/Midland/Spyker have always had financial problems, and usually sold the team off to the next lacky in the middle of development. Development that theyve probably been stalling until the next lot of bank cheques are secure. The Spyker B spec this year was probably modified as much as some of their supposedly "brand new" cars from the past few years.

Toyota and Honda dont have the right attitude. Williams doesnt have the budget, and BMW are still building and currently are just lacking the last touch in all areas.

ptclaus98
12-26-2007, 08:57 PM
Since the Title says "Silly Season".....

What about a total overhaul of the FIA reg's. One idea could be to have cars start a new race in reverse order of finish from the previous race. So the winner of the Australian GP would start at the back of the grid for the next race and the last place finisher would be the pole sitter, with all other cars sitting in reverse order of finish from where they were in the last race. This would create a lot of passing and undoubtedly more interest in race strategy etc. What is now qualifying could be used as testing time and would save $$$$ for all teams. (Teams would also be getting more usable data for the race as the conditions the two days prior to the race are much more similiar than testing weeks or even months in advance of going to a circuit.) Thinking on the fly would now be at premium and all teams may even have a chance to win a race or two. As it stands now over the course of any one year perhaps only 2 or 3 teams will win a race. Some years 2 or 3 teams don't even score any points at all! I think the cream would still rise to the top and the fans would get a real show.
That is, without a doubt, a terrible, terrible idea.

ringle
12-27-2007, 07:13 AM
You can not expect a guy with one leg to run the 100 yard dash in under 10 seconds.
This probably sums up F1's present situation best....2 two-legged teams, 2 one-legged teams, and 7 double amputees! (Oh, and one invisible runner...the non-starter ProDrive.)

For me this does not make for a competitive series, no matter how much people wish it would.

F1 needs a major shake up or it will self destruct.

(Perhaps Audi should get involved and add some competitiveness.)

Wouter Melissen
12-27-2007, 07:20 AM
This probably sums up F1's present situation best....2 two-legged teams, 2 one-legged teams, and 7 double amputees! (Oh, and one invisible runner...the non-starter ProDrive.)

For me this does not make for a competitive series, no matter how much people wish it would.

F1 needs a major shake up or it will self destruct.

(Perhaps Audi should get involved and add some competitiveness.)

BMW and Renault will have two legs sooner than you seem to think. Honda also has better prospects now with some proper management. You all seem to have forgotten Ferrari's performance in 2005 and McLaren's in 2006. Things change quickly in F1.

ringle
12-27-2007, 07:32 AM
On to better and brighter things, here's my Constuctor's Point prediction for 2008.

Ferrari: 210
McLaren: 148 (F1 to impose a 20 point penalty, so net 128) Bernie and Max hate Dennis.)
BMW-Sauber: 144
Renault: 62
Williams: 46
Red Bull: 32
Honda: 24
Toyota: 24
Toro Rosso: 12
Super Aguri: 0
Force India: 0
Prodrive: ?

Wouter Melissen
12-27-2007, 07:48 AM
(F1 to impose a 20 point penalty, so net 128) Bernie and Max hate Dennis.)

Uhm, there were three components on the 2008 McLaren that were straight from the Stepney file and had to be removed. The suggested penalty would be so low because Bernie and Max like F1.

ringle
12-27-2007, 07:51 AM
If they impose too high a penalty, the results of the constructors championship will be a forgone conclusion. :D

ringle
12-27-2007, 07:55 AM
My prediction for surprise driver of the year is Heiki Kovalainen, now that he will be in a competitive seat.

WDC

1. Massa
2. Kimi
3. Kovalainen
4. Hamilton

go.pawel
12-31-2007, 07:09 AM
So, it's the last day of the year and the only race driver that still needs to be announced is the occupant of Force India's second seat. It is said that the announcement will take place January 11 in Mumbai. The strongest runners are: Klien, Liuzzi, Fisichella and Roldan Rodriguez. I'd love to see Liuzzi or Klien get the place, but I guess Fisichella will be the winner. What are your predictions?

henk4
12-31-2007, 08:11 AM
So, it's the last day of the year and the only race driver that still needs to be announced is the occupant of Force India's second seat. It is said that the announcement will take place January 11 in Mumbai. The strongest runners are: Klien, Liuzzi, Fisichella and Roldan Rodriguez. I'd love to see Liuzzi or Klien get the place, but I guess Fisichella will be the winner. What are your predictions?

Osama Bin Laden

go.pawel
12-31-2007, 09:45 AM
Osama Bin Laden

Did he also test for Force India? Must have been a late joiner then. Which series did he compete in earlier?

henk4
12-31-2007, 10:13 AM
Did he also test for Force India? Must have been a late joiner then. Which series did he compete in earlier?

