PDA

View Full Version : I am Legend *spoilers*

my porsche
01-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Anyone else see this movie?

I thought it was good, but depressing...there wasn't a "happy" part in the whole thing...lost his kid and wife, lost his dog, then he died, the end. Thought it was pretty good overall though, Will Smith is a great actor.

2ndclasscitizen
01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Seen it, thought it was pretty good too. But I think that they should have covered a little more in the flashbacks, like after his wife and kids die, and how ends up completely alone, his immunity etc. Also, it seemed as though they were setting up something with that one Infected guy who seemed to be becoming intelligent and a leader, but then nothing happened. That annoyed me.

But good movie. The shots of empty NYC were very nicely done.

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:10 PM
I saw it twice. The second time I saw it drunk. Awesome movie.

Fred. <3

Kitdy
01-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Seen it, thought it was pretty good too. But I think that they should have covered a little more in the flashbacks, like after his wife and kids die, and how ends up completely alone, his immunity etc. Also, it seemed as though they were setting up something with that one Infected guy who seemed to be becoming intelligent and a leader, but then nothing happened. That annoyed me.

But good movie. The shots of empty NYC were very nicely done.

I seemed to see somewhere a graph that showed that there were more survivors unaffected by the disease - is this true? If so, were they in the movie?. I never saw the movie, because Will Smith is terrible to me and the trailer made it look like another stupid zombie movie - though I heard it was somewhat critically and popularly acclaimed.

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah definitely, those were two things I wanted to know, how was he immune? And also they kept showing the one infected guy, who would command the others, and it seemed maybe him and Will Smith (forgot the character name) would get in a fight or something.

I thought his little artillery was pretty cool. :D

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:11 PM
1- Will Smith > your face.
2- Zombie movies > your face.
3- There is no 3.

The_Canuck
01-08-2008, 08:21 PM
Yeah definitely, those were two things I wanted to know, how was he immune? And also they kept showing the one infected guy, who would command the others, and it seemed maybe him and Will Smith (forgot the character name) would get in a fight or something.

I thought his little artillery was pretty cool. :D

It just so happens that some people, like 1% were not affected by the disease, including him.

BTW R.I.P Fred.....he should not have been there :(

NSXType-R
01-08-2008, 08:22 PM
His house is amazing. Empty NY was cool too. Scary too see a bustling city reduced to that.

I think the last third spoiled it. If they had ended the movie right at the point the woman came, it would have been great.

All the *what ifs* makes you think. Just my thoughts though.

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
It just so happens that some people, like 1% were not affected by the disease, including him.

Oh yeah now that you mention it I remember him saying like 90% were infected and died, and 9% were killed by the infected and 1% were immune and survived.

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:25 PM
His house is amazing.

Yeah, and by the way, "Legend" by Bob Marley, is in fact the best album ever made. I put it in as soon as I got in my car after leaving the theater. :p

The_Canuck
01-08-2008, 08:26 PM
something like that, but its more like, most died, a lot turned into ragezombiethings and then a few were unnaffected...except they are getting killed by zombiethings...

baddabang
01-08-2008, 08:29 PM
I'm waiting to compare this to Cloverfiled. Although Will Smith is indeed an excellent actor, and it's interesting to see one of his characters actually die.

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Cloverfield is going to be off the hook. Another movie I'll be seeing with a couple of close friends. One of them is named Morgan. <3

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Cloverfield is going to be off the hook. Another movie I'll be seeing with a couple of close friends. One of them is named Morgan. <3

And the other is Daniel. Er...Danni.

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Go drive your lifted 2wd truck off a bridge. Wait it'd probably get stuck cause it's 2wd. Failboat.

2ndclasscitizen
01-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Godzilla smashing NYC again = win.

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:40 PM
It's not ****ing Godzilla. JJ Abrams has said it's not any current or past franchise character.

Whatever it is though, it has a TON of hype to live up to.

Wait. Something hyped beyond belief. No one's actually seen it in real life. And it destroys everything it comes near. Sounds like a GTR to me!

baddabang
01-08-2008, 08:43 PM
It's not ****ing Godzilla. JJ Abrams has said it's not any current or past franchise character.

Whatever it is though, it has a TON of hype to live up to.

Wait. Something hyped beyond belief. No one's actually seen it in real life. And it destroys everything it comes near. Sounds like a GTR to me!

The GTR lacks a high enough top speed to destroy anything in NYC.

coolieman1220
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
how did the woman get onto manhatten if the bridges all broke? i loved the price of gas! it was a giant FORD advertisement. had some good parts very good story line.

The_Canuck
01-08-2008, 08:46 PM
No Badda, the GPS recognizes it's in the city and allows it to go much faster...

Quiggs
01-08-2008, 08:49 PM
how did the woman get onto manhatten if the bridges all broke?It's a movie. That's how.
it was a giant FORD advertisement.All movies have product placement.

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
how did the woman get onto manhatten if the bridges all broke? i loved the price of gas! it was a giant FORD advertisement. had some good parts very good story line.
Hmm good question...

and yeah all he drove was a Mustang and an Expedition, and most of the cars on the street were Fords too. I've noticed Ford does alot more advertising than all the other American car makers.

The_Canuck
01-08-2008, 08:50 PM
The Ford product placement was very, very noticable though...

my porsche
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
The Ford product placement was very, very noticable though...

No worse than in Dirty Jobs though,

"Now that's a tough Job, and this is a tough truck." *leaning up against an F-150*

*zooms out to show Ford billboard and badge on grill*

NSXType-R
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Wonder where you got that question from..... :D

Hmm good question...

and yeah all he drove was a Mustang and an Expedition, and most of the cars on the street were Fords too. I've noticed Ford does alot more advertising than all the other American car makers.

Gasoline is a problem too. He probably had access to all the stations on Manhattan, but with no power to pump it, he'd run out real fast.

I seemed to see somewhere a graph that showed that there were more survivors unaffected by the disease - is this true? If so, were they in the movie?. I never saw the movie, because Will Smith is terrible to me and the trailer made it look like another stupid zombie movie - though I heard it was somewhat critically and popularly acclaimed.

Actually, I really like Will Smith. I think he gave a good performance, especially when his dog died.

baddabang
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Gasoline is a problem too. He probably had access to all the stations on Manhattan, but with no power to pump it, he'd run out real fast.

