PDA

View Full Version : Certified ZR1 Numbers!

baddabang
04-25-2008, 08:10 AM
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Certified for an Outrageous 638 hp, 605 lb-ft - Car News

Official horsepower and torque figures prove even higher than the estimates. We bow low to GM’s powertrain gods.
BY ALISA PRIDDLE, PHOTOGRAPHY BY RICHARD PRINCE
April 2008

As if there weren’t enough superlatives surrounding the 2009 Chevy Corvette ZR1, we learn General Motors undersold the grunt of its most expensive and most powerful production Corvette ever.

We were already enthralled as we dreamed of an estimated 620 hp at 6500 rpm and 600 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm from its supercharged LS9 6.2-liter V-8. Not so fast, says GM to anyone wed to those impressive figures—it’s actually more powerful!

Having completed SAE certification for the first factory-built Vette with forced induction, the true numbers are a dizzying 638 hp and 604 lb-ft of torque. Do the math and that’s nearly 103 horses per liter, or just about 1.7 hp for each of the engine’s 376 cubic inches. Well worth the expected hundred grand price tag (or about $110,000 for the loaded 4LZ trim level).

GM says it has not completed its fuel economy testing, but engineers assure us it will be “the most fuel-efficient 600-plus-horsepower car on the market.” We actually thought it was illegal to put the words ‘fuel efficient’ and ‘600 horsepower’ in the same sentence—and given that enthusiasts likely will be willing to maim one another for one of only 2000 ZR1s (all with handmade engines) to be built a year, we suggest anyone who asks about mpg be immediately disqualified from ownership.
This snorting beast goes on sale in August or September.

More than expected. I approve.

pimento
04-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Mmyea... it's pretty powerful.. I guess..

:D

silverhawk
04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
638 HP!!!! if it can corner properly then im sold

fisetdavid26
04-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll take an all-black one please.

Kitdy
04-25-2008, 09:31 AM
They also tested it at some high-speed ring and got up to 205 mph.

roosterjuicer
04-25-2008, 09:45 AM
here's another link too. Corvette ZR1 Certified at 638hp - GM Inside News Forum (http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/corvette-zr1-certified-638hp-63647/)

Im sure it will be able to corner, the standard z06 corners just fine so you gotta assume the zr1 will handle good also.

im surprised about the 205. i read in road and track they got the z06 up to the high 190's (198ish) i would think that 100 extra horsepower would be good for more than a few mph but 205 is still pretty sweet and i know there's a lot more to top speed than hp.

digitalcraft
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
here's another link too. Corvette ZR1 Certified at 638hp - GM Inside News Forum (http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/corvette-zr1-certified-638hp-63647/)

Im sure it will be able to corner, the standard z06 corners just fine so you gotta assume the zr1 will handle good also.

im surprised about the 205. i read in road and track they got the z06 up to the high 190's (198ish) i would think that 100 extra horsepower would be good for more than a few mph but 205 is still pretty sweet and i know there's a lot more to top speed than hp.

As speed doubles, drag squares, so it takes lots of horsepower at that upper end for a small increase

Matra et Alpine
04-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Going to be interesting,

BTW .... :) .... another example of a US citation for hp/l
Years of devotees sayign it doesn't matter, it doesn#t matter but as soon as the 'vette can do over 100hp/l then it gets mentioned :) :)

The_Canuck
04-25-2008, 03:37 PM
Going to be interesting,

BTW .... :) .... another example of a US citation for hp/l
Years of devotees sayign it doesn't matter, it doesn#t matter but as soon as the 'vette can do over 100hp/l then it gets mentioned :) :)

It's also supercharged....

monaroCountry
04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Curb weight (full gas tank and all fluids) 3324 lbs
Dry weight 3155 lbs

Ferrer
04-27-2008, 06:49 AM
I love the "close ratio gearbox - 65mph in first gear!"...

fisetdavid26
04-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Attachment System Please!!!

2ndclasscitizen
04-27-2008, 07:04 AM

That's pretty much like all close-ratio gearboxes on powerful cars. Long 1st to get up to speed, then 2nd -> 6th close packed together. Though this will undoubtedly be 2nd -> 5th close, then moonshot 6th. If you don't have the long 1st with close-ratio box, you'll limit the top speed.

Fleet 500
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
That is even better than a '68 Dodge Charger R/T with 426 Hemi (that did 63 mph in first gear with a 3.23 rear axle ratio and automatic trans).

hightower99
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Odd that, like Matra pointed out, GM again makes a big deal of pointing out the fact that this engine is just north of 100HP/L.

