PDA

View Full Version : austrailia question

roosterjuicer
03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
i know austrailia was settled by europeans primarily as a "prison" but i was just randomly wondering something and thought I'd ask some of the aussi's on here.

how was australia originally settled? how did humans first get there?

for example, America was originally settled by humans crossing the land bridge during one of the ice ages. but how did humans get on australia before the british? it interests me that australia has several species that arent found anywhere else in the world yet somehow humans were there. anyone know?

Jack_Bauer
03-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Where?! :p

roosterjuicer
03-19-2008, 09:50 AM
haha crap i spelled australia didn't I.

Jack_Bauer
03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
Want me to edit the title for you?

Turbo.Jenkens
03-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Aboriginal people got there by boat about 50,000 years ago. During the ice age the oceans were much shallower, many Islands were connected and they only had to cross 50 miles of open ocean.

Turbo.Jenkens
03-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Actually the Bering strait theory concerning the population of the Americas has been abandoned by many scientest. It seems Alaska and northwest Canada were blocked by glaciers until 13,000 BC. Yet we have found 40,000 year old human remains in Virginia and Mexico.

roosterjuicer
03-19-2008, 10:22 AM
interesting stuff

Turbo.Jenkens
03-19-2008, 10:27 AM
I am getting paid to go watch a matinée of 10,000 BC in a couple of hours :p :D

aiasib
03-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Camille Belle FTW

nota
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
but how did humans get on australia before the british? it interests me that australia has several species that arent found anywhere else in the world yet somehow humans were there. anyone know?
A band of Dutch were documented as landing (shipwrecked) before the Brits but never raised a flag and descended into murder

Some claim the Portuguese preceded the cheeseheads with tales of already-ancient ruins belonging to the mysterious 'Mahogany Ship' being periodically exposed in Victorian coastal dunes during the early days of european settlement

Conjecture rages as to whether Aborigines were the first human arrivals, or if they came here after a different race of people known as 'the Ancients' who may have depicted themselves in distinct form, in what is recognised as our world's oldest rock art

Predating all of the above is fossil evidence of Australia's now extinct Mega Fauna, which probably died out due to 'human interaction' from our first inhabitants, who must have done it pretty tough in the early days let me say

This mega fauna include (truly) giant kangaroos and wombats the size of Kombi vans. There were marsupial lions that, pound for pound, had the strongest bite of any mammal species living or extinct, a lizard that was seven metres long and weighed 2 tons, and don't forget Australia's 'Demon Duck of Doom' which could be 2.5 metres tall and weighed 250 kilograms ... and was probably carnivorous :eek:

2ndclasscitizen
03-19-2008, 11:46 AM
but how did humans get on australia before the british? it interests me that australia has several species that arent found anywhere else in the world yet somehow humans were there. anyone know?

Pretty much just walked down about 40,000-odd years ago.

History of Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Australia)

whiteballz
03-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Here I was expecting a question as to how dangerous australia is due to our fauna..

Blue Supra
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
Australia > Rest of World.

Zytek_Fan
03-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Here I was expecting a question as to how dangerous australia is due to our fauna..

Such as those giant spiders that frequent Sydney? :eek:

2ndclasscitizen
03-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Such as those giant spiders that frequent Sydney? :eek:

You mean Funnel Web Spiders? They're pretty nasty (most deadly spider in the world IIRC), but nothing compared to the drop bears.

Cotterik
03-19-2008, 07:52 PM
australia was invented by the british in what was originally planned to be a real-life full-scale battle royale. Unforunately a vast number of them started to realise that they were no longer under close control and started to build their own villages like good little rabbits. However some still remain way out in the country who still think they're on the island to kill and eat any passers by. or 'tourists'.

:p

in all seriousness, i haven't got a clue how the aboriginees first ended up there. my guess is that they were either 1. already in asia when australia broke off into its own island or 2. if that was way before humans were even on earth which it probably was, then early humans probably ended up there by walking over an ice plane without knowing they were on another continent and settled up there.

SlickHolden
03-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Antarctica was part of Australia i herd?, So you might see many walking the distance across?. Couple of tribes hanging around then one day the earth moves and shit we are stuck here or something like that:D.

I bet the Brits regret making Australia now:p no one embarrasses them more:p. We even give them neighbours and they love it!, Enough said:eek:.

2ndclasscitizen
03-19-2008, 08:44 PM
in all seriousness, i haven't got a clue how the aboriginees first ended up there. my guess is that they were either 1. already in asia when australia broke off into its own island

Australia broke separate a shitload before the Aborigines arrived. Australia was isolated by a rise in the sea level flooding the Timor Sea.

acfsambo
03-19-2008, 09:04 PM
The aboriginies walked down from asia when the sea was low. Some stopped were the torres strait island are and others kept going, right down to Tasmania. Aboriginies can be traced back to northern africa and the middle east as there were bomerangs found on the floor of some of the Egypttian tombs. The theory is they migrated from North eastern africa, accross the middle east, into asia and down to australia.

roosterjuicer
03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
already in asia when australia broke off into its own island or 2. if that was way before humans were even on earth which it probably was,

yeah it was definately waaay before humans were on earth.