You can open the big tanks and get the fuel out...

TVRs4eva
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
Did anyone here read the novel? I didn't, but I know the endings are entirely different, almost opposite of what actually happens, if you're planning on reading it don't read below here:

In the novel, there are two different kinds of zombie-vampires, the traditional thoughtless ones, and super-intelligent ones. In the end, Robert is captured by the intelligent ones and goes on trial in their court systems. Because Robert was doing research to cure the virus, and thus trying to "kill" the vampires, they convict him of murder and kill him. And therefore, his "Legend" is that he was this evil figure who was trying to kill off the new dominant race on planet earth, which of course are the vampires.

Pretty different. Which ending do you guys prefer, movie or novel? I think the novel's is a little more thought-provoking... probably would seem dumb in a movie though.

my porsche
01-08-2008, 09:11 PM
And therefore, his "Legend" is that he was this evil figure who was trying to kill off the new dominant race on planet earth, which of course are the vampires.

Ah, see I assumed his Legend was just a reference to the Bob Marley album, since his music plays throughout the movie and over the credits, he talks about Bob's music, and he named his daughter Marley.

MadMax13
01-08-2008, 09:20 PM
Apparently hes alone because NY has been evacuated. I havent seen it but i know its a book adaptation, an adaptation my sister said seemed like a high budget "28 Days/Weeks Later"...

coolieman1220
01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Transformers was a huge GM add

Monty_Burns
01-08-2008, 09:49 PM
Saw it twice...Will Smith was great - his performance in this has completely reversed my opinion of him...didnt think much of him before

Empty NY was haunting...sucks how the dog had to die...gets a bit sappy at the end...there are some plot holes...but on the whole i enjoyed it...enjoyed watching people shit themselves, scream and spill popcorn in the scarier moments too

Coventrysucks
01-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone else see this movie?

Yes, years ago, under the guise of The Omega Man.

It isn't difficult to come up with a new idea, or approach an old idea from a new angle - as evidenced by the fact that when a film is remade, they inexplicably alter it to the point where it is on the verge of becoming a new story anyway, which defeats the entire point of remaking it...

The concept of isolation and the idea of living in a dead society is compelling one to explore, and it seems from reading reviews that this aspect of the film is the strongest, but then for some reason not-zombies have to crop up and spoil everything.

It reminds me of the beginning of 12 Monkeys, with Bruce Willis scrabbling round a deserted Philadelphia - no zombies there - but still evocative.

lost his kid and wife, lost his dog, then he died, the end.

Good.

There are thousands of films knocking about with a "happy ending"; giving the grim realities of life an airing every now and then isn't a bad thing.

I understand they still manage to tack some uninspired "positive" nonsense onto the end to keep the tedious predictability of Hollywood blockbusters in place, after breaking two of the sacred rules (both the main character and his dog, where applicable, will survive).

After reading a brief synopsis of the original book, it sounds like a much more entertaining experience.

whiteballz
01-08-2008, 10:17 PM
I think the movie was a great excercise in how not to edit a film.

I rekon the editors got way too snap happy with the cuts trying to cram it into a shorter film.. so perhaps a directors cut onto DVD will explain a few things above.

And whoever asked about how the lady got onto manhatten - there is this really crazy invention called a boat. which she explains she was on, when a few got infected, and they left.

Kitdy
01-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Actually, I really like Will Smith. I think he gave a good performance, especially when his dog died.

I can't remember what I saw him in but I thought he was garbage. I think it was part of I Robot or something.

ZeTurbo
01-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Visually it was a very solid movie. However some gaping holes in the plot prevented me from enjoying this movie.

The best example is the end. How does a smal metal plate protect the girl and her son form a GRENADE!? If the initial blast didint burrn her alive, the smoke from the resulting fire surely would do the trick of suffocating here in such a small isolated room. Also, in that same scene, There were tons of "zombies"coming into the house, and only a few in the room when the granade went off. Would the other ones eventually find the girl and the kid? and it not like at dwn they would be safe, THERE WERE NO WINDOWS!!!! how the hell would they be safe at dawn?

It seems to that they went abou doing the film and then ran out of tiom to do a decent endeding.

Very disapointing.

VtecMini
01-09-2008, 03:43 AM
After the first five minutes I was prepared to call it a day and walk out. The fairly poor computer generated deer and the Ford Mustang advert were enough to really annoy me from the outset.

But I decided to stick it out till the end. When I came out I just felt like I'd been fed a rake of half-plots that didn't go anywhere, like the aforementioned big leader zombie/vampire thing. Are we really supposed to believe that he set up the Fred trap? I'm gonna need more character development to buy in to that...

SlickHolden
01-09-2008, 04:14 AM
I was lucky to watch this in 07 i got it on DVD:D.. I liked it but to be honest there really isn't a smile point in the movie.
We he got strung up the movie twisted in harder and he went pretty much nuts.

SlickHolden
01-09-2008, 04:18 AM
I think the movie was a great excercise in how not to edit a film.

I rekon the editors got way too snap happy with the cuts trying to cram it into a shorter film.. so perhaps a directors cut onto DVD will explain a few things above.

And whoever asked about how the lady got onto manhatten - there is this really crazy invention called a boat. which she explains she was on, when a few got infected, and they left.
They really needed 3 hours to do it right.. Explain more in how we got there and show us, Then the path back and after. But they did chop it fast into his life alone a little to much.
Not that i didn't like it it was one of the movies you wanted more and wouldn't have minded sitting a further 30-60min.

hightower99
01-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Really the whole premise of the entire film is total bollocks....

Simple virus mutated into complete cure for all forms of cancer... Yeah Right!

First released after 5000 human trials.... Yeah Right!

Virus causes mutation... Yeah Right!

Viral mutation is able to completely change human physiology... Yeah Right!

99% infection rate.... Yeah Right!

Only 1% immunity of which some are only immune to either the airborne or contact transmitted pathegens... Yeah Right!

But after all that I was still entertained. It was a good thriller. Personally I didn't find it scary more creepy at times. Will Smith did very well and even though there were a few Prince-isms I still got the feeling of desperation caused by being alone for over 1000days.

