View Full Version : Opel-Vauxhall Insignia 2008-2016

Duell
04-18-2008, 10:32 AM
2008-04-18

Opel Insignia: A New Design Language For A New Era

Sculpted design with a flowing coupé silhouette
Four-wheel drive, active chassis and seven engines available at launch
World premiere July 2008 at the London Motor Show

Rüsselsheim. A new name, a new car, a new ambition. With its groundbreaking design and sophisticated technology, the Insignia makes a quantum leap toward rejuvenating the brand and providing the perfect opportunity to discover Opel. The styling of the new 4.83 meter five-seater clearly expresses Opel’s strategy to make advanced technology and attractive design affordable.

The Insignia boasts a flowing, powerful silhouette with a coupé-like roofline. The body’s sculpted shape is accented by a distinctive radiator grille with a newly-designed Opel emblem. Unmistakable design elements include a sweeping front and rear light “wing” signature and a “blade” side contour that begins directly behind the front wheel and glides through the entire side of the body. Both details give the Insignia’s a muscular but graceful allure.

“With Insignia we are introducing an exciting new sophisticated design vocabulary, which combines sculptural artistry with German precision,” says Mark Adams, Vice President Design, GM Europe. “Our aim was to develop a confident look which compels the world to experience for themselves the superb driving dynamics the Insignia radiates.”

Echoing the exterior, the interior shapes and surfaces, which articulate this promise for exciting mobility, are crafted with high quality materials. The dashboard wraps around from the instrument panel to the door in a very sophisticated way, embracing the occupants. This wing theme will be echoed across all Opels. Red ambient lighting, which also will be featured in future Opel models, vibrate a warm, luxurious aura. A lot of emphasis too has been put into the seating, which set the highest standards in ergonomics, comfort and safety.

Opel’s pioneering role and unique expertise in lighting technology continues in the Insignia with the latest generation AFL Adaptive Forward Lighting system: Nine different light beam settings automatically adjust themselves to cater to various driving conditions, simultaneously enhancing safety and driving excitement. Another new element on the AFL system is the LED daytime running lights, which consume considerably less energy than a conventional system featuring halogen lamps, thereby lowering CO2 emissions from 6 g/km to nearly zero.

“As each feature demonstrates, the Insignia is the result of our quest to develop a car that combines striking design, excellent driving dynamics and innovative technology” says Hans H. Demant, Managing Director, Adam Opel GmbH.

The Insignia is offered from the start with front-wheel and all-wheel drive. The “Adaptive 4X4” system’s proactive, instantaneous torque distribution not only ensures optimal traction but also enhances driving stability and dynamic handling performance. In the all-wheel drive Insignia, the FlexRide mechatronic chassis system with its Adaptive Stability Technology helps the car adjust to prevailing driving conditions and allows the driver to select settings to match his mood. FlexRide is also available in the front-wheel version.

The Insignia will launch with an exceptionally broad range of seven engines. All meet Euro 5 emissions standards and come with either manual or automatic six-speed transmissions. The four gasoline engines range from a four-cylinder 115 hp unit to a V6 with 260 hp. The three new direct-injection diesels feature a displacement of 2.0 liter and outputs spanning from 110 to 160 hp. Subsequently the Insignia engine line-up will be expanded with an EcoFLEX version offering very low CO2 emissions in addition to other, more powerful variants.

“The Opel Insignia sets new standards in technology and innovation -- this will be obvious right from the launch. But we are keeping several cards up our sleeves when it comes to environmental compatibility, excitement and safety, which we will play strategically overtime” says Alain Visser, Chief Marketing Officer, GM Europe.

The Insignia notch- and hatchback will debut July 22, 2008 at the London Motor Show and hit showrooms starting in November. The Insignia was developed at GM Europe’s International Technical Development Center in Rüsselsheim, Germany, which also is home to its production. The Rüsselsheim facility is one of the most advanced car plants in the industry.

ZeTurbo
04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
wow.... that is surprisingly cool!

Street_Dreamer
04-18-2008, 11:58 AM
I think it looks very very nice. Might not be the most original, but it's un-offensive and in my eyes a very good looking car. Like a cross between a C5 and Mazda 6, no bad thing, i think they're two great looking cars.

LeonOfTheDead
04-18-2008, 12:12 PM
there's something wrong in the tail, like in the preceding model, imo. it remember me of the alpina b6, which i like, but it doesn't fit the front properly. even the rib on the side seems like it wasn't supposed to be there...i could like the front btw.

faksta
04-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Yep, I don't quite like it, too. I think it's heavy looking and maybe even depressing. And that rear end which seems to be so narrow...

