PDA

View Full Version : Volvo XC60 (1st gen) 2008-2017

Duell
02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
First pictures of the new XC60 - the safest and most stunning Volvo ever

Here are the first pictures of one of this year's most exciting new car models - the new Volvo XC60! "It's not only the safest Volvo ever. If you ask me, it's also the most stunning. Not a bad combination, is it?" says Volvo Cars President and CEO Fredrik Arp. The new XC60 has its premiere showing at the international car show in Geneva on March 4 and the first cars will reach dealers in Europe in autumn 2008.

Volvo Cars' new crossover steps boldly into what is the motoring world's toughest and fastest-growing segment, boasting an exciting mix of two car styles. Down below, the unmistakeable, capable XC muscles are pumped up, creating a strong athletic body mated with high ground clearance and large wheels. Up above, the flowing lines create the sporty charisma of a coupe.

"This car is charged with more emotive form and more energy than any other Volvo. We're elevating our design DNA to an entirely new level by literally turning up the visual volume. If you say that you'd recognise a Volvo from a hundred metres away today, I dare say the XC60 radiates a clear Volvo presence from at least twice that distance," says Volvo Cars Design Director Steve Mattin.

A variety of intelligent safety systems are another important part of the XC60 model's special character. The big news is City Safety - a unique feature that can help the driver avoid or reduce the effects of the type of low-speed impacts that are common in city traffic and traffic tailbacks. If the car is about to drive into the vehicle in front and the driver does not react, the car brakes itself.

"We are the first manufacturer in the world to offer this type of feature as standard. City Safety clearly advertises that the new XC60 is the safest car Volvo has ever produced. The car is packed with our accumulated safety know-how and technology, both when it comes to preventing accidents and protecting all the occupants in a collision," says Fredrik Arp.

The XC60 project has its sights set on a target group that imposes high demands on design, brand integrity and high-tech content in its choice of lifestyle products.

"One might say that this could be the C30 owner's next car. It's as sporty and exciting, but way more capable. With the XC60, we're widening our model range to attract even more customers with an active urban lifestyle," explains Fredrik Arp.

Equal volumes to Europe and North America

The new XC60 is being launched with a choice of three engines: the turbocharged T6 which produces 285 hp, and two variants of the D5 turbodiesel, producing 185 and 163 horsepower respectively. All Wheel Drive (AWD) is fitted as standard.

"During 2009, we will offer a front-wheel driven 2.4-litre version powered by a Euro 5 diesel engine producing 163 horsepower and with a CO2 rating of around 170 g/km," reveals Fredrik Arp.

The sales target for the new XC60 is over 50,000 cars per year. The five largest markets during peak year 2010 will be the USA, Germany, Great Britain, Russia and China.

The Volvo XC60 will be built at the Volvo Cars factory in Ghent, Belgium. Sales of the car will start in Europe during the second half of 2008, while sales in North America will get under way in early 2009.

Duell
02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Volvo XC60 #2

Duell
02-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Volvo XC60 #3

In the first post, that was the press release, and absolutely not my vision.
The only thing I want to say about this car is : no comment :mad:

Ferrer
02-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Let's say that the XC90 looks desirable next to it.

(On a side note, is Ford determined to ruin all the premium brands they own?)

Coventrysucks
02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
(On a side note, is Ford determined to ruin all the premium brands they own?)

How has Ford ruined Volvo?

How has Ford ruined Aston Martin, Jaguar or Land Rover?

Ferrer
02-20-2008, 04:18 PM
How has Ford ruined Volvo?
Well they were profitable. They are not anymore apparently.

Coventrysucks
02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

And that's Ford's fault, is it?