Still I recommend that anyone who wished they had gotten more out of the movie, to read the excellent novel. It has some aspects that are trully missing from the film and makes more sense. Aswell as the fact as it ends like it should. The original premise was supposed to be a reversal of roles played by humans and mythical beasts of horror. Yet in the movie you are constantly reminded by how Robert Neville has lost his faith in god and the movie seems to shift over to how he regains his faith in god ("look a butterfly") and fate but then becomes a god-like legend to the remaining living people (as he basically saves the world) instead of becoming a legend to the vampires.

And is it just me or isn't it weird that even though he has supposedly hunted, captured and killed 100s of the vampires that he is deathly scared of entering a building during daylight hours to get his only companion....

I was expecting more courage from a lieutenant colonel.

fpv_gtho
01-09-2008, 05:58 AM
99% infection rate.... Yeah Right!

Only 1% immunity of which some are only immune to either the airborne or contact transmitted pathegens... Yeah Right!

Whats so unbelievable about that? The local authorities here have a few times now tried to cull the feral rabbits across the country by means of an engineered virus, and every time theyve culled the population down to about 1% of their previous level. Theyve never gotten all of them, because those last few have always been naturally immune to whatever virus was used. After a few decades, the numbers get right back to where they were, except now theyve got to come up with a 2nd virus to kill 99% of them again.

orshow
01-09-2008, 06:25 AM
Absolutely brilliant movie!

Will Smiths acting was sublime, especially during and shortly after sam dies.

IMO, this film was the best i've seen in a loooong time. Although more time and effort could've been put into the end, it was still awesome!

The only other thing i feel they could have elaborated on, was the looks of the 'infected'. i mean, they looked decent and infected enough, but it just wasn't what i was expecting.

Fav quote -- Neville: "Behavioral note - an infected male exposed himself to sunlight today. Now it's possible decreased brain function or growing scarcity of food is causing them to... ignore their basic survival instincts. Social de-evolution appears complete. Typical human behavior is now entirely absent."

Coventrysucks
01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Really the whole premise of the entire film is total bollocks....

Along with almost every other film ever made.

The premise is no more bollocks than any other Vampire story, or anything involving aliens, or time travel, or psychotic computers...

hightower99
01-09-2008, 07:28 AM
Whats so unbelievable about that? The local authorities here have a few times now tried to cull the feral rabbits across the country by means of an engineered virus, and every time theyve culled the population down to about 1% of their previous level. Theyve never gotten all of them, because those last few have always been naturally immune to whatever virus was used. After a few decades, the numbers get right back to where they were, except now theyve got to come up with a 2nd virus to kill 99% of them again.

Well typically for humans (being that there are 6 billion+ of us) any single virus is not going to have much more than a 10% infection rate not only due to are immune system but also all the other things that we can do to protect ourselves.

A fatal virus is never going to be contagious enough aswell as fast acting enough to infect 99% of the human population.

Also wouldn't killing 99% of the feral rabbits every so often make them more and more inbred? after awhile they will become so inbred that they start developing all the associated illnesses.

Along with almost every other film ever made.

The premise is no more bollocks than any other Vampire story, or anything involving aliens, or time travel, or psychotic computers... Yes but this film takes its self way too seriously to be that unrealistic... Now I didn't want more realism. I wanted the film to take its self less seriously. The book has somethings in it that are even more unrealistic but it doesn't try to explain them much and it certainly doesn't mean for those aspects to be realistic.

BTW I thought pyschotic computers was done very well in 2001:Space Odessy.

Matra et Alpine
01-09-2008, 08:53 AM
ht, you've made way too many assumptions in your critique on infection rates in humans.
Incubation time and distribution play a big part - especially if airborne and "robust".
It's "possible".

Rabbits don't have a problem "in breeding" because the numbers are so high that by the time there's only 1% it's still a good cross-section :) THe trick woudl be to find an agent which killed in a way that left a genetic mutation survival -- ie impotency ( or marriage ) either leading to no sex :D

Cotterik
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Brilliant acting by Smith. To keep the audience thrilled and hooked through the whole 2 hours with hardly any dialogue atall for most of the film is definitely something on its own. A better performance than I-Robot. He suits the every-day man role rather than the c0cky-every-day-man role that he had in a few of his other films.

The mutants were somewhat stereotypically portrayed and when compared to films like 28 weeks later which are obvious influences to this film with the zombies and the abandoned city, CGI "zombies" are much less convincing than the non-CGI zombies that are used in 28 weeks/days later. How do they open their mouths so wide when they roar? and why do they sound like dogs when they roar? More time could've been spent on the design of this I think.

Altogether, although the film leaves no room for a sequel, I cant help but feel that there was SO much room to expand on the story. I wouldve sat through another hour of this film because I really enjoyed it. They couldve further tackled the issue of consumerism in society given the opportunity of an abandoned city. As did 28 days later when they raided the supermarket. Smith could've helped himself to the entire Wall-mart store. I know he had obviously helped himself to a GT500 at the beginning of the film which was a superb opener. But if I was alone in a city. I would steal everything while I could. I think everyone else would too.

Overall. A greatly entertaining movie. Smith has gone firmly dug his heels into the ground now. There is no doubt that he is the stand alone great protagonist actor out there right now. My girlfriend cried 3 times in this movie. Thrilling, action-packed, emotional and breathtaking. Ive been waiting for more films to follow the path of 28 days later and tackle the object of an abandoned city. Especially New York. If only there could be a sequel!

I really wanted to read more into the story that the 2 hour movie missed out so I recently bought the book. It was only £4.99 on amazon so I ordered it. Look forward to reading it.

Well typically for humans (being that there are 6 billion+ of us) any single virus is not going to have much more than a 10% infection rate not only due to are immune system but also all the other things that we can do to protect ourselves.

A fatal virus is never going to be contagious enough aswell as fast acting enough to infect 99% of the human population.

from what I recall from the movie. People were being treated for cancer with the modified measles virus to cure them. At the beginning of the film the professor states that 10,000 people have been treated. By the time we cut to Smith being in a deserted New York it couldve been the entire world that was treated. If people were mutating to that extent then the virus would spread through violence and infestation. Its not such a long call if you think if there was a cure for cancer it wouldnt take long for the entire world to be treated. I havent read the book yet but it did seem like New York was the only infested zone at the beginning. Either the rest of the world followed after the virus broke free or the rest of the world was also taking on the virus through treatment.