04-18-2008, 08:12 PM
i prefer the edgier style of the astra
it looks too much like camry/mondeo/hyundai mix

Gt1Street
06-22-2008, 01:17 PM
Opel Insignia: Design of Opel's Future

Fluid lines with crisp execution
New signal for direction of future Opel Cars

Rüsselsheim. The design of the Insignia takes Opel to a new level, showcasing the brand’s new confidence with a bold, dynamic and sophisticated car. Understanding the concepts and cues that went into the creation of Insignia is vital to appreciating the driving experience.

The Insignia’s look signals a new direction for the brand and shows the new design elements that will be seen in future models. It also highlights the benefits of GM Europe’s expanded design center, which opened two years ago and offers the latest technologies in design and engineering.

GM Europe designers spent years, painstakingly refining the surfaces, carving the crisp intersecting lines and colors; testing the textures, feeling the materials and ensuring all the surface finishes were of the highest quality. The result: Sculptural artistry meets German precision.

“With the Insignia, we have redefined our design vocabulary,” says Mark Adams, Vice President of Design for GM Europe. “The Insignia is athletic and powerful, yet very elegant. It has movement; surfaces flow harmoniously, with crisp intersecting lines that define the dynamic form, so that you never tire of looking at it. Our aim was to develop a confident look which reinforced the car’s superb driving dynamics but also one that made it clear that this was a beautiful vehicle with premium appeal.”

Insignia: Flowing graceful lines inside and out

“This is a paradigm shift for Opel,” says John Puskar, Director Interior Design at GM Europe. “We wanted to create interior environments for all our future vehicles that are warm, inviting and sporty. The Insignia is the first evidence of this new philosophy.”

The overall goal for the design team was to create a simply beautiful car that would herald the next generation for Opel. The exterior’s hallmark is its flowing graceful silhouette. The body’s sculpted shape is accented by sweeping front and rear light designs and enhanced by a bold radiator grille. A distinctive “blade” feature runs through the body side from behind the front wheel, further emphasizing its taut and rakish lines.

“There are elements of crispness and structure that give the Insignia the feeling of German precision. The sculpted surfaces were then added to this framework to give it movement and make it look fluid and flowing,” says Malcolm Ward, exterior Chief Designer.

Interior design in sync with exterior cues

The same design cues are expressed inside the car as well. On opening the doors, the first impression is of the bold wrap around interior. This is dominated by the signature “wing” theme that flows from the front of the instrument panel and dives into the door panels in a downward dynamic curve. The bold surfaces from the exteriors “blade” feature are echoed in the shape of the interior door grab handle, where the bright accent material sweeps dramatically into the door armrest. This sweeping accent is repeated in chrome shapes on the steering wheel and at the front of the center console. All of the materials work together, to create a harmonious, classy feel to the interior. The overall interior has taken a light, spacious approach that is both sporty and welcoming.

The car’s lighting both inside and out, is giving Opel a more unique night time appearance. Outside, a distinctive illuminated “wing” design on the front and rear light clusters gives the Insignia a unique signature. Inside, designers have added a warm orangish-red ambient light to enhance the overall atmosphere for night driving. Instrument cluster is illuminated white, but on depressing the “Sport” button, this lighting turns red to match the surrounding illumination.

“Flowing graceful lines give such a strong sense of movement to the interior,” Puskar says.

Puskar organizes his interior design group into four specific teams, each focusing on one area of expertise; Interior design, component design, color and trim and design appearance quality. Each of these teams work closely with one another, ensuring that all the elements come together to form a perfectly resolved interior.

On the Insignia, all of the colors and materials have been developed to enhance the premium feel of the interior environment. The sport model uses a high gloss black piano lacquer, to strongly contrast the overall soft feel black grained environment. At the other end of the spectrum, there is a warm environment which enters new territory with a polished Kiba Wood trim, complementing warm brown and light neutral upholstery.

“We’ve made a radical change in the look, feel and approach to the Insignia’s colors and trims,” says Peter Jaksch, chief designer of Colors and Trim for GM Europe.

Many themes started in this Interior provide the DNA for future Opel designs. Variations on sculptural artistry – the wing, flowing sculptural forms and a sporty dynamic environment -- will be used moving forward, as Opel refines and builds the vocabulary of its new design language. At the same time, Opel’s roots will be expressed with the execution of German precision in all its vehicles. Still, the cars will not be clones of each other. Each car will have its own distinctive personality. Opel aims to be consistent with its design execution but not prescriptive or predictable.

