PDA

View Full Version : new car first car

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-02-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm 16 and our family is going to purchase a new car. We're selling our piece of junk 98 mystique soon and i doubt itll rake in more than 7000 canadian
Since I'm going to be the one driving it most of the time I get to pic which car (within our price range) and i also get to pay for most of it yay.
The budget for the entire car cant be over 25 thousand canadian while i'm probably going to pay 10+ grand
I'm looking at the Mazda 3 GS Sedan with manual transmission, power package and the sport package which totals to about 24,253.50 (50 cents wtf would they put that in).

If anyone has a better idea please submit, we're planning on getting this real soon so any help would be appriciated, donations wouldnt hurt either :D.

GT500
05-02-2004, 09:04 PM
heh, good choice on the Mazda3, excellent car, great value.
So what exactly are you getting with these packages and stuff? I'm sure you're getting a lotta car for the dollar, but what exactly is there that you're getting? :)
Sorry, wish I coudl donate, but I'm a little poor myself! ;)

Spastik_Roach
05-02-2004, 10:36 PM
One car I suggest instead maybe the Toyota Matrix? It looks pretty cool, fits inside your budget pretty well, and its from Toyota, which means total reliability.

Or you could go for a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, but I don't know if that fits in your budget.

http://www.autoreview.ru/new_site/year2001/n01/detroit/Toyota%20Matrix_a.jpg

drakkie
05-02-2004, 11:29 PM
How about this car?Its a citroen xsara, i dunno if they sell it in canada, but my dad has one and it is a nice car. Drives ok, interior is a ok, and it has lots of stuff on it like airco etc. If they sell it , i guess it would fit in your budget.

Oh, and on the pics is the wrc version, you gotta lose the spoilers, and stickering and then you have the road car

whiteballz
05-02-2004, 11:50 PM
mazda 3, good choice, and the matrix looks like its a good deal, bigish and cool looking. not to mention its toyota.

Spastik_Roach
05-03-2004, 01:59 AM
You could have a Honda Element!

Yeah Right.

Spastik_Roach
05-03-2004, 02:07 AM
You could even have a Mini Cooper! A Mini Cooper S even if you were willing to go slighty over budget!!!

junaman
05-03-2004, 02:39 AM
I think the Mazda3 is a good choice. It's selling well here in Melbourne and the reviews are all good. I haven't seen the Toyota Matrix in Australia but it looks pretty good in the pic too.

Spastik_Roach
05-04-2004, 12:32 AM
You could even have a Nissan Altima! Thats a nice big, comfortable sdean!

IBrake4Rainbows
05-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Matrix is a no, i wouldn't do it, it's a celica engine going to waste in a Monobox, plus their really poorly matched, you need to rev the guts out of the engine to get anywhere. According to R&T at least.

As for the Mazda3, sedan or hatch? I'd go sedan, it looks better.

Matra et Alpine
05-04-2004, 02:05 AM
you need to rev the guts out of the engine to get anywhere. According to R&T at least.
Don't worry about revving the engine, they're made to be so :)
Might not be the sound you like (sic) but it delivers the power you want and you get to play with the gearbox more :)
You don't lose warranty just because you rev it like it was made to do......

Ferrari Tifosi
05-04-2004, 02:10 AM
I have a good friend that is a mechanic at a Mazda dealership and he said the Mazda 3's look horrible after relavtively not bad crashes, this may defer you. But hey he could quite possibly be wrong. Other wise the Mazda 3 is a great looking and performing car in my opinion.

Spastik_Roach
05-04-2004, 02:27 AM
Most cars do, bear in mind :D :D

Matra et Alpine
05-04-2004, 02:44 AM
I have a good friend that is a mechanic at a Mazda dealership and he said the Mazda 3's look horrible after relavtively not bad crashes, this may defer you.
most modern cars are designed to deform to absorb impact and avoid hurting passengers.
So in 40-50mph accidents a compact Euro/Jap car will look like a "pound of mince" and an American Sedan might have w wee bump on the fender.
It's for your safety, but you may baulk at having to right a car off after a lowish speed accident. Not all 40mph accidents will do it mind, but some can :(

fpv_gtho
05-04-2004, 03:52 AM
One car I suggest instead maybe the Toyota Matrix? It looks pretty cool, fits inside your budget pretty well, and its from Toyota, which means total reliability.

Or you could go for a Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, but I don't know if that fits in your budget.

[IMG]

mmmm, the Pontiac Aztek's better half

IBrake4Rainbows
05-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Don't you mean Pontiac Vibe???

The Aztek and Rendezvous i thought were twins.

The Vibe is a rebodied Matrix sold as a Toyota Voltz in Japan, or at least was.

fpv_gtho
05-04-2004, 04:30 AM
you know i think your right there........im not very good with the names of cars for the american market

IBrake4Rainbows
05-04-2004, 04:40 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, my knowledge of obscure and unworthy cars Should be legendary. :p

fpv_gtho
05-04-2004, 04:49 AM
either way, theyre all cars that styling wise are doing GM no favours

IBrake4Rainbows
05-04-2004, 04:54 AM
Or toyota for that matter..........

burnt-rice
05-06-2004, 10:10 PM
This car is only about $14K (kit car, so about $20K with builder). Looks amazing, has nice manual transmission, and. . .(the best two parts). . . a 430 hp engine and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Plus, the manufacturer is located in Boston.

sandwich
05-07-2004, 08:18 AM
This car is only about $14K (kit car, so about $20K with builder). Looks amazing, has nice manual transmission, and. . .(the best two parts). . . a 430 hp engine and 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. Plus, the manufacturer is located in Boston.

now how the hell are you going to carry groceries in that? Hmmm? HMMMMMMMMM? I think the car has to suit he and his family, as well. In addition, buildup of such a car will easily cost 40k after it's all through. It's easy to dream, but they leave so much out of the equation.

I vote Mazda Six, with a sixbox. 250 HP and fantastic styling...but econoworthy at the same time. No idea on price.

mechanixfetch
05-07-2004, 09:48 AM
You could get a new Impreza TS wagon or a 2002ish WRX for the 24k mark. :)

KnifeEdge_2K1
05-07-2004, 06:29 PM
now how the hell are you going to carry groceries in that? Hmmm? HMMMMMMMMM? I think the car has to suit he and his family, as well. In addition, buildup of such a car will easily cost 40k after it's all through. It's easy to dream, but they leave so much out of the equation.

I vote Mazda Six, with a sixbox. 250 HP and fantastic styling...but econoworthy at the same time. No idea on price.

when did i suddenly get a family? didnt i say i was only 16?

well matrix sounds like a good deal but i cant help but think the rear window is too small to see out of, plus it feels too ... SUVy if u know what i mean, always afraid itll roll over

well in canada they dont offer the i, s, and s wagon styles
its gt gs and gx
im hoping to get the gs with the power pack and sports package which contain power windows mirrors cruise control, and 16 inch alloy/tires with power moonroof respectively

the gs comes with the 2L dohc I4 which is good enough since the extra 20 somethign horsepower from the v6 to me isnt worth the extra money

ps if anyone wants to gimme 50 grand USD so i can get a Lancer Evolution MR or S2000 id really appreciate it :D