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 11:15 AM

You know, I am not that sure how viruses work but I am aware that some of the deadliest in recent memory have all come form animals. In light of this, creating a virus capable of killing 99% of rabbits seems to be one of the stupidest ideas I have heard of in recent memory. What happens if the virus mutates and becomes dangerous to humans?

Playing around with viruses for purposes like these is ridiculous and potentially capable of creating a pandemic on the human population the likes of which we have never known. But hey, I guess if it saves a few bucks for some farmers, it's all worth it.

Matra et Alpine
01-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Kitdy, you've been eating GM foods for a long time over there and beef treated with growth hormones ..... so the world you're in is already "ridiculous and 'dangerous'"

LotusLocost
01-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I thought the movie was pretty good, but a bit short..
I am pretty sure it only lasted for 1,5 hrs here.... ??? Should have been longer!
No shame in making a good 3 hrs movie.
I have Das boot directors cut on DVD.. It lasts forever, forever in sweat and depth-charges.

The end of "I am legend" screams a second movie to me.. Anyone know if there will be a lousy second?

hightower99
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Cotterik: The story that I Am Legend is based on also lent huge inpiration to 28 days later... not the other way around.

Also the beasts in I am legend are supposed to be vampires not zombies (hence the UV sensitivity and agility as well as the feeding on blood). In the original book they are much closer to your stereotypical vampires.

Also about the whole "raid the city" idea that you wanted to see more of...

Remember that he is the only normal human around. He believes that he is the sole surviver and therefore the only possible savior. He also knows that the city is literally crawling with the "Dark Seekers" (aka Vampires) who could possibly attack him if he entered a building that was sufficiently dark enough inside. Didn't you notice that in part of the movie he looks at a map where he has marked buildings that are safe? He has more than enough food and supplies to survive for a long time, and he basically has chosen vehicles that he thought would fit certain roles (Mustang was used to chase deer, SUV as a search car). What did you want to see?

Also does anyone know what he (Will Smith) poured on his steps to cover his trail? I hope it isn't bleach or something like that because that would just leave an easier to follow trail...

I hope you like the book but it is a different story.

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 02:18 PM
Also about the whole "raid the city" idea that you wanted to see more of...

Remember that he is the only normal human around. He believes that he is the sole surviver and therefore the only possible savior. He also knows that the city is literally crawling with the "Dark Seekers" (aka Vampires) who could possibly attack him if he entered a building that was sufficiently dark enough inside. Didn't you notice that in part of the movie he looks at a map where he has marked buildings that are safe? He has more than enough food and supplies to survive for a long time, and he basically has chosen vehicles that he thought would fit certain roles (Mustang was used to chase deer, SUV as a search car). What did you want to see?

What I don't get is why he doesn't use light as a weapon. He could make a light grenade thingy with a flashlight and drive them all back. Anyway....

As a colonel in an Army, he should be able to know how to drive a tank. I would have piloted a tank around Manhattan. Much more safe than a freaking Ford Explorer.

hightower99
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
What I don't get is why he doesn't use light as a weapon. He could make a light grenade thingy with a flashlight and drive them all back. Well seeing as they can survive short stints out in the sun I doubt he could make a UV flash strong enough to kill them quickly.

As a colonel in an Army, he should be able to know how to drive a tank. I would have piloted a tank around Manhattan. Much more safe than a freaking Ford Explorer. I know. When he goes nuts and wants to just kill as many of them as possible the best he can do is drive to the docks and try to do alittle ambush with a Ford Explorer??? I would have got a tank or something (I mean the friggin Blackbird is there in harbour). Not to mention a bunch of RPGs and other heavy weapons.

but the best he could do was run over a few... with a ford explorer...

That was pretty much the only time in the movie that I felt abit disappointed.

TVRs4eva
01-09-2008, 02:32 PM
As a colonel in an Army, he should be able to know how to drive a tank. I would have piloted a tank around Manhattan. Much more safe than a freaking Ford Explorer.

Haha good call on the tank, but I'm sure it would have been infinitely more difficult to find fuel for it. Also, it just MIGHT give away his living quarters having an M1A1 parked out front :rolleyes:

hightower99
01-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Haha good call on the tank, but I'm sure it would have been infinitely more difficult to find fuel for it. Also, it just MIGHT give away his living quarters having an M1A1 parked out front :rolleyes:

If he has enough fuel to keep all his generators running aswell as gas up any car he uses then it wouldn't be that much more difficult to fuel an M1A2SEP...

Hopefully he could get his hands on some M1028 120mm AP rounds... (can you say worlds largest shotgun!;))

Of course he couldn't drive and shoot at the same time... So blast a few rounds then drive through them?

60tonnes+ at 67km/h sounds like it will do more damage then he did with the explorer

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Well seeing as they can survive short stints out in the sun I doubt he could make a UV flash strong enough to kill them quickly.

I know. When he goes nuts and wants to just kill as many of them as possible the best he can do is drive to the docks and try to do alittle ambush with a Ford Explorer??? I would have got a tank or something (I mean the friggin Blackbird is there in harbour). Not to mention a bunch of RPGs and other heavy weapons.

It could be a deterrent. To get them off his back real fast.

I would say bring it. As long as the zombies don't reproduce, their screams aren't really going to scratch the tank much. As long as you have enough food, you're set. You might as well make it a mobile command post or something. Hole up in there and the zombies aren't going to do anything to you.

P3RG4R3C
01-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I know. When he goes nuts and wants to just kill as many of them as possible the best he can do is drive to the docks and try to do alittle ambush with a Ford Explorer??? I would have got a tank or something (I mean the friggin Blackbird is there in harbour). Not to mention a bunch of RPGs and other heavy weapons.

I think that he tried to do a suicide or something in that portion of the movie because he was depressed by the loss of his dog. And when the lady saves him he realizes that it was a stupid idea. I dunno, that is my perception of the whole Explorer killing spree.

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Kitdy, you've been eating GM foods for a long time over there and beef treated with growth hormones ..... so the world you're in is already "ridiculous and 'dangerous'"

I am completely aware of this. The difference is, we don't know the possible dangers for GM foods but we do know that virus tampering definitely does pose a danger. All of these silly things should be stopped.

hightower99
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
I am completely aware of this. The difference is, we don't know the possible dangers for GM foods but we do know that virus tampering definitely does pose a danger. All of these silly things should be stopped.

ummm contradict much...?