European design center to sculpt future mid-sized cars

GM Europe’s Design Center, one of 11 in the company’s network, houses GM Europe’s exterior, interior and advance design teams, all of which are able to connect with the company’s top engineers to maximize synergies. With GM Europe’s Engineering and Opel’s plant only a few steps away, designers and engineers also keep in close contact with manufacturing to ensure quality is maintained throughout the whole vehicle development.

The European design center provides designers with the location, atmosphere and tools they need to maximize the creative process and create exciting designs for the future. Nearly 350 people work in the growing design function in Rüsselsheim, creating the new products from Saab, Opel, Vauxhall and some future Saturns.

The Insignia is the first car within GM to be developed globally, where the creative process that linked interior and exterior designers from Rüsselsheim to the rest of the world. “The focus was very much on designing a beautiful Opel/Vauxhall that would head the portfolio” Adams said. Technically, the car had to be created to allow for regional tastes and safety requirements.

The new facility utilizes the highest technology, with a state of the art virtual reality center, with its massive screens that allows designers to “build” and test designs and examine them in various environments. Computer programs allow designers to explore a not-yet built interior and exterior with a 360° view from any level and any perspective.

Gt1Street
06-22-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm really liking this opel, It's reminding me of how I used to look at the Omega or the Vectra with awe of its awesome shape and grandness. It not the same design motiff obviously but I definatly like its new form, Not to mention all the neat options this model offers !

#1 Mustang Fan
07-07-2008, 01:32 AM
If a mod could shift this into the hide-out.

Opel Insignia Hatchback

Opel will showcase to the public for the first time at the British International Motor Show (July 23 - August 3, 2008) both the four-door notchback and five-door hatchback versions of its new flagship car, the Insignia.

The new Opel Insignia highlights breathtaking design: Both body styles boast a flowing, muscular yet elegant silhouette with a coupé roofline. Designers of the new car deliberately created similar versions to retain the beauty of Opel's latest mid-sized car. The length of both the notch and hatchback, at 4,830 mm, and the wheelbase of 2,737 mm remain the same.

The Insignia's fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and driving dynamics benefit from the aerodynamic efficiency that was perfected during more than 650 hours in the wind tunnel. The result: A class-leading drag coefficient of 0.27.

Offering both the notchback and hatchback from the start is particularly important for markets such as the U.K. and France, where 5-door sedans traditionally enjoy a high market share of the mid-size class segment. German and Spanish customers, on the other hand, generally prefer notchback sedans. Prices for the U.K., Ireland, Germany, Austria and Switzerland will be announced July 22 in London and cars will hit German dealerships before the end of the year. Opel expects both models to sell in about equal numbers.

From the beginning, the Insignia will be launched with a broad line-up of motors. Seven engines will be available; all meet Euro 5 emissions standards and come coupled with six-speed transmissions. The four gasoline engines range from a four-cylinder 115 hp unit to a V6 with 260 hp. Three new direct-injection turbo-diesels exclusively developed for the Insignia feature a displacement of 2.0 liters and power outputs spanning from 110 to 160 hp.

The newly developed chassis can be enhanced with the innovative, integrated FlexRide mechatronic system, as well as the sophisticated Adaptive 4x4. Its lightning-fast distribution of torque over the four wheels ensures top stability and traction while improving dynamic handling performance.

Opel Insignia Hatchback (2009) #1

faksta
07-07-2008, 01:37 AM
I don't know... I feel like I like Signum more.

Gt1Street
07-07-2008, 01:49 AM
you sure its called the hatchback ? cause if it is then my concept of hatchback is seriously screwed

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 02:10 AM
you sure its called the hatchback ? cause if it is then my concept of hatchback is seriously screwed

me too, and I had some hard moments looking at both the versions in the same time:D

Ferrer
07-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Well the last Citroen C5 was technically a hatchback.

Gt1Street
07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

what defines a hatchback in your oppinions ? and spare me the wiki quotes :cool:

Kitdy
07-07-2008, 08:42 AM

This does not look like a hatchback at all to me. Is it a liftback?

I thought it was a wagon...

Ferrer
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I thought it was a wagon...
The saloon-like C5 was a hatcback.

Kooper
07-07-2008, 08:52 AM
what defines a hatchback in your oppinions ? and spare me the wiki quotes :cool:

Not my place to answer, but I'd say anything with a boot that gives direct access to the passenger area when opened. Not completely correct since that would technically make station wagons and MPVs hatchbacks as well, but anyway.

