PDA

View Full Version : Russian motorsport history

faksta
01-10-2008, 08:48 AM
As was requested, I'm starting a new thread about the history of Russian (pre-Soviet and Soviet) motorsports. I hope I'll be able to cover the maximum of it and will add the info periodically.

Not to be a 'thief', here are some major sources:
- Artem Kiselev - 'Battle for Formula' (RU, 2006),
- tsar-auto-club.spb.ru,
- other websites and forums (AtlasF1 forums, f1.pluto.net.ru forums, stop-n-go.ru/ussr-autosport and others),
- magazines and articles I have,

Hope I'm not violating this forum's rules providing the links :)

faksta
01-10-2008, 10:37 AM
The first automotive competition in Russian Empire, 1898.

First automotive race ever held in Russia was initiated by Louis Mazy - French driver, who opened a shop in St.-Petersberg called 'Bicycles and motors' to deal with Clement, Gladiator and Phebus companies. Before it opened there were only about 12 cars (almost all were Benz cars, except one Delahaye, which, in turn, was a copy of German car) and several motorcycles (Hildebrandt and Wolfmuller) in St.-Petersberg. The race was planned to be an advertisement for his production and for horseless transport in general. Mazy's companions in case of competition organization were members of Society for Cycling in Russia.

However, the start, aimed on October 4, 1898, was rescheduled. The reason was a poor condition of the roads, which had to take the event - Volhonskoye highway was completely unready for racing. Mazy had to take it himself, and till October, 11 the roads were repaired. But the same day a snowfall happened in St.-Petersberg, and the roads were covered with a huge amount of snow. Frightened, Mazy tried to drive those roads himself, but nothing came out of this. But since the meeting was dropped, the race couldn't already be cancelled. Moreover, he had to prove that horseless carriages were more convenient than the traditional ones.

14 drivers were willing to participate, but only seven of them were actually present: two French racers - Louis Mazy himself and Alfonce Merl, and five Russians - Pavel Belyaev, Stepanov, Schneiderov, V.I. von Lode and Lavrentiev (couldn't find first names of last four). The race distance was 39 versts (old Russian measure of distance, 1 verst = 1,0668 kilometers) long. The start was held up near Alexandrovskaya railroad station, then the drivers had to hit Volhonskoye highway to Strel'na and head back to start. Six of seven participants drove the same Clement tricycles equipped with De-Dion engines with air cooling and 1,75hp output. Lavrentiev had the only four-wheeler - 6,5hp Benz Velo, but his result was not to be counted, as the weight of his Benz was 52 poods (1 pood = 16,3804815 kg), whereas maximum weight allowed was 6 poods.

Starting order:

10:08 - von Lode,
10:13 - Schneiderov,
10:15 - Stepanov,
10:17 - Belyaev,
10:19 - Mazy,
10:21 - Merl,
10:25 - Lavrentiev.

Very soon after start von Lode hit the horse carriage (frightened horse turned it across the road) and turns upside down. One wheel was damaged, so there was no chance to run further. 45 minutes after start Mazy returned - his engine broke at about 12th verst. The first actual competitor finished at 11:50.

Finishing order (finish time):

1. Belyaev (11:50), av.speed 27,3 km/h,
2. Stepanov (12:04),
3. Merl (12:06),
4. Schneiderov (12:17),

5. Lavrentiev (after the timing was closed), not counted.

But race results differed from the upper list, as they depended on a time spent to complete the distance. Thus, the results list was following:

Race results:

1. Belyaev (1:33:36),
2. Merl (1:45:36),
3. Stepanov (1:49:24),
4. Schneiderov (2:04),

5. Lavrentiev (2:11), not counted.

As Belyaev told later, it was very hard to run such snowy roads (as some joke about Russian roads, Russia has directions, not roads) and going up the hills he had to help with his feet.

Pictures:

1. Pavel Belyaev on his Clement tricycle, 1898 (earlier that year). Source: tsar-auto-club.spb.ru.
2. Benz Velo - not Lavrentiev's example, and not in Russia.

faksta
01-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Moscow-St.-Petersberg, 1899.

In 1899, after such success of the previous year competition, Louis Mazy decided to make a 100-verst race. A traditional cycling race should’ve been taken between Moscow and St.-Petersberg that year, so the cars were included in cycling event.
The race, scheduled on June, 20, saw six drivers (excluding cyclists): Louis Mazy (Clement-DeDion 2,25hp four-seater quadricycle with a bicycle seat), Gerz (Germany, drove 6-seater car), Comber (France) and Trubetskoi (Russia, both 8hp 2-seater cars), Schneiderov and Andrei Abrikosov (both raced for Russia and drove 1,75hp Clement tricycles).
The route was following: Moscow – Torzhok - Vyshnyi Volochek – Nizhnyi Novgorod - Tsarskoe Selo, so the distance was not 100, but 650 versts (693,42 km).

Starting order:

12:30 – Mazy,
12:31 – Schneiderov,
12:32 – Abrikosov,
12:33 – Trubetskoi,
12:34 – Gerz,
12:35 – Comber.

Race direction counted tentative finish time and was waiting the first car back at 8-9 in the morning, but they didn’t note the human factor – drivers was tired, so the winner – Mazy, who leaded from start to finish – finished at 10:22. Trubetskoi and Abrikosov were 2nd and 3rd respectively, but were so slow that finished even after cyclists.

Race results:

1. Mazy (26:58),
2. Trubetskoi (42:59),
3. Abrikosov (42:23, disqualified),
Schneiderov (ret. – mechanical breakdown at Torzhok),
Comber (ret. – no one knows what happened to him up to now),
Gerz (ret.)

Revo
01-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Poor old Comber - I take it that noone ever saw him again?

Great thread, great stories. This is exactly the stuff I was hoping for......much appreciated.:)

faksta
01-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Poor old Comber - I take it that noone ever saw him again?

Great thread, great stories. This is exactly the stuff I was hoping for......much appreciated.:)

Thanks.
The phrase in the book sounded like 'Presumably, he suffered from mechanical breakdown, though no information about his destiny exist up to date'.

BTW, if someone could find pics of Clement-De Dion 2.25 hp quadricycle with a bicycle seat, it would be greatly appreciated :D

faksta
01-10-2008, 02:10 PM
May, 1899. 0,25-mile sprint.

In May, 1899 St.-Petersberg saw the first in Russian history 0.25-mile sprint on track. Kamennoostrovskyi velodrome was chosen as an arena for this event. Scheme of race was rather interesting – the best result was chosen of 53 laps on a track, thus defining a winner.
By completing a 0.25-mile lap in 26 seconds (55,7 km/h), Mazy won the race driving a 1.75hp tricycle (I suppose, Clement again). The whole 20-versts distance was better completed by Kumel on 2hp Aster-engined tricycle (24 minutes 56,8 seconds) at average speed 52,3 km/h.
As I understood from the sources I used, this event was a motorcycle race, but the fact that tricycles participated in it allows to consider it a part of automotive racing history.

I may work a bit slower sometimes - I have to pass the exams, yet three left.

Ferrer
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Good luck with the exams.

And great thread indeed. :)

faksta
01-11-2008, 05:02 AM
5-miles run

The same year in June drivers met again to compete on a velodrome in Moscow. The objective was a 5-miles run, in which Tideman (Russia) on tricycle took first place with the result of 11:36.8 (41,564 km/h), and the second place goes to Rudolf-Robert Lundberg (Russia, see below), who completed the distance driving a 4-seater car in 12:37.6 (38,229 km/h).

August (May?), 1899 – First record setting attempt.

In August, 1899 (according to another sources – May, 21) Russian driver from Strelna Rudolf-Robert Lundberg sets the first Russian landspeed record near St.-Petersberg, completing the 25-verst distance in 0:51:31’2 and showing the speed of 31,07km/h.

27.08.1899 – 100 versts for Samokat prize.

The first race for Samokat magazine’s prize was held in 27.08.1899 at 100-versts distance (Ligovo – Gatchina – Krasnoe Selo – Strelna – Volhonka – Ligovo) and attracted 8 competitors, all driving Clement tricycles. The winner was Louis Mazy with 2:43:38 result (39,117 km/h).

Picture:

Typical start of tricycle race.

faksta
01-11-2008, 05:04 AM
Good luck with the exams.

And great thread indeed. :)

Thanks! Luck will be demanded :)

faksta
01-11-2008, 06:02 AM
II Cup of Society for Cycling.

The first event in XX century took place on 16.01.1900. The competitors had to drive from Alexandrovskaya again, as in the first race in 1898, but this time the route was changed: Alexandrovskaya – Krasnoe Selo – Gatchina – Pulkovo – Alexandrovskaya (65 versts in general). The direction was the same as for 1898 first race, too – the Society for Cycling.
This time four of the five starters rode tricycles – 1.75hp (Stepanov and Vadim Mihailov) and 2.25hp (Fedor Tansky and Samuel Suurmets). The only four-wheeler was entered by the only foreigner – Barbais (France) drove a 16hp Mors, but he didn’t see the finish – somewhere on the distance he gave up and refused to remain the race.

Race results:

1. Vadim Mihailov (2:17:00, 30,369 km/h),
2. Stepanov (2:50:00, 24,474 km/h),
3. Fedor Tansky,
4. Samuel Suurmets,
ret. Barbais

Picture:

This is how the Barbais' Mors 16hp might look like: M Jenatzy with his 16hp Mors in 1899. Source: viewimages.com.

Revo
01-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Just a little sidenote. Samuel Suurmets can be considered as the first Estonian rally driver. But since we were a part of a Russian Empire back then, he appeares as a Russian in the contemporary race protocols.

faksta
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
In March First Russian Automobile Club in Moscow imposes its first regulations statues.

1900 Luga - St.-Petersberg.

Held on June, 11 and organized by Samokat magazine Luga – St.-Petersberg 140-versts run was first time in Russia divided into two categories – tricycles and cars.
The favorite for the race was Hippolyte-Auguste Deschamps from France, who drove a 2.25hp DeDion-Bouton tricycle. The machine behaved good, so Deschamps became an overall winner and also took a win in tricycle class.
One of the participants was Andrei Nagel - founder and director of Automobile magazine in Russia, which was printed through 1902-1917 and founder of Sport magazine in 1900. Besides, he often entered racing events and was famous person. This competition was his first attempt. Driving a Starley-Psycho tricycle, he started very good and overtook a favorite – Deschamps, but after 7 versts a sharp stone punctured his tyre and the race was lost.
Participants were prepared well for the race. Fedor Tansky, director of Pobeda company, which sold cars and motorcycles in St.-Petersberg, ordered a special 4hp Sonsin engine, which he exhausted during the race. Louis Mazy entered a Starley car – he began to sell Starley’s after Clement cars and tricycles. The new car went fine, but French driver had to stop from time to time – the water leaked through the pipes. Nevertheless, he completed the distance in 6h 55m, but was beaten by Loginov (Russia). Loginov drove a two-seater car and spent 5h 06m.
Vadim Mihailov and Fomin (Russia, don’t know the first name), both on tricycles, suffered from sparking plugs – their stocks went empty soon, and Samuel Suurmets had some accident during the race.
Thus, in tricycle class the only one who finished was the winner – Deschamps –3h 46m 30s after he started in Luga. He lost his cap, glasses, keys, punctured a tyre, but nevertheless he won.

Race results:

Tricycles
1. Deschamps 3:46’30 (overall winner),
Ret. Suurmets,
Ret. Tansky,
Ret. Mihailov,
Ret. Nagel,
Ret. Fomin.