Formula one, the Saudi Williams team....

cmcpokey
12-31-2007, 10:31 AM
Formula one, the Saudi Williams team....

that car had some explosive performance, unfortunately it had a tendency to injure it's drivers.

henk4
12-31-2007, 01:43 PM
that car had some explosive performance, unfortunately it had a tendency to injure it's drivers.

no, Alan Jones won the world title.....

Kitdy
12-31-2007, 05:14 PM
Toyota team principle Tadashi Yamashina has revealed in his annual report that his higher ups at ToMoCo have given Toyota's F1 racing program until 2010 to get better results.

Source (http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/31/toyota-hq-gives-until-2010-to-improve-f1-team/)

ringle
01-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Toyota team principle Tadashi Yamashina has revealed in his annual report that his higher ups at ToMoCo have given Toyota's F1 racing program until 2010 to get better results.

I suppose this can only mean that the Toyota F1 team will be sold in the next 2-3 years, seeing how they cannot build a competitive race car.

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Word on the street is that Giancarlo Fishicella will be confirmed as Force India's second driver alongside Adrian Sutil and that Tonio Liuzzi will be their test driver - all this is expected to be announced Thursday.

go.pawel
01-10-2008, 02:26 PM
The silly season isn't quite over yet. Todaywe got to know the name of Force India's drivers (Fisichella, Sutil, Liuzzi), but there's another news: Wurz is back!
Despite announcing his retirement from racing last October, Alex has been signed by Honda as their third driver. Interesting - did he simply want to get out of Williams? Or maybe he decided that he feels better as a test driver, than a race one. Whichever is true, it's certainly good news for Honda. After all, Wurz has always been regarded as one of the best test drivers.

fpv_gtho
01-10-2008, 06:24 PM
I wonder if Mallya will be able to re-light the fire under Fisichella's backside, after it was seemingly extinguished by Alonso.

JorisP
01-13-2008, 11:39 AM
I wonder if Mallya will be able to re-light the fire under Fisichella's backside, after it was seemingly extinguished by Alonso.

I cannot understand anyone still wants Fisico. Even with all his experience, he's allways running behind the place his car ought to be. :rolleyes:

henk4
01-13-2008, 11:44 AM
he's allways running behind the place his car ought to be. :rolleyes:

he is going to have serious problems to achieve that in the Spyker....

Kitdy
01-16-2008, 04:29 PM
The EU has called on the FIA to introduce greener practices in F1. From Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/16/eu-calls-on-f1-to-switch-to-four-cylinders-bio-fuels-and-hybrid/):

The European Parliament has called for Formula One to adopt more environmentally-friendly engine alternatives, and the FIA seems to be all for it.

The CARS 21 report, passed with 607 EU legislators in favor, 76 against and 14 abstentions, praised the FIA's actions to make F1 greener, but called on the sanctioning body to do more. The report concluded by calling on the FIA to revise its formula to include "environmentally friendly technologies like bio-fuels, four-cylinder engines or hybrid". FIA president Max Mosley, who has been vocal in his desire to make F1 greener, subsequently issued a statement supporting the EU report.

Several racing series - including A1GP, ALMS, Champ Cars and IndyCars - are now running on bio-fuels, and Formula One has been toying with electric hybrid regenerative braking technologies. As we reported earlier, the moratorium on engine development in F1 was shortened from ten years to five, and the FIA is preparing to launch a new engine formula within the next couple of years. If regulatory bodies like the EU and the FIA get their way, F1 cars in a few years could be powered by four-cylinder electric-ethanol hybrids.

Though I can't stop thinking this is kind of lame, I really think that F1 could have been more of an industry leader with this sort of technology had they introduced these standards years ago. I think that it is somewhat depressing that F1 didn't take the initiative earlier and that instead road car technology is being transfered to F1 cars. F1 is supposed to be introducing new technology for the street - but I guess it has been quite a long time since this has been true. I guess the last major things that were form F1 to the street were paddle shifting and electronic stability control (not sure about the electronic part).

I can imagine a lot of manufactures probably wanting this as then they can claim that F1 is helping increase green technology and setting new standards for road cars.

Kitdy
01-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Word form Max Mosley is that there will be a budget cap in 2009. The cap however will not apply to engines, driver wages, team principal wages and marketing costs.

Kitdy
02-20-2008, 07:13 PM
Fernando Alonso is making a reported $46 million dollars this year, 1 million more than Kimi.