PDA

View Full Version : Zil 112/3 (1957)

faksta
01-08-2008, 09:07 AM
In 1956 the factory was renamed from ZIS to ZIL, so the following cars were called ZIL, too.
1957 (according to some other sources - 1956) saw the modification of 1956 112/2 model. Not to think much, ZIL engineers just took Cadillac body somewhere on ZIL factory and put it to second 112/2 chassis. As for the engine, it could be the old one (the same as for 112/2), but also the new V8 providing 220hp could be used.
That's all I've got on it - it's one of the less known ZIL cars.

Revo
01-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Faksta, since you are an expert here, I have a question. Can you tell us more about the Soviet racing scene in the 1950s e.g. what kind of competitions were organised and what kind of cars raced there?

I mean, in Soviet Union everything was strictly regulated and controlled by the state. Individual initiatives were strongly discouraged (to put it very mildly). Number of cars on Soviet roads were still in very low numbers. It is very hard to imagine a normal, healthy racing scene in those bleak 1950s Soviet conditions.

faksta
01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Faksta, since you are an expert here, I have a question. Can you tell us more about the Soviet racing scene in the 1950s e.g. what kind of competitions were organised and what kind of cars raced there?

I mean, in Soviet Union everything was strictly regulated and controlled by the state. Individual initiatives were strongly discouraged (to put it very mildly). Number of cars on Soviet roads were still in very low numbers. It is very hard to imagine a normal, healthy racing scene in those bleak 1950s Soviet conditions.

Yes, I can try and make a separate thread - I found a great website with results of most races through 1959-1988, configurations of tracks, most cars (stated by classes) etc. The site is on Russian, but it's not so difficult to translate it. The question is: do you want info on cars in different threads or another way (by manufacturers, seasons, countries viceversa)?
I also have a book and some articles about pre-1917 competitions. If it is interesting, too, I'll try to sum this up.

P.S. I'm not an expert - if you ask me a week later, I won't tell you all of this info :D Just some major points :)

stinkiee
01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
do you know which car this is?

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5503/patatjeoorlogxw4.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4038/woeinf1.jpg

Revo
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Yes, I can try and make a separate thread - I found a great website with results of most races through 1959-1988, configurations of tracks, most cars (stated by classes) etc. The site is on Russian, but it's not so difficult to translate it. The question is: do you want info on cars in different threads or another way (by manufacturers, seasons, countries viceversa)?
I also have a book and some articles about pre-1917 competitions. If it is interesting, too, I'll try to sum this up.

P.S. I'm not an expert - if you ask me a week later, I won't tell you all of this info :D Just some major points :)
Well, it's not the facts I'm after. More like a general overview of sports car racing in Soviet Union.

Thing is, most of us here a pretty familiar with the history of F1, Le Mans 24 hrs, rallying and so on. It would be interesting to know what was happening on the other side of Iron Curtain during Cold War. I was born in Soviet Estonia and I know that the rallying scene here was very active here during the 1970s and 1980s. However, my general knowledge of Soviet racing is non-existent. Your recent postings of 1950s Soviet racing prototypes got me wondering, hence the curiosity.

I suppose you could make one giant thread which concentrates in most interesting/prestigious classes. Lots of pictorial material would be nice too, since one picture says more than a thousand words. Also some basic technical specs...Bloody hell, this will be a gigantic job! It should keep you busy for quite some time if you really decide to go on with it.

faksta
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/5503/patatjeoorlogxw4.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4038/woeinf1.jpg

I'm looking now. I've definetely seen these pics before.
I found. It's called Duopower Afghan, made in 2000.

Ferrer
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, it's not the facts I'm after. More like a general overview of sports car racing in Soviet Union.

Thing is, most of us here a pretty familiar with the history of F1, Le Mans 24 hrs, rallying and so on. It would be interesting to know what was happening on the other side of Iron Curtain during Cold War. I was born in Soviet Estonia and I know that the rallying scene here was very active here during the 1970s and 1980s. However, my general knowledge of Soviet racing is non-existent. Your recent postings of 1950s Soviet racing prototypes got me wondering, hence the curiosity.

I suppose you could make one giant thread which concentrates in most interesting/prestigious classes. Lots of pictorial material would be nice too, since one picture says more than a thousand words. Also some basic technical specs...Bloody hell, this will be a gigantic job! It should keep you busy for quite some time if you really decide to go on with it.
I support this idea. :)

go.pawel
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I found a great website with results of most races through 1959-1988, configurations of tracks, most cars (stated by classes) etc.

Can you give the link?

There's a dedicated thread for this kind of questions: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/multimedia/26809-what-s-car-official-thread.html

BTW: It's the Duopower Afghan, work of Japanese automotive designer Masao Watanabe. The one-off Afghan was created for Takashi Koga, a Japanese auto parts manufacturer. The Duopower Afghan's name is taken from the Afghan breed of dog, Takashi Koga's favorite breed. The 2-seat Duopower Afghan is based on a space-frame chassis covered by a flowing fibreglass body. Power for the Afghan comes from a Chevrolet sourced 5.7 litre V8 engine.

Edit: Agh, faksta beat me to it :P

faksta
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM

OK, I'll try. Though most pics I think would be of terrible quality.
BTW, I'm half-Estonian, too ;)

faksta
01-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Can you give the link?

I'll PM you, or the future thread will become a bit pointless :D

stinkiee
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
thanks faksta

go.pawel
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I'll PM you, or the future thread will become a bit pointless :D

Well, not many people here know russian, anyway :D

faksta
01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Well, not many people here know russian, anyway :D

They all know how to watch pics :D :D

Revo
01-08-2008, 12:52 PM
BTW, I'm half-Estonian, too ;)
No kiddng, eh? That's great, I don't know what to say...Congratulations then! :D

faksta
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
No kiddng, eh? That's great, I don't know what to say...Congratulations then! :D

uh...thanks, then! :D