Cars
1. Loginov 5:06,
2. Mazy 6:55.

Picture:

Andrei Nagel.

faksta
01-12-2008, 07:52 AM
Since I've mentioned, here's a bit more.
Alongside with the above Moscow Club in 1900 a Moscow Automobiles Society (gonna be this way, I guess) was founded by N.Scherbatov. Moscow Automobiles Society (MAO - Moskovskoye Avtomobil'noe Obschestvo) was based in Scherbatov's residence in Tushino (Moscow) - Bratzevskyi palace, now the architectural monument (memorial? whatever). The MAO had its own atributes - peak-cap and a triangle-shaped tag put on cars belonged to MAO members.

Picture:

MAO arms. Low-res, but I'll try to find a higher-res version anywhere and update it.

ZeTurbo
01-12-2008, 07:57 AM
great thread dude, this stuff is great!

faksta
01-12-2008, 08:00 AM
great thread dude, this stuff is great!

Thanks! I'm trying to structurize it :) If I won't turn into plant sitting in front of the monitor, I'll make it up to nineties. :D
Yes, and I think it will be ok to post cars specs here, and not in classic cars section? It should be more convenient.

faksta
01-14-2008, 02:37 PM
II Moscow - St.-Petersberg run.

The second race between Russian capitals was dropped on 1900 August, 7 and obviously wasn’t the most popular race from drivers’ point of view. Cars were presented by only two competitors – Mazy on Starley-Psycho 3.5hp voiturette and J.G.Genrik (France) on Mors 4hp car. Genrik was a new Clement director in St.-Petersberg after Mazy had joined Starley. But even those two entrants were more than one starter driving a tricycle – Deschamps on his DeDion-Bouton 2.25hp, who have already won Luga-St.-Petersberg race. However, this time he won again. Partly due to both cars retirement, partly to his speed – at average 26,282 km/h he spent 26 hours and 17 minutes on 650 versts distance. That was a record for a three-wheeler – Mazy’s previous year time was beaten by 15 minutes.

Race results:

1. Deschamps 26:23.00
Ret. Mazy
Ret. Genrik

First Russian Hillclimb

Arranged as an equivalent of French hillclimb competitions, the race happened on July, 2 was a first ever hillclimb in Russia. It provided some useful information for further automotive industry development. It concerned gearboxes – the cars fitted with them behaved much better going up the hill than ones with only one gear. Almost all period drivers tried their best in a competition held on a hill near Krasnoe Selo going up from Strelna side, but Pavel Belyaev on 31/2hp Vivinus car appeared to be the best there (4:21.8 minutes).
What is interesting for me here is that there was at least one time better than Belyaev’s – Prussakov on DeDion ran for 3:30.2. Maybe it was a DeDion tricycle, not a car, thus belonged to another category – I don’t know for sure.

faksta
02-19-2008, 05:40 AM
II Race for Samokat magazine prize.

The second annual race for Samokat magazine prize took place on July, 23. As many of year 1900 events, the entries list was almost empty… Partly because of this, previous year Mazy’s winning time (2:43:38) remained unbeaten, ‘thanks’ to a violent contrary wind.
The first finished was Deschamps, who completed the distance in 2:53:30. Vadim Mihailov came second. As he told later, he could finish first, but hit a calf, that didn’t want to get out of the way, and bended his tricycle’s fork. Fomin on a four-wheeler spent 4:33:50 for 100 versts, and Barbais on Mors 6hp automobile finished in 3:57:20. To be mentioned, Barbais didn’t avoid accident with animal too by hitting a cow.

Narva-St.-Petersberg.

The next race, between Narva and St.-Petersberg, happened a week later - on July, 30. Should I say it didn’t see many entrants and visitors?
Among 3 tricycles entered by Mihailov, Deschamps and Stepanov, only one car was listed – Genrik’s two-seater 5hp Mors. As always, heavy four-wheeler looked pale compared to frisky tricycles, which was confirmed by results: the winner, Mihailov, spent just 4:11 for 140 versts, while Genrik needed almost 12 hours to complete the same route.
The interesting occurance happened during the race. When Mihailov and Deschamps, going almost wheel-to-wheel, came to a railroad bridge near Yambourg, the turnpike began to close down, due to a train arrival. While Mihailov succeeded in crossing the railroad, Deschamps was a bit late, so he had to stop and wait until the train went through. Mihailov won a lot of time… Deschamps finally came second before Stepanov, though suffered from tyres. In fact, this problem followed Genrik’s Mors, too.

faksta
02-19-2008, 06:10 AM
Race for the prizes of Sport magazine.

The last of 1900 races in Russia, this one was dropped by Andrei Nagel, that time Sport magazine director. On December, 30 two 4-wheelers – Gladiator 3.5hp (Genrik at the wheel) and Clement (Barbais and Mihailov) – and Samuel Suurmets on 4hp tricycle were all ready to go…. Even though it was 27 below zero.
That day horse-race was declined because of the temperature – no horse could run in such conditions, while all the motors performed well even now and reached horses’ speed. Actually, some acts were taken – the distance was reduced from 80 to 40 versts and was the same as for the first race in 1898: Aleksandrovskaya station – Strelna – Aleksandrovskaya station.
The best of the best in that race – Suurmets – showed 1:46:24 with an average speed of 55,2 km/h, which was a worldwide record in such conditions. Genrik (whose mechanic, in fact, was ‘a little Russian boy’) needed 2:34 at av. Speed of 16,6 km/h. Barbais-Mihailov came even later, as they stopped to refuel (first pit-stop, eh? :D).
What is interesting, all of 3 starters finished in that awful weather, even though both cars were… water-cooled.

Picture:

1. Gladiator 3.5hp (J.G.Genrik with his little mechanic).

faksta
02-19-2008, 06:15 AM
Well, as you can see, the thread is alive and kicking :D
EDIT:zOMG! 666 views...

faksta
02-22-2008, 01:58 PM
Here, I've found paintings of Clement tricycle and Benz car participated in first race in Russia in 1898. Taken from zr.ru.

faksta
03-22-2008, 12:20 PM
III Cup for Society of Cycling.

The last of three races for Society of Cycling was an opening event in 1901. Such small number of entrants – four in general, among which was only one car – was caused by an absolutely awful weather – in the mid-March (March, 17 to be precise) all the snow in Russia began to melt, and the road was hardly driveable. The only mentioned car was a Clement entered by Barbais. Among the others – one two-seater quadricycle (driven by Genrik) and two tricycles (Alekseev and Suurmets). The distance through the Volhonskoe ave (about 65 versts) was done best by Suurmets, while Genrik and Barbais finished just in the evening and Alekseev retired.

Results:

1. Samuel Suurmets – 3:58’30 (av.speed 17.444kmh)
2. J.G.Genrik
3. Barbais (Clement)
DNF Alekseev (tricycle)

St.-Petersberg – Gatchina – St.-Petersberg.

This race, organized by Samokat magazine, was held up on April, 24 (some say, 29). This time only one tricycle and some cars arrived to compete each other. The first on the 68-verst distance was J.G.Genrik on Mors 6hp, second – Mazy, who drove Russian produced Starley-Clement equipped with a DeDion-Bouton 3.5hp engine and 2-speed transmission, Postnikov on tricycle was third, and Fomin driving his car came fourth. The rest participants didn’t finish.

Results:

1. J.G.Genrik (Mors 6hp) – 2:37’00 (27.723kmh)
2. Louis Mazy (Starley-Clement) - 2:42
3. Boris Postnikov – 2:51
4. Fomin – 2:52’30
Rest – DNF

First Volhonka verst race.

May, 25 saw a brand-new type of racing in Russia, that was called verst racing. Best drivers arrived to Volhonskoe ave. to try their best in runs for highest speed at 1 verst (1,067km) distance. Because of the violent wind it was agreed to complete a verst in both sides – first, following the wind with a dead start and then, with a 5 minutes rest - driving against the wind, this time with a flying start. Three classes were present – bicycles, motorcycles and cars. Drivers could run two times, but each time on different machines. The public didn’t show any interest in such competitions. Moreover, some problems with timing occurred, but the experiment was very successful, and verst racing became a traditional form of racing for Russian Empire.
First ever Volhonka verst race in motorcycles class was won by Boris Postnikov. The cars category prize was taken by Louis Mazy. Both made two attempts. To be said, results that were showed, differed strongly for both directions (with wind and against it).

Winners (time – min:sec’tenths):

Motorcycles – Boris Postnikov:
1st attempt: Psycho-Starley 1.32hp motorcycle (32kg). Dead start – 3:26’4 (18.6kmh). Flying start – 1:42’0 (37.6 kmh).
2nd attempt: Clement-DeDion 1.75hp tricycle. Dead start – 2:42’8 (23.6kmh). Flying start – 1:17’8 (49.4kmh).
Cars – Louis Mazy:
1st attempt: 499cc Starley-Clement 3.5hp two-seater (seemingly the one from St.-Petersberg – Gatchina – St.-Petersberg race). Dead start – 2:44’2 (23.4kmh). Flying start – 1:24’6 (45.3kmh).
2nd attempt: Bardone 8hp three-seater. Dead start – 2:44’0 (23.4kmh). Flying start – 1:37’8 (39.2kmh).

Unfortunately, these results can’t be considered serious, as the World record already equaled 105,88kmh. Moreover, World record for a bicycle was.. higher than Mazy’s result – 69,231kmh.

faksta
03-24-2008, 07:25 AM
II Luga – St.-Petersberg.

Kind of various info concerning this race both with terms and participants. Some sources say it was held up in June, 1901, another assure that is was a closing one that year (the last is a version of that times racer – Vadim Mihailov – published in a book). It is surely known that the winner was a director of just opened automotive warehouse, Rene Millot from France. But again, Mihailov says he drove a 6.5hp Darracq, while another sources insist on 6.5hp Perfecta (Italian make). Winning time varies, too (4:40, according to Mihailov and 6:01:06’3 following another source). Still, Mihailov’s time seems more possible for me again, as he states the second arrival’s result – 5:07 for Constantin Kapustin. Emile Lidtke, who also took part in a race, was the owner of Union factory in St.-Petersberg and drove his own-built Union car 3hp equipped with a Vivinus 3hp engine.

Results:

1. Rene Millot (F) Darracq (or Perfecta?) 6.5hp – 4:04 (or 6:01:06’3?)
2. Constantin Kapustin (RUS) Gladiator – 5:07 (?)
? Emile Lidtke (RUS) Union 3hp
? Petr Puzanov (RUS) Bollee-Puzanov 3.5hp tricar

Pictures:
1. Union 3hp. Source – cars-collection.net.ru

1901 Bollee-Puzanov 3.5hp tricar.

Unlike most period three-wheelers with two wheels in the back and one in the front, Bollee-Puzanov had two wheels in the front and one in the back (this is a principal difference between tricycle and tricar). Puzanov started with his own car in the end of 1890-s, when he bought a Leon Bollee tricar from already mentioned in this thread A.A.Abrikosov, who sold these French cars in Russia. Most likely, the original car was produced in 1895. Leon Bollee tricar had a 1-cylinder 3hp engine. After purchasing it, he made some major improvements – the rear wheel diameter and width were increased, more elastic springs were applied to all three wheels, he also remade the seat and lengthened the gear. Increasing the cylinder’s diameter led to increasing power – from 3 to 4hp. Alongside with all these improvements some smaller ones were made. It is a first known conversion from road to race car in Russia.

