PDA

View Full Version : Re-inventing Lotus

Filovirus
12-11-2007, 12:08 PM
This is an article I spoted on Car & Driver:

Having attracted our attention with a smattering of brand-new variants of the Elise and Exige S at the 2007 L.A. auto show, Lotus’s affable chief vehicle engineer, Roger Becker, gave us a rare glimpse into the short- and long-term future of one of our favorite purveyors of sporty automobiles.

“Project Eagle”
In late 2008 or early 2009, Lotus will introduce a coupe that Becker calls “Project Eagle.” With two-plus-two or two-plus-zero seating and a V-6 engine, Project Eagle (we love the name—please, please, please don’t change it, Lotus) will represent the next rung up on the ladder from the Elise/Exige S. Becker did not say where the engine will be located, although we expect it will be behind the driver, in spite of the difficulties of packaging two-plus-two seating in a rear- or mid-engine car. Lotus did say, however, that the car would have a six-year life cycle before a full model change.

2011 Esprit
Two years after Project Eagle, we’ll see the long-awaited Esprit replacement, which will use Project Eagle’s platform while wearing “a whole new body.” Lotus would not divulge any powertrain details on this one, but we expect it to be a really fast, V-8–powered, two-seat, mid-engine sexpot, as was the last Esprit sold here in 2004. In other words, it should offer Ferrari F430 coupe and Lamborghini Gallardo coupe levels of performance without the $200,000 price tag.

New Elise/Exige
In 2012, Lotus will introduce a redesigned version of the beloved Elise/Exige, “a car that will go on forever,” according to Becker. Other than saying it would continue being a featherweight with a mid-mounted four-cylinder engine, he would not elaborate further. No worries. As long as we know it’ll “go on forever,” we’re happy.

werty
12-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Who else thought they saw Reventon in the title:D

NSXType-R
12-11-2007, 02:16 PM
Wow, seems like a good game plan for the future. I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store.

scottie300z
12-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Who else thought they saw Reventon in the title:D

Look down one post on the most recent posts list......

NicFromLA
12-11-2007, 05:30 PM
in my preyers the Eagle is just an Elise with slightly better interior materials and easier to get in an out of.

Ferrer
12-12-2007, 04:01 AM
in my preyers the Eagle is just an Elise with slightly better interior materials and easier to get in an out of.
You've got the Europa for that.

The Eagle will be quite different from the Elise if it's going to have 6 cylinder power and four seats.

Filovirus
12-12-2007, 05:04 AM
You've got the Europa for that.

Well unfortunately for us Yanks, we don't get the Europa. Our choices are between the Elise and her sister the Exige.

Here's hoping Lotus expands it's US line up <crossing fingers>.

Falcon500
12-12-2007, 05:14 AM
Good to hear their preparing for the future and even better still they are keeping their cars light weight and plenty of fun.

My father says hell disown me if i buy a pommy car but I may just risk it for an exige S :D

NicFromLA
12-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Well unfortunately for us Yanks, we don't get the Europa. Our choices are between the Elise and her sister the Exige.

Here's hoping Lotus expands it's US line up <crossing fingers>.

Also the Europa is not much easier to get in and out of. And it doesn't have the option of being able to take the top off.

Coventrysucks
12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Also the Europa is not much easier to get in and out of.

Wow, you've driven the Europa too. You certainly have an exciting job driving all these rare sports cars.

And it doesn't have the option of being able to take the top off.

And the Eagle does?

NicFromLA
12-13-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow, you've driven the Europa too. You certainly have an exciting job driving all these rare sports cars.

And the Eagle does?

I've sat in the Europa, but I haven't driven it.

If the Eagle was easy to get in and out of I'd accept a coupe.

Coventrysucks
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I've sat in the Europa, but I haven't driven it.

I apologise, there really was no reason for my earlier comment.

Whereabouts did you find a Europa, if you don't mind me asking?

As for the Eagle;

Spied: Lotus supercar (http://www.leftlanenews.com/lotus-supercar.html)

This, according to those who know (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, etc), is it, and not, as is implied by the caption, the new Esprit.

Wouter Melissen
12-13-2007, 03:28 PM
I apologise, there really was no reason for my earlier comment.

Whereabouts did you find a Europa, if you don't mind me asking?

I would imagine at this year's Geneva Motor Show, where he accepted the Louis Vuitton Award on behalf of his father ...

go.pawel
12-14-2007, 03:46 AM
I would imagine at this year's Geneva Motor Show, where he accepted the Louis Vuitton Award on behalf of his father ...

This remark actually reminded me of something - I'm pretty sure there was a Momo Mirage thread somewhere on the forum (or at least a post). I think I even contributed to it. However, search results show nothing. Could anyone help me find it? Or is it just my imagination :confused:

Wouter Melissen
12-14-2007, 04:53 AM
This remark actually reminded me of something - I'm pretty sure there was a Momo Mirage thread somewhere on the forum (or at least a post). I think I even contributed to it. However, search results show nothing. Could anyone help me find it? Or is it just my imagination :confused:

It might just be your imagination. I think he still has two of them, but one is not fully functioning. Would love to shoot one of them one day.

#3 Tasman Bloke
12-14-2007, 02:25 PM
That's good to hear from Lotus. Project Eagle (yes, it is a good name) seems to be pretty exciting for Lotus, and lets hope it is. Lotus (in my view) seem to produce some of the best cars in the world with their lightweight technology. They just need more power out of their Elise and Exige (around about 250hp by any chance?)

Falcon500
12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
They seem to love codenames like ford australia has had a few odd ones like project capricorn (falcon replacement early 90s) and project blackwood (XD) and ea29 (EA)

Personally I just think its silly it doesnt sound like a mssive undertaking it sounds like a bad 80s movie or video game :(