PDA

View Full Version : Rippling Bumper

tallguynate
11-17-2007, 07:38 PM
I just recently purchased a brand new Ford Escape. My fiancee and I were traveling back to my hometown; she was driving the escape and I was driving my old car which I was selling to a friend.

While driving behind the escape on the interstate I noticed that the rear bumper had a rippling effect across its face from what must have been air being forced up inside. I was a little concerned because I would have thought it was aerodynamically engineered for the air to flow around the bumper. Am I right to be concerned or is this natural?

baddabang
11-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Don't be concerned. It's a Ford.

tallguynate
11-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the sarcasm. :rolleyes:

culver
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I would take a look and make sure all the bumper cover (the actual bumper is under the plastic) mounts are all in good shape. It is possible the care was damaged at teh dealership. I have never observed this when I've driven behind Escapes on the freeway.

You are right to ignor the second poster as Ford's reliability is actually quite good.

Vindesh17
11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Ford's reliability is actually quite good.

Not in north america.

Bob
11-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Not in north america.Really? They were ranked first in initial quality in NA this year, and while Toyota's been falling in reliability rankings, Ford's been rising.

culver
11-17-2007, 11:03 PM
Not in north america.

Check your facts. Even Consumer Reports thinks Ford's quality is generally good.

The_Canuck
11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Consumer reports =/= facts.

johnnynumfiv
11-18-2007, 08:56 AM
Fords usually rust in one or two years here in Massachusetts. Every bolt breaks and most clips are rotted.

About the bumper, make sure all the clips on the bottom of the cover are attached. They are usually push clips or 10mm bolts on extensions coming off the cover(just did one on the mercury version, but I can't remember exactly). The rippling could be something in the paint you are seeing also, ford's usually have TERRIBLE paint jobs with a lot of orange peel.

I'd just drive it, it shouldn't hurt anything as the paint is quite flexible and wont be damaged.

tallguynate
11-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll go check underneath.

culver
11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Fords usually rust in one or two years here in Massachusetts. Every bolt breaks and most clips are rotted.

About the bumper, make sure all the clips on the bottom of the cover are attached. They are usually push clips or 10mm bolts on extensions coming off the cover(just did one on the mercury version, but I can't remember exactly). The rippling could be something in the paint you are seeing also, ford's usually have TERRIBLE paint jobs with a lot of orange peel.

I'd just drive it, it shouldn't hurt anything as the paint is quite flexible and wont be damaged.

Based on my last trip to Mass it seems that all cars are rusting in one or two years!

johnnynumfiv
11-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Based on my last trip to Mass it seems that all cars are rusting in one or two years!

Fords and GMs love to rot. We had a 2004 chevy silverado in, the doors were starting to rot out.:eek:

NSXType-R
11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that this happened to a Ford.

You better check it out.

Any bumper moving about should be checked out. I dunno about you, but my bumper doesn't move. :D

linhely
05-20-2011, 01:52 AM
About the bumper, make sure all the clips on the bottom of the cover are attached. They are usually push clips or 10mm bolts on extensions coming off the cover.