Pictures:
2. Bollee-Puzanov (1901 shot - Puzanov with his family). Source – baza.vgd.ru
3. Bollee-Puzanov – advertisement from 1903 magazine, when Puzanov tried to sell it. The car remained unsold. Source – baza.vgd.ru

Sport magazine’s race.

June, 3, 1901. Under the huge rain two drivers nevertheless sterted a race organized by a Sport magazine. Suurments, who came first, drove a 4hp car, and Tanskiy arrived 2nd in his 8hp car.

Results:
1. Samuel Suurmets (RUS) 4hp car – 51:7’5
2. Fedor Tanskiy (RUS) 8hp car – 1:31’10

II Hillclimb near Krasnoe Selo.

The second hillclimb competition was quite better organized than the previous one. This time the telephone net was used between start and finish points to time better. Though, it didn’t help, as the race was attended by the only competitor – Krupskiy.

Results:
1. Krupskiy (RUS) unknown – 2:23’36

1901 Moscow – St.Petersberg.

The longest run of 1901 finally, unlike previous years, should’ve been completed during one run and wasn’t divided into two runs. All five listed drivers arrived to a starting point in Moscow, but Peltzer (RUS) didn’t start his tricycle because of the mechanical problems. Finally, Mazy (driving together with Vadim Mihailov) finished in a proud loneliness, though made it almost out of time. Fedor Tanskiy and Samuel Suurmets retired near Tver (problems with tyres for Tanskiy, while Suurmets had something with a stone on the road), and Alekseev broke the axle near Novgorod.

Results:

1. Louis Mazy – Vadim Mihailov (F) Starley-Bertrand 6.5hp – 37:50 (18,328kmh)
DNF Fedor Tanskiy (RUS) Richard 8hp three-seater
DNF Alekseev (RUS) Starley-DeDion 3.25hp
DNF Samuel Suurmets (RUS) 4hp tricycle
DNS Peltzer (RUS) tricycle

1901 Starley-Bertrand 6.5hp

Specially for 1901 Moscow – St.-Petersberg race Louis Mazy remade one of the cars produced on his Starley-Psycho factory in Russia. While the technical part remained the same, including a standard 6.5hp Aster engine, the body was a completely new. Two seats instead of four for basic French body and much lighter aluminium bodypanels. It was one of the latest cars produced at Starley-Psycho (maybe even last) – on August, 8, 1901 a fire occurred at the plant – 200 bycicles and 6 tricycles were destroyed, and Mazy left Russia and returned to France, though entered one more race in 1902.
What is interesting, this exact Starley-Bertrand 6.5hp was sold to Port-Arthur, where worked in a fortress, and after Japanese took Port-Arthur it was taken to Japan and became a first-ever car there. Where it is now is unknown, though maybe it is still somewhere in Japan. Worth finding, I guess ;)

Pictures:

4. Starley-Bertrand 6.5hp. Source – cars-collection.net.ru
5. Starley-Bertrand 6.5hp. Was published in Artem Kiselev’s book (see post #1). Taken from the Internet.

faksta
03-24-2008, 08:43 AM
II Luga - St.-Petersberg.

As a successor of 1901 edition, in 1902 Luga – St.-Petersberg became the last race of such type in Russia. After it all long-distance races had the same starting and finishing point. Nothing is known about a 1902 Luga – St.-Petersberg race except that it took place.

II Volhonka verst race.

Last appearance for Mazy in Russia. In May he beat his own result slightly, now showing 45,5kmh on a car.

Results:

1. Louis Mazy (F) car – 0:01:24’4 (45,503kmh)

Record run near St.-Petersberg.

Volhonka was a perfect place for speed attempts, so on May, 19th Andrei Nagel set a new speed record there riding a tricycle through the 25-verst distance.

Results:

1. Andrei Nagel (RUS) tricycle – 0:44:15’2 (36,16kmh)

III race for Samokat magazine prize.

Another race organized by Samokat magazine. Starting in Strelna, participants (descent amound, to be said, but very few info) had to run 28 versts to achieve Krasnoe Selo and return back to Strelna. Barbais won the race, while Belyaev arrived second because of the chain fail. In category 8hp and less the winner was Sibiliot from France on Panhard-Levassor. Bekel on Gobron-Bille 20hp suffered an accident on Volhonskoe ave. because of exploded tyre.

Results:

1. Barbais (F) 10hp car – 28:45
2. Pavel Belyaev (RUS) 12hp car – 28:52
? Sibiliot (F) Panhard-Levassor
? Petr Puzanov (RUS) Bollee-Puzanov 3.5hp
DNF Pavel Bekel (RUS) Gobron-Brille 20hp

Race for Avtomobil magazine prize.

One of the major events in 1902 was an appearance of Avtomobil magazine under the direction of Andrei Nagel – one of the biggest autosport fanatics in Russian Empire. The same 1902 year Avtomobil dropped a race from Strelna through Krasnoe Selo and Gatchina and back to Strelna – 60 versts in common. 10 cars entered race, 8 of which started and just 5 finished. Samuel Suurmets won driving one of four entered Georges Richard 10hp showing a time of 1:25’41 at average 44,822kmh.

Results:

1. Samuel Suurmets (RUS) Georges Richard 10hp – 1:25’41 (44,822kmh)
2. Barbais (F) Georges Richard 10hp
3. Alexander Korovin (RUS) Panhard-Levassor 24hp
4. Constantin Kapustin (RUS) Prunel 12hp
5. Krift (RUS) Gardner-Serpollet steam car – 2:21’00 (27,237kmh)
DNF Bruno Farich (RUS) Georges Richard 10hp
DNF Vege (RUS) Georges Richard 10hp
DNF Alexander Soldatenkov (RUS) Gardner-Serpollet steam car
DNS Petr Puzanov (RUS) Bollee-Puzanov 3.5hp
DNS Reiss (RUS) DeDion-Bouton 4.5hp

faksta
03-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Greet me with 1000 views :D

faksta
05-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Two most significant events for motorsports in Russian in 1903 were the establishment of Saint-Petersberg Automobile Club (SPAK) and Russian Automobile Society (RAO). The latter was founded to organize the traffic, drop some exhibitions, runs and races. But in fact all the 1903 races were organized by SPAK at Volhonskoe road, while RAO just kept silence.
The first event that year was a third annual Volhonka verst race in April. This time all the attempts were done in only one category, so the first position was easily taken by Alexander Korovin, who drove the most powerful 24hp Panhard-Levassor. Vadim Mihailov on 12hp Prunel got the second place and the third position came to Frese on 6hp DeDion-Bouton.
Results:
1. Alexander Korovin (RUS) Panhard-Levassor 24hp.
Dead start – 1m 19.4s (48.4 km/h)
Flying start – 1m 08.0s (63.2 km/h)
2. Vadim Mihailov (RUS) Prunel 12hp.
Dead start – 1m 24.4s (45.5 km/h)
Flying start – 1m 18.6s (48.8 km/h)
3. Frese (RUS) Panhard-Levassor 6hp.
Dead start – 1m 42.0s (37.6 km/h)
Flying start – 1m 25.5s (45.1 km/h)

The next race, Gentleman Race of SPAK at Volhonka, was a 23-verst run and could be attended by amateur drivers only.
Results:
1. Albert Efron (RUS) FN 2hp motorcycle – 0h 30m 55s (47.6 km/h)
2. Konstantin Kapustin (RUS) / Boris Postnikov (RUS) Richard-Brasier 12hp car – 0h 31m 15s (47.1 km/h)

On June, 26 Volhonskoe road saw the next race for 1 verst distance dropped by SPAK, both for cars and motorcycles. This time the record set up by Korovin in April wasn’t beaten. After completing the verst distance competitors came to Krasnoe Selo for a 2 versts hillclimb event.
Winners (verst race):
Cars – Bruno Farich (RUS) Richard 12hp.
Dead start – 1m 23.6s (49.5 km/h)
Flying start – 1m 10s (54.9 km/h)
Motorcycles – Albert Efron (RUS).
Flying start – 1m 20s (48 km/h)
Winners (hillclimb):
Cars – Bruno Farich (RUS) Richard 12hp – 3m 01s.
Motorcycles – Albert Efron (RUS) – 3m 04s.

Before going to Krasnoe Selo all the present saw the start of Konstantin Kapustin’s Richard 12hp car. With V.A.Reis (SPAK chairman), Boris Postnikov and a mechanic he successfully arrived in Revel a day after.

IRAO
05-14-2008, 07:40 AM
2 faksta:

Tank U for Ur posts!
Only one problem - U wrote all Russian Names with english translation. This is no reigh! End of XIX & beginn of XX century all Russian Names must others be wroten - so, as this people self it wrote, with french and german translation:

Schneiderov = Schneideroff
Stepanov = Stephanoff
Belyaev = Paul Beljaeff
Mazy = Louis Masi (drive not Starley-Clement, hes car was Starley-Bertran and his tricycle was Starley-DeDion!)
Lavrentiev = Lawrentjeff
Abrikosov = Abrikossoff
Trubetskoi = Trubetzkoy
Gerz = Herz
Vadim Mihailov = Wadim Michailoff
Fedor Tansky = Theodor Tanski
Samuel Suurmets = samuel Surmetz
Genrik = Henrick
Alekseev = Alexejeff
Boris Postnikov = Boris Postnikoff
Fomin = Fomine
Constantin Kapustin = Kapoustine
Emile Lidtke = Emil Liedtke
Petr Puzanov =Peter Pousanoff
Pavel Bekel = Paul Beckel
Alexander Korovin = Korowine
Bruno Farich = Bruno Fahrig
Alexander Soldatenkov = Basil Soldatenkoff (no Alexander!!!)

Russian nationalyty logo was befor 1917 (R), not (RUS) as today!!!

faksta
05-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Many thanks for your corrections! Honestly, it's hard for me to write Russian names right using English letters :( Did you do any research on this subject? Seems you know it good.

As for Mazy (Masi, sorry :p) - AFAIK he drove different Starley cars..

EDIT: Ah, I know who you are. Glad to hear from you, tending to buy your book soon :p

henk4
05-14-2008, 08:24 AM
actually today in the Giro d'Italia a Russian rider (Pavel Brutt) won. He is a member of the Tinkoff team, owned by Russian millionaire with the same name, so not all double "ff" have disappeared...

faksta
05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
actually today in the Giro d'Italia a Russian rider (Pavel Brutt) won. He is a member of the Tinkoff team, owned by Russian millionaire with the same name, so not all double "ff" have disappeared...

It's a trademark :) Double-f looks more aristocratic and historic... Tho I can't say that Smirnoff, for example, is so aristocratic.

IRAO
05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Many thanks for your corrections! Honestly, it's hard for me to write Russian names right using English letters :( Did you do any research on this subject? Seems you know it good.

As for Mazy (Masi, sorry :p) - AFAIK he drove different Starley cars..

