PDA

View Full Version : corrado find

ripper46
01-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Tomorrow I'm probably going to take a look at a corrado 16v (kr engine).
there is one detail about it that is quite intresting , it had only covered 24000 kms, so the owner claims. The owners says that it needs some work because it has been standing still for quite a while. I really find it hard to believe that that car (almost 20 years) old has only covered 24k. So I'm just going to try to verify that this is true . I thought the interior might be a good indicator, if for example the drivers seat is totaly worn out I'm just gonna walk away. If anyone has more usefull tips to verify the mileage ... do tell.
If the engine has only covered 24000 kms should it look like new? or is it possible that due to the long standstill the sealing gaskets have gone bad and making the engine sweat?
And could it be that it runs poorly just because the petrol in it is way to old combined with other standstill factors? The guy lives 2 villages away from me and he is only asking €1000, so it's worth a try I guess.

here's the ad with some crappy dark pictures:
kapaza.be > Auto's > Volkswagen > Aangeboden: Vw corrado (http://www.kapaza.be/Autos/Volkswagen/7728120/Vw_corrado.html)

does anyone notice something fishy besides the wrong time indication on the camera and the scratchings on the rear bumper?

Street_Dreamer
01-02-2008, 12:59 PM
if he's only asking 1000 Euros, i'd suggest there's something wrong with it thats deeper rooted than the fact it needs a bit of work (lets say 2.5kEuros purely for the sake of argument). A good quality one of these will go for above £10,000 or 14000+ Euros.

Lagonda
01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
14k for a +15 y/o VW ? Why would anyone pay that kind of money for that car.

Anyway, 1k is very little I guess. The car could be full of problems or maybe it's just a lucky find. Let's hope it's the latter, maybe the guy just wants to get rid of it.

ripper46
01-02-2008, 01:05 PM
A good quality one of these will go for above £10,000 or 14000+ Euros.

its just a 16v, perfect examples go for 3500 and upwards

Waugh-terfall
01-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I hate you lol

henk4
01-02-2008, 02:25 PM
I would first like to see daylight pictures....sometimes there is light at the end of the tunnel, even in Belgium..

Waugh-terfall
01-02-2008, 03:07 PM
you're sure it's not a train?

ripper46
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
you're sure it's not a train?

corrado shaped train?

Fuerte100
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
corrado shaped train?

Yeah, there's tons of them.
As for the find, I hope it is an amazing one. At such a low price there is bound to be something wrong with it. Be sure, when you head over there, to check everything before buying.

Quiggs
01-02-2008, 04:11 PM
There's no such thing as a clean, cheap Corrado.

ripper46
01-02-2008, 04:23 PM
There's no such thing as a clean, cheap Corrado.

It isn't clean , thats a fact, but the budget for fixing it is about 1250 euro's
It's for a friend btw , I talked him in to this:D, his dad is verry handy with the mechanics, i.e he can do the difficult stuff such as timing belts, new brake linings....
Lets hope tomorrow we will see that the corrado can pas the test of time/barn well. but the fact that the mileage is so unrealistic makes me worried:(

and , IIRC, didn't you only get the g60 and the vr6 in the states? which are the most expensive? I kind of consider this to be a mk2 golf gti 16v with an other body and some passat bits :D

Ryan9118
01-03-2008, 02:54 AM
The VR6 is the more expensive version here in the States. Blue Book prices (recommended private party resale prices) is $2,800 for a 1990 G60 in Excellent shape. Blue Book for a 1992 VR6 in Excellent shape is $4,000.

I've seen plenty of G60's for sale for $2,000 or less, but almost all have needed work. There are two for sale right now in my area for $1,500 a piece, but they both need a head gasket and a supercharger rebuild. That can get expensive fast. When they're cheap they either need engine/supercharger work, brake/suspension work, or body work. The VR6's cost more money up front. I've seen them around $3,000 before, but most of them will go for $4,000 or more. It all depends on the condition the car is in, and how it's been maintained.

Personally I'd rather have a Scirocco 16v. You get the nice 16v engine, leather interior, same suspension layout (more or less), and a lot less weight to haul around. :)

Roy Visser
01-03-2008, 05:16 AM
the early KR engine which this first gen Corrado is fitted with is one of the better VW engines. Problem with long standing still is lubrication and rubbers. So make sure that you inspect everything before ever traveling with it or even doing some testdrives. You can really damage even more if you dont pay attention!

good find though :) Sometimes i still miss my Second Gen Corrado 16V, i'll just post a pic of it since it was just a supersweet car

ripper46
01-03-2008, 07:54 AM
just got back, car had a nice body, it ends there,as expected, as soon as I opened the door a completely worn out interior greeted me , so I popped the bonnet up for a laugh, an oily tired kr engine greeted me there.
maybe some other time :D

henk4
01-03-2008, 08:00 AM
just got back, car had a nice body, it ends there,as expected, as soon as I opened the door a completely worn out interior greeted me , so I popped the bonnet up for a laugh, an oily tired kr engine greeted me there.
maybe some other time :D

well, the seller warned for "some work" which in the eyes of the seller is always much less than in those of the buyer....

ripper46
01-03-2008, 08:20 AM
well, the seller warned for "some work" which in the eyes of the seller is always much less than in those of the buyer....

true , but in this case the seller was an idiot , he was like 16 years old.
we asked if the sunshine roof didn't leak , he said no.... I never ever saw a more f**ked up roof than that one:rolleyes:
The owner claimed a lot of things that were BS , he's never gonna get that sold for 1000 euro's unless a complete idiot walks by :)

I knew it was a wild guess , but it was so close and I sat in a corrado for the first time

henk4
01-03-2008, 08:24 AM
we asked if the sunshine roof didn't leak , he said no.

maybe he never drove it during rain...

ripper46
01-03-2008, 08:27 AM
maybe he never drove it during rain...

an ape could have seen that that roof was leaking badly.
Really should have taken pictures:(

The only good thing as showed in the photo's in the ad was the bodywork, virtualy no rust dents or scratches

drakkie
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
As usual the things that seem to be too good to be true, are.

Quiggs
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
the early KR engine which this first gen Corrado is fitted with is one of the better VW engines. Problem with long standing still is lubrication and rubbers. So make sure that you inspect everything before ever traveling with it or even doing some testdrives. You can really damage even more if you dont pay attention!That's what she said.

good find though :) Sometimes i still miss my Second Gen Corrado 16V, i'll just post a pic of it since it was just a supersweet car

I miss it too. :(