So because it is unknown what sort of health problems GM foods might cause it doesn't concern you in the least while knowing that people who know what they are doing modifying a virus for several good causes incurs your wrath?

There are many ways to use a virus and they can be used for several purposes. As long as the people responsible know what they are doing (they do) then there is little possibility of trouble.

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
ummm contradict much...?

So because it is unknown what sort of health problems GM foods might cause it doesn't concern you in the least while knowing that people who know what they are doing modifying a virus for several good causes incurs your wrath?

There are many ways to use a virus and they can be used for several purposes. As long as the people responsible know what they are doing (they do) then there is little possibility of trouble.

I think you have misread me, and I am pretty sure I have not contradicted myself.

I in no way sanction GM foods - in my post you'll notice I called for this practice to be stopped.

My point is that for GM products, there is at least an excuse that exists in public consciousness that it has been neither proven or disproven that GM foods cause harm. Man-made viruses however, have truly identifiable dangers and these are clear to all, look at the recent outbreaks of Mad Cow Disease, SARS, and bird flu. All of these viruses have jumped in between species and subsequently become very infectious to humans.

Designing a deadly virus with the aim of eliminating the rabbit population seems to be a very dangerous thing to do. What if in a hundred years the virus mutates and becomes capable of infecting humans?

Both GM foods and man-made viruses in my eyes are extremely foolish practices with unknown possible results.

Quiggs
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Why do people insist on overanalyzing science fiction movies?

The_Canuck
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM

What do you mean "over there" :p, were not the U.S with their freaking nuclear milk...theres many restrictions on what farmers can do here...

And kitdy, you're paranoid...

my porsche
01-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Much more safe than a freaking Ford Explorer.

Yes, very true. But this was an Expedition. :p

Also does anyone know what he (Will Smith) poured on his steps to cover his trail? I hope it isn't bleach or something like that because that would just leave an easier to follow trail...

Chuck Norris' urine. It has no scent, and is a deterrent to most large land mammals.

Quiggs
01-09-2008, 05:52 PM
It was ammonia.

Matra et Alpine
01-09-2008, 06:31 PM
What do you mean "over there" :p, were not the U.S with their freaking nuclear milk...theres many restrictions on what farmers can do here......
Genetic Modificatinos don't respect national boundaries I'm afraid :)

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Why do people insist on overanalyzing science fiction movies?

What's wrong with thinking?

Have you forgot about that already? :D

Quiggs
01-09-2008, 06:37 PM
No, but movies are made to entertain. Don't over think them. ESPECIALLY movies that involve made up creatures. It's like if I watched Jurassic Park and said, "Oh, the T-rex could never have run that fast."

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
No, but movies are made to entertain. Don't over think them. ESPECIALLY movies that involve made up creatures. It's like if I watched Jurassic Park and said, "Oh, the T-rex could never have run that fast."

Fair enough.

Funny that you say that. I really enjoyed the movie by itself, but I enjoyed thinking about the more complex stuff too. Maybe I just like overworking my brain.

RacingManiac
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Fair enough.

Maybe I just like overworking my brain.

Are you in engineering then?

lol

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 07:37 PM
And kitdy, you're paranoid...

I may be paranoid in certain other circumstances, but when you are dealing with genetics, viruses, and the unknown, it is generally a good idea to display some extreme discretion.

In fact, I don't consider myself paranoid about this at all. History, if has taught us anything, has taught us that when situations are underanalyzed and chances are taken with reckless abandon, the results can be devastating. The unknown can be, and frequently is, exceptionally dangerous.

Medieval Times

Lack of plumbing leads to proliferation of the bubonic plague.

Early medical practices frequently involve processes that make the patient more ill than they were before.

Industrial Revolution

Lead is used in many consumer goods and results in many instances of lead poisoning.

Radioactive materials are discovered and their glowing properties are added to many consumer items such as paint. Early researchers with radiation develop cancer and perish.

Modern Era

Use of early pesticides leads to rising cancer rates in predator/prey systems in industrialized countries and the contaminants biomagnify to have significant effect on human population.

During the Vietnam war, Agent Orange is sprayed to deforest regions in enemy territory. Years later, it is discovered that Agent Orange is a carcinogen and leads to an marked increase in birth defects.

Use of heavily processed foods and trans-fats leads to increase in cancer rates around the world, as well as increased heart disease.

Pollution from power manufacturing facilities, industry, and transportation cause marked increase in air contaminates. Respiratory illness worldwide increases dramatically. CO2 rises faster than any other time in recorded history and the Earth heats up far and away more than any other natural cycle in the past. The ramifications of this pollution are simply unknown at this point. Suffice to stay, pollution is directly responsible for the extinction of an unknown amount of species, the deaths of millions if not billions of lives both human and otherwise.

All of these things happened because people did things they did not know were harmful to start and ended up causing significant damage in one way or another to the earth an/or it's inhabitants. In light of all this information, do you really think I am paranoid about this, or am I one of the few that understands the problem? Keep in mind, all these things are only the tip of the iceberg. I can simply not think of all the other damage that this race has done to our planet, it's inhabitants, and ourselves.

I don't think I am the paranoid one. I think I am an alarmist - one with sufficient precedence and evidence that reveals current genetic modification processes and the virus manufacturing may result in grave consequences. I think others are ignorant and have not learned anything from history. If you still think I am paranoid I suggest you think about this a little harder, and hopefully you will come to the same conclusion I have - shit is really ****ed up right now and we have got to start affecting change to save the lives of many before it is too late.

Quiggs
01-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Lol, you said boob. PS I'm durnk. <3

The_Canuck
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Lol inconvienent troof

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you in engineering then?

lol

Nah, I'm more of a philosophical type of person. Lately, college essays have been making me think a lot. That, and see the side note in the post below.

I'll give you an example. I was trying to prove capitalism wrong. That's just the tip of the iceberg for me. :D

I suck at math, by the way.

NSXType-R
01-09-2008, 08:34 PM
I may be paranoid in certain other circumstances, but when you are dealing with genetics, viruses, and the unknown, it is generally a good idea to display some extreme discretion.