EDIT: Ah, I know who you are. Glad to hear from you, tending to buy your book soon :pHi Artem, I also know who U are:o

My book is ready, here is the info:

Êíèãà Àâòîìîáèëè Ðîññèéñêîé Èìïåðèè - Êèðèëåö Ñòàíèñëàâ — ÖÀÑÊ (http://www.tsar-auto-club.spb.ru/publishing/kiriletz/arm.html)

Also U can found my new publications, under Pousanoiff, Drewitzki, Beckel, Beljajeff and others, here:

Ïóáëèêàöèè Êèðèëüöà Ñòàíèñëàâà — ÖÀÑÊ (http://www.tsar-auto-club.spb.ru/publishing/kiriletz/)

Starley Russia Ltd maked no tricycles and cars license Clement !!!
Your picture of Benz car from Lawrentjeff is no correct. It was Benz Victora Vis-A-Vis!!!

faksta
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Artem, I also know who U are:o

My book is ready, here is the info:

Êíèãà Àâòîìîáèëè Ðîññèéñêîé Èìïåðèè - Êèðèëåö Ñòàíèñëàâ — ÖÀÑÊ (http://www.tsar-auto-club.spb.ru/publishing/kiriletz/arm.html)

Also U can found my new publications, under Pousanoiff, Drewitzki, Beckel, Beljajeff and others, here:

Ïóáëèêàöèè Êèðèëüöà Ñòàíèñëàâà — ÖÀÑÊ (http://www.tsar-auto-club.spb.ru/publishing/kiriletz/)

Starley Russia Ltd maked no tricycles and cars license Clement !!!
Your picture of Benz car from Lawrentjeff is no correct. It was Benz Victora Vis-A-Vis!!!

Eh..nope, my name's not Artem :p I doubt you know me, TBH :)
And yes, I've seen your publications, thanks. They're really interesting.

dilettante
05-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I just find this very instructive thread. Great stuff, thanks for it!
I'm interesting about early racing in Europe and US... and now in Russia, not so well know. ;)

I have a little question about Basil Soldatenkoff:
Is it the same man that run the "Grand Prix de France", held on august 5, 1913 at Le Mans (DNF) on a Brasier car, and finish third at the "Targa Florio" 1911 with a Mercedes?

Regards
Jyl

faksta
06-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Welcome, Jyl.
Thank you for your interest. To be absolutely honest, I'm unfamiliar with Soldatenkoff's 1913 Le Mans result, but yes, it' him who came 3rd in 1911 Targa Florio driving a Mercedes car. :)

Can I post a question to you either? :) Since you're interested in early European racing, maybe you know where to find more or less quality photos of a Bignan 11hp Desmo Sport, which came 3rd in 1923 Le Mans and a Vinot Deguingant BP 10hp which finished 26th the same race?

dilettante
06-01-2008, 02:51 AM
(...) To be absolutely honest, I'm unfamiliar with Soldatenkoff's 1913 Le Mans result, but yes, it' him who came 3rd in 1911 Targa Florio driving a Mercedes car. :)
You can read the results of the "GP de France" HERE (http://www.teamdan.com/archive/gen/1913/1913.html#f).
There is a driver name "Zoltan Soldatenkov" (in the DNF results), and I wonder if it's the same ? :confused: (with a bad spelling...)

(...) Since you're interested in early European racing, maybe you know where to find more or less quality photos of a Bignan 11hp Desmo Sport, which came 3rd in 1923 Le Mans and a Vinot Deguingant BP 10hp which finished 26th the same race?
You're talking about the first 24 hours of Le Mans... My favorite race, I was born in Le Mans ! :D
Here is what I got in my DB.

The Bignan
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5406/23032300ya7.jpg

The Vinot Deguingand (with a "d", not a "t" ;)) of the Molon brothers.
http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/6730/23262701th9.jpg

henk4
06-01-2008, 02:54 AM
My favorite race, I was born in Le Mans ! :D

you should be there today then;)
anyway, thanks for those pictures, of cars that I had never heard of before. Did the Bignon really have a desmoodromic valve train?

Rockefella
06-01-2008, 03:06 AM
Welcome, Jyl.
Thank you for your interest. To be absolutely honest, I'm unfamiliar with Soldatenkoff's 1913 Le Mans result, but yes, it' him who came 3rd in 1911 Targa Florio driving a Mercedes car. :)

I thought Le Mans wasn't initially run until the 1920's.. 1923 I think it was?

faksta
06-01-2008, 03:31 AM

It's when the 24 hour race started, the track was built earlier :)

You can read the results of the "GP de France" HERE (http://www.teamdan.com/archive/gen/1913/1913.html#f).
There is a driver name "Zoltan Soldatenkov" (in the DNF results), and I wonder if it's the same ? :confused: (with a bad spelling...)

Ahh..I doubt it's a mistake - Zoltan is a common Hungarian name. Maybe it's his far relative, I'll try to find something, but it's not so easy, so I won't promise a good result yet.
Thanks for photos :)

dilettante
06-01-2008, 03:33 AM
You're right for the 24 hours, but before, Le Mans was a race place since 1906 ! (on different road tracks)

The first American victory in Europe was at Le Mans in 1921: Jimmy Murphy and this Duesenberg in the "Grand Prix de l'A.C.F." ! ;)
(on the same track where the 24hrs will be organized two years later...)

dilettante
06-01-2008, 04:12 AM
(...) Did the Bignon really have a desmoodromic valve train?

Absolutly. This car, with a 1979 cm3 engine, 4 cyl., 16 valves, first appear at the "Grand Prix de Tourisme de Strasbourg" (France) in 1921. But did not finished because it was not "fine-tunning".
The first succes was in "GP de Belgique" in Spa (Belgium) where it defeat Minerva and Chenard & Walker.

In the 24hrs 1923 the Bignan "Desmo" finished 3rd and win his class (1501 to 2000 cm3, made 2071,440 km at 86,31 km/h).

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm off-board about the thread...:o

henk4
06-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Absolutly. This car, with a 1979 cm3 engine, 4 cyl., 16 valves, first appear at the "Grand Prix de Tourisme de Strasbourg" (France) in 1921. But did not finished because it was not "fine-tunning".
The first succes was in "GP de Belgique" in Spa (Belgium) where it defeat Minerva and Chenard & Walker.

In the 24hrs 1923 the Bignan "Desmo" finished 3rd and win his class (1501 to 2000 cm3, made 2071,440 km at 86,31 km/h).

Sorry, I'm afraid I'm off-board about the thread...:o

never mind that, it is an internet forum;)
any Bignon still around anywhere?

faksta
06-01-2008, 04:23 AM
never mind that, it is an internet forum;)
any Bignon still around anywhere?

I have a picture of a Bignan 2-Liter car from 1923 (maybe a copy, though) either in museum or during some exhibition. Will post it in classic cars section when I'll get an access to another computer :)

Found nothing on Zoltan Soldatenkov :( The only ones I could find with this name mentioned are the same as you, Jyl, provided - the results of 1913 Le Mans race, gonna be all from the same source.

dilettante
06-01-2008, 04:34 AM
(...) any Bignon still around anywhere?
I don't known... may be in some museum. :D
The Bignan (not "Bignon" ;)) exist from 1918 to 1931.
Here is the logotype.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4417/bignanlogopw0.jpg

henk4
06-01-2008, 04:35 AM
I don't known... may be in some museum. :D
The Bignan (not "Bignon" ;)) exist from 1918 to 1931.
Here is the logotype.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/4417/bignanlogopw0.jpg

would make a nice entry for the upcoming Le Mans Classic. I am sure you will be there....

dilettante
06-01-2008, 04:38 AM
(...) Found nothing on Zoltan Soldatenkov :( The only ones I could find with this name mentioned are the same as you, Jyl, provided - the results of 1913 Le Mans race, gonna be all from the same source.

Thanks for the research "Faksta". We arrived at the same point! ;)

faksta
06-13-2008, 10:37 AM
In 1904 spring everyone was expecting of a great race – the run between St.-Petersberg and Kiev through Moscow should have been organized by Moscow Club of Automotive Enthusiasts (again I don’t know the proper English name) together with Russian Automotive Society. Drivers from Poland and France should have participate. The event, however, didn’t happen and 1904 was just as empty as 1903.
Strelna – Alexandrovskaya – Strelna race was won by Basil Soldatenkoff on his favourite ‘Lina’ car, which was a 50hp Richard-Brasier named in favour of Lina Cavalieri, Italian actress. He completed the 36-verst distance in a bit more then 32 minutes. To be said, he drove ‘Lina’on the roads, too. That’s what the ‘Lost Splendor’ book by Prince Felix Yussupov reads: “I spent a few days in Paris seeing my French friends, and then left for Russia with Basil Soldatenkoff who had offered to drive me in his racing car ‘Lina’. Basil always drove at full speed, and when I begged him to go a little slower he merely laughed and stepped on the accelerator.” Returning to the race, Bruno Fahrig driving a 16hp Richard-Brasier came second in 42 minutes. The same time was shown by Constantine Kapoustine on Sarolea 3hp motorcycle.
Next event, fourth Volhonka verst race, took place at July, 18. Soldatenkoff again took the first prize with his ‘Lina’ car and was very close to achieving 100 versts per hour that no one in Russia did before, though ran at 106,1 kmh (99,45 versts per hour) and completed one verst in 36,2 sec. Second place was taken by Sibilliot at Gobron-Brille 25hp with 72,1 kmh. Serpollet steam car was third with a result of 63 kmh. The first ladies record was set up at that event – madame Walton on 10hp Georges Richard completed a verst in 1 min 58 sec with a maximum speed of 32,5 kmh. Also a motorcycle record speed was shown – 76,2 kmh for Francois Donnier riding a 4,5hp Sarolea. This record was beaten only during a 1913 verst race.
The last event of that year, Luga – Gatchina – Krasnoe Selo – Strelna race, happened in a heavy rain on August, 28 instead of ‘classic’ Luga – St.-Petersberg. Francois Donnier, this time driving a car – 25hp Gobron-Brille – won the race 2h50m after the start together with Evgeniy Kuzmin. Kapoustine on 12hp car came second. The only motorcycle finished was Piskop (not sure in writing) on FN. The others – one car and two motorcycles – didn’t complete the distance.

The picture shows 'Lina' car. Taken from tsar-auto-club.spb.ru

faksta
06-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Year 1905 began with revolutionary events in Russia, including the Bloody Sunday, when a 100000 crowd has been shot in St.-Petersberg. Nevertheless, St.-Petersberg Automobile-Club (SPAK) decided to organize some races in 1905.
On July, 30 Volhonskoe road greeted the participants of one verst record runs near St.-Petersberg, won by Paul Beljaeff on Richard-Brasier 16hp (1m07,5s at 56,896kmh). Donnier on his motorcycle completed a verst in 44 seconds (at more then 83 versts per hour).
The next race, also at Volhonka, was a fifth verst race. This time cars were divided in categories and Constantine Kapoustine on 12hp Richard-Brasier ran at 57,7 kmh. Motorcycle class winner was Sergei Koribut-Kubitovich on 3hp Minerva (69,8 kmh).
In August, 28 the last event took place – Beljaeff Cup. Remember, Paul Beljaeff was a winner of first Russian race in 1898. In 1902 he was one of the founders of St.-Petersberg Automobile-Club, in 1903 he was among the RAO establishers, and since 1904 he was a chairman of racing commission within RAO. The 1905 Beljaeff Cup was won by Constantine Kapoustine on Richard-Brasier 12hp, who finished a 39-verst race (Strelna – Alexandrovskaya – Strelna) in 49m07s at 50,824kmh.

IRAO
08-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Evgeniy Kuzmin = Eugen Kousmine :)

Last time I have wroten new artikel - under others russian race-driver Alexander Vetchinine, he drive anno 1908 drive by GP de l'ACF as Sergey Dimitriewich. (Grand Prix de L’ACF, Dieppe 1908. L'Equipe «Renault».
N° 4 Ferenc Szisz, N° 21 Gustave Caillois, N° 37 Sergey Dimitriewich)

IRAO
08-07-2008, 06:07 PM
My next report will under Alexander Mordwinoff, also great russian driver.

dilettante
08-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Hi everyone!

