PDA

View Full Version : Car & Driver: Viper SRT10 vs. Corvette Z06

carreragt10
12-16-2007, 07:58 AM
Viper SRT10 vs. Corvette Z06

evile
12-16-2007, 10:42 AM
I read that article a few months ago. The Viper won almost every performance category, but still finished second overall. I guess heated seats, cup holders, storage space and heads up displays were more important to the author than on track performance.

CdocZ
12-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I read that article a few months ago. The Viper won almost every performance category, but still finished second overall. I guess heated seats, cup holders, storage space and heads up displays were more important to the author than on track performance.

Yeah, seriously. Wtf is the point of comparing two beasts like these, in their economical value and practicality? If I wanted practicality, I might look at the Z06, but I would be leaning in other directions.

bruxell
12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
I believe the author pointed out that, despite its ability to generate numbers, the Viper still drove tlike the truck out of which Chrysler plucked its engine. The Corvette is the vastly better sports-car.

F1_Master
12-16-2007, 03:40 PM
So it drove like a truck. Big deal. That didn't change the fact the Viper was obviously more suited for a race track. Every review I'd read in the past had claimed the SRT-10 was a very driver responsive car, and was much better suited to a race track than the 'Vette.

I'm surprised the author of this review didn't say the Vette won because it was cheaper like many have in the past.

CdocZ
12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I believe the author pointed out that, despite its ability to generate numbers, the Viper still drove tlike the truck out of which Chrysler plucked its engine. The Corvette is the vastly better sports-car.

Truck engine....that Carol Shelby approved of, and didn't Lamborghini help design the block? :rolleyes:

jediali
12-16-2007, 03:58 PM
im still shocked about what Jason Plato said about the viper in 5th gear...lets just say he was not impressed. It has acres of character though.

evile
12-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah! That was a Gen III Viper. Surprisingly, the '08 is considered a Gen IV. Although they look virtually the same the '08 has major upgrades over the Gen III. Some of the issues Plato had have been addressed this generation.

Viper007
12-16-2007, 08:22 PM
At the end of the day, these two American sports cars provide a phenomenal alternative to their European competitors. I love both and can't wait to see more tests involving these two in the future.

beckerb
12-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I own a Viper (2002) and a Z06 (2007) as well. On the oval track the Viper out performs the Z06. In the quarter mile the Z06 wins. The Z06 is a far nicer car to drive the the road - but the Viper turns heads as the Cobra did. The new viper will likely out perform the Z06 in the quarter as well but it will not a road crusier like the Z06 is.

Comparing these two cars all around from a drivability standpoint (confort to the driver) the Z06 wins. I own them both and love them both but they were built for different things as I see it

jediali
12-17-2007, 07:33 AM
I own a Viper (2002) and a Z06 (2007) as well. On the oval track the Viper out performs the Z06. In the quarter mile the Z06 wins. The Z06 is a far nicer car to drive the the road - but the Viper turns heads as the Cobra did. The new viper will likely out perform the Z06 in the quarter as well but it will not a road crusier like the Z06 is.

Comparing these two cars all around from a drivability standpoint (confort to the driver) the Z06 wins. I own them both and love them both but they were built for different things as I see it

great to have you on board..welcome to UCP!

and now the big one. click here (http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/users-rides/2584-official-ucp-ownership-challenge.html)

beckerb
12-17-2007, 07:36 AM
You know honestly all the talk about the Viper motor being a "truck" motor has to come from folks with a very limited knowledge of engine construction and design.

The Ford FE series big blocks which included the 427 I guess could also be looked at as a trunk motor the way they look at it (although it dominated oval track racing for years) - It grew from the FE 352 which as used in trucks along with the 360 and 390. One big thing the commerical trunk motors had over the car motors was positive rotating values which was a big plus. Beyond that, the 427 did have a different oiling scheme which was not shared by the 428 Corbra Jet Motors which were very fast in their day. In fact in 1967 a 428 Corbra Jet Mustang won the National over even the Dodge Hemi.

Dodge's V10 truck motor other then the SRT10 are bullt very different from the Viper motor. From the block casting up the only thing they really share is they are both V10s. Pistons, Rods, the Crank, the Cam the oiling system as well as the intake system and ECUs are all totally different. I guess the Chev Big block could also be considered a truck motor as well. Chevy used the 454 in everything from pickup trucks to R.V.s. They also used it in the Corvette if you all remember.

Enough about the Viper having a truck motor - it has a V10 and so do a number of super cars built outside of the USA.

jediali
12-17-2007, 07:50 AM
it has a V10 and so do a number of super cars built outside of the USA.

I appreciate your discussion and i hope you can acknowledge overall in engine design that the V10 fitted in a Porsche Carrera GT is a better sports car engine than the dodge one because it has more design investment and racing focus. cylinder configeration does not guarantee technical superiority.

Please note - i am debating that engine design comes down to more than configeration - I am not starting US vs Europe. I like many engines for many reasons.

beckerb
12-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I certainly agee that there are a vast number of engine designs that are far better then the V10. I have a 92 Stealth RT TT which houses a full Stage III built engine for 3SX. That is a very advanced engine which Japan built and was way ahead of its time back in 1992.

To be honest it will tear my Viper apart in the quarter mile as well as the eight mile. It is really the car that I race most of the time at the drag strip.

Porsche from a design standpoint is more than noteworthly and likely has a great more R and D time then the Viper V10- no doubt about it.

The V10 for what it is does a pretty darn good.....

digitalcraft
12-17-2007, 12:30 PM
And in the end it was found GM paid slightly more expenses and gifts and so they get higher marks.

Falcon500
12-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Well from a dayly driver standpoint id say the vette is (and more then likly will alwayus be) the clear winner here theres fractions of seconds in everything its beatan in , its much cheaper and to top it off it the on average 3mpg more.

While there isnt anything wrong with the viper it just doesnt work as well (on a dayly basis although neither are great for that to be honest) and its far to expensive for only being a little bit faster. But theres that image and lets not forget the the v10 sounds pretty cool :)