PDA

View Full Version : Masters of...........GOING OFF TOPIC

fpv_gtho
04-29-2004, 06:38 AM
just before someone takes what may or may not be said, im not trying to have a go at anyone with this thread.......

well most people would think after reading any thread in the Australian Cars section that either myself or Falcon500 would be the #1 person here for going off topic, well recently it seems the proud scot that is Matra et Alpine, has been trying his hand at this and has turned the latest thread on the Ford Territory (home of the unofficial longest post on UCP) into a conversation about Beer and wiskey (much to the liking of crisis, falcon500 and of course Matra) and now the thread on the NZ supercar has been turned into a discussion on prime time TV. i dont know whats next but its sure to be a good discussion, as is the usual case from Matra

Falcon500
04-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Well my problem is i like to spin yarns...i brought up a solution too wouter asking (again) for a pub sub section in the aussie car section for our off tpic dribble everyone else is invited too :) call it an unofficial chat room if you will...and it will be closy whatched by myself....(prehaps i should of presented it this way to wouter....) I alsoasked (again though this on is really minor) to add NZ to the aussie car forum for our friend from NZ...to make them feellike they have more of a place rather then liveing in australias shadow....
But anyways it all in good fun...get a room full ofpeople and their either going totalk or hate eachother....but with the friendly atmosphere here i doubt that would happen much :)

Matra et Alpine
04-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Well my problem is i like to spin yarns...
I'm, also like falcon a "yarn-spinner" but my WORST failing is my (so-called) sense of humour.

So it's not my intent to take things off-topic, but I just pass on the humourous thought as I read posts. [ Now, COME ON, where else could I slag-off NZ primtime TV and get away with it ? :) Oh damn, have I just taken it off-topic AGAIN ?? I'll just go iron my hands ]

fpv_gtho
04-30-2004, 12:26 AM
the pub idea has its benefits i suppose, but it would have the same con's as a live chat feature so i doubt we'd get it before the live chat.

i dont think you can really say people intend to go off topic matra, as you say you just write things down as you think of them after reading the posts, Falc, you just try tell stories, i guess i just dont like leaving a good topic stale......if theres more to be talked about i just fish through anything said recently thats still open for discussion

crisis
04-30-2004, 12:45 AM
I think (who cares!) that part of the enjoyment of the threads is how they grow and develope. Anyone wishing to address the original topic can do so, but invariably the conversations end up being quite interesting. Lets face it, 50 entries for a topic might be slaughtering the point somewhat.

Falcon500
04-30-2004, 02:32 AM
Ahhh but its not live chat ;) just think miscilainious with an atmosphere :)

One of my failings is i over react sometimes and lack of seeing the person....if they where with me in person theyd see a cheeky smile diminate my face a fair bit :) ....although i was quite upset with megotomea.......its easy to tell when i am upset....i usually swear a bit.....
but on an interesting note it wouldent be the first time our ideas have gotten more attention then the subject....

fpv_gtho
04-30-2004, 02:43 AM
well, i guess thats a fair point, calling it a pub may not be such a bad idea, as you always here people talking about bragging rights with cars at the pub......think about it.......

either way, its literally the same sort of stuff as making a live chat feature, and as Wouter has outlined it, the good thing about the forums is someone can say something and someone from another country in a time zone 10 hours out can talk with them. the only way a live chat would have this is if people extended their UCP viewing hours which would much with their lifestyles too much i dare say

Matra et Alpine
04-30-2004, 02:51 AM
... a pub sub section in the aussie car section
:) typical Aussie sterotype, in the pub with a tinnie :)

Don't see how a pub section would work.
After a couple of beers the typing would get worse.
Who would be designated driver to take me home ?

:) Is this still on-topic :paranoid: ? :)

fpv_gtho
04-30-2004, 02:59 AM
matra matra matra, you just got to let your tendency to go off topic come natural........even though currently it still IS on topic.......

well your not obligated to sit down with a drink if you happened to go into the pub section, although im sure every so often Falc and crisis are more than likely to

Spastik_Roach
04-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Nissan Skyline sch @ l33t carz waaaaaayste mclaren f1 civic nitro rulesszz...

IBrake4Rainbows
04-30-2004, 04:39 AM
I happen to think a Pub forum is actually a good thing, we could have Wouter as the Publican, Moderators as Staff, and members as patrons. we could organise "Tables" at which you discuss what you would like to discuss, such as an off-topic table, a SkylineVsRX-7 table and the like. Every so often you'd have a "Did you spill my Pint" moment at which we would isolate the two antagonaisers and send them "Outside" for a war of words and bruised smilies. Rep points are awarded by buying a drink for the person.

What do you think? can i work? i may be under 18 but i make a mean G and T, or indeed a JB and C, what'll it be sir?

Falcon500
04-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Well heres what ahppens when you drink online.....