(...) russian race-driver Alexander Vetchinine, he drive anno 1908 drive by GP de l'ACF as Sergey Dimitriewich. (...)
You mean that it's the same guy?... That could explain why the GP de l'A.C.F. was the only race "Dimitriewich" run.
Is it the same Vetchinine that run the St.Petersburg-Moscow race the same year?

@ "faksta": Thanks for the last two episodes of the Russian racing history.
(wrote Gobron-Brillié, Gustave Gobron and Eugène Brillié) ;)

faksta
08-08-2008, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the corrections :)

Ferrer
08-08-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the corrections :)
When will you continue? :)

faksta
08-08-2008, 11:46 AM
When will you continue? :)

Won't promise anything, but will try tomorrow :)

Revo
08-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Won't promise anything, but will try tomorrow :)
You can't continue at this rate, it will take something like 20 years before you'll finish. :p

faksta
08-08-2008, 12:01 PM
You can't continue at this rate, it will take something like 20 years before you'll finish. :p

I thought about it :p That's why I've shortened the last two posts :) Soviet period will be shorter, I believe - there's not so much info about it.

IRAO
08-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone!

You mean that it's the same guy?... That could explain why the GP de l'A.C.F. was the only race "Dimitriewich" run.
Is it the same Vetchinine that run the St.Petersburg-Moscow race the same year?

@ "faksta": Thanks for the last two episodes of the Russian racing history.
(wrote Gobron-Brillié, Gustave Gobron and Eugène Brillié) ;)Yes! Hes rigth name was Alexander Alexandrowitch Vetchinine, he drive in race SPb-Moskau 1908 on a "Brasier 120HP". No finish, technical problem. In «Circuit Dieppe», 1908 hes foul name was Sergey Dimitriewich!

May 1909 in Wolchonka he was 2nd (1st A. Mordwinoff)
Juni 1809 for beginning 1-werst race near Moscow A. Vetchinine with was dead in training

first picture - Vetchinine sur Brasier in SPb (Wolchonka) 1909.
second picture - Vetchinine (under name S. Dimitrievitch) in Dieppe. 1908

IRAO
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Benz 82/200 PS in IV International Automobil Exhibition in St- Petersburg.
On this car have maked german driver Franz Hörner anno 1913 in SPb european and russian speed-record 202 km/h

dilettante
08-15-2008, 03:06 AM
Thanks "Irao" for informations and pictures. :)

faksta
08-27-2008, 03:12 AM
OK, guys, sorry for such a long pause, here's the next part.

Year by year it seemed Russian motorsport was slowly dying out. Year 1906 didn’t change the situation – only two races couldn’t state the renaissance of motor racing. Even more upsetting it was having in mind that in June, 1906 in France the first ever Grand Prix event took place – Grand Prix de l’Automobile Club de France. Russian clubs kept silence…
The first race in 1906 was organized by Avtomobil magazine, the founder of which, Andrei Nagel, was a huge fan of motor racing. Maybe the authority of the magazine wasn’t yet so high or the odds didn’t favor the Russian motorsport, but only two drivers on cars attended the race on July, 15 – both Bruno Fahrig and Lyzhin entered their own Brasier motors. The outcome of the race was very simple – Lyzhin’s mechanic forgot to fill the tank with fuel, so Fahrig drove his Brasier 15/24CV to the finish and won showing the time of 1 hour 36 minutes and 26 seconds at 100-verst distance. Interesting that both teams had drivers’ wives as mechanics, and after the race both ladies were favoured with memorable presents.
The same year, on August, 28 the second Beljaeff Cup took place. The distance of 39 versts (Strelna – Alexandrovskaya – Strelna) was completed the best by Constantine Kapoustine on 12hp Georges Richard – 49 minutes, 9 seconds.

Pictures:
1. Fahrig's Brasier 15/24CV with his family.
2. Lyzhin's (seemingly left) and Fahrig's (right) cars before the trip to Saint-Petersberg for Avtomobil magazine race.
Both pictures are taken from the article about Bruno Fahrig and, I guess, should belong to our IRAO member. Thus, the question to IRAO: can I use the pictures here?

Note: Some sources state that Lyzhin drove a 16hp Decauville car.

faksta
08-27-2008, 05:57 AM
In 1906 French newspaper, L’Auto, wrote to Avtomobil magazine with a proposal to organize the first automotive exhibition in Russia. But since the magazines couldn’t arrange for the event themselves, they’ve involved RAO. In May, 1907 the exhibition in St.-Petersberg opened its doors for public. France, which considered Russian market a great piece of cake, presented 30 makes. To compare, their biggest rival on Russian automotive market – Germany – showed only 13 manufacturers. Among the others, some domestic companies showed their production – Lessner, Frese and Treugolnik (‘Triangle’). The latter has produced automotive tyres. After the exhibition was closed, the race from Moscow to St.-Petersberg have started…
That race, first international motorsport event in Russia for a long, long time had a great success, thanks to protection of count Sergei Mihailovich. Yet before the exhibition the run for cheap cars between Paris and St.-Petersberg was dropped. Russian equipage - Albert Efron and Eugen Kousmine – completed a 3200km distance in 73 hours. That race from France to Russia had a great influence on a further success of the first Moscow-St.-Petersberg international race, too. On May, 25 old style (June, 7) 26 drivers on cars and motorcycles were ready to start in Moscow. That day first works drivers arrived to compete in Russia – ‘Landon’ for Mors, driving a Mors 45hp with starting #5, Champoiseaux (#7) for Charron with Fernand Charron himself as a mechanic on a 30hp Charron Lim car and Arthur Duray for Lorraine-Dietrich driving a 60hp car (#6).
The cars were divided into three categories – the first category contained motors with more than 24hp, the second – less than 24hp and finally the last category, ‘Tourist’, was running out of classification and had 4 drivers registered – Zhemlichka, Grachev, Leschinskiy and Schlicht, all from Russia.
In a first category, besides three works drivers from France, three Russian and one more French teams were taking start – two Mercedes’es were entered by Riabushinskie brothers – rich entrepreneurs from Moscow, Provodnik tyre company was present by Bergman on 60hp Fiat, and French Francois Donnier arrived on a Brasier. The second category was also rather filled and contained six competitors: Alexander Fokin with his driver Slubskiy on a 16hp Fiat (#29), Bruno Fahrig (drove his Brasier, I suppose), Andrei Nagel and three other drivers.
In 2.10 at night the first driver started – Jurgens on Wanderer motorcycle. Since every 2 minutes the others went to the distance, except for Bergman, who finally refused to race.
645 versts in general (688 kilometers), with time neutralization in some major cities, were done in 9 hours 22 minutes… When the visitors came to finish in St.-Petersberg, it appeared that the winner has already finished. It was Duray, who showed an average speed of 73.461 km/h. ‘The road? Yes, it’s not bad. Though, I’ve been driving slowly.’ The second finisher, Champoiseaux, was 2 hours and 44 minutes slower… And the third, before the last works driver, Landon on Mors, arrived the Russian equipage on Fiat from second category – Fokin-Slubskiy (4h32m after Duray). The only finished motorcycle was driven by Jurgens and didn’t complete the distance in 24 hours, so it wasn’t classified.
After this race the III Beljaeff cup, happened in September, where again only two cars took the start, seemed to be a complete failure. Kapoustine on Renault finished first on the same distance as for the previous year.

Picture: Fokin-Slubskiy on their Fiat 16hp.

faksta
08-27-2008, 07:56 AM
The major event of 1908, like the previous year, was the race between the two capitals, but this time from St.-Petersberg to Moscow. Among the organizers there were RAO, Avtomobil magazine and SPAK. The second try attracted 32 participants, 26 of them started. 9 companies have been presented by their factory drivers – Victor Demogeot for Darracq, Victor Hemery for Benz, Arthur Duray and Henry Rougier for Lorraine-Dietrich, Louis Wagner for Fiat, Eros for SPA, de Barres for La Buire, Nikolai Boutchin and Otto Hieronymus for Laurin-Klement, and also some works drivers for Sizaire-Naudin and Berliet, which are unknown for me*.
The cars this time were divided into five categories: I – 4-cyl., above 130mm bore; II – 4-cyl., 107-130mm, III – 4-cyl., 87-106mm, IV – 4-cyl., up to 86mm, V category was cancelled, as only two drivers entered it and both refused to start.

Starting list:

I Category:
#1. Victor Demogeot (F) Darracq
#2. Vincenzo Florio (I) FIAT
#3. Victor Hemery (F) Benz 55/150ps
#4. Arthur Duray (F) Lorraine-Dietrich
#5. Bosarde (I) FIAT
#6. Bichoff (R) Argus
#7. Henry Rougier (F) Lorraine-Dietrich
#8. Jean Porporato (F) Berliet
#9. Pope (GB) Itala
#10. Lescur (F) Mercedes
#11. Charles Jarrott (F) Lorraine-Dietrich

II Category:
#12. Alexander Vetchinine (R) Brasier
#13. Louis Wagner (F) FIAT
#14. G.Jemlitchka (R) Berliet
#15. Adalline (?) Berliet
#16. Eros (I) SPA 28/40hp
#17. Buchner (D) NAG
#18. Vadim Mikailoff (R) Berliet
#19. de Langhe (F) Darracq

III Category:
#20. de Barres (F) La Buire
#21. Schuster (R) Humber
#22. Rudolph-Robert Lundberg (R) Nagant
#23. Alexander Fokin (R) FIAT
#24. Tschoudoff (R) Berliet
#25. A.Primavesi (I) Diatto-Clement

IV Category:
#26. Albert Efron (R) Werner
#27. Boutchin (R) Laurin-Klement
#28. Schlicht (R) Loreley
#29. ? (?) Sizaire-Naudin
#30. Otto Hieronymus (A-H) Laurin-Klement

V Category:
#31. ? (?) Lyon (Lion-Peugeot?)
#32. ? (?) Lyon (Lion-Peugeot?)

The distance now equalled 643.5 versts (686.486 kilometers or 438.25 miles). Most part of the race Hemery was in the lead, couple of times changing positions with Demogeot. Duray tried to participate in the battle for leadership, too, but hit the horse and retired from the race. At 11:47 Hemery’s Benz arrived in Moscow after 8h33m48s of racing. The route was very tough for tyres, so most drivers suffered big problems with them. Only 10 cars of 26 have finished.

Results:
1. Victor Hemery 8:33’48
2. Victor Demogeot 8:44’00 (+0:10’12)
3. Louis Wagner 9:49’48 (+1:16’00)
4. Alexander Fokin 12:36’00 (+4:02’12)
5. Otto Hieronymus 13:03’00 (+4:29’12)
6. A.Primavesi 13:08’12 (+4:34’24)
7. Tschoudoff 13:17’48 (+4:44’00)
8. Pope 13:47’30 (+5:13’42)
9. Eros 14:29’00 (+5:55’12)
10. Buechner 16:01’12 (+7:27’24)

The entry list and results were found at AtlasF1 forums.

* I suppose Jean Porporato entered as a factory driver by Berliet, as he came 4th at 1908 Targa Florio driving Berliet.