All of these things happened because people did things they did not know were harmful to start and ended up causing significant damage in one way or another to the earth an/or it's inhabitants. In light of all this information, do you really think I am paranoid about this, or am I one of the few that understands the problem? Keep in mind, all these things are only the tip of the iceberg. I can simply not think of all the other damage that this race has done to our planet, it's inhabitants, and ourselves.

I don't think I am the paranoid one. I think I am an alarmist - one with sufficient precedence and evidence that reveals current genetic modification processes and the virus manufacturing may result in grave consequences. I think others are ignorant and have not learned anything from history. If you still think I am paranoid I suggest you think about this a little harder, and hopefully you will come to the same conclusion I have - shit is really ****ed up right now and we have got to start affecting change to save the lives of many before it is too late.

Not at all. I think our smartness will be our downfall. Wasteful spending, credit woes, huge amounts of garbage, dwindling oil supplies. The list goes on.

Our society is messed up. Humans aren't perfect. Something has bound to be wrong with us, one way or another. It's just how the world works. Just hope that you can make a difference in the future.

(Side note- a class that I am taking in high school is making me think of these things more often. It really is depressing. It's Romance Philology- psychology and foreign languages all wrapped into one. Plus the teacher is amazing. Wonderful class, it made me look at the world in a different way. I'm loving senior year.)

Kitdy
01-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Not at all. I think our smartness will be our downfall. Wasteful spending, credit woes, huge amounts of garbage, dwindling oil supplies. The list goes on.

Our society is messed up. Humans aren't perfect. Something has bound to be wrong with us, one way or another. It's just how the world works. Just hope that you can make a difference in the future.

(Side note- a class that I am taking in high school is making me think of these things more often. It really is depressing. It's Romance Philology- psychology and foreign languages all wrapped into one. Plus the teacher is amazing. Wonderful class, it made me look at the world in a different way. I'm loving senior year.)

Good to hear some critical thinking NSX. School can open your eyes to shit you never thought about before. The good thing about high school is it is very easy to interact with your teacher, though the material isn't alyways exactly that complex.

In university on the other hand, you have to make an effort to contact your professor, but also courses tend to be a bit more cerebral and more enlightening - at least, depending on where you go.

What do you want to do in uni?

adrenaline
01-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Quite an enjoyable movie. However, it was way too short and left too many noticeable holes. It seemed to be building up to a thrilling finale - which never actually happened in my opinion. I was expecting an ending that tied up all the loose ends. I certainly expected something to come of the Zombie leader. I wanted to see his cure save the human race, not hear some woman talk about it just before the closing credits. I have no idea why they made it so short. From what I've read, many scenes were cut. They cut out a scene in New York where he drove the GT500 out of the front window of a Ford dealer. Why cut that?

YouTube - 07 SHELBY JUMPS THROUGH A SHOWROOM WINDOW WILL SMITH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNRBEuuQzNc)

Also, to those arguing about the virus: viruses don't mutate and become airborne. Not that it even matters - it's a movie.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and will recommend it to others. it just could have been so, so much better than it was, in terms of the ending and gaps in the story. I really wanted to see more flashbacks to the evacuation of Manhattan. The flashbacks that were provided were still very awesome though. I think this movie was largely saved by brilliant acting by Smith (as usual), and the incredible setting of an empty New York. I honestly think that if it was played by a lesser actor, I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

Overall: 8.5/10

For those of you analyzing the science in the movie, have a read of this article by Popular Mechanics. They analyze some pressing issues in the movie, from the possibility of a world-wide killer virus, to how Smith could have survived for a LONG time with all the petrol in NYC for his generators. They even discussed how the suspension bridge fell incorrectly during the evacuation.

I Am Legend Junk Science - Hollywood Fact vs. Fiction - Sci-Fi Reality - Will Smith - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/worst_case_scenarios/4236920.html)

hightower99
01-10-2008, 12:59 AM
It was ammonia.

Ok then I would have thought that the vampires would have a much eaiser time tracking the scent of ammonia then trying to track the scent of Will Smith and dog....

Dumping a bunch of ammonia on my front steps would not be the first thing I think of to keep vampires of my trail...

Yes, very true. But this was an Expedition. true that. Still a big Ford SUV...

Kitdy: I suggest you read about the history of virology. One of the key factors to working with viruses is how to grow them. Originally virologists had to infect small animals and allow the virus to grow within them. But ever since 1949 when a group of 3 virologists where able to cultivate the Polio virus in a highly controlled manner with cultures of living animal cells for which they won a Nobel prize for in 1954, virologistic work has become much safer and reliable.

However viruses are obviously dangerous. Influenza viruses are known to be some of the worst because they basically go around the world in seasonal epidemics killings millions in pandemic years and hundreads of thousands during non-pandemic years. There have been 3 pandemic occurances of influenza in the 20th century and a new strain named A(H5N1) (aka bird flu) is what virologists are worried might become the next pandemic flu. So far no human-human transmission has occured and niether has airbourne transmission. The reason virologists worry is because so far A(H5N1) has a 60% death rate for infected humans (although this number is slightly inflated due to the fact that only a small number of people have been infected).

fpv_gtho
01-10-2008, 05:31 AM
You know, I am not that sure how viruses work but I am aware that some of the deadliest in recent memory have all come form animals. In light of this, creating a virus capable of killing 99% of rabbits seems to be one of the stupidest ideas I have heard of in recent memory. What happens if the virus mutates and becomes dangerous to humans?

Playing around with viruses for purposes like these is ridiculous and potentially capable of creating a pandemic on the human population the likes of which we have never known.

Theres significant differences between something such as bird flu jumping onto the human flu strain or from AIDS being transmitted from monkets from a virus being modified to attack a particular strand of DNA.

The biggest dangers with doing things like this is in a few hundred years if they persist with viral extinction, they'll have a breed of super-rabbits which will only die from blunt force trauma. Its just like how penicillin isnt strong enough anymore for some bacterial infections.

But hey, I guess if it saves a few bucks for some farmers, it's all worth it.

I'd strongly suggest you read this: Rabbits in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbits_in_Australia)

The farmers are somewhat down the list when it comes to those affected by rabbits.

It probably wouldve made more sense, but the movie seems to have been on-and-off for about 15 years now with various attempts to lower the budget estimates. I guess some fat cheques from Ford helped get it in cinemas before 2010.

Cotterik
01-10-2008, 05:47 AM

I hope you like the book but it is a different story.