I thought the idea of specific output was something that didn't matter ;)

Anyways GM should be thrilled. They raised the bar and created a new level of Halo car while still maintaining a great bang-for-buck value.

Think about it, you can get it fully kitted for an est. 110,000USD and you get 638HP for that (alittle over 172 bucks per HP) and more importantly some of the biggest most hardcore brakes.

I can finally say that I would be proud to have a ride in or drive a ZR1.

BTW: I know that technically the Z06 is even better bang-for-your-buck value but it has some other issues that I think the ZR1 handles. IMO the ZR1 is deserving of the Supercar moniker aswell as being drive-everyday friendly.

whiteballz
04-28-2008, 12:19 AM
I want one in arctic white pearl, black interior. black wheels.. right now.

koenigseggccx
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
638 HP!!!! if it can corner properly then im sold
Its american. they DONT corner. they go really fast in a straight line, and then explode...

NSXType-R
04-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Well, competition is always good. Maybe we'll see a crazier version of the GT-R and a better version of the NSX and LF-A, whenever they come out.

clutch-monkey
04-29-2008, 12:19 AM
That's pretty much like all close-ratio gearboxes on powerful cars. Long 1st to get up to speed, then 2nd -> 6th close packed together. Though this will undoubtedly be 2nd -> 5th close, then moonshot 6th. If you don't have the long 1st with close-ratio box, you'll limit the top speed.
kinda wierd, i know in an ITR you have two gear changes before you hit 100, probably a bit more closely geared :D

I can finally say that I would be proud to have a ride in or drive a ZR1.

i'm sure they're honoured :rolleyes:

2ndclasscitizen
04-29-2008, 04:28 AM
kinda wierd, i know in an ITR you have two gear changes before you hit 100, probably a bit more closely geared :D

It's all relative really. In something like a ZR1 which has the power for big speeds, you can get speed up with a long first, then have shorter 2-> gears, rather than having a shorter first but longer gearing overall (and less acceleration) up to v-max. But in an ITR where there's not the power (or need) for a big top whack, you just make 'em all short.

roosterjuicer
04-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Its american. they DONT corner. they go really fast in a straight line, and then explode...

Great post! no need to even vote on post of the year this one wins it hands down. Congratulations!!

:rolleyes:

Type17
04-29-2008, 12:39 PM

That was extremely ignorant...

jediali
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM

http://birdonthemoon.com/you_win_the_prize-thumb.jpeg

P4g4nite
04-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Am I the only person not excited by yet another unnecessary increase in lateral grip and effortless engine power?

Ferrer
04-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Am I the only person not excited by yet another unnecessary increase in lateral grip and effortless engine power?
Nope.

roosterjuicer
04-30-2008, 09:33 AM

I dunno if i would call it unnecessary. it brings more competition to the market, which makes everyone else make better cars to match...doesn't everyone want better cars?

SolidStradale
04-30-2008, 01:36 PM
The only way a car like this could be improved.
2007 Genaddi G-SPT - Tuners - Motor Trend (http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/112_0804_2007_genaddi_g_spt)

ThisBlood147
04-30-2008, 09:59 PM

I'm guessing it would excite you more if it couldn't go around a 45 degree turn without flailing off the road and didn't have enough power to get out of its own way???

Jack_Bauer
04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I dunno if i would call it unnecessary. it brings more competition to the market, which makes everyone else make better cars to match...doesn't everyone want better cars?

It all depends if you subscribe to the "more power = better car" theory.

There are certain examples where the "horsepower war" between the German manufacturers has actually resulted in less enjoyable driver's cars. With regards to Corvettes, I specifically recall EVO magazine in the Uk testing a Lingenfelter tuned Z06 and finding that they thought the extra power actually made the car less enjoyable, and a worse all round car than the standard Z06.

That's not to say that the ZR1 isn't going to be a good car of course, it may very well turn out to be great.

There's a lot more to cars than headline power figures though.

P4g4nite
05-01-2008, 12:20 AM
I dunno if i would call it unnecessary. it brings more competition to the market, which makes everyone else make better cars to match...doesn't everyone want better cars?It's a road car, why does ridiculously high power and grip = better?
As performance rises the driver increasingly becomes the weakest link. There are already many cars with limits that far exceed the driver's ability and opportunity to exploit them so what do we gain by further widening the gap?

I'm guessing it would excite you more if it couldn't go around a 45 degree turn without flailing off the road and didn't have enough power to get out of its own way???Go drown yourself, newbie.