Pictures:
1-3. Victor Hemery on his Benz.
4. Louis Wagner on his FIAT. Of what I have, it appears to be a 50hp model from 1908, which possibly ran that year’s Targa Florio. Scanned from Artem Kiselev's book.

faksta
08-27-2008, 08:27 AM
On July, 12 the 6th Volhonka verst race organized by SPAK finally took place after three years of silence. The cars were divided into four categories, and besides them there were two categories of motorcycles.

Results (flying start):
Motorcycles:
Patarkin (Tatarkin?) - Mars 5hp 49,0s – 1 category
Freeman - FN 2,75hp 1m22,8s – 2 category

Cars:
Francois Donnier (F) – Mercedes 40hp 43,8s – 1 category
Andrei Nagel (R) – Brasier 30hp 1m1,8s – 2 category
Albert Efron (R) – Werner 20hp 58s – 3 category
Alfonse Deringer (R) – Renault 10hp 1m26,8s – 4 category

After all, 1908 saw the next, IV Beljaeff Cup, this time won by Fedor Tansky on Bianchi – 39 versts for 37m47,2s.

dilettante
08-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Hi everyone,

Have a look HERE (http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59994&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=1) ;)

faksta
08-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Hi everyone,

Have a look HERE (http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59994&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=1) ;)

I took some of 1908 St.-Petersberg-Moscow info from there

IRAO
08-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Have a look HERE (http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59994&perpage=40&display=&pagenumber=1) ;)Many names wroten NO CORRECT!!!

Bruno Farih Georges Richard 10 hp crash
???
This man was Bruno Fahrig!!!

Second picture: Bruno Fahrig with hes son Bruno and wife Jeanette. Car: Brasier

IRAO
08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
[B]Albert Efron (R) – Werner 20hp 58s – 3 category
this time won by Fedor Tansky on Bianchi – 39 versts for 37m47,2s.Albert Effron must be wroten, also Theodor Tanski. Tanski was a polish man, living in St. Petersburg, boss of Trade House "Pobeda", dead 1912.

IRAO
08-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Demetrius Schlicht sur Loreley.

IRAO
08-31-2008, 07:10 AM
Russian speed-record liste (original from my collection):

faksta
10-21-2008, 11:51 AM
7th Volhonka verst runs.

On May, 24 1909 7th Volhonka verst runs took place. Count Alexander Mordvinoff has beaten Russian speed record during them, showing 29,2 seconds (flying start) at 131,5 kph on his 120hp Opel.

Pictures:
1. Motorcyclists get ready for the runs. #4 – Andrei Nagel. Source – raf.su.
2. Start of a car. Source – raf.su.
3. Samuel Suurmets on Opel.

Record runs near Moscow.

Took place on June, 14. Almost nothing is known for me, except for a tragedy, which occurred during a competition. Alexander Vetchinine, who has planned to enter a first-ever endurance race in Russia later that year, arrived to compete on his favorite Brasier car, but going about 130 versts per hour didn’t notice a smooth turn and hit the stone bridge. The car tumbled down in two parts and felt off the bridge to a river. Count Vetchinine has died. Before the start, he joked that his car was great, because if he crashed on it, he would die immediately and wouldn’t suffer…

faksta
10-21-2008, 11:59 AM
St.-Petersberg – Riga – St.-Petersberg.

After successful races in 1907 and 1908 the interest in racing has escalated in Russia again. In 1908 Andrei Nagel decided to organize an endurance race, as that same year he has completed a 10,000-kilometer trip through Europe with Albert Effron and Vladimir Lebedev* and remained very satisfied with it. That time some people were waiting for some ‘democratic’ forms of motor racing. Such thing that could show the possibilities of production cars, not the ones built with the only purpose – to race. Having though all the things over, Nagel together with Wadim Michailoff and Eugen Kouzmine began to plan the race. They’ve combined the two tendencies and for a first Russian endurance race happened in 1909 only production cars were allowed to enter.
This time, instead of a typical run between two capitals, St.-Petersberg and Moscow, the distance was built from St.-Petersberg to Riga, and equaled 1000 versts (1177 kilometers). All the entrants were divided into 5 categories depending on cylinder diameter in millimeters. For each category an average speed and timetable were counted, and each minute over this timetable was rewarded with one penalty point. In case that delay was more than 30 minutes – 3 points per minute, and 10 points per minute if the car was late for more than hour. Also each minute when the car or the engine were stopped gained a point. The exception was made for tires change. Also it was possible to fix the cars during a competition only, as between the stages a parc-ferme scheme was imposed.

Starting list:

#1. Samuel Suurmets (TD ‘Pobeda’) – Opel – Cat.1
#2. Ivan Puzyrev – Durkopp – Cat.1
#3. G.Luken – Rochet-Schneider – Cat.1
#4. N.Weiner – Pipe – Cat.1

#5. Military office driver – Benz – Cat.2
#6. P.Poliakoff – Berliet – Cat.2
#7. V. von Wolf – Mercedes – Cat.2

#8. Francois Donnier (TRARM) – Mercedes – Cat.3
#9. Julien Potterat (RBVZ) – Russo-Baltique – Cat.3
#10. Dubrovich – RAF – Cat.3
#11. Wilhelm – Adler – Cat.3
#12. V.Schwartz – Lessner – Cat.3
#13. Fritz Erle (Benz) – Benz – Cat.3

#14. Schneideroff (Ford) – Ford – Cat.4
#15. Alexander Mordvinoff – Pipe – Cat.4
#16. Basil Vsevolozhskiy – Pipe – Cat.4

#17. Alexander Fokin – FIAT – Cat.5
#18. Kirschten – Humber – Cat.5
#19. Heiblich – Gaggenau – Cat.5
#20. Alfonse Deringer – Humber – Cat.5
#21. Valenskiy – Gaggenau – Cat.5
#22. Finke (Leutner) – Adler – Cat.5
#23. N.Oppel – Humber – Cat.5

The start was set on August, 14 near Alexandrovskaya railway station in St.-Petersberg, where the very first race in 1898 started. All the route was divided into 4 stages – St.-Petersberg - Pskov, Pskov – Riga, and back - Riga – Pskov and Pskov – St.-Petersberg. The first stage was completed by everyone, except Schwartz and Puzyrev – their Lessner and Durkopp were broken, so they had to turn back to St.-Petersberg. Soon after the second stage has started Fokin retired from the race with a broken leaf spring. Suurmets came first to Riga, Donnier was second.
On August, 16 a 3-hour exhibition of participating cars was appointed in Riga, after which all the drivers on their cars drove to Rodenpois station for verst runs. There Fritz Erle has set a new Russian speed record driving his 150hp Benz – 1 verst at 25 seconds with a speed of 153,6 kph (World speed record was 205,38 kph then), but did it after the official runs, which, though he won also with 31 seconds (123,9 kph).
In the morning of August, 17 drivers have started back to St.-Petersberg, though some of them decided to drive one way only, as was permitted by the rules. Thus, von Wolf, Kirschten and Oppel intended to drive to Riga from the beginning of the race, and Weiner refused to drive back after he had to dela with tires 11 times from Pskov to Riga. This time less powerful cars started first to achieve a solid finish. The first to finish was Donnier in 14h 06m. Winners in categories were Suurmets (Cat.1), military office driver (Cat.2), Wilhelm (Cat.3), Mordvinoff (Cat.4) and Finke (Cat.5).
After finish 15 cars that completed the whole distance were exhibited again, this time in St.-Petersberg.

*Following that tendency of how Russian drivers wrote their names, maybe Lebedeff?

Pictures:

1-3. Samuel Suurmets on Opel.
4. Fritz Erle on Benz 150hp during verst races in Riga.
5. Gonna be Russo-Baltique C24/30 as driven by Julien Potterat. Maybe not :p (see posts further!!)

faksta
10-22-2008, 09:07 AM
Lessner

Lessner factory has appeared in St.-Petersberg in 1853 and produced different steam equipment, but in 1901 this business became profitless. So, in 1901 Lessner has bought a license from Daimler to produce their automotive engines and cars - not Mercedes, but the ones developed by Russian engineer at Daimler factory – Boris Lutzkiy. First cars were assembled in 1905 – first of those 14 post cars was made on March, 26. At 1907 St.-Petersberg auto show Lessner has received a special prize for starting an automotive production in Russia on industrial basis. Until 1909, which has become the last year for Lessner, a few hundred cars were made. One of the interesting products was a 1909 all-wheel drive and 4WS car with a differential between axes and a 320mm clearance. But it has just remained a prototype…

Russo-Baltique C24/30

In 1869 Belgian company called Van Der Zypen and Charlier established a manufacture in Riga to produce railroad carriages. Beside them RBVZ has made agricultural machines, oil and kerosene engines and planes. In 1908 an automotive department was settled under the management of I.Friazinskiy. In the same year Belgian engineer Julien Potterat was invited as a chief constructor, who has previously worked at Fondu factory in Belgium. That’s why the first Russo-Baltiques looked so much like Fondu cars.
On May, 26, 1909 the first car has left the factory – Russo-Baltique C24/30 with a two-seater sport body. That car was the one which has participated in 1909 St.-Petersberg – Riga race driven by a constructor, Potterat, himself. Later some prototype bodies were applied to chassis #1.

Pictures:

1. Lessner at the start of a 1909 St.-Petersberg - Riga run.
2-3. Russo-Baltique C24/30 chassis. Source - denisovets.narod.ru.
4. Russo-Baltique C24/30 - the very first RBVZ car as it came off the factory. Source - denisovets.narod.ru.

faksta
11-13-2008, 07:38 AM
The race for IRAO prize (‘La Coupe du Tsar’, 'Kaiser Nicolaus Turenfahrt').

On December 19, 1909 Russian Automotive Society (RAO) has officially received a highest approval and was renamed to Emperor’s Russian Automotive Society (IRAO). That fact has changed many things, but first of all, the organization of automotive events now became much more simple, as IRAO has received some power levers. This can be easily noticed while speaking about the biggest race of 1910 in Russia – the 3200 kilometer run from Saint-Petersberg and back through Kiev and Moscow. Beside from IRAO, three ministries were involved in preparations. Many roads and bridges were fixed, free meals and beds were provided for participants, even military orchestras were mobilized to play on parkings. IRAO member L.Nobel has even provided a free oil and fuel of his own ‘Nobel’ company for every entrant.
Among 46 equipages in general, 24 were foreign ones or consisted of foreigners living in Russia. Two categories were announced, depending on engine displacement. The route was following: St.-Petersberg – Pskov – Vitebsk – Gomel – Kiev – Gomel – Roslavl – Moscow – Vyshnyi Volochek – St.-Petersberg, and was hit through June 16-30. Also two special stages were arranged – in Moscow and Kiev. The two stages were the only places where drivers could exceed a set maximum speed of 70 kph.
This first rally for an Emperor’s prize was leaded by foreign drivers, mostly factory ones. Thus, the first prize was won by a Mercedes driver Willi Poege. That car was specially built for a rally for Prince Heinrich of Prussia prize and had a 4514cc engine with an output of 120hp. Together with a special body weighing 978kg it allowed the car to reach 120kph. Of course, two production Russo-Baltique C24/30 cars (4501cc, 30hp) couldn’t compete with it in speed. One of them, driven by N.Galle, did not finish the race, while another C24/30, with Andrei Nagel at the wheel, has completed the whole run without penalty points and received IRAO prize. Also one woman took a part in a competition – Sofia Dolgorukaya, who drove her own Delaunay Belleville 18CV. The car has ended up with a hole in a radiator near Vyshnyi Volochek, when one of the participants casually hit Sofia’s car on a parking. Among the retired were also Albert Effron with a broken leaf spring on his Fiat and the founder of Lagonda factory, Wilbur Gunn with B.Hammond on a 12/18 model, who hit a tree.

