PDA

View Full Version : SAT

my porsche
01-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Just took my SAT today...omg longest test of my life. Wasn't all too hard and I think I did pretty well *knock on wood* I got a 182/240 on my psat (89th percentile, blah) so hopefully I did better on this one.

Anyone else take the SAT or PSAT recently?

MRR
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Just took my SAT today...omg longest test of my life. Wasn't all too hard and I think I did pretty well *knock on wood* I got a 182/240 on my psat (89th percentile, blah) so hopefully I did better on this one.

Yeah finally friggin done with college admissions and everything just waiting to hear back. PSAT scores don't translate well to SAT scores and I scored a hell of a lot higher than the predicted score they gave me.

my porsche
01-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah finally friggin done with college admissions and everything just waiting to hear back. PSAT scores don't translate well to SAT scores and I scored a hell of a lot higher than the predicted score they gave me.

Sweeeeet. What did you get? If you don't mind my asking? And where all did you apply?

That would be an 1820 on the SAT...I'm really hoping to at least beark 2,000, I think if I take it again and write a better essay I could get a 2,150.

baddabang
01-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Worthless test.

blingbling
01-26-2008, 10:49 PM
if you get 89th percentile, american education = fail

kingofthering
01-26-2008, 11:35 PM
I got 1860-ish but a 5 on the essay.

I Asian fail now.

CdocZ
01-26-2008, 11:47 PM

It doesn't test knowledge or how much you have learned......it was never meant to, lol

blingbling
01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
it tests test-taking skills and raw, unapplicable, unpractical memorization

blingbling
01-27-2008, 11:14 AM
and obviously, "aptitude" what ever that REALLY ACTUALLY MEANS

MRR
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Sweeeeet. What did you get? If you don't mind my asking? And where all did you apply?

That would be an 1820 on the SAT...I'm really hoping to at least beark 2,000, I think if I take it again and write a better essay I could get a 2,150.

I got a 2100 which I guess is ok. Take it more than once though since I got my best score the second time I took it. I applied a bunch of places, 14 schools all in all. Some may think I am crazy but there are more people applying to college in the US than in the history of our country so I am not taking any chances.

my porsche
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Thanks, dick. I'm actually pretty smart.

King of the ring, the 5 is what killed your score dude, it's 5 of 12...I just hope my essay was good, i got to the end of it and was like... "shit this is slightly off topic..."

cmcpokey
01-27-2008, 03:53 PM
i got a 1320.... but that was like 8 years ago...

damn im old.

Quiggs
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I took the SAT when you couldn't get above a 1600.

<--- 1190.

my porsche
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM

<--- 1190.

I got a 1050 or 1150 out of 1600 in 7th grade. You = fail.

johnnynumfiv
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM

<--- 1190.

I took it the year they switched, so I got both scores.

1875/2400
1250/1600

Quiggs
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM
There's a big difference between 1050 and 1150, knucklehead.

my porsche
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
There's a big difference between 1050 and 1150, knucklehead.

There's also a big difference between 12 and 17 years old, cock holster.

IBrake4Rainbows
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
One of them is Legal?

my porsche
01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
How old are you?

Old enough.

Old enough for what?

...to party...

Rockefella
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I got somewhere around a 1900 I think. The English parts screwed me a little because I couldn't care less about studying for that crap. Believe I was in the 700's for math.

ruim20
01-28-2008, 04:39 AM

Did they pay you to take the test? :D:rolleyes:

NSXType-R
01-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Eh, I got an 1890. Not great, but hopefully enough to get me where I want to go.

I understand how you guys feel.

Do you guys in Europe have anything similar? Does every country have their own system or do you guys have a huge company that administers the whole thing?

IBrake4Rainbows
01-28-2008, 05:07 AM
Here in the ACT we have a UAI (university Admissions Index). a similar thing with different ratings systems. It's not so much an aptitude test as a general knowledge, problem solving and essay writing set up. Scores are benchmarked against people in your own school, then people in your region, then people in your state, the brightest person in the state gets a 100, and everyone else works from there.

I got a 79.75, so I was pretty happy with that, considering my course required a 70. :)

jcp123
01-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Same. 1330 on PSAT, 1350 on SAT. I'd say the PSAT was pretty darn accurate.

NSXType-R
01-28-2008, 10:10 AM
Here in the ACT we have a UAI (university Admissions Index). a similar thing with different ratings systems. It's not so much an aptitude test as a general knowledge, problem solving and essay writing set up. Scores are benchmarked against people in your own school, then people in your region, then people in your state, the brightest person in the state gets a 100, and everyone else works from there.