Maybe garlic diluted in water? would make sense :rolleyes:

The book arrived this morning. Looking forward to reading through it. And as to what you said about I Am Legend influencing the creation of 28 Days Later I can agree with. Although isnt the book not set in New York? The idea of isolation in 28 days later may have sparked the creation and the setting of the movie. Thats what I meant.

hightower99
01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe garlic diluted in water? would make sense :rolleyes:

The book arrived this morning. Looking forward to reading through it. And as to what you said about I Am Legend influencing the creation of 28 Days Later I can agree with. Although isnt the book not set in New York? The idea of isolation in 28 days later may have sparked the creation and the setting of the movie. Thats what I meant.

The book is set in southern california and is supposed to be set during mid to late 70s (76-79 I think) of course it was written in 1954 so it isn't entirely accurate of late 70s california.

And 28 days later is set in London... Not New York City.

Also the idea of a viral pandemic is new for the film version as it was a bacterial pandemic in the book... and he (Robert/Will Smith) is the only normal human left on earth.

They did redo alot of the story in this movie and yes they probably took some stylistic inspiration from 28 days later.

Cotterik
01-10-2008, 08:46 AM
The book is set in southern california and is supposed to be set during mid to late 70s (76-79 I think) of course it was written in 1954 so it isn't entirely accurate of late 70s california.

And 28 days later is set in London... Not New York City.

Also the idea of a viral pandemic is new for the film version as it was a bacterial pandemic in the book... and he (Robert/Will Smith) is the only normal human left on earth.

They did redo alot of the story in this movie and yes they probably took some stylistic inspiration from 28 days later.

ofcourse 28 days later is set in london. When did I ever say it wasnt? :rolleyes: When I said it inspired the movie for the settings I meant to do it in a well -known city that the viewer can relate to and be done to maximum effect by showing a usually packed city completely deserted.

I'm going to start reading the book now. *Hibernates*

MRR
01-10-2008, 09:50 AM
ofcourse 28 days later is set in london. When did I ever say it wasnt? :rolleyes: When I said it inspired the movie for the settings I meant to do it in a well -known city that the viewer can relate to and be done to maximum effect by showing a usually packed city completely deserted.

I'm going to start reading the book now. *Hibernates*

The book is a lot different with the ending and the title "I am Legend" means something totally different.

NSXType-R
01-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Good to hear some critical thinking NSX. School can open your eyes to shit you never thought about before. The good thing about high school is it is very easy to interact with your teacher, though the material isn't alyways exactly that complex.

In university on the other hand, you have to make an effort to contact your professor, but also courses tend to be a bit more cerebral and more enlightening - at least, depending on where you go.

What do you want to do in uni?

I'm planning to be a doctor or to do something in the field of science. Other than that, not sure really. I really will miss high school though. I'm halfway through it already.

Sigh........

NSXType-R
01-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Quite an enjoyable movie. However, it was way too short and left too many noticeable holes. It seemed to be building up to a thrilling finale - which never actually happened in my opinion. I was expecting an ending that tied up all the loose ends. I certainly expected something to come of the Zombie leader. I wanted to see his cure save the human race, not hear some woman talk about it just before the closing credits. I have no idea why they made it so short. From what I've read, many scenes were cut. They cut out a scene in New York where he drove the GT500 out of the front window of a Ford dealer. Why cut that?

YouTube - 07 SHELBY JUMPS THROUGH A SHOWROOM WINDOW WILL SMITH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNRBEuuQzNc)

Also, to those arguing about the virus: viruses don't mutate and become airborne. Not that it even matters - it's a movie.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie and will recommend it to others. it just could have been so, so much better than it was, in terms of the ending and gaps in the story. I really wanted to see more flashbacks to the evacuation of Manhattan. The flashbacks that were provided were still very awesome though. I think this movie was largely saved by brilliant acting by Smith (as usual), and the incredible setting of an empty New York. I honestly think that if it was played by a lesser actor, I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

Overall: 8.5/10

Yeah, it seems as if it's been cut to pieces. Whoever edited didn't do their job properly. The movie fails on the closing, but I still enjoyed it.

Can't viruses be able to be transferred through the air? (as in someone coughs, the virus is now in the air)
Not as the virus mutates wings and decides to fly to another person.

Thanks for the Popular Science article. I just subscribed recently, but I haven't recieved every magazine. Somehow I've been getting subscription holes...?

Kitdy
01-10-2008, 06:41 PM
Theres significant differences between something such as bird flu jumping onto the human flu strain or from AIDS being transmitted from monkets from a virus being modified to attack a particular strand of DNA.

The danger may be extremely small, but as I said, given many generations of mutation, the virus may become viable for humans or even other species and cause more untold damage. The effects of the virus on another species could even have a similar affect on Australia as the original rabbit introduction did - the problem once again and the danger is, it is unknown.

The fact of the matter is that the scientists probably knew that the virus wouldn't be 100% lethal in the first place and that the rabbits would have immunity and repopulate, so why bother with the virus in the first place? A potential danger to other species with no benefit major benefit to anyone, that seems foolish to me.

fpv_gtho
01-10-2008, 06:45 PM
A potential danger to other species with no benefit major benefit to anyone, that seems foolish to me.

Erradicating a feral pest which has devastated the landscape, populated to several hundred millioin country wide and responsible for the extinction of several native plants and animals isnt a major benefit?

aNOBLEman
01-10-2008, 07:37 PM
The danger may be extremely small, but as I said, given many generations of mutation, the virus may become viable for humans or even other species and cause more untold damage. The effects of the virus on another species could even have a similar affect on Australia as the original rabbit introduction did - the problem once again and the danger is, it is unknown.

And those many generations occur in mere hours for viruses. Take the AIDS/HIV virus for example. At the beginning of treatment against the virus much of the population is taken out; however, there are a few that are immune and then they reproduce creating an entire population of immune viruses. Continued treatment with the same drug will therefore have no effect on this population.

This is why doctors have developed a treatment plan that includes different drugs and periods of no treatment at all to combat this.

whiteballz
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Man-made viruses however, have truly identifiable dangers and these are clear to all, look at the recent outbreaks of Mad Cow Disease, SARS, and bird flu. All of these viruses have jumped in between species and subsequently become very infectious to humans.