LeonOfTheDead
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM

probably the simply fact that you can exit your car by the boot...:D
this, and the new C5, are sedans in my book, period.

Ferrer
07-07-2008, 12:06 PM
probably the simply fact that you can exit your car by the boot...:D
this, and the new C5, are sedans in my book, period.
No, this is a hatchback. Like the Renault Laguna.
The saloon is the car in front of the hatchback in the fourth pic.

faksta
07-07-2008, 12:13 PM

If you haven't said this, I wouldn't notice those couple millimeters which differ the two cars on the fourth picture (though, maybe there isn't any and it's just my 'installation' on their difference? :confused: ). What was the purpose of building this car in two almost identic bodies, but calling them in a different way?

Ferrer
07-07-2008, 12:32 PM
If you haven't said this, I wouldn't notice those couple millimeters which differ the two cars on the fourth picture (though, maybe there isn't any and it's just my 'installation' on their difference? :confused: ). What was the purpose of building this car in two almost identic bodies, but calling them in a different way?
For the final proof look at the rear windscreen wiper on the hatchback. You couldn't open the boot without the glass. Furthermore the saloon has no rear windscreen wiper whatsoever.

faksta
07-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Yes, indeed.You're right. But still I can't understand why couldn't they make them look more different. :)

#1 Mustang Fan
07-07-2008, 02:27 PM
It is a hatchback. Took some time to register what differences there are.

Seems like they just wanted to fill the gap with minimal changes.

07-07-2008, 05:13 PM
isn't because taxis have to be hatchbacks?
that's the reasoning for the skoda octavia anyways, not sure for which country though

Kitdy
07-07-2008, 06:37 PM

I've heard it referred to as a wagon. What differs a wagon form a hatchback anyways?

What about my idea that this is a liftback? Is it a liftback hatchback?

#1 Mustang Fan
07-07-2008, 08:34 PM
I've heard it referred to as a wagon. What differs a wagon form a hatchback anyways?

What about my idea that this is a liftback? Is it a liftback hatchback?

Isn't a liftback a hatchback?

Kitdy
07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Isn't a liftback a hatchback?

You know, I don't really understand the difference - this is an entirely possible scenario.

Gt1Street
08-14-2008, 07:54 AM
Rüsselsheim. Due to be unveiled at Paris Motor Show (October 4-19), Opel’s new station wagon offers leading technologies wrapped in a sporty, premium body and reflects this in its name: Insignia Sports Tourer.

The Insignia Sports Tourer, available in European markets in spring 2009, boasts the same athletic, powerful and elegant design as its sedan counterparts. “However,” says Mark Adams, Vice President of GM Europe Design, “this is a stand-alone model and not simply a wagon version of the sedan. In fact, all the bodywork aft of the B-pillar is unique to the Sports Tourer. We’ve also ensured that its design combines the sculptural artistry and technical precision found in the notch- and hatchback models.”

Designers gave the rear of the Sports Tourer a unique yet cohesive appearance by pulling the “wraparound” tailgate far into the flanks and accentuating it with large, distinctive, fully integrated tail lights.

This dynamic look encloses an interior that offers ample space for five occupants and a highly competitive luggage compartment. The luggage compartment offers a volume of 540 liters. The Sports Tourer has retained an identical wheelbase of 2.74 meters as the sedan models and added around 80 mm to its length for an overall 4.91 meters.

Two new engines - a downsized gasoline turbo engine and a new turbo diesel - will join the seven engines already available from launch of the sedan models. In addition, an ecoFLEX variant with remarkably low fuel consumption and CO2 emission levels will be added to the range in the near future.

“Along with leading technologies and high safety standards, the elegant Opel Insignia Sports Tourer clearly expresses Opel’s strategy to make innovation and attractive design accessible”, says Alain Visser, Chief Marketing Officer for GM Europe.

Its newly developed chassis, designed to offer a high level of safety and comfort, can even be enhanced with the innovative, integrated FlexRide mechatronic system which raises stability and provides real time, electronically controlled damping. FlexRide also gives the driver the choice between three driving modes. In addition to the standard adaptive mode, the driver can either opt for a comfort-oriented mode (“Tour”) or a Sport setting. The Sport mode makes the Insignia Sports Tourer driving experience more active, as it changes the set-up of interlinked functions such as the steering, throttle control, damping and even the ambient lighting of the dashboard. Moreover, Insignia customers can even opt for the new, sophisticated Adaptive 4x4 system that proactively distributes torque to ensure superb stability while providing optimal traction and enhancing handling performance on all road conditions.

