PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy dreaming?

iamME
05-03-2004, 06:48 PM
This is in relation to a 1981 Mazda RX7 he wants $5400 for it.
It's got 277,000 on the odometer, it's manual and has no mods.
Dreaming Yay or Nay?

Slicks
05-03-2004, 08:20 PM
LOL, yeah hes dreaming. My friend bought a 84RX7 for about $2000. It had about 70K miles on it, and nothing wrong except for a little rust by the front driverside wheel. BTW I would just like to comment that from experience in his car, its not something youd want to buy for performance.

Egg Nog
05-03-2004, 08:49 PM
My very kind neighbour sold his '83 in very good condition for $500 ($365 USD)... then again, he also sold me my 914 for $450 ($328 USD)... :D

What I am most impressed with is how well the RX-7 FD generation models keep their value.... many still sell for well over 20 grand around here...

iamME
05-03-2004, 09:28 PM
i thought so just thought i'd make sure though.
damn shame, it's a really nice car.

iamME
05-03-2004, 09:38 PM
what a cool neighbour.
i'm working in kms not miles and i'm from australia do you think there would be a huge difference in car value compared to the US and canada.

Egg Nog
05-03-2004, 09:44 PM
what a cool neighbour.
i'm working in kms not miles and i'm from australia do you think there would be a huge difference in car value compared to the US and canada.

It's nice to have others that work in metric, rather than that crappy archaic old imperial system :). I still don't understand why the Americans (and in some cases the Brits) still haven't bothered to change over. It probably has something to do with the fact that it was invented by the French ;)

Anyway, the best judgement comparisons would be to look up other similar RX-7s. Look at online classifieds, etc. Sorry that I can't really offer you any Australian ones, but you might know of some. FPV? Falcon? Can you help him out?

Just for the record, 1 Aussie dollar is almost exactly the same as a Canadian dollar, so the conversions shouldn't be hard to figure out. Feel free to share any if you find some...

iamME
05-03-2004, 10:09 PM
i've actually been doing research for a while and most RX7's here tend to start from $3000, i mean the ones that are running/registable.
i have a big thing against rust. :mad:
you don't actually see them that often, well not as much as skylines anyway.
277,000 is a lot of kms to have on a car though maybe i can talk down the price.
i just read more about the car and the engine has actually recently been rebuilt it's only a 12A but for now i don't feel the need to have anything more powerful. i want to do a few BMW driver training courses and track racing before i get anything more.

Matra et Alpine
05-03-2004, 10:12 PM
For UK, that is WAY over-priced.
LOTS of RX7s 6-8 years yonger for that kind of price and better mileage.
( to a pure metric, is it still mileage for a car ? What's the collective noun for the distance covered then ? )

[ yes, egg nog, the UK is taking time to move over. My generation is one that uses both, my kids only use metric and are confused when the signs all read miles :) HAT is what the UK government is waiting for and then we'll waste millions of pounds ( not not Euros ) on changing road signs. Someone will justify it as preferable to reducing poverty or improving education !! ]

Egg Nog
05-03-2004, 10:37 PM
[ yes, egg nog, the UK is taking time to move over. My generation is one that uses both, my kids only use metric and are confused when the signs all read miles :) HAT is what the UK government is waiting for and then we'll waste millions of pounds ( not not Euros ) on changing road signs. Someone will justify it as preferable to reducing poverty or improving education !! ]

Back on the subject of metric here, I must say that I use both, but am infinetey partial to metric. Working as a carpenter, I'm stuck with basically the only job in Canada that still deals in imperial!

It's good to know that the UK is taking steps toward fixing this problem. ;) I think it would be pretty difficult to convince the Americans though. Surely they can see the advantages of metric, but it all boils down to the subject of what you're used to.

Anyway, should we start a new thread for this? :D

cls12vg30
05-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, so we like to do things our own way. Most of us have no interest in switching to metric, it's such a relatively rare thing that we have occasion to leave the US, it's not really a problem, and as you said it's what you're used to.

However, we do also have a sort of perverse mixture of measurement systems. For example, milk is sold in gallons, however soda is sold in liters. All scientific measurements, including all medications, are measured in metric units. I can go to the store and buy an 12 ounce can of soup, however the nutrition information will list the fat content in grams. Civilians have little use for meters and kilometers, however the military measures length and distance in those units almost exclusively.

It seems ridiculous I know, but again, it's what we're used to. I don't see it changing anytime soon, either.

NAZCA C2
05-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Some people must have never heard of depreciation. I saw a 97' Toyota Supra (stock with 4spd auto) on ebay a couple of weeks ago with 50,000 miles on it and the seller wanted $42,000 for it! This guy must have been on crack. A 97' Supra with 50K miles is worth about $26,000.