PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac G8 GXP - 6.2L LS3 & 6MT

BMW325
03-14-2008, 09:53 PM
New York Auto Show: 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP Revealed, Gets Corvette LS3 Power And A Manual Transmission (http://jalopnik.com/367820/2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-revealed-gets-corvette-ls3-power-and-a-manual-transmission)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/2334164464_5b9a171c2f.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2152/2334164350_b8d4dba9b3.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2297/2333337635_5cbb6a82e5.jpg
PONTIAC ANNOUNCES THE 2009 G8 GXP
(http://jalopnik.com/367820/2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-revealed-gets-corvette-ls3-power-and-a-manual-transmission)
High-Performance Flagship Combines Progressive Design and Powerful Performance

NEW YORK - Today Pontiac announced the flagship of its GXP performance series, the G8 GXP high-performance sedan, at the New York Auto Show. This 2009 model will join the Solstice, G6 and Torrent GXP models in Pontiac dealerships in late 2008. The G8 GXP takes the G8's responsive driving experience, refined passenger environment and aggressive good looks to a new level. It also delivers an enjoyable driving experience, thanks to a 6.2L V-8 that produces in excess of 400 horsepower.

Manik
03-14-2008, 10:03 PM
You're gunna want to size that down to 800x600, maybe throw in a little more information as well.

BMW325
03-14-2008, 10:23 PM
You're gunna want to size that down to 800x600, maybe throw in a little more information as well.

thanks, I've been lurking for too long without posting :o

Manik
03-14-2008, 10:47 PM
thanks, I've been lurking for too long without posting :o

Thats fine, you were quick to fix it.

I saw just the plain G8 today for the first time in person. I like the looks of car, and it sure beats the grand am and grand prix that came before it...

2ndclasscitizen
03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Nice HSV. Shame about the nose.

clutch-monkey
03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
why does pontiac like that front end so much? why not just divide the existing grille..

Rockefella
03-15-2008, 03:08 AM
Holden is not the owner of GM. It's the other way around. Keep your thoughts about Holden and the Pontiac front clip to yourselves.

Thank you,
America.

SlickHolden
03-15-2008, 06:56 AM
Holden is not the owner of GM. It's the other way around. Keep your thoughts about Holden and the Pontiac front clip to yourselves.

Thank you,
America.
Might as well own them they cant build shit:p.

Yeah that front grill is way to low, What was wrong with the L97 engine? 270kw a couple of small mods and it's 300kw easy enough.

BarneyBoy
03-15-2008, 08:33 AM

Thank you,
America.

WTF!!???
I thought this was a FORUM?
If you're liable to get upset about another person's opinion, you're in the wrong place, buddy.
"Keep your thoughts about Holden and the Pontiac front clip to yourselves."?
Oh please! Land of the Free, eh?

Rockefella
03-15-2008, 11:08 AM
WTF!!???
If you're liable to get upset about another person's opinion, you're in the wrong place, buddy.

No, this is Sparta.

I was only kidding, kind of. I said it as a joke because every time the Australians see the G8 they brag about it's Commodore roots and how the Pontiac grille treatment looks terrible.

Now you can relax, hopefully.

Gt1Street
03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
WTF!!???

jeez, even I got that one. and im slow...

Kitdy
03-15-2008, 11:27 AM
WTF!!???

I think he was joking.

He is that type.

Rotary.freak
03-15-2008, 01:53 PM
WTF!!???

*shits self in fear* Ye... Yes sir!

Seriously though, talk about over reaction...

NSXType-R
03-15-2008, 02:36 PM
WTF!!???

Haha, don't take things too seriously.

Especially from the supporting members. :D

clutch-monkey
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
No, this is Sparta.

I was only kidding, kind of. I said it as a joke because every time the Australians see the G8 they brag about it's Commodore roots and how the Pontiac grille treatment looks terrible.

Americans wouldn't know a good product if it came and shat in their face :p :D

BarneyBoy
03-15-2008, 05:35 PM
No, this is Sparta.

Sorry if it appeared as an over reaction, but the lack of any sort of smiley makes it hard to tell what your tone is. I can only read the words...

Kiss & make up? :o

PS The G8's roots can be found in the taxi industry :D

nota
03-15-2008, 07:50 PM
PS The G8's roots can be found in the taxi industry :D
PPS that amounts to nothing more than a trite and false throwaway line there BarneyBoy. Many brands of car display their qualities as taxis and you can be sure that Holden is one of the least common marques in the industry. Commodore taxis are a rare sight even in Oz.

For example I bet there are vastly more Benz in use today as taxis than Holdens, a fact which by itself obliviates your attempted slur

BarneyBoy
03-16-2008, 03:19 AM
PPS that amounts to nothing more than a trite and false throwaway line there BarneyBoy. Many brands of car display their qualities as taxis and you can be sure that Holden is one of the least common marques in the industry. Commodore taxis are a rare sight even in Oz.

For example I bet there are vastly more Benz in use today as taxis than Holdens, a fact which by itself obliviates your attempted slur

Actually there's loads of Commodores (and Falcons) used as cabs here (don't know where you've been), way more than (invisible) Benz taxis in fact. Maybe you just aren't aware the V8 Super Cars are known as the Cab Races? Jeez, forget your bran this morning? :confused:

clutch-monkey
03-16-2008, 03:25 AM
i haven't seen a holden cab in ages. a few falcons and fairmonts though.

