PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield - Crap

Blue Supra
01-19-2008, 05:37 AM
Yes you heard me! I went and saw this piece of crap tonight and was not HAPPY :mad:

Without giving anything away, there is NO ending. It just ends, no resolution.

Worst thing in any movie EVER is a lack of story resolution.

Wait for DVD guys. Seriously.

acfsambo
01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
I saw it today also and thought it was alright.u tell me how it was supposed to end? the basic answer is that (Spoiler in white)
they bombed the place to pieces and as the movie is based on the recordings there is no chance for recordings after that

the story did end

Blue Supra
01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
no thats not a resolution.

thats a plot highlight, the ending leaves too many unanswered questions. i wont ask them here as i could spoil it for others.

clutch-monkey
01-19-2008, 06:01 AM
seems to be a love or hate movie.

werty
01-19-2008, 06:47 AM
you are retarded

The movie is completely awesome

the ending is that way so its not like every other crap movie that comes out of hollywood

its brilliant from start to finish

spoiler in white

at the end when they are talking on the ferris wheel before they blow up....in the background the monster falls from space and into the ocean...but it really far away

Matra et Alpine
01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
The ending is easily explained when we look at Hollywood film history .......

SEQUEL

answer in white :)

aiasib
01-19-2008, 09:32 AM
you know i just realized the UCP background isn't exactly white....

my porsche
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Off white.

I'll be honest, this movie looked like shit. All the pretentious websites ahead of time combined with the commercials that showed almost none of what was happening made me think it would be totally overhyped, then I saw the full length preview and it was just Godzilla from like 1997 or whatever. I have yet to see it, but I doubt I'll see it in theaters, wait for DVD.

The_Canuck
01-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I want to see it, it can't be worse than I am Legend...."oh yeah well theres this colony of people who are alive in like....Virginia so....yeah thats about it."

ScionDriver
01-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Well my friend went and saw it and he said it was awesome. I keep hearing bad things so I think I will wait for the DVD.

ZeTurbo
01-19-2008, 11:22 AM
It really is a love-hate movie. There are many things that are very interesting and well done. Other things you just wonder what the hell was wrong with the writers...

The way it was filmed, the way you NEVER get an overall area view of the scenes and that you are allways in first persson view, allows you to imerse yourself in the movie. You can feel the distress and panic at certain moments. The whole idea isnt new, but i find it is better executed than blair witch project for example.
And yes the ending is abrupt, and you dont really know what happens after, but so is life! thats how it would look if somebody had actually filmed.
I like how (almost)everyone dies, regardless of how important they were in the plot of the story.
Also because the actors are relatively unknown, they are very believable as ordinary people.

Now, there are so many inexplainable, impossible and plain stupid things in this movie that i could go on for pages. Like that monster... W....T....F!?!?

Oh, and is it me or is that movie like 75 min. long?

I think its worth it just for the visuals.

ZeTurbo
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
The ending is easily explained when we look at Hollywood film history .......

SEQUEL

answer in white :)

I am not a fan sequels either (with rare ocasions), But i wouls like to see a sequel, from a parallel point of view. maybe from the army's, were we could get an explanation as of just what the hell it was, how it got here etc... allthough as i say this it sounds like a really crapy sequel.

Im just wondering what excuse they would use to explain that monster. alien? nuclear experiment gone wrong? godzilla's couzin?
frankly i dont think they could come up with anything ... thats probably why they didint even bother :)

TVRs4eva
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
you are retarded

the ending is that way so its not like every other crap movie that comes out of hollywood

spoiler in white

at the end when they are talking on the ferris wheel before they blow up....in the background the monster falls from space and into the ocean...but it really far away

Alright I didn't see the movie, but your quote has me curious... so are you saying that this monster thing was an alien? Why did it come from space at the end if it was already attacking the city for the entire movie?

RacingManiac
01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Toronto Star's review said the monster looked like a fusion of lizard and crab covered with leftover from a seafood buffet.....anywho there are a bunch of viral sites around that suggest this monster had something to do with some japanese company and their drinks made from deep ocean goodness....lol

probably see this next week, though I might watch Rambo instead...

TVRs4eva
01-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Toronto Star's review said the monster looked like a fusion of lizard and crab covered with leftover from a seafood buffet.....anywho there are a bunch of viral sites around that suggest this monster had something to do with some japanese company and their drinks made from deep ocean goodness....lol

probably see this next week, though I might watch Rambo instead...
Judging from break.com's grainy footage of it, that sounds pretty accurate. And please tell me you're joking about actually seeing Rambo :o

Lotec_Sirius
01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
From what I've heard it is not very good. I'll wait for the DVD.

