PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac G8 Sport Truck - In showrooms 2009

BMW325
03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
2010 Pontiac G8 Sport Truck: The El Camino Is Back! (http://jalopnik.com/366699/2010-pontiac-g8-sport-truck-the-el-camino-is-back)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2397/2333173216_aaa8b54697.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalopnik/2333173216/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2128/2333171934_dc361bfb9b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalopnik/2333171934/)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2385/2333174148_dbe5ba00fc.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jalopnik/2333174148/)

El Camino ! :D

PONTIAC INTRODUCES SEGMENT-BENDING G8 SPORT TRUCK

NEW YORK - The 2010 Pontiac G8 sport truck blurs the line between cars and trucks and is creating an all-new segment in the North American car market. This dramatically different vehicle blends the sporty handling of a performance coupe with the cargo capabilities of a light truck.

Based on the all-new Pontiac G8 performance sedan, the newest member of the G8 family has a longer wheelbase and a cargo bed suitable for either work or recreation. The G8 sport truck significantly stretches Pontiac's commitment to style and performance and is expected to arrive in dealers' showrooms in late 2009.
2010 Pontiac G8 Sport Truck: The El Camino Is Back! (http://jalopnik.com/366699/2010-pontiac-g8-sport-truck-the-el-camino-is-back)

The_Canuck
03-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Lol we get a ute

03-14-2008, 09:50 PM
cant wait, too bad the pontiac front end is so ugly compared to the holden and the vauxhall versions

2ndclasscitizen
03-15-2008, 12:43 AM
That front just looks like fail on the ute.

clutch-monkey
03-15-2008, 01:38 AM
for some reason it pulls that ridiculous front off a little better than the sedan

nota
03-15-2008, 03:30 AM
Could be a great unit for those with an open mind

Its a pity the previous-gen ute was denied importation at a realistic price, due to a silly US import tax (now repealed iirc)

SlickHolden
03-15-2008, 07:05 AM
Please why cant it be called a ute:p..

Seriously i was just down at holden getting some parts and decided to step into the show room and sit in the new SSV ute. Much improved interia space feels like a sedan until you look over your shoulder, I'd have one today.
2 years ago i sat in an VS SSZ ute, Cramped in and the back of the seat couldn't be adjusted no space behind, This seat was way off the rear plenty of space.

whiteballz
03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
They have killed it! thats seriously wrong..

2ndclasscitizen
03-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Wait, it's going to take them nearly 2 years to get it on the road? WTF?

fpv_gtho
03-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Please why cant it be called a ute:p..

Its probably a blessing in disguise. Some people, even here now, think a ute is anything with a cabin and tray/tub on the back. It used to just be the US who thought we simply subbed "truck" for "ute".

kingofthering
03-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Wait, it's going to take them nearly 2 years to get it on the road? WTF?

No, it's going to take them one year, since the model years tend to be one year ahead of the year.

nota
03-15-2008, 11:35 PM
No, it's going to take them one year, since the model years tend to be one year ahead of the year.
I've never understood why that is accepted in the US, including legally :confused:

Eg have seen a september 2005 vehicle been described as a 2007 model!

Zytek_Fan
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Shoulda left the Ute alone and badge it as Pontiac...

I don't think it's going to take off too well, especially with how the Chevrolet SSR was received...

Though it's good to see more Aussie cars coming to the US. HEAR ME FORD? :D

whiteballz
03-16-2008, 03:46 PM
This should sell nothing like the SSV, As they aren't really the same sort of thing from memory. This is actually capable of serious speed and weighty capacity..

Falcon500
03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Please why cant it be called a ute:p...

Same reason why they call minced meat ground beef thwey like to be diffrent (difficult ;) )

But seriously that car is aweful I know its good for our ecconmy but butchering the poor thing like that just isnt cool:(

fpv_gtho
03-16-2008, 09:09 PM
This is actually capable of serious speed and weighty capacity..

Its still full monocoque construction, with IRS and low profile tyres. Even the SS ute only has a 600kg payload.

Falcon500
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Its still full monocoque construction, with IRS and low profile tyres. Even the SS ute only has a 600kg payload.

Better then previous modes that only had 400kg payloads.....rember ute have a large pose value the hsv model will have a pitiful payload.

kingofthering
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
I've never understood why that is accepted in the US, including legally :confused:

I'm going to say that it's an accepted norm now (seeing as how it's been going on forever), but as for your example, I'm guessing that the owner doesn't know much about his/her car or is trying to bilk unsuspecting buyers.

Jona102190
03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Looks nice, but I wonder what's under the hood, and what the sticker price will be at.

clutch-monkey
03-17-2008, 12:07 AM
^ uh slightly cheaper than the sedan with the 6.0L L98 V8 in it

SlickHolden
03-17-2008, 01:18 AM
Its probably a blessing in disguise. Some people, even here now, think a ute is anything with a cabin and tray/tub on the back. It used to just be the US who thought we simply subbed "truck" for "ute".
Me made the ute:) We subbed nothing:p.

I call everything a ute also today even them monsters with 4 doors and 170mm ground clearance's:p. Except them F series monsters from Ford i dont know what to call them,

Shoulda left the Ute alone and badge it as Pontiac...

I don't think it's going to take off too well, especially with how the Chevrolet SSR was received...

Though it's good to see more Aussie cars coming to the US. HEAR ME FORD? :D
Of too differnt paths the SSR and SS ute.

Same reason why they call minced meat ground beef thwey like to be diffrent (difficult ;) )

But seriously that car is aweful I know its good for our ecconmy but butchering the poor thing like that just isnt cool:(
When does Differnt become weird:p.