Slicks
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
It's a road car, why does ridiculously high power and grip = better?
As performance rises the driver increasingly becomes the weakest link. There are already many cars with limits that far exceed the driver's ability and opportunity to exploit them so what do we gain by further widening the gap?

Your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong.

Coventrysucks
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong.

But, on the other hand, your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong, apparently. So you cancel each other out quite nicely.

It is ridiculous how many people are keen to either deride a car entirely because it doesn't have "enough" power/speed/acceleration - without providing a qualified definintion of "enough" other than "what everyone else has got", or similarly, simulate coitus with a car's tailpipe because it has top-trumps numbers, regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it.

Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?

Slicks
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
But, on the other hand, your opinion of what makes a road car "better" is the only one that matters, any one who disagrees with you is wrong, apparently. So you cancel each other out quite nicely.
404 opinion not found.
Believe it or not some people (not saying myself) enjoy driving a high powered sports car. I know, they must be crazy for liking jet like acceleration, right? What a bunch of fools...
On a more serious note, on a road thats near perfectly strait, whats the joy in having excellent handling and no power? Many of you only see and judge by one side of the coin, ignoring the other.

It is ridiculous how many people are keen to either deride a car entirely because it doesn't have "enough" power/speed/acceleration - without providing a qualified definintion of "enough" other than "what everyone else has got", or similarly, simulate coitus with a car's tailpipe because it has top-trumps numbers, regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it.

Thank you for putting my above post into your own words.

Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?
They replaced a few parts for lighter ones, tweaked the suspension and modified an existing engine platform, I wouldn't go as far as saying they might as well make a new car...

P4g4nite
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Nobody likes your crybaby routine, Slicks. If you've got a reasoned response to my questions just give it.
You muscleheads get such a panty twist if people don't immediately agree that bigger numbers makes a better road car.

Coventrysucks
05-02-2008, 04:09 PM
404 opinion not found.

So, you are saying that mine and his opinions are invalid because allegedly we have claimed your opinions are invalid.

Thank you for putting my above post into your own words.

Great, my opinion is not just invalid, it is actually yours now.

Some sort of quest, in the Reading area.

Slicks
05-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Nobody likes your crybaby routine, Slicks. If you've got a reasoned response to my questions just give it.
You muscleheads get such a panty twist if people don't immediately agree that bigger numbers makes a better road car.
Im not the one complaining about a high powered sports car...
If you don't like it, then don't bother posting, or trying to say GM is wrong for making a more powerful, better handling Corvette. God forbid someone else might prefer a more powerful car...

So, you are saying that mine and his opinions are invalid because allegedly we have claimed your opinions are invalid.

Not at all. I'm saying I never gave an opinion in the first place.

Great, my opinion is not just invalid, it is actually yours now.

Some sort of quest, in the Reading area.
This quote:
"regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it."
Is what Im talking about. P4g4nite is just reading a spec sheet and deciding that its some how an inferior car.

2ndclasscitizen
05-03-2008, 06:52 PM
It's a road car, why does ridiculously high power and grip = better?
Go drown yourself, newbie.

This quote:
"regardless of what the car is actually like when you do anything other than read the spec-sheet at it."
Is what Im talking about. P4g4nite is just reading a spec sheet and deciding that its some how an inferior car.

He's not suggesting it's an inferior car, he's questioning the point of it. There are already plenty of stupidly powerful cars that are better than pretty much anyone who will ever drive one, Lambos, Zondas, top-flight Ferraris etc etc. (and to further P4g4nite's point) but unlike those cars, the ZR1 is still just a Corvette. An immensely fast one no doubt, but still a Corvette.

P4g4nite
05-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Im not the one complaining about a high powered sports car.I didn't complain. I asked why more power and more grip makes for a better road car and if this is a trend worth continuing

If you don't like it, then don't bother posting, or trying to say GM is wrong for making a more powerful, better handling Corvette.If you don't like my opinion, slicks, don't reply.

Fiorano
05-04-2008, 07:04 AM
I just saw a blue ZR1 (i could tell by the wierd hood)
drive by me in my volvo- it was on PCH out of laguna beach,CA-USA
looks like a Z06 7.0 but with a wierd hood- did not sound any different at those speeds either.
now is a smaller blown engine with more power really a better solution?
why did they not just super charge the 7.0?

Fiorano
05-04-2008, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE

Given that they have ended up replacing much of the existing vehicle anyway, why not do something daring and crazy, like build another sports car, apart from the Corvette?[/QUOTE]

and this is a good point-
i mean on sheer numbers the Gt-R is not better car, if the ring times are real and the usability of the car in all weather are what you judge by than the lower power GTR is better, if it is grip..
power? what is enough if you can't use it.