NSXType-R
01-19-2008, 02:36 PM
My cousin had wanted to go and see it. Judging from you guys, I should wait for it to come out on DVD.

Luckily I didn't. I'm piss tired from finals.

EJ2-B16a
01-19-2008, 03:37 PM
i was told the movie was alright

DesmoRob
01-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Saw it last night with the girlfriend. We both thought that the way the movie was done was unique, and although it didn't explain a whole lot, we thought that being done from the camera's point of view made it a lot more intense than just any old movie. What's the big fuss about waiting for the movie to come out on DVD though? Are you guys seriously too cheap to spend 8 bucks at the theatre as opposed to 5 bucks at blockbuster?:p

Blue Supra
01-19-2008, 04:27 PM
Well its actually $30 for two people to see at the movies or $4 at blockbuster...

I liked the film STYLE, the first person was brilliant. I just didnt like the abrupt ending.

Also i didnt SEE anything fall out of the sky at the end, possibly something to look for when/if i see it ever again.

ZeTurbo
01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Well its actually $30 for two people to see at the movies or $4 at blockbuster...

:eek: WOW, 15$ for a movie ticket... what a ripoff, id never go to the movies...

RacingManiac
01-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Judging from break.com's grainy footage of it, that sounds pretty accurate. And please tell me you're joking about actually seeing Rambo :o

Why not, it can't be worst than Rocky.....what with heads getting chopped off and such....lol

clutch-monkey
01-19-2008, 05:42 PM

well it's $5.50 for me or $4 at blockbuster...so...i might as well see it at the movies. you guys get ripped off hard down south

sleekeywoowoo
01-19-2008, 06:23 PM
IT IS A GREAT MOVIE. PEOple think its crap because they didnt't see the monster splash into the ocean at the end of the movie which explains that it came from outer space. Now, the movie isnt crappy, you just missed that park. And if you go to a movie like this,what do you expect. What the hell could be that huge and acutally believeable, you tell me now, tell me now.

clutch-monkey
01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
^ thanks for the spoiler warning.
cock.

2ndclasscitizen
01-19-2008, 08:46 PM
It's not a crap movie by any length, but it's far from a good one. The hand held camera work wasn't that bad, though they should've cut around the parts when they were running and it was just blur. Unfortunately movies like this are usually entertaining because they have a giant monster going to town on a city and the military trying to blow the shit out of it, but this movie is about 4 people trying to find someone else in the midst of that. And it was barely good at that. The movie hardly ended abruptly, in fact for me the ending dragged on, especially when you consider that the end was a forgone conclusion.

DesmoRob
01-19-2008, 08:56 PM

Wow, I pay $16 for my gf and I to see a movie, at a good movie theatre. Now I don't blame you.

IBrake4Rainbows
01-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Anything with this much hype?

Overrated.

JJ Abrams is the master of not finishing stories properly.

clutch-monkey
01-19-2008, 11:28 PM
well, i just got told by my friend it's not worth the $5 movie ticket at imax to go see it, so it can't be that great...but hey, if i find $5 on the pavement, i'll check it out.

Slebonson
01-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Good thing car guys don't "do" movies we centainly would SUCK at it! hahahahaha!

Matt
01-20-2008, 07:18 AM
I saw it last night and thought it was great. You really did feel like you were part of the action with the first person camera. And, even though they were sometimes annoying like real people, the characters seemed completely realistic. I'd pay to see it again.

P.S. If you get motion sickness easily, you might tag out on this one. I had two friends get sick during the movie.

my porsche
01-20-2008, 08:56 AM
IT IS A GREAT MOVIE. PEOple think its crap because they didnt't see the monster splash into the ocean at the end

I'm not convinced that a split second scene of a monster splashing into the ocean would make or break an entire movie.

-What-
01-20-2008, 03:04 PM
I seen it and I liked it. It's "different". A movie with this much love-it-or-hate-it criticism deserves to be seen. There must be something about it. And if you go see it and don't like it...so what? A little money "wasted". Life.

People shouldn't expect an explanation/resolution from this type of movie. I think that would defeat the purpose and completely take the "reality" out of the film. This film is supposed to be about a civilian filmed documentation about an alien attack recovered by the government that "we" are allowed to view. Why would a civilian's camera clips offer clues as to what happened? We are only seeing what they saw.

Bob
01-22-2008, 08:45 PM
I saw it last night and thought it was great. You really did feel like you were part of the action with the first person camera. And, even though they were sometimes annoying like real people, the characters seemed completely realistic. I'd pay to see it again.