It's got a better nose then the Monaro/GTO, But it seems very long in the grill, Maybe too long i think. The lower area should be larger higher, And give the grills a chop.

Still 600kg is some serious weight, Thats over 30 bags of cement ready mix, And anything past that is a huge job and you get a cement truck to bring it in.
You could still move the house with that, But you more then likely wouldn't might take 10 trips truck in 2.

fpv_gtho
03-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Dont forget though payload doesnt cover the passengers. Put 2 averaged sized people in and you lose 150kg instantly.

Me made the ute We subbed nothing.

I call everything a ute also today even them monsters with 4 doors and 170mm ground clearance's. Except them F series monsters from Ford i dont know what to call them,

I cringe every time i hear people talking about HiLux's, Rodeo's and the like as utes. It used to be that it was just the US who thought that we called everything a ute. Now its almost correct.

nota
03-17-2008, 04:05 AM
I'm going to say that it's an accepted norm now (seeing as how it's been going on forever), but as for your example, I'm guessing that the owner doesn't know much about his/her car or is trying to bilk unsuspecting buyers.
Your guess is welcome and thanks for your comment. It was in the automotive media and a manufacturer's description, essentially describing a vehicle then on sale in '05 as being a 2007 model. Fwiw in Oz if a person or company 'fudged' - or misrepresented to put it more blatantly - a vehicle's age, in other words its build-date, they could leave themselves open to criminal charges. Here you might conceivably see an old-stock vehicle being described eg as '2006 build, first registered in '08' but never an 2007 build car being termed an '09

baddabang
03-17-2008, 04:56 AM

Possibly the same reason you read Aprils issue of Car And Driver during March.

nota
03-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Possibly not, and for the same reason you don't see the current C&D being labeled as their September 2009 issue

IBrake4Rainbows
03-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Its just the thrill of the new. Doesn't make it right by any stretch of the imagination, but it's really only used by desperate manufacturers to describe cars that aren't really different from those which customers might have seen on the internet for a long time.

SlickHolden
03-17-2008, 07:53 AM
that's alright, Slap on a trailer and you got 2 tone carrying load.

But i still wouldnt say there all show no hard work, I'd leave that to the HSV:D I think they accepted it without fuss.

Dont forget though payload doesnt cover the passengers. Put 2 averaged sized people in and you lose 150kg instantly.

I cringe every time i hear people talking about HiLux's, Rodeo's and the like as utes. It used to be that it was just the US who thought that we called everything a ute. Now its almost correct.
there's nothing else to call them?.. SUV utes AUV ?:D.

roosterjuicer
03-17-2008, 09:34 AM
im really excited about this car but i wish they would just badge it a chevy and call it an el camino. i guess they dont wanna design a new front end or something.

nota
03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
just badge it a chevy and call it an el camino.
GM would be crazy to risk another GTO 'heritage' debacle from the badge purists

i guess they dont wanna design a new front end or something.
Chevrolet badged version is already in manufacture and exported

nota
03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
that's alright, Slap on a trailer and you got 2 tone carrying load.

But i still wouldnt say there all show no hard work, I'd leave that to the HSV:D I think they accepted it without fuss.
Recently seen a VE Maloo work ute in 'business white' ;) towing a rather large enclosed tandem trailer signwritten with 'Concrete Pumping Services'

cringe every time i hear people talking about HiLux's, Rodeo's and the like as utes. It used to be that it was just the US who thought that we called everything a ute. Now its almost correct.
Yep, me hate it too

Once upon a time we could insist that those chinese Holdens (the wun-tun) were trucklets and the one-piece utes were, well, utes .. until AU-on Falcons came along with and spoilt everything with their detachable tub. Even the parcel-tray distinction for utes is long gone :(

fpv_gtho
03-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Yep, me hate it too

Once upon a time we could insist that those chinese Holdens (the wun-tun) were trucklets and the one-piece utes were, well, utes .. until AU-on Falcons came along with and spoilt everything with their detachable tub. Even the parcel-tray distinction for utes is long gone :(

I just use the distinction if its car-based, it can be called a ute. Ground up desings are pickups as far as i'm concerned.

SlickHolden
03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Recently seen a VE Maloo work ute in 'business white' ;) towing a rather large enclosed tandem trailer signwritten with 'Concrete Pumping Services'

That's a shock, They must hold more then they say?.
Guess all of them do.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-18-2008, 10:57 PM
It's similar to the Purple HSV E-series Clubsport R8. Towing an Electrical Trailer.

That cut me up today.

Asshat.

2ndclasscitizen
03-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Seen that one around before, driving like a total tool. For example, pulling a burnout outside Trinity Bar in Tuggers. Hardly the sort of establishment that pulls in the burnout-lovers.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-19-2008, 12:05 AM
you'd think so.

I've seen him, on Drakeford drive (3 lanes) Cutting across 2 (Far left > Far right), hitting a Form one Lane, then cutting back over 2 lanes to get to Kambah.

total time saved.....2.4 seconds. I hope he was proud.

Falcon500
03-19-2008, 04:59 AM
you'd think so.

I've seen him, on Drakeford drive (3 lanes) Cutting across 2 (Far left > Far right), hitting a Form one Lane, then cutting back over 2 lanes to get to Kambah.

total time saved.....2.4 seconds. I hope he was proud.

H used to get his car serviced at commos and i got the impression he was a douche when he winged that we where charging him so much for rotors after such a short period....

And it shits me when people do that zoom around to pass 2 cars and if theres traffic lights theres a 50/50 chance all that effort was wasted.

IBrake4Rainbows
03-19-2008, 05:18 AM
I think I genuinely wagged my little finger.

He certainly drives like a tool.