The introduction of the Sports Tourer benefits from the high levels of technology showcased at the Insignia’s launch, such as the innovative “Opel Eye” camera, which reads and memorizes traffic signs and warns drivers when they unintentionally veer out of their lane. Other innovative features are the new-generation AFL headlamps that adjust to prevailing traffic conditions with nine different lighting functions and the particularly back-friendly, orthopedically-certified ergonomic sport seats.

Like the sedan models, the Insignia Sports Tourer was developed in GM Europe’s Design and Engineering Center in Rüsselsheim. It will also be built in the Rüsselsheim plant, one of the most modern and efficient plants in the world.

LeonOfTheDead
08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
the rear end is impossible to look at

f6fhellcat13
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I agree its like a bad combo of audi and BMW rear ends. Who woulda thought you could find bangle-butt on a stationwagon?

lightweight
08-14-2008, 11:21 AM
It's got a distinctive character design-wise.

That will help it sell more

Ferrer
08-16-2008, 11:20 AM
It's not succesful, which is a shame.

The saloon and hatch are much better.

LeonOfTheDead
08-16-2008, 12:56 PM
It's not succesful, which is a shame.

The saloon and hatch are much better.

but still far from my tastes. but I have never been a fan of Opel's cars, apart from the last Omega and Calibra

Ferrer
08-16-2008, 01:02 PM
but still far from my tastes. but I have never been a fan of Opel's cars, apart from the last Omega and Calibra
Compared to the old Vectra though, the Insignia looks very good both inside and out.

LeonOfTheDead
08-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Compared to the old Vectra though, the Insignia looks very good both inside and out.

yes, but that's not a real challenge...

IBrake4Rainbows
08-17-2008, 12:44 AM
The wagon really does look like a Facsimilie of an Audi Q7.

Definate preference for Hatch & Sedan.

Duell
04-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Opel Insignia OPC: Hot Chili Premiere at the Barcelona Motor Show

239 kW/325 hp and 400 Nm; 0 to 100 km/h in six seconds
Specially developed mechatronic chassis with all-wheel drive
First deliveries this fall

Rüsselsheim. The high performance version of the Car of the Year 2009 will be unveiled on May 7, when the Opel Insignia OPC premieres at the Barcelona Motor Show, ten years after the launch of the first OPC model (Opel Performance Center).

The heart of the Insignia OPC is its 2.8 V6 Turbo engine. Derived from the powerful gasoline engine already available on the top-of-the-line Insignia, this version reaches an output of 239 kW/325 hp. The increase in power was obtained by a special engine development and by reworking the exhaust, significantly reducing the counter pressure. And because sound is so important in the appreciation of an engine, the acoustic specialists worked on the exhaust of the V6 by adopting specific center and rear mufflers.

The Insignia OPC is available with a six-speed manual gearbox. The strong torque of 400 Nm ensures abundant pulling power even at lower engine speeds. With this engine performance, the Insignia OPC reaches a top speed of 250 km/h (restricted) and sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in six seconds.

The already very well performing Insignia chassis was further fine tuned for the OPC variant which ride height has been reduced by 10 mm compared to the Insignia (AWD Sport version). The newly developed mechatronic chassis also receives a new front axle. The front suspension architecture of the Insignia OPC retains a so called McPherson strut, however the engineers at the Opel Performance Center came up with an evolution called HiPerStrut (for high performance strut). Benefits are an improved steering feel, reduced steering disturbances due to the high torque and an enhanced feeling in the handling for the driver.

The Insignia OPC also comes with the adaptive FlexRide suspension which not only adapts to driving situation and driving style but also to the driver’s preferences. While on the Insignia the system offers the choice between a standard adaptive setting, a more comfortable mode and a sport mode, the OPC is definitely addressing those enjoying a sportier ride. OPC drivers can choose between three different sport modes: the standard mode as the high comfort setting, a special Sport mode and the OPC mode, for optimal performance.

For the first time also in the OPC portfolio, the Adaptive 4x4 system and its electronic rear limited slip differential (eLSD) are standard. The four-wheel drive management unit has been recalibrated to adapt torque distribution to the sporty philosophy of the OPC. Taking the higher performances of the OPC into consideration, significant development efforts were put into further improving the brake system. Connoisseurs will immediately spot the Brembo calipers and the perforated 355 mm disc on the front axle.

“I was personally involved in the development of the Insignia OPC and I very much enjoyed extensive testing on the most demanding race track of the world, the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Our target was to rival the “best of the best”,” said Hans Demant, Managing Director Adam Opel GmbH.