Re: ummmm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon500
Well ahppy first week at new perfect job where the people are frindly and the recetionist is good looking im just wondering if i am makeing a true ass of myself whilebeing on under the influence? i have ahd a bit to drink and am apssing the time on here (granted with as little posts as i can mange)
Alo imt hinking we shoul put up th hulk hogan thread for henks benafit too ive had many more ideas but the quite frankly escape me at teh moent...ill talk to you lateri think bed might be a good option right now.

New job Nick? please tell ...if your up to it ..LOL

:D

Well thats a way to do it i was thinking more of talking but that could be a bit of fun....though in a situation like the pub (and seriuosly drinking) it wont be long beforei keep walking over tothe stage and belt out (horriblyi might add) slice of heaven or some AC/DC or something like that and in general become almost the complete opposite too whati usually am...apprently im great fun when im drunk :)

fpv_gtho
04-30-2004, 06:48 AM
hey, under no circumstances are we having karaoke alright Falc??

Apart from that, those ideas seem pretty good IB4R, but maybe you should elaborate a bit mroe on how you would buy someone a drink?

Spastik_Roach
04-30-2004, 01:23 PM
I make some hard core milkshakes :D

UK CARS
04-30-2004, 02:06 PM
i do like a good old exercise once a day... :rolleyes:

IBrake4Rainbows
04-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Buying a Drink for someone.

When a person makes a valid argument or a fantasticly funny/thoughtful point, you ask the person: What'll it be? You have a total of 6 rep points to give out during the round.
People who are hard-drinkers/posters, or regulars, will be able to award gourmet things like Dom Perringon (3 Points of rep).
medium people can award aged scotch or other spirits (2 points), imported beers like Stella Artois also count in this catagory.
bog standard beer, such as VB or Carlton Draught, are worth 1 rep point.

you can buy someone as many drinks as you like, but you have to carry them home, or indeed drive them home, so spend wisely!

Falcon500
05-02-2004, 03:35 AM
hey, under no circumstances are we having karaoke alright Falc??

Apart from that, those ideas seem pretty good IB4R, but maybe you should elaborate a bit mroe on how you would buy someone a drink?
I cant see why we cant have any karioki....you stop careing after a few drinks....only time i dint like kariki was when the neighbours had a machine and where still useing it at 2am....that got a lot of sailor talk out of me...

fpv_gtho
05-04-2004, 01:44 AM
it all seems to be coming along nicely, but do you think the current forum coding or programming whatever it is can support such a thing? i know its always getting updated but how long would be have to wait to make it possible

Homem de Gelo
05-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Is it off-topic to talk about off-topic things in a thread created to discuss off-topic posts and their effect and presence in the forums? Have I gone off-topic? Hehe.

Matra et Alpine
05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Is it off-topic to talk about off-topic things in a thread created to discuss off-topic posts and their effect and presence in the forums? Have I gone off-topic? Hehe.
You have enacted a more heinous crime !!!!

You have brought the original topic BACK into an off-topic discussion.

Go to the corner of your room right now and don't come out till you're sorry :)

Falcon500
05-06-2004, 03:30 AM
Gives matra some black douglas....some rep for the funny scot :D

Doza
05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Oh man you guys, one time my friend told me click this link (http://www.goatse.ca) and i clicked it and it was nasty. Whatever you do, don't click on that link.

-----------------

Here's cynicism, you can complain about it, but it won't stop, the only way it will is if you start stringent bans for anyone going off topic, but then, folks will leave. My advice, live with it.

Falcon500
05-11-2004, 02:03 AM
I wont then...give us a hint whats on it...ive spent time on yahoo and got burned and used this trick a few times...when people ask queastion tell them a dodgy site is the way to go...the ever so popular You are an idiot sight with a window that comeup and continuosly calls you an idot...and then when you close it a million small ones come up and basicly make you have to restart it :) and then there is a few horrible pics ive collected :rolleyes:

henk4
05-13-2004, 05:29 AM
I found nothing to post here. Is that off or on-topic.

Falcon500
05-13-2004, 05:35 AM
I found nothing to post here. Is that off or on-topic.
Not at alltalk about how you feel this is a trial run of the puib idea ;) dont like the topic make a new one :)

henk4
05-13-2004, 05:42 AM
Not at alltalk about how you feel this is a trial run of the puib idea ;) dont like the topic make a new one :)

I am afraid I would have to get my cyber-beer out of my own fridge.

Falcon500
05-13-2004, 05:56 AM
I am afraid I would have to get my cyber-beer out of my own fridge.
You go for it :) i would love to but have work tomorrow....pity really...
Alsoanother thought should we have a bartender or will that be the attending mod by default?

henk4
05-13-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm, also like falcon a "yarn-spinner" but my WORST failing is my (so-called) sense of humour.

]

Nothing that can't be remedied.