PDA

View Full Version : Law Question

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Alright I need help about a law question

I was caught with a crime and the police questioned me and the place gave me a choice to either pay the fine or they will press charges. I didn't go to court cause I paid the fine, and that was it. My question is will it appear on my permanent/criminal record?

Sledgehammer
03-24-2008, 05:16 PM
That is dependent on the crime in question. The crime will dictate not only if it goes on your permenent record but also how long it will stay their. First things first, are you over 18? Was the citation a simple forforiture?

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:18 PM
yep, theft of service was what the police called it

Sledgehammer
03-24-2008, 05:23 PM
How valuable was the item / service you "allegedly" stole?

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:27 PM
it was parking. I didn't know that my pass expired cause there was no expiration on it and i parked there for a few months past it and they caught me. Place fined me 250 for that!

Sledgehammer
03-24-2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, were you parked their for an extended period of time without moving your vehicle? I very much doubt this will go on your permanent record because its not a moving violation or misdemeanor. $250 is pretty outrageous though and you could probably get it reduced if you took it to court. I suggest at least calling the local county DA and complaining or possibly meet them. Hope this helps.

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
it was an underground parking and i guess it was 5 bucks to park there everyday and i check in/out and every time i did i was charged with 5 dollars so it added up to about 400+ and I talked them down to 250. I was very reluctant on taking it to court cause I absolutely didn't want any info reguarding this on my record whatsoever. So I just paid that one place so they wouldn't press charges

Yea it helps a lot, thanks

baddabang
03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Wtf did you bribe him?

Parking tickets don't go on your driving record unless you don't pay them. Trust me I get a parking ticket at least once a month. Campus rent-a-cops ftl.

pimento
03-24-2008, 05:46 PM
If it's a private parking facility and you paid them, it sounds like they've notified the police to hold something over you but not pressed charges, so there shouldn't be anything bad on a record anywhere. If it didn't go to court, you shouldbe fine.

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:49 PM
This wasn't campus cops, but city police otherwise I probably wouldn't care cause i got parking tickets in the past too. Because I was questioned by the city police it is a different story

brandisher
03-24-2008, 05:50 PM
If it's a private parking facility and you paid them, it sounds like they've notified the police to hold something over you but not pressed charges, so there shouldn't be anything bad on a record anywhere. If it didn't go to court, you shouldbe fine.

That's what everyone is saying, but can't hurt to make sure, ya know

Sledgehammer
03-24-2008, 05:57 PM
You dont have anything to worry about, and this is coming from someone with law experience. The 400 down to 250 actually is quite reasonable. The way you phrased it made it sound like their had been a citation issued for only a forfeiture. Sorry about your troubles.

nopassn
03-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Did you pay the money to the place that had the "theft of services" ? or did you pay an actual citation. If you paid a citation, it will be on your record for up to 3 years (parking/traffic violation) - If you paid the money to the place that was "stolen" from, with no citation issued and no charges filed it will only be on your record here at UCP.

brandisher
03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't believe there was a citation given cause i paid the "business"

drakkie
03-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Whatever happens, don't get a criminal record. I have one unfortunately(organised theft) and it does more bad than you imagine. School almost didnt accept me, I cant start my own business for ten years and I can more or less forget any job(declaration of good behaviour needed almost always in my profession) or internship. Don't get screwed as bad as me. Sounds like you got away lucky there.

Wouter Melissen
03-25-2008, 01:13 AM
Whatever happens, don't get a criminal record. I have one unfortunately(organised theft) and it does more bad than you imagine. School almost didnt accept me, I cant start my own business for ten years and I can more or less forget any job(declaration of good behaviour needed almost always in my profession) or internship. Don't get screwed as bad as me. Sounds like you got away lucky there.

Why do you take so much pride in your own stupidity? Lucky? Are you trying to convince us all your misbehaving is down to bad luck?

brandisher
03-25-2008, 01:56 PM

That's why I'm asking this question because I just got an internship at a very prestigious place (I don't want to mention). I really don't want to mess this up because of something stupid that i've done.

kingofthering
03-25-2008, 03:29 PM

Why must you always emphasize this?

It's not like he shot someone in the face, he only forgot to move his car.