Distinctive looks are a clear statement on dynamic ambitions

The top-of-the-line body style dressed in an elegant sports outfit is inspired by the GTC concept car which starred in 2007, but still remains true to the Insignia’s design philosophy of sculptural artistry meets German precision.

Compared to less powerful versions of the Insignia, the OPC shows a spectacular new front end with two large vertical intakes and a specific rear bumper with dual integrated exhausts. The 19-inch wheels (tires: 245/40) are standard and give the car the stance it deserves. New 20-inch lightweight forged wheels (with 255/35 tires) are available as an option.

The dynamic sportiness of the exterior is also mirrored in the cockpit. When opening the door, the OPC is immediately impressive, from unique Recaro seats to a flat-bottomed sporty steering wheel and specific gear knob. The OPC also presents distinctive instrument graphics.

“The Insignia OPC marks the beginning of a new era for our OPC portfolio; still bold, but also more mature and refined, and more ambitious than ever. The OPC epitomizes the Insignia experience: dynamic and refined”, says Alain Visser, GM Europe Vice President Opel.

Duell
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Opel Insignia OPC #2

markpaul
04-19-2009, 02:05 PM
looks very nice
and te wheels are realy cool

Roentgen
04-19-2009, 05:29 PM
That is a damn good looking car! I love the 2 front vertical air intakes. Looks like the ones on the Bentley Continental Supersports.

ruim20
04-21-2009, 03:45 AM
I want! but i cannot has! :(

I like it a lot, just throws the old vectra out the window.

pimento
04-21-2009, 04:05 AM
I don't get the insignia love.. it looks like a cross between a blob and a Proton.

bruxell
04-21-2009, 11:27 AM
It's purdy! Let's hope it becomes a Pontiac so I can get one!

Ferrer
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
What this car is, is a cut price Audi S4.

Ferrer
05-21-2009, 09:32 AM
More pictures including the new Estate version.

Ferrer
05-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Opel Insignia OPC #4

Ferrer
09-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Opel Insignia ecoFLEX: New 130 hp goes easy on earth and wallet

Opel introduces a new, 95 kW/130 hp ecoFLEX engine to its Insignia ecoFLEX line-up at an attractive price, making it particularly alluring for fleet clients and private customers in several European countries with specific eco taxes

• Clean: only 136 g/km CO2 and 5.2 l/100 km
• Dynamic: 130 hp and up to 320 Nm of torque
• Beneficial: Substantial price and tax savings in many European countries

Rüsselsheim. Opel introduces a new, 95 kW/130 hp ecoFLEX engine to its Insignia ecoFLEX line-up at an attractive price, making it particularly alluring for fleet clients and private customers in several European countries with specific eco taxes.

This new entry level offering makes ecological mobility even more accessible with prices starting at 26,400 euros in Germany. It joins a 160 hp ecoFLEX version already in the Insignia line-up. Both are currently available on the Insignia ecoFLEX notchback and hatchback variants. Later this year these engines will also be available on the Sports Tourer body style.

Insignia ecoFLEX models combine the best of both worlds: They offer low emissions and fuel consumption without compromising on performance or driving dynamics. Both consume only 5.2 liters of diesel per 100 km – equivalent to 136 g/km of CO2 emissions – yet they deliver generous torque values ranging from 320 up to 380 Nm. That is thanks to a powerful, new-generation turbo diesel 2-liter common rail engine refined specifically for the ecoFLEX range. Like the engines across the entire Insignia range, the ecoFLEX models meet tough Euro 5 standards.

Due to an exceptionally low level of CO2 emissions in its category, well below 140 g/km, the new 130 hp version an benefit from substantial tax advantages in several European countries.

When equipped with the 160 hp engine, the Insignia ecoFLEX sedan accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 9.5 seconds and reaches a top speed of 221 km/h. The 130 hp Insignia ecoFLEX reaches the 100 km/h mark in 11.1 second and is capable of 207 km/h.

Both Insignia ecoFLEX engine variants are available as a Sports Tourer. The station wagon variant of the “2009 Car of the Year” only needs 5,3 l/100 km in the combined cycle which corresponds to 139 g/km in CO2 emissions.

“When defining the Insignia ecoFLEX, we decided to offer more than just a green car: It needed to deliver a high level of performance and as many innovative technologies as the rest of the Insignia range. At this price, it simply has no true competitor,” says Hans Demant, Managing Director Adam Opel GmbH.