SlickHolden
03-16-2008, 03:56 AM
No, this is Sparta.
No, this is madness!.

No roots it's just a commdore:p.

You got to admit it that them pontiac fronts they come up with for these cars seem to be on the ugly side or long dropping side.
[/quote]

i haven't seen a holden cab in ages. a few falcons and fairmonts though.
When i go to the footy i see many Commodore SS's and Caprice's are Taxi's. Not my first choice as a Taxi lol But i guess they like to get there @ 260kp/h:D.

fpv_gtho
03-16-2008, 04:40 AM
Actually there's loads of Commodores (and Falcons) used as cabs here (don't know where you've been), way more than (invisible) Benz taxis in fact. Maybe you just aren't aware the V8 Super Cars are known as the Cab Races? Jeez, forget your bran this morning? :confused:

Falcon taxi's outweight Commodore taxi's about 50:1. However, Germany would be littered with "local" built 3 series and C class taxis. Germany > Australia.

What was wrong with the L97 engine? 270kw a couple of small mods and it's 300kw easy enough.

Its easier this way. Rather than producing an engine, dissasembling it, then finally reassembling it theyre building it from the spec they need it to begin with.

As for the car, the rims arent doing anything for me. The colour makes it look not too dissimilar to a VT SS Commodore, i didnt think Holden still had a colour like that on their colour palette. It'd look better in the orange most of the VE launch pictures were in. The nose i dont think looks all that bad really. Some of the extra hard edges remove some of the softness of the VE design that makes it look crap with those front wheel arches.

Rockefella
03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Americans wouldn't know a good product if it came and shat in their face :p :D

You're mostly right.

crisis
03-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Thank you,
America.

Well until GM can remember how to build decent rear wheel drive cars again Holden pwns GM. ;)

Ferrer
03-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Fine car, but where does that leave the Vauxhall VXR8?

(Again, they need to take this to continental Europe)

clutch-monkey
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
they need a decent diesel first

Ferrer
03-17-2008, 01:14 PM
they need a decent diesel first
True.

But why not the HSVs only as a sort of halo Opel OPCs or something?

whiteballz
03-17-2008, 03:18 PM
But why not the HSVs only as a sort of halo Opel OPCs or something?
That would be redundant - The VXR8 is the top of the line "sporty" model, Which I think this car is just the R8 with the kit deleted.

So This is just the yank version of the VXR8. thats gone through the building of ugly and the door knob hit its ass(and face) on the way out

Ferrer
03-17-2008, 04:19 PM
That would be redundant - The VXR8 is the top of the line "sporty" model, Which I think this car is just the R8 with the kit deleted.

So This is just the yank version of the VXR8. thats gone through the building of ugly and the door knob hit its ass(and face) on the way out
I know, but we don't have any of them.

So everyone is having fun except us... :(

fpv_gtho
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm surprised the LS3 isnt any more powerful than the LS2.

2ndclasscitizen
03-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Probably is, but they mightn't have worked out the final spec yet.

crisis
03-17-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm surprised the LS3 isnt any more powerful than the LS2.

If I remember correctly the LS1 was at various times 125kw, 135kw, 145kw, 165kw, 185kw and 300kw depending on tune/exhaust etc. I think.

clutch-monkey
03-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I know, but we don't have any of them.

So everyone is having fun except us... :(
how would they market it though? does GM europe have something in this category already?

If I remember correctly the LS1 was at various times 125kw, 135kw, 145kw, 165kw, 185kw and 300kw depending on tune/exhaust etc. I think.
Ls2 has always been 300kw though, i thought? and Ls3 is 330kw in the vette?

2ndclasscitizen
03-18-2008, 12:23 AM

I assume you mean 225, 235 etc etc. And yes, you're right, it was continually upgraded by Holden, but you have to remember that when we first got it here with the 225kw Holden's and 250kw HSV's, it was detuned as it was at about 260kw IIRC in the C5 Vette's.

Ferrer
03-18-2008, 01:03 AM
how would they market it though? does GM europe have something in this category already?
I guess that just like in the UK, as a sort of fun but cheap alternative to the established über saloons. They have pretty much the same lineup as continental Europe with a name change and the big Holden.

Currently the biggest, most powerful Opel on sale is the Vectra OPC, a front wheel drive hatch/estate with a 280bhp turbocharged V6 which is a segment below the Commodore.

fpv_gtho
03-18-2008, 04:10 AM
I assume you mean 225, 235 etc etc. And yes, you're right, it was continually upgraded by Holden, but you have to remember that when we first got it here with the 225kw Holden's and 250kw HSV's, it was detuned as it was at about 260kw IIRC in the C5 Vette's.

Yeah GM only ever had a version for the C5 Vette and Camaro/Firebird which was around 220/225kw, but the Corvette had the "base" engine by most reports. Every other version had been detuned, and the 260kw and 285kw versions Holden/HSV had were upgraded with cams, extractors etc IIRC. Thats why LS1 Edit was so popular, as in effect it was just undoing everything Holden had done to choke the engine.

crisis
03-18-2008, 04:28 PM

Um yeah :o