Pictures:

1. Main trophy of the race - Emperor's prize.
2. Participants of 1910 race for IRAO prize.
3-4. Willi Poege on his Mercedes.
5-6. Russo-Baltique C24/30 with N.Galle at the wheel.

faksta
11-13-2008, 07:43 AM
1-2. Sofia Dolgorukaya and her Delaunay Belleville 18CV.
3. One of the participants.

IRAO
11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Correctur:
Starting list (SPb-Riga-SPb 1909):

Samuel Surmetz (with 1 "u", not modern estonian!)
Ivan Pousireff his car no Durkopp = Dürkopp or Duerkopp must be wroten!
Dubrowitcz
Basil Wsewoloschsky - hes car is belgian Pipe (no Pip!)
Fokine
Walensky
N. Opel (not brother from Adam Opel)

It is not foul liste, vergottem Eugen Feitelberg and others driver.
The pictures are also not correct:
"Maybe not" - Alexander Mordwinoff sur Pipe.
"Seems like Schneideroff and his Ford" - not! This photo is from USA!

Here is my last report:
Òðèóìô è òðàãåäèÿ Àëåêñàíäðà Âåò÷èíèíà (http://samoupravlenie.ru/29-18.php)

IRAO
11-16-2008, 06:08 AM
SPb - Riga - SPb 1909 Walensky. Wsewoloschsky

IRAO
11-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Fokine, Wsewoloschsky, Walensky, Weiner, wilhelm, Benz of military office

FACSTA, for change of pictures, my email: kitiletz%t-online.de

IRAO
11-16-2008, 06:23 AM
I. Pousireff sur Duerkopp

Adler... Attention! Russian old magazin wrote: driver Wilhelm, German old magazin fot the same photo wrote: driver Finke :)

faksta
11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Thank you very much, IRAO! Your help and your corrections are greatly appreciated!

Maybe you also have more pictures of Lessner cars?

IRAO
11-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Lessner TB-4 - 28/32 PS SPb-Riga-Spb 1909

IRAO
06-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Basil Wsewoloschsky, prezident of St.Petersburg Automobil-Club:
Here: ?. ?. ??????o???o? | ??????? ?????? (http://sundry.wmsite.ru/avtomobilnye-istorii/v-p-vsevolozhskoj/)

faksta
09-07-2009, 04:07 AM
1911 Coupe du Tsar (Sevastopol run)

The 1911 Coupe du Tsar has been organized with a new idea. The competition too place on worse roads than a year before to assess the possibility of using automobiles in such conditions. Every competitor was permitted to repair his car in a race, including engine replacement, but using only his own parts – nothing else could be applied. Having that in mind, every car must have arrived to a checkpoint in time and in a good condition. The imposing of off-road stages have had one more aim – disallow the participation of racing cars.
Moreover, this time it was a team competition – the winner was the one whose team received the least amount of point (divided by the team members number). Speed stages have been rejected, and the aim was a regularity. The route started in St.-Petersberg and went through Vyshnyi Volochek, Moscow, Tula, Kursk, Kharkov, Ekaterinoslav, Melitopol, Simferopol and ended up in Sevastopol – more than 2000 versts, including 750 versts of dirt roads. Entrants have been divided into five categories – above 9L (I cat.), 6-9L (II cat.), 4-6L (III cat.), 2.4-4L (IV cat.) and under 2.4L (V cat.).
57 cars took start in St.-Petersberg on September, 7 including 24 foreign equipages. 7 automotive clubs and 6 manufacturers were represented by them. Russo-Baltique drivers were E.Zigmunt on K12/20 and I.Purzhelis on C24/30. Both could not take part in a fight for a victory – Zigmunt retired in a middle of the distance, while Purzhelis bent a leaf spring of his car. However, three more Russo-Baltique cars were entered by non-factory drivers A.Nagel, V.Svistounoff and V.Shishkin, all three on C24/30 cars. Nagel managed to finish the race without penalty points, while Shishkin retired and Svistounoff scored some point for being late.
41 cars have successfully finishel in Sevastopol on September, 16. The winner was a team of First Russian Automobile Club from Moscow – I.Filippoff (Mercedes), N.Mironoff (Berliet), O.Follmann* (Minerva) and P.Iljin (La Buire). All the four team members scored no penalty points.
Among the others such companies as Horch, Komnick, Brennabor, Opel, Ford, Laurin & Klement, Lorraine-Dietrich, Loreley, Benz, Adler were represented, driven by some famous European drivers.
After the finish a little scandal took place – Rein automobile club director has made an appeal stating that Filippoff must get a penalty – he had a problem with a steering, which has been fixed during the race. But as a repair on a distance has been permitted, that appeal has been rejected. This story has had a negative influence on a future of Coupe du Tsar.

*I hope this is a right spelling.

Pictures:
1. One of the participants suffering from Russian dirt roads.

A number of other competitions were held in 1911, including Caucasus run, Moscow-Orel, Moscow-Riga and various verst races, but to get further with this thread I'd skip them.

faksta
09-07-2009, 05:23 AM
Russians at the II Monte Carlo rally

In January 1912 a second edition of famous Monte Carlo rally took place on European roads. As similar competitions were quite popular in Russian Empire, Andrei Nagel and Vadim Mikailoff decided to take part in an International run. In 1912 in addition to last year starting cities – Paris, Boulogne, Geneva, Vienna, Berlin, Brussels – four more have been specified – Amsterdam, Turin, Havre and St.-Petersberg. Average speed allowed was up to 25 km/h on some stages, while any repair of engine and chassis during the run has been prohibited – they have been sealed.
St.-Petersberg, the outermost city, has become a starting place for Andrei Nagel and Vadim Mikailoff. Russo-Baltique factory has prepared a special car for them – C24/55. A handsome and light two-seater open body without a windscreen (Nagel was afraid it would freeze) allowed to keep the car’s weight within 1300 kg. The engine was bored from 4501 to 4939cc, while compression rate raised from 4,0 to 5,5. Instead of cast-iron pistons aluminium ones were used. It all resulted in 55hp @ 1800rpm as compared to a standard C24/30’s 30hp @ 1200rpm. Stated maximum speed was around 113 km/h.
On January 13, 1912 (December 31, 1911 according old Russian calendar) Nagel and Mikailoff started in St.-Petersberg at 17 below zero, together with 86 more equipages starting from other cities. Nagel and Mikailoff (with a broken right hand) became the first who arrived to Monte-Carlo, but were only ninth in final classification, as beside the average speed such factors as number of passengers, windows, seats and concours d’elegance results were counted. Still Russo-Baltique #6 has won a ‘route prize’ for a longest distance and scoring no penalty points and 600 franks for being 9 in general. After this race Nagel has received an Order of St. Anna (3 class).

Pictures:
1. Russo-Baltique C24/55.
2. Russo-Baltique C24/55 - Nagel and Mikailoff before the start in St.-Petersberg.
3. Russo-Baltique C24/55 in snow.
4-5. Russo-Baltique C24/55 on a participants parade in Monte Carlo after finish.

faksta
09-07-2009, 05:42 AM
1912 Coupe du Tsar (Warszawa run)

The third edition of Coupe du Tsar in 1912 has become the last one, partly because of a last year’s post-finish scandal. Only 19 cars have been entered with just 9 foreign equipages. Even a domestic Russo-Baltique did not attend the race with its works team.
Just like before, a new route has been chosen – St.-Petersberg – Reval – Riga – Warszawa – Kiev – Moscow. Again this year the rally was held with a personal classification. 11 cars have successfully finished in Moscow, with only 3 finishers without penalty points. Fedor Shorygin from Moscow has won the last of IRAO long distance races on a small 24hp Loreley.

Pictures:

1. Kendall on Austin driving into Reval.
2. Von Luecke on Komnick at the start in Reval.

faksta
09-07-2009, 10:18 AM
SPAK International circuit race

This significant event happened on May 26, 1913 and became known as a first ever circuit race in Russian Empire. St.-Petersberg Automobile Club (SPAK) wanted to organize a Russian Grand Prix, but it was decided not to hurry and to assess the possibility of a GP race. The track was made on public roads near St.-Petersberg between Krasnoe Selo, Ligovo, Pulkovo and Alexandrovskaya. Circuit length has not been measured, but was stated to be 30,5 km. It was planned that a seven lap race should last about 4-5 hours. Every 1.5 verst a controller officer has been standing – an alternative to what we call a race marshall today.
21 cars attended the first circuit race. The starting list looked like this:

#1 – Meller (D?) Mercedes 4 cyl.
#2 – Slubsky (R) Excelsior 6 cyl.
#3 – Rychkov (R) Berliet 4 cyl. (the car was driven by two Rychkov’s drivers)
#4 – Oganesov (R) Bianchi 4 cyl.
#5 – Suvorin (R) Benz 29/60PS 4 cyl.
#6 – Ghisser (R) Benz 4 cyl.
#7 – Shishkin (R) Stoewer B4 19/45PS 4 cyl.
#8 – Nothombe (R) Metallurgique 27/80 4 cyl.
#9 – Ivanov (R) Russo-Baltique C24/58 4 cyl.
#10 – Birkigt (CH) Hispano-Suiza 4 cyl.
#11 – Rietti (I) Lancia 4 cyl.
#12 – Novikov (R) Vauxhall 4 cyl.
#13 – Effron (R) Vauxhall A 4 cyl.
#14 – Hollowell (GB) Vauxhall 4 cyl.
#15 – Jossa (?) Excelsior 4 cyl.
#16 – Ovsiannikoff (R) Vauxhall 4 cyl.
#17 – Pluim (R) Hupmobile R 32hp 4 cyl.
#18 – Duray (F) Metallurgique 15/20 4 cyl.
#19 – Donier (F) Opel 4 cyl.
#20 – Grebenschikoff (R) Hupmobile R 22hp 4 cyl.
#21 – Koliar (?) Wanderer 2 cyl.