CD value places ecoFLEX among the top streamlined sedans in the world

The Insignia ecoFLEX reaches a remarkable CD value of 0.26, placing it among the top streamlined sedans in the world – in the same company of more expensive cars from premium brands.

Compared to a standard 2.0 CDTI Insignia, the air drag value of the ecoFLEX models has been reduced by no less than 20 points. Five major modifications contribute to this result: Tank covers were added in front of the rear axle; the upper cooling grille was closed; the center cut-out of the front spoiler was closed; the standing height was lowered and the lower side of the radiator was sealed.

In addition, the Insignia ecoFLEX are equipped with specifically designed, low resistance 225/55 R 17 tires developed by Michelin.

CleanTech technology optimizes efficiency

The heart of the ecoFLEX model is the 118 kW/160 hp or 96 kW/130 hp versions of the new generation 4-cylinder 2.0 CDTI launched on the Insignia last winter. It comes exclusively with a 6-speed manual gearbox, whose final gear ratio has been lengthened to reduce engine speed and fuel consumption. In addition, a gear shift indicator signals to the driver when the powertrain management system considers shifting up a gear would be optimal to saving fuel. Moreover, shorter gear ratios have been selected for the first and second gears to avoid any deterioration of the Insignia ecoFLEX acceleration capabilities.

A specific, innovative technology premieres in the engine of the Insignia ecoFLEX: the CleanTech Combustion Process. It ensures the lowest possible fuel consumption and level of emissions via an electronic closed-loop system. The key enablers of that fuel economy technology are the new piezo-resistive sensors which measure the pressure in each of the four combustion chambers.

cargirl1990
09-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Hold on, isn't that the Saturn Aura, but a German version? I'm pretty postitive that it is.

Kitdy
09-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Hold on, isn't that the Saturn Aura, but a German version? I'm pretty postitive that it is.

The Saturn Aura is based off of the Opel Vectra. The Opel Insignia is the replacement for the Vectra.

Ferrer
09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

The Saturn Aura is based off of the Opel Vectra. The Opel Insignia is the replacement for the Vectra.
This has no US-sold equivalent in the same way the Vectra didn't have it, but it, like the Vectra, does share some mechanicals with USDM cars.

Chernaudi
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
The Saturn Aura was based off the platform of the Vectra, and the Buick Regal is a NA/Chinese market version of the Insignia.

Both the Vectra and the Insignia are based (albeit on a heavily modified version of in the case of the Insignia) the GM Elipsion platform.

Ferrer
08-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Opel Insignia Model Year 2012: New Engines and Premium Features

Best-in-class: New 1.4 turbo ecoFLEX thriftiest gasoline engine in mid-size class
Powerful: New 2.0 turbo with 185 kW/250 hp delivers 400 Nm of torque
Clever: Start/Stop system available for many engine variants
Added value: Navigation system, front camera, high-class leather interior

Rüsselsheim. Since making its debut, the Opel Insignia has won more than 50 national and international awards, including the especially prestigious title “Car of the Year”. Customers have affirmed this critical success with great demand – over 400,000 units of the brand flagship have been sold to date. With new gasoline engines and state-of-the-art technologies, the Insignia is set to continue its successful run in model year 2012. Prices start at 23,330 euro (RRP incl. VAT).

New gasoline engine with 103 kW/140 hp sets standards in fuel economy

The newly developed 1.4 turbo ecoFLEX gasoline engine is the product of uncompromising “downsizing”. In combination with six-speed manual transmission, Start/Stop technology, power steering, aerodynamic underbody paneling and size 225/50 R 17 low-rolling-resistance tires, it is the most economical gasoline engine in the entire mid-size class segment.

All together, these measures reduce the 1.4 turbo fuel consumption – compared with the previous 1.8-liter version, also with 103 kW/140 hp – by two liters in the sedan to 5.7 liters per 100 kilometers. CO2 emissions are reduced by 45 grams to 134 grams per kilometer – in both cases a reduction of more than 25 percent. At the same time, the torque delivered by the most economical gasoline engine in its class was increased by almost 15 percent to 200 Nm.

With this performance potential the Insignia 1.4 turbo ecoFLEX can accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in just 10.9 seconds, reaching a maximum speed of 205 km/h. Opel’s top model is available with this propulsion variant as a sedan or as a Sports Tourer and – with 5.9 liters per 100 km and 139 g/km CO2 – it also sets standards in the station wagon segment.