I got a 79.75, so I was pretty happy with that, considering my course required a 70. :)

That sounds much more fair than our system.

The Collegeboard- a monopoly that steals money from students all around. That's all it is.

You need to go through them to get to college (pay fees, etc). Unfortunately, this is what happens in a capitalistic society.

lith8872
01-28-2008, 11:13 AM
the closest we have in canada (well, ontario at least, not sure about the other provinces) is the Grade 10 literacy test, which is an absolute joke. it gets easier every year so that th e government can say they're doin a god job because more people are passing!

oh, and you never find out your score either, they just mark til they know you had passed then stop marking...in our PC world, it's their way of avoiding a kid being embarrassed cause (s)he got a lower test score...but if you did fail the literacy test you shouldn't have made it in school as far as you did lol

CdocZ
01-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Some of these statements are made in what is more or less ignorance I would expect from teenagers who couldn't understand why school is useful in the first place.

Ever take an IQ test? Sure it has faults too, but it is generally a pretty good standard. According to it, your ability to connect dots quickly and pronounce fake words is important to one's intelligence, and the psychologists who came up with it/revise it know what they are doing.

The SAT's actually have a pretty good correlation to/with IQ, which is impressive considering it is far shorter, and is at least related to a degree to academics.

I am not saying that the SAT is such an important test -- I am just saying some of you guys are looking at the SAT in way too basic a way, when something like IQ is much more "abstract" to the point it seems absolutely ridiculous. However, having read articles on this subject, and having talked to multiple doctors/psychologists about it too, they make a strong argument, and, as they are the ones who have been doing research on this stuff for the past several years of their lives, I think maybe they have something legit to say....

NSXType-R
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Some of these statements are made in what is more or less ignorance I would expect from teenagers who couldn't understand why school is useful in the first place.

Ever take an IQ test? Sure it has faults too, but it is generally a pretty good standard. According to it, your ability to connect dots quickly and pronounce fake words is important to one's intelligence, and the psychologists who came up with it/revise it know what they are doing.

The SAT's actually have a pretty good correlation to/with IQ, which is impressive considering it is far shorter, and is at least related to a degree to academics.

I am not saying that the SAT is such an important test -- I am just saying some of you guys are looking at the SAT in way too basic a way, when something like IQ is much more "abstract" to the point it seems absolutely ridiculous. However, having read articles on this subject, and having talked to multiple doctors/psychologists about it too, they make a strong argument, and, as they are the ones who have been doing research on this stuff for the past several years of their lives, I think maybe they have something legit to say....

Okay. So did you enjoy taking the SAT?

hightower99
01-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Here in denmark you just have to make sure you take the right levels in a few different classes during what I guess is equal to highschool.

they have from grade 0 (not kindergarden) to grade 9 (with an optional 10th grade) then it is on to a 3 year "highschool" that is normally one of 3 things either the generally well rounded STX (Studentereksamen/student exam) or the more economics/marketing based HHX (Højere Handelseksamen/higher trade exam) or finally the more science/maths based HTX (Højere Teknisk eksamen/higher technical exam)
The different classes work with a level system C-B-A with A being the advanced level and C being freshman level (sort of like 101 202 303)

and then grading is based on the new 7 level grade system where you can get -3, 00, 02, 4, 7, 10, 12. (yeah that says negative 3:eek:)

Then Universities will say that you need to have passed Math A level, Danish A level and English B level as a bare minimum with extra requirements for example to be accepted onto the Bachelor of Mechanics course at DTU you also need to have passed Physics B level and Chemistry C level... and you need 7s in all that (therefore an average above 7).

Of course your chances of getting on a course that has a limited number of places is better with a better average and if you have completed some of the required courses at a higher level...

It look like I am in with a shot with Math A, Danish A, English A, Physics A, Chemistry B, with 12 in Math and Physics and an average of 10.8 :cool:

Mind you that was on the last report card so I still have to take the end of year tests.

But when people ask me what I like best about the danish school system I say "I love that they have been paying me since my 18th birthday to continue school :) and that they will continue to pay me through Uni :D"

my porsche
02-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Oh shit.

1820. :(

Quiggs
02-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Noob.

my porsche
02-14-2008, 05:10 PM
I feel like I have the intellectual capacity of this lady.

http://www.bsnews.org/articles/images/1149047899_millionaire_idiot.jpg

Rockefella
02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I feel like I have the intellectual capacity of this lady.

http://www.bsnews.org/articles/images/1149047899_millionaire_idiot.jpg

Noob.

blingbling
02-19-2008, 01:19 PM
LOL! NOOB!!!!! :p