Meller, Novikov and Jossa did not start, so only 18 entrants took start at 11.30 every minute. The novelty of this type of racing caused some funny situations. Thus, two Rychkov’s drivers stopped on a finish line after the very first lap, but fortunately remained in the race, thanks to controller officers and public. During a second lap of the race heavy rain has begun, which caused many problems to drivers on the smallest automobiles. Many drivers retired during the seven laps, others have had some problems. Within Krasnoe Selo it was decided to impose a 10-minute time neutralization to avoid speeding in a settlement. As any car arrived to Krasone Selo, controller officer gave the driver a switched on stopwatch. On the exit from Krasnoe Selo driver had to wait until 10 minutes pass and only then could continue the race. When Ivanov, who was among the leaders, arrived to the village, controller gave him a switched off stopwatch, which has been noticed only four or five minutes later, so the driver had to stop on the exit and wait until the stopwatch showed 10 minutes. Pissed off, he started to risk - set a best lap time twice, showed an average speed of 126,1 km/h on a wet road and drove to a second place, three minutes behind the winner – Suvorin. The same thing with timing happened to Effron and Shishkin.
Only 8 competitors finished that race. The results were following:

1. Suvorin (2:23.54,6)
2. Ivanov (+2.56,4)
3. Nothombe (+5.24,4)
4. Duray (+26.21,8)
5. Effron (+41.15,4)
6. Shishkin (+53.40,4)
7. Birkigt (+1:04.25,0)
8. Grebenschikoff (+1:27.47,2)
DNF Rychkov (7L)
DNF Oganesov (7L)
DNF Slubsky (5L)
DNF Ghisser (4L)
DNF Pluim (4L)
DNF Ovsiannikoff (3L)
DNF Donier (2L)
DNF Koliar (2L)
DNF Hollowell (1L)

Beside from common classification two more criteria have been imposed – average speed on each lap (won by Grebenschikoff, then Duray and Rietti) and engine, which was based on such indicators as car weight, average speed, number of cylinders, bore and stroke (won by Duray, then Ivanov and Nothombe).
In the end I’d like to say something about two cars competing in a SPAK International race which had a connection with Russian automotive industry. First of all, the winner’s car – Benz 29/60PS. This car had a Russian lightweight body installed on an original German chassis – it was a body made by either a St.-Petersberg Benz department or Russo-Baltique technical center in St.-Petersberg – historians mention both versions.
The second interesting car was a Russo-Baltique C24/58. It was nothing but a car which took part in Monte Carlo rally a year ago. It’s current owner, Ivan Ivanov, has modified an engine and replaced an old touring body with a new racing one, painted green, which was the reason why the car has been nicknamed Ogurets (‘cucumber’ in Russian). Driving the C24/58 Ivanov has set an absolute speed record for a Russian car on May 14, 1913 – 143,4 km/h on one verst distance, although it was significantly less than a new absolute Russian record set by Franz Hoerner in the same year on his mighty Benz – 202,1 km/h. His record remained unbeaten until 1952.

Pictures:

1. Track scheme (I have it only in this scale).
2. The winners - Suvorin and his Benz with a special body.
3. Arthur Duray (right) with his almost production Metallurgique.
4. Grebenschikoff and his Hupmobile.
5. Nothombe in a Metallurgique 27/80.
6. Ivanov's Russo-Baltique C24/58.

faksta
09-07-2009, 10:22 AM
SPAK International race pictures #2:

1. Ivan Ivanov (right) with a cup for his second place in front of a C24/58.
2. Ghisser (left) and Suvorin (right) in their Benz cars. As far as I know this picture has been taken during a St.-Petersberg International autoshow in 1913, a couple days before the race.

faksta
09-07-2009, 10:47 AM
Two verst race with obstacles near Moscow.

In the same 1913, on September 29, First Russian Automobile Club together with a military office have organized a very unusual competition near Moscow. Drivers had to cover two versts through a cross country with natural obstacles. The route has been kept in secret until the very start – it has been only known that there should have been a hill somewhere. Any cars with 4 seats, headlamps, fenders and mufflers were allowed to start with an equipage of 2-4 people, and there was no division on categories. In case of a breakdown only competitors’ own equipment could have been used.
14 entrants decided to try themselves and their cars (from 7 to 28hp) in this discipline. When the track has been uncovered, it turned out that they have to overcome a bulgy road, a ravine with a river on its bottom, a sharp rise and a river again, this time to be passed lenghtwise its bed, then a sharp turn and a rise on a slick forest road. In general - only two versts and 30 minutes to finish. Many competitors used chains and ropes, which were put on their wheels. First cars have broken the already bad road, and the following competitors had to run in even more difficult conditions. That didn’t prevent Teffersfeld from winning the event on his 12hp Ford within 4 minutes 42 seconds. The best woman in the race was E.Samsonova, who has completed the distance in 8 minutes 13 seconds in a Hupmobile.

dilettante
09-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Thanks "faksta" for this new chapter of Russian motorsport history ! :)

faksta
09-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Grand Prix de SPAK

The finest hour of Russian motorsport and the most significant event up to the date has come on May 18, 1914, when Saint-Petersberg Automobile Club organized an International Grand Prix on the same roads near St.-Petersberg which accepted a SPAK International race a year before. In the beginning of 1914 invitations have been sent to many European clubs and manufacturers.
Unfortunately, the event turned out to be not so great as it could be – most manufacturers have been preparing to an ACF Grand Prix which had to start within a month and a half, and the only works driver on GP de SPAK was Aquila Italiana’s Beria d’Argentine (apart from Russo-Baltique's own Ivan Ivanov), but even his car was basically a sportscar with a racing body. The only two racing cars were a 15-liter Benz entered by Willy Scholl and Slubsky’s Excelsior, which he drove a year ago in SPAK International race – the latter was a car bought from Joseph Christiaens after he has finished a Brussels-St.-Petersberg run in 1913. This time two classifications have been imposed – an ordinary one, in a finish order, and depending on a regularity with a most mechanical impact, which was counted by a very moderate formula.
The distance, which was planned to be 360 versts (12 laps) has been cut to 210 versts (7 laps) because of the governor’s ban to take the road for more than 5 hours.
Starting list for the first and still the last Grand Prix race in Russia looked like this:

#1 – Scholl (D) Benz
#2 – Slubsky (R) Excelsior
#3 – Ghisser (R) Benz
#4 – Ivanov (R) Russo-Baltique C24/60
#5 – Ovsiannikoff (R) Vauxhall 30/98E
#6 – Sadyker (R) Sunbeam
#7 – d’Argentine (I) Aquila Italiana
#8 – Samsonova (R) Hupmobile
#9 – Boboshko (R) Hupmobile
#10 – Wern (R) Hupmobile
#11 – Rashevsky (R) Vauxhall
#12 – Neugebauer (?) Rochet-Schneider
#13 – Grebenschikoff (R) Buick
#14 – Sokoloff (R) Argyll
#15 – Jamoida (R) NAG

Three of fifteen entrants – Ghisser, Neugebauer and Jamoida - did not start, so the race consisted of only 12 cars. Scholl started first and didn’t let anyone to overtake him during the whole race, along the way setting a new lap record – 13 minutes 55,6 seconds – almost half a minute faster than Ivanov a year before. Slubsky could have had a chance of getting Scholl, but spent some 20 minutes trying to fix the clutch. 7 cars have finished that race, with 6 classifed, as Sokoloff drove his Argyll to a finish already after the timing was closed.
Final classification:

1. Scholl (1:48.32,2)
2. Ovsiannikoff (+10.29,6)
3. d’Argentine (+13.08,6)
4. Slubsky (+28.38,0)
5. Rashevsky (+40.59,8)
6. Boboshko (+1:10.24,8)
7. Sokoloff (not classified)
DNF Samsonova (3L)
DNF Sadyker (2L)
DNF Ivanov (1L)
DNF Wern (1L)
DNF Grebenschikoff (1L)

This year Ivanov has once more modified his Russo-Baltique. The engine was bored again and the output rose to about 60hp. A new body has been installed with a German-esque sharp radiator. This was the last modification of a Monte Carlo car.
Six weeks after the race Franz Ferdinand d’Este was killed in Sarajevo, in 1917 the socialist revolution happened in Russia, which led to a civil war and motor racing has been nearly forgotten for quite a long time.

Pictures:

1. Willy Scholl - the winner of the only Grand Prix race in Russian history.
2. Ovsiannikoff's Vauxhall 30/98E (note that Vauxhall is written with cyrillic letters, which was a common practice those days).
3-4. The only foreign works driver - Beria d'Argentine and his Aquila Italiana.
5-6. Next generation of Ivanov's car - Russo-Baltique C24/60.

IRAO
10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Nothombe was a Russian citizen!!!
Who is Muller??? Hes name was Meller (other Meller, not from Moscow "Dux")

Here i the list of Mercedes-Victory in Russian Empire.

faksta
10-24-2009, 04:59 PM
I'll check where I took this information from, I'm afraid I don't remember my source for these exact pieces of information from my head now.

IRAO
10-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Here are my reports (new versions wroten in Russian with many pictures):

1. Peter Pousanoff (early race driver)
2. St. Petesburg Automobil-Club
3. Russian tyres "Prowodnik" and "Treugolnik"
4. Basil Wsewoloschsky (President of St Petersburg Automobil-Club)
5. Paul Beljajeff (first winner in Russia)
6. Bruno Fahrig (automobil-sportsman)
7. Jakob Drewitzki (automobil-sportsman)
8. Automobiles "Loreley" in Russia (also in sport)
9. Basil Soldatenkoff (automobil-sportsman, recordsman of Russia)
10. Emil Pluym (sporsman and dealer)
11. Family Beckel (automobile-dealers)
12. Nikolaus von Meck (automobil-sportsman)
13. Sofia Dolgorukaja (automobil-sportswuman)
14. Samuel Surmetz (early automobil-sportsman)
15. Alexander Wetchinine (automobil-sportsman)
16. Iwan Iwanoff (automobil-sportsman)
17. Baltische Atomobil- und Aero-Club

Klick on: Àâòîìîáèëüíàÿ èñòîðèÿ Ðîññèè | Êàïðèçû ïàìÿòè (http://sundry.wmsite.ru/avtomobilnye-istorii/)

IRAO
10-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Mercedes-Kegresse built in Russia (Ice-racing St. Petersburg-Kronstadt, 1913) my report in German - the car ant the 1:43 model (available!)

Klick here:

http://www.mercfan.de/MBMC/MercedesKegresse.pdf

International Mercedes-Benz Club Forum :: View topic - Neu! Daimler 26/45 Kégresse "Schneewagen". (http://forum.mercedes-benz-clubs.com/viewtopic.php?t=21152)

Triumph
11-01-2009, 02:44 AM

In the same 1913, on September 29, First Russian Automobile Club together with a military office have organized a very unusual competition near Moscow. (...) That didn’t prevent Teffersfeld from winning the event of his 12hp Ford within 4 minutes 42 seconds.

The winner of this race was
Ivan (Johannes Friedrich Karl) Teffersfeld
10 August 1875 Mitau - 18 November 1929 Riga

He was a cavalry officer who led the Russion Ford Agency in Moskau before the first world war. That is the reason why he drove Ford.

He was my grand-grandfather.

faksta
11-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Welcome, Triumph!
Very interesting addition, thank you. Do you have any stories or pictures of your grand-grandfather's racing activities that you would like to share?

IRAO
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Triumph!

Haben Sie irgendwelche Unterlagen über Ihr Urgrossvater Herrn Teffersfeld? Fotos, Biographie u s.w.?
Ich versuche seit Jahren die Biographien von bekannten Automobilisten des Russischen Kaiserreiches zu rekonstruiren. Ich koennte darueber (mit Ihrer Hilfe!) ein Bericht schreiben. Viele Nachkommen von russischen Rennfahrer halfen mir bereits.
Schreiben Sie mir bitte unter: kiriletz%t-online.de

Ich danke Ihnen in Voraus!

Gruss! Stanislav Kiriletz

P.S. Generalvertreter fuer Ford war in SPb und Moskau ein Amerikaner - Herr M.S. Friede.

Kirke2360
03-03-2024, 01:32 PM
Hello from England, I run the Vauxhall 30-98 website: https://www.vauxhall30-98register.com. I would like to correspond with anyone who has information about Vauxhall in Russia in the period 1913-1917, especially the SPAK races in 1913/4. The story of drivers Novikov, Effron, Hollowell (GB), Ovsiannikoff would be very interesting, especially any photos. I found a very good article about Ovsiannikoff on the web a few years ago, but can no longer find it. Does anyone have a copy please? Also the Vauxhall branch in St Petersburg (Petrograd), on Nevksy Pr. would be of great interest. Thank you. David K