I would say the big GT always are "better cars" unless it is all out race, than the compromise must lean one way or another.
the Vantage, the 599 Fiorano, the Z06/Zr1, the 911Gt2,Viper, the Jaguar XKR, these are all better road cars than say a buggati or a saleen S7, or a mosler MT900, or even an enzo.
only because the defining idea is road and this connotes use and frequently
but i would think these are all over powered for a daily grind
the Lotus elise, the saturn sky/opel speedster/pontiac solstice, mazda miata, nissan 350 z the Holden Monaro,pontiac GTO...these are better everyday cars and they certainly are not poor on performance but what is the measuring stick really measuring a spec sheet? or real experience.
the fastest thing i ever drove has been a 99 viper at a race in road america
this car i could live with in the street, but at the time it had what 450 hp?
a 600 hp viper would be absolutely ludicrous and i see these and SLR, or SL65 AMGs all over and Pork GT2/ a GT3 now and again a F430
i also see these on wrecked exotics alot of people are dumb/crazy thinking they can handle more and more power and grip
especially in a very unpredictable surface as a public road with traffic.
The ZR1 is a great piece-
i hope they are used sparingly on the road and alot on track days where they belong. i would hate to see these wrecked

Slicks
05-04-2008, 05:25 PM
He's not suggesting it's an inferior car, he's questioning the point of it. There are already plenty of stupidly powerful cars that are better than pretty much anyone who will ever drive one, Lambos, Zondas, top-flight Ferraris etc etc. (and to further P4g4nite's point) but unlike those cars, the ZR1 is still just a Corvette. An immensely fast one no doubt, but still a Corvette.
The Point? Its a 630+hp car with a warranty that you can buy for significantly less than a Ferrari or Lambo etc. Not everyone can afford a $200,000 car, then the maintenance and insurance for one. But more people will be able to afford a $100,000 car with much cheaper maintenance, especially one that you can work on yourself...

I didn't complain. I asked why more power and more grip makes for a better road car and if this is a trend worth continuing
If you don't like my opinion, slicks, don't reply.
In some peoples eyes, yes, in others obviously no.
Here is a post from a potential ZR1 buyer:
LS1TECH - View Single Post - Official ZR1 Horsepower & Torque Numbers (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9249830&postcount=48)
A former owner of LS1tech, and has owned many powerful cars in the past and currently has a supercharged Viper putting out close to 700hp to the wheels(amongst other cars). Obviously he can afford a ZR1.
Notice, he wants more power out of the ZR1. So for him, more power = better.
You want my opinion? More power to an extent is good for a "road car", as well as better handling. I would personally prefer a Z06 over the ZR1, 505hp/470ft.lbs is enough for me (for now :p )

Slicks
05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I just saw a blue ZR1 (i could tell by the wierd hood)
drive by me in my volvo- it was on PCH out of laguna beach,CA-USA
looks like a Z06 7.0 but with a wierd hood- did not sound any different at those speeds either.
now is a smaller blown engine with more power really a better solution?
why did they not just super charge the 7.0?
They used the 6.2L because the bore spacing on the LS7 was really tight, and I don't think it would take kindly to boost for a long period of time.
Sort answer - reliability.

Fiorano
05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
thanks for the 7.0 info

monaroCountry
05-07-2008, 06:12 AM
From: BridgeToGantry.com - Everything Nurburgring Nordschleife! - More ZR1 Nurburgring News (http://bridgetogantry.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=161&Itemid=1)

http://picsorban.com/upload/zr1_2.jpg
Is that a supercharger under your bonnet or are you just pleased to see me?

The weather here in Nürburg continues warm and dry. So it's unsurprising that Chevrolet have been out testing the Corvette ZR1 - the supercharged 642bhp behemoth that promises to make the most of your $100,000.

Without insider knowledge* it would be difficult to confirm, but I think they may have been looking for a laptime today. From my office window I spotted a helicopter chasing something that sounded very V8 and awfully supercharged...

http://picsorban.com/upload/zr1_1.jpg
Ferrari red. On a Corvette. Weep.

*GM: This is an open invitation. We want more information!

fisetdavid26
05-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Ferrari red. On a Corvette. Weep.
There's a 55 years old saying that says "Red is the only colour for the Corvette".

bigmikelv
05-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Why do people have to judge everything? we should all hang out and wait for the real numbers to come out.

P4g4nite
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
A good, detailed article on the LS9 (http://autospeed.com/cms/A_110200/article.html) at Autospeed.