PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes to buy out McLaren?

Kitdy
01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
This is only a rumour, so I am not sure that I should be posting it, but here goes. This could be pretty earth shattering as if Mercedes does buy out McLaren, what are the chances that we see McLaren branded cars in F1? McLaren as we know it would be over, and the team would be Mercedes only. Right now, Mercedes owns 40% of McLaren, Bahraini holding company Mumtalakat owns 30%, Ron Dennis 15% and Mansour Ojjeh 15%. This is only my speculation, but I could see Ron Dennis or Mansour Ojjeh not selling out as they are partners and I would bet probably want the team to remain named McLaren, but this is only my guess, I could be totally wrong. Dennis and Ojjeh sold 30% of McLaren to Mumtalakat last year, and this critical move may prove to be the death of McLaren as we know it.

Auto Motor und Sport claims not only that the deal is being considered by Mercedes, but that the deal is essentially done.

Then again, maybe all this is bullshit. Anyways, shocking news. I think that it would be a shame for a name as illustrious and successful as McLaren to be banished to the history books, but that's just my 2 cents. ON the other hand, I do like to see manufactures in F1 as I like to see the battles between manufacturers and they also provide a stability not often found with privateers - at least in the past 20 or so years.

From Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/17/rumormill-mercedes-preparing-to-buy-out-mclaren/).

henk4
01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Mercedes got increasingly uncomfortable with the Ron Dennis style of management last year. If the name McLaren is to disappear, I know to whom to point the finger.
Auto Motor und sport is usually rather well informed, so be prepared...

Kitdy
01-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Mercedes got increasingly uncomfortable with the Ron Dennis style of management last year. If the name McLaren is to disappear, I know to whom to point the finger.
Auto Motor und sport is usually rather well informed, so be prepared...

What was it about his management that they disliked? The spy fiasco?

henk4
01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
What was it about his management that they disliked? The spy fiasco?

his PR in general and the spy case in particular.

magracer
01-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I see this happening... I'd say the $100 million penalty would have played a big part in this deal, but also giving away a championship they virtually had in their pockets, not least because of the equal status offered by management to the drivers.

I just had the brightest idea! what if Prodrive and McLaren got together and formed an old school english team. Problem being an engine supplier now that British Leyland is gone...;););) Would Rolls Royce provide them? Wait, that's german owned now too, right? Triumph then? no they only do motorcycles ...hmm, Lotus! But, they do put Toyota engines in their elises... Ferrari engine deal then.... :confused: Wasn't too bright after all...:o

Ferrer
01-17-2008, 04:08 PM
his PR in general and the spy case in particular.
Losing both championships when they had arguably the best driving pair and fastest car, mustn't have helped either.

Matra et Alpine
01-18-2008, 04:21 AM
magracer, plenty of race engine designers and manufacturers in the UK doing exceptionally well :)
MacLaren Engines ( NOT the same one ), Judd, Powertec, Hartley, et al

Wouter Melissen
01-18-2008, 04:48 AM
magracer, plenty of race engine designers and manufacturers in the UK doing exceptionally well :)
MacLaren Engines ( NOT the same one ), Judd, Powertec, Hartley, et al

Don't forget Zytek and AER.

fpv_gtho
01-18-2008, 05:34 AM
I cant see Mercedes using 2007 as an example for why to take over full control of the team. You could argue that Dennis' grooming nature towards Hamilton and an inability to recognise what was happening inside his team when other senior members did compromised their chances for both titles, but he deserves a chance to rectify some of the things hes done wrong. The perfect thing for Dennis and McLaren right now would be to come to Melbourne ready to fight Ferrari on the track once again. If for next year the team falls behind BMW and Renault and theres continued disruptive politics within the team, there'd be cause for Mercedes to step in and run the team themselves.

magracer
01-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Don't forget Zytek and AER.

magracer, plenty of race engine designers and manufacturers in the UK doing exceptionally well
MacLaren Engines ( NOT the same one ), Judd, Powertec, Hartley, et al.

There you go, can someone make this guys exchange phone numbers then?

Wouter Melissen
01-18-2008, 08:06 AM
There you go, can someone make this guys exchange phone numbers then?

Will you provide the funding then ? I think it is virtually impossible to make a F1 engine without manufacturer support.

magracer
01-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Will you provide the funding then ? I think it is virtually impossible to make a F1 engine without manufacturer support.

Hmm, all my liquid assets are currently allocated to other projects, so i wouldn't be able to assist. Tell Dennis and Richards sorry about that. In related news, did you know Citibank managed to source $21 billion this week from middle east investors to boost its capital requirements after the subprime credit crisis? Now you tell me these fine, reputed, business men wouldn't be able to find a measly $400 million a year. ;)

Also, I think I read in a certain forum by a very reputed member that an english manufacturer is already providing engines for another series ((http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/racing-forums/35302-aston-martin-power-new-lola-lmp1-coupe.html), and I think Prodrive runs their cars in another category in the same series... this must somehow add up... :rolleyes:

Coventrysucks
01-18-2008, 07:16 PM
For 16 of the 26 years (60%) that Ron Dennis has been team principal at McLaren, the team has been 1st or 2nd in the Championship standings.

I think the only person who can rival that level of success as a team principal is Frank Williams.

Mercedes already owns a very significant stake in the company, and it makes sense that they would want to take control of the group when Dennis steps down from running the company - something which is probably due in the next few years. If you had hundreds of millions of Euros tied up in a business, and it was going to be changing hands - wouldn't you like it to be your hands that are taking over?

Or it is another segment of a failed British Motor industry being bought out from under an incompetent team manager by ze Germans, as some people are happier to see it.

Cyco
01-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Well if looking for a 'British' engine Cosworth has a approved V8 sitting on the shelf waiting for a customer...