Since the end of 2003, mutation of the H5N1 virus so that it can be easily transmissible among humans has been a nightmare for the world health community, raising concerns of a global influenza pandemic that could claim tens of millions of lives.

But Bernard Vallat, director general of the World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE), said no evidence of any such genetic shift had emerged.

"We have never seen a virus which has been so stable for so long. Compared to other viruses, it is extremely stable, which minimises the risk of mutation into a pandemic strain"

From H5N1 bird flu virus reassuringly stable: animal health chief - Breaking News - World - Breaking News (http://news.smh.com.au/h5n1-bird-flu-virus-reassuringly-stable-animal-health-chief/20080110-1lbo.html)

Read that just after reading this, caught my eye as potentially useful/interesting for this thread.

Kitdy
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
Erradicating a feral pest which has devastated the landscape, populated to several hundred millioin country wide and responsible for the extinction of several native plants and animals isnt a major benefit?

No, because the attempt was doomed to fail, and surely the designers of the virus knew this. The rabbits simply survived and repopulated.

fpv_gtho
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
So they should have done nothing? Let the rabbits keep multiplying until maybe there was a couple of billion roaming the country?

Matra et Alpine
01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
No, because the attempt was doomed to fail, and surely the designers of the virus knew this. The rabbits simply survived and repopulated.
The "knowledge" you are basing that comment on is from the experience of attempts like this.
It's easy to look backwards and "know" that things were doomed to fail :)

Kitdy
01-12-2008, 01:18 AM
So they should have done nothing? Let the rabbits keep multiplying until maybe there was a couple of billion roaming the country?

I think the best move would have been to do nothing.

The "knowledge" you are basing that comment on is from the experience of attempts like this.
It's easy to look backwards and "know" that things were doomed to fail :)

I'm not too sure about this. I would imagine accomplished virologists, biologists, and immunologists would have a good idea that the rabbit population would not be totally exterminated and that they would survive.

I could be wrong.

clutch-monkey
01-12-2008, 01:51 AM

Playing around with viruses for purposes like these is ridiculous and potentially capable of creating a pandemic on the human population the likes of which we have never known. But hey, I guess if it saves a few bucks for some farmers, it's all worth it.
it'd be more dangerous, than say, a similar virus targetting the GIT of a pig. virus's unlike bacteria so far as i know reproduce by using existing cells, so targeting a specific cell etc isn't especially dangerous.

blow holes in buildings to expose them to light :D

we do know from what i recall, the danger is because of the way the gene's are spliced in to the food plant using bacteria, the risk is that that the added characteristic, say, a growth patern or immunity to herbicides, isn't broken down entirely in your stomach and recombines with the benign bacteria in your large intestine. so your intestine swells with a flourishing bacteria colony resistant to herbicides...
afaik it's already happened at least once, but wasn't too seriious (not fatal)

I'm planning to be a doctor or to do something in the field of science. Other than that, not sure really. I really will miss high school though. I'm halfway through it already.

Sigh........
doctor is always win.
although real doctors treat more than one species :D :p

The danger may be extremely small, but as I said, given many generations of mutation, the virus may become viable for humans or even other species and cause more untold damage.
it's been awhile since my microbiol classes but aren't bacteria much more prone to mutation than viruses?

The fact of the matter is that the scientists probably knew that the virus wouldn't be 100% lethal in the first place and that the rabbits would have immunity and repopulate, so why bother with the virus in the first place? A potential danger to other species with no benefit major benefit to anyone, that seems foolish to me.
doesn't matter if it isn't 100%, something that specifically kills rabbits, a large fraction of them, for a decade or so is well worth the minor risks. 1080 poisoning has collateral damage (despite whatever the eco f*ck nuts tell you..) with native omnivores especially, and has to be manually placed.
There aren't enough hunters to specifically take out rabbits outside of small areas (and national parks provide a big breeding ground to allow them to spread back out to surrounding land).
it's all about management and letting the ecosystem recover.

I think the best move would have been to do nothing.

seriously, not an option. pigs and rabbit seach, cause something like $65 worth of damage per day per animal to farmland and the same again on the ecology...

fpv_gtho
01-12-2008, 05:14 AM
The rabbit population was around 600 million in the 1950's when they first tried to biologically erradicate them. They dropped their numbers down to 100 million, which had risen back to 250-300 million by the 1990's when they made a 2nd attempt. I think its reasonable to assume that had they done "nothing", the 90's levels wouldve been at least around 1.5-1.8 billion. Thats about 100 rabbits per person, or 260 per square kilometre. The likelyhood is the numbers would be alot higher, as i only calculated that based on how much the population multiplied between the 50's and 90's, and related that back to 50's population numbers. With 6 times the population available to breed, surely the numbers would increase by more than a factor of 2.5-3 as they did with only 100 million.

MRR
01-12-2008, 08:28 AM

I dunno this one comes pretty close . Look at the Zaire strain and its highly contagious

Ebola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola)

orshow
01-12-2008, 04:54 PM

It was vinegar. You can see bottles of it in the music 'store' when Neville goes to get some tunes.

hightower99
01-12-2008, 06:42 PM
I dunno this one comes pretty close . Look at the Zaire strain and its highly contagious

Ebola - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola)

I said infection rate not mortality rate...

It is very likely that an aggressive virus could have 100% fatality rate, however as stated in the wiki article, viruses that are that lethal will inevitably run out of hosts and burn out before they spread to far.

For a world killing virus to exist it needs to be infectious enough that over 90% of human population get infected and the infection of all of those people must happen fast so it should probably be airbourne. It needs to be 100% fatal but relatively slow acting which is a hard thing to do (the slower it works the longer the body has to create better defenceses), also airbourne viruses tend to act fast as opposed to slowly.

hightower99
01-12-2008, 06:44 PM
It was vinegar. You can see bottles of it in the music 'store' when Neville goes to get some tunes.

Yeah sounds alot better... still smells but it doesn't evaporate as much and the smell isn't as strong.

waggles
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
What amazed me was the quickness of the onset of the virus, you know, when the dog gets bitten, and an hour or two later, it is showing mutanted characteristics?

NSXType-R
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
What amazed me was the quickness of the onset of the virus, you know, when the dog gets bitten, and an hour or two later, it is showing mutanted characteristics?

The power of Hollywood....... :D