P.S. If you get motion sickness easily, you might tag out on this one. I had two friends get sick during the movie.I thought it was brilliant. THe camera work and lack of an explanation both made the movie for me seem more personal and realistic. You don't feel like a person watching a movie- you feel like you're in it yourself. Everything is blurred and confused and hurried just like it would be if something like this actually happened. Iwas actually reminded of 911 or any other terrorist attack- smoke, confusion, death, no idea what's going on, no idea what to do. That made the movie pretty powerful for me. The rest of the movie was built around that, I think. They didn't make any compromises to spoon feed people the story, that would have compromised the emotional part of it. So on the whole I thought it was quite good.

*Spoiler*

About the record surviving. I think it's 100% possible. They were sheltered under a bridge, and they weren't bombed directly, the monster was, and it might have been in a different part of manhattan. Of course it was buried in the rubble, but especially with a bridge over it, there's no reason why it should have been ruined.

Bob
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Cloverfield (2008) - FAQ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/faq#.2.1.40) has accurate background information about everything known about it. And some have said that the "monster" is seen falling from the sky at the end- it's not. It's not. It's a satellite, which the writer said many times. Probably part of the ad campaign. Interestingly, all the geography and physics in the movie is accurate, which makes it even better.

Cotterik
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
aww man the trailer looked pretty damn awesome. but since the whole movie is supposed to be a recording of the experience BEFORE new york was destroyed (correct me if I'm wrong) I wouldve expected there to be a mixed ending because the story is in the past. If you know what I mean. Is it really that bad?

whiteballz
01-22-2008, 09:47 PM
My girlfriend and i went and saw it last night, I'd actually give it a solid 4 out of 5, We both really enjoyed it. I'd recommend it to anyone that has a deeper train of thought about movies and the social influences/interaction within them.

clutch-monkey
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
^ what about lots of explosions and sweet monsters, like the trailers indicated?

whiteballz
01-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, Its got explosions, *fond memory* including one woman seemingly exploding for little reason other than internal combustion.

NSXType-R
01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, Its got explosions, *fond memory* including one woman seemingly exploding for little reason other than internal combustion.

Yes, she's an engine. :D

I love how automotive oriented we all are.

Lotec_Sirius
01-23-2008, 01:13 PM
I saw it and I thought it was very entertaining, but I liked the Jurassic Park movies more

F1_Master
01-23-2008, 01:56 PM
you are retarded

spoiler in white

I'm sorry. Are people not entitled to their opinions here?

And no. That's not the monster. The size of the monster which can fully be seen near the end looked way too big to make the splash seen at the end. The writer has already told the press it was a satellite. That's where the theory of the satellite awaking it comes from.

Alright I didn't see the movie, but your quote has me curious... so are you saying that this monster thing was an alien? Why did it come from space at the end if it was already attacking the city for the entire movie?
There's 2 or 3 points in the movie where the camera is either being rewound or dropped and causes the memory in the camcorder to play back previously taped scenes. When it was knocked down at the end, it caused the camera to play back the ferris wheel scene.

^ what about lots of explosions and sweet monsters, like the trailers indicated?
The little buggers only appear maybe 2-3 times at most. All, or nearly all, the explosions you see except for the best one are pretty much shown on the trailers.

Now, I thought the movie was actually bad. It's typical JJ Abrams style, but the monster shown wasn't exactly unique. All it's features were pretty much a mash of 3 creatures on earth. The things that bugged me was some of the characters, & how the camera managed to be dropped by Hud and still manage to work fine.

I don't believe the movie was unique at all, either. We've seen a monster attack New York, & we've seen the main character do that cheesey, "I'm going back for her! I don't care if you're with me or not!" and we've seen the camera style before. The only thing unique appeared to be the monsters, which from what I saw, looked like miniature scorpions with a few different features.

What I did like though, was the helicopter scene. Don't know why, but that was pretty cool to finally see the monster in full view & watch its ass get owned for a second. It was one of those scenes were you think they've won, and then the creature just gets pissed off instead.

SlickHolden
01-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Wait for "Jumpers"

lith8872
01-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Off white.

I'll be honest, this movie looked like shit. All the pretentious websites ahead of time combined with the commercials that showed almost none of what was happening made me think it would be totally overhyped, then I saw the full length preview and it was just Godzilla from like 1997 or whatever. I have yet to see it, but I doubt I'll see it in theaters, wait for DVD.

i wouldn't call it pretentious that they did the websites as much as just marketing strategy, although it didn't get the attention like Abrams thought it would.

it's called ARG, or alternate reality gaming. the first to use it in advertising was when Steven Spielberg used it to advertise AI (if anybody actually remembers that lol), and it had stuff being done online that tied into the movie.

the most famous example within the last year or so was when Nine Inch Nails used it to advertise their new album Year Zero. it was a pretty complex campaign so i'll just link to it cause i'm lazy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_timeline_of_the_Year_Zero_alternate_reali ty_game)