RenesisEvo
02-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Volvo joins the mass of manufacturers redefining what SUV means - Strange Urge to Vomit.

fisetdavid26
02-20-2008, 05:15 PM
Volvo joins the mass of manufacturers redefining what SUV means - Strange Urge to Vomit.
Amen to that.

dydzi
02-20-2008, 05:30 PM

they still are

btw seen XC60 concept last year at geneva. i liked it a lot. i think the production version didn't loose much, need to wait for this year's geneva show :)

my porsche
02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Nice Vulva.

Ferrer
02-21-2008, 03:29 AM
And that's Ford's fault, is it?
Erm... yes? They own Volvo, don't they? At least it's their managers fault

About the other brands I know someone would mention AM and LR but by then I had already hit the "post reply" button and couldn't be bothered to change it. :p

About Jag, well let's say the retro style hasn't been the best decision. For Ford it has been a serious money pit with (little) no return at all. Interesting that the cars that might actually save Jaguar (XK and XF) were done when Ford was selling (or about to) Jaguar.

they still are
Not according to this:

Ford trims third quarter losses, developing strategic plan for Volvo (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-trims-third-quarter-losses-developing-strategic-plan-for-volvo.html)

They lost more than $100 million in Q3.

faksta
02-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Not according to this:

Ford trims third quarter losses, developing strategic plan for Volvo (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-trims-third-quarter-losses-developing-strategic-plan-for-volvo.html)

They lost more than $100 million in Q3.

It's almost time to see the Q4 figures...

Sackalack GT
02-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Give me my old wagon anyday...:D

Coventrysucks
02-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Erm... yes? They own Volvo, don't they? At least it's their managers fault

I wasn't aware that Volvo was run by Ford managers.

I had sort of assumed that was what Volvo managers were for.

Must be nice work if you can get it - decent salary, elk benefits, midnight sun, you don't have to do any work and someone else gets the blame when it goes wrong.

Ferrer
02-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I wasn't aware that Volvo was run by Ford managers.

I had sort of assumed that was what Volvo managers were for.

Must be nice work if you can get it - decent salary, elk benefits, midnight sun, you don't have to do any work and someone else gets the blame when it goes wrong.
I meant that they are Ford-choosen managers. And after all for the most important decisions they do have to take into account Ford manager's opinion.

Kitdy
02-22-2008, 12:08 AM

I would say it is hard to lay blame to Ford entirely - to what degree Ford is responsible may be very hard to gauge.

Duell
12-03-2012, 01:37 PM
I might have grown a bit more accustomed to this shape.
But still in comparison to the XC90, this XC60 is a bit lame. :cool:

Volvo XC60 R-design 2012

Duell
02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
The new Volvo S60, V60 and XC60:

Major renewal boosts the dynamic appearance and appeal of the Volvo 60 cluster

New design focusing on quality and attention to detail
Fuel consumption down to a class-leading 4.0 l/100km and CO2 emissions of just 106 g/km in the Volvo S60
New, more comfortable sport seats
Sensus Connected Touch system with unique on-line possibilities
Permanent high beam with groundbreaking technology

"This is the most extensive development of existing models in our company's history. Each of the enhancements is designed around our customers' needs. We have focused on quality and attention to detail in order to give these dynamic models a major boost and sharpen their competitiveness," says Lex Kerssemakers, Senior Vice President, Product Strategy & Vehicle Line Management at Volvo Car Group. He continues: "The S60 and XC60 are our best-selling models in several important markets, and the innovative V60 Plug-in Hybrid has got off to a flying start. We have been listening very carefully to our customers in order to make improvements that ensure that we make these successful cars more attractive."

Emphasised attention to detail

Scandinavian design is exemplified by beautiful, simple shapes and surfaces with any unnecessary clutter removed.

This is evident in the redesigned interior and exterior of the new 60 cars.
.................................................. ...........................
.......and more of such press nonsense :rolleyes:

Duell
08-11-2013, 04:01 AM
Volvo XC60 #6

Duell
04-05-2017, 01:52 PM
The end of the production.

Duell
04-05-2017, 01:53 PM
Volvo XC60 #8