Refinements to the new powertrain also include the optimization of the transmission ratio, resulting in reduced consumption and improved agility. The electric power steering REPS (Rack Assist Electric Power Steering) featured for the first time in the Insignia provides additional comfort. Its steering characteristics can now be even more flexibly adapted to every driving situation. A significant advantage of the REPS system is the potential for fuel saving and thus a reduction in CO2 emissions. As it does not permanently rely on a running hydraulic servo pump, the electric power steering is only active when it is required.

2.0 turbo 4x4: More power and torque with reduced consumption

The two-liter turbo with direct injection in combination with the state-of-the-art 4x4 all-wheel drive goes into the new model year with 30 hp higher output. It is available with six-speed manual transmission or automatic transmission. The engine delivers 185 kW/250 hp and maximum torque of 400 Nm (previously 350 Nm). This powerful drivetrain with manual transmission can sprint from zero to 100 km/h in just 7.5 seconds. The top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h.

The 2-liter turbo unit is impressive proof that increased output and reduced fuel consumption can go hand in hand. Thanks to extensive measures like the Start/Stop system and low-rolling-resistance tires, Opel engineers were able to reduce fuel consumption and CO2 emissions to 8.4 l/100 km and 197 g/km respectively (previously: 8.9 l/100 km, 209 g/km CO2). With this increase in power and torque and the even more dynamic characteristics – with simultaneous reduction in fuel consumption – the Insignia 2.0 turbo 4x4 convinces with a top performance in the premium mid-size class segment.

Opel Start/Stop system with many engine variants

Not just the two units already mentioned benefit from the Opel Start/Stop system. The 162 kW/220 hp 2.0 turbo with front-wheel drive and six-speed manual transmission will soon be available with the intelligent fuel-saving technology – including aerodynamic underbody paneling and rolling-resistance-optimized tires.

This reduces fuel consumption by 0.5 to 7.6 liters per 100 kilometers. The Start/Stop system is in its element in city traffic, where up to one liter per 100 kilometers can be saved. The CO2 emissions in the combined cycle were reduced accordingly to 179 instead of the former 189 grams per kilometer.

New infotainment systems

The new infotainment systems Navi 600 and Navi 900 Europa are far superior to the CD or DVD-based predecessor versions in terms of the scope of features offered. All of the map material is stored on SD cards, and the maps can be adapted to suit individual customer needs. In addition to the default points of interest (POIs), further POIs can be downloaded and stored on the device. The driver can select single points and store these in the address book as individual POIs. Another practical feature: as well as the fastest and shortest routes, the navigation system also allows the selection of the most economical, i.e. lowest fuel consumption routes.

The Navi 900 Europa system also offers a voice recognition and log book function – the latter with the option of separating private and business trips. An additional POI announcement informs the driver of points of interest in the direct proximity by audible signal, text or popup. As of the equipment variant “Edition”, an especially high-quality Infinity sound system is also available.

Opel front camera with additional functions

The Opel Insignia also offers further optimizations in the model year 2012 in terms of safety. The new Opel front camera, used for traffic sign recognition and lane departure warning to date, now also has the Following Distance Indication which constantly measures the distance to the car ahead in seconds. It is activated automatically from a speed of 40 km/h and helps the driver to avoid rear-end collisions and possible fines for tailgating. The Forward Collision Alert provides a visual signal on the instrument cluster and an audible alarm to warn the driver of an imminent collision with the car ahead. Additionally, the optionally available front camera in conjunction with AFL+ serves as a High Beam Assist.

Premium equipment: Nappa leather “Indian Night”

The model year 2012 Insignia also offers enhanced comfort and additional elegance. It is available on request with premium Nappa leather finish “Indian Night” which is distinguished by a combination of high-quality black leather with contrasting stitching in an elegant Cognac tone. The exterior look is refined by the new dark metallic lacquer “Luxor”, which, depending on the light, has blue-violet color reflections. The sporty, elegant silhouette of the Opel Insignia will be rounded off in the coming months by a selection of new alloy wheels with striking rim designs.

Alain Visser, Vice President Sales, Marketing and Aftersales at Opel, on the market potential of the optimized Opel Insignia: “With its new product characteristics, particularly regarding fuel consumption and CO2 reductions, the Insignia will strengthen its outstanding position in its class – to the benefit of our customers.”

Duell
09-13-2015, 12:03 PM
The Insignia version of the A4/A6 Allroad

Duell
09-13-2015, 12:05 PM
Insigna Country Tourer

Opel Insignia Country Tourer made its world premiere at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September 2013: The Country Tourers main competitors are the Volkswagen Passat Alltrack , Audi A4 Allroad, and Škoda Octavia Scout.