PDA

View Full Version : Mazda RX-8 or Nissan 350Z

haso0on
05-04-2004, 07:45 AM
hey all, am planing into buying a new car, and i have some problems choosing between the RX-8 and the 350Z

i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine with a 238 HP while the 350Z has a 3.5L V6 engine with 287 HP

but the interior of the RX-8 is reaaaallly amaazing, and especially the dash board

anyhow, can you please compare the both cars and tell me which is better.
also money wise...

thanks

Matra et Alpine
05-04-2004, 08:26 AM
hey all, am planing into buying a new car, and i have some problems choosing between the RX-8 and the 350Z

i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine with a 238 HP while the 350Z has a 3.5L V6 engine with 287 HP
That might have been a typo, in case it's not then the engine is a 650cc x2 rotor wankel engine. If you're not sure what that is http://www.mazdarx8.co.uk/rotary/default.asp will guide you and that site will explain the advantages as Mazda see them.

Personally I would suggest you only consider the RX-8 if you understand the engine and the choices you make. The Wankel engine history hasn't always been a good one.
In the UK, I've been told that Mazda are having cars back into the showroom to do an extra 500 mile oil change. Suspicions aboudn that they are looking for soemthing - could it be the old tip rotors AGAIN - hope not :(

On looks howveer, the RX-8 has it for me too. Being adventrurous enough in desing to put in rear sucide doors and generally clean interior is a plus over the Nissan's "sameness".

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

byronleehk
05-04-2004, 09:01 AM
I would choose the 350Z over the RX-8 anytime.

When Nissan came out with the 350Z they did several tests in Japan, including a 3 lap race against a Porsche Boxster, BMW M3, Honda S2000 and another car which I can't remember (all driven by JTCC drivers). Ended up the Z won (it started from the 1st row and the M3 being on the last) with the M3 came in 2nd.

Although the Japanese specs are different from the export models, I still think the Z will out-perform, out-handle the RX-8. And I don't like the suicide door on the RX-8.

Just my 2 cents. :)

UK CARS
05-04-2004, 09:08 AM
rx-8, though thats a tricky one!! :confused:
the r8-8 handaling is suppose to be quaility and the looks, practacality are all top featuers with the mazda....(download the top gear episode on it)!
the 350z looks are radical...though the interior is dull, i sat in one a few weeks ago...
overall the mazer tops the nissy ;)

NAZCA C2
05-04-2004, 09:30 AM
If you plan to keep your car stock then choose the one you like more. If I were choosing I would go with the 350Z. You can get a lot more aftermarket parts for the 350Z. Nissan even offers a bunch of performance parts through its Nismo division. Also you don't need to rev the Nissan through the roof to get the most out of it like you need to with the RX-8.

http://www.nissanusa.com/content/0,,action-NStaticLoader_path-@nissan@nismo@static@nismoLanding,00.html

Shinobi
05-04-2004, 09:35 AM
i know that the rx-8 has a 1.3 L V4 engine
Hahahahahahahahahaha, oookkkay.

All laughing aside, it depends on what you want in the car. Is it going to be a daily driver to get you to and from work? Are you ever going to be carrying more than one passenger? Do you want a clean, smooth 3.5L engine with plenty of torque, or a quick and nimble high revving rotary? Are you going to keep it stock or plan on modding it?

The Z: Powerful, smooth, good handling, relatively cheap and easy to mod and make very fast. But only has two seats, an ugly interior, is more expensive, and IMO looks terrible.

The 8: Fun to drive, 9.5 thousand revs to play with, nice interior, two back seats and even two rear doors. Not as fast in a straight line as the Z, but around the corners it's just as impressive. The looks aren't for everyone, and may take you a while to love it. Also the wankel has very little torque, so you'll have to be high in your rpm band and be a pretty good driver to get the most out of the engine and throw you back in your seat. Rotary engines are harder and more expensive to modify, and don't have the best reputation for longevity.

With that in mind, go test drive both cars and see which one fits you best. Then weigh in their practicality. Z: Better for a track car, 8: Better if you want to carry passengers and luggage. Which one is more fun to drive, and which one you are going to be happy with years from now. :)

bk4uyeah
05-04-2004, 10:30 AM
I would have to go witht the Z. Its V-6 is exactly what i want and need, plus, the track model offer some nice brembo brakes.

Cotterik
05-04-2004, 11:08 AM
Definitely the RX-8, more economic an better looking ( + all the other amazing things about it that i wont start going on about )

byronleehk
05-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Get the Z, get the Z :p

SilverArrowZ
05-13-2004, 07:23 PM
if you are going to modify it, i think 350Z is way better, at least in fuel effeciency. Mod a 350Z to twin turbo, running 0.7 bar. This will give you about 360 to 370 horsepower (probably 340 on the wheel) and you still get 28 mpg!!! i don't think any other turbocharged cars can match this. I think it is great running cost, considering my 68bhp 4k 1.3l old OHC engine consume the same ammount of fuel

350hp_civic
05-14-2004, 04:33 AM
personally if you have that money you should get a 1999-2000 R34 skyline.

but between the two 350-hands down it actually looks good unlike the 8 :D

Renesis
06-16-2004, 04:05 PM
thats kinda a personal question dont you think? its kinda up to what you like most in a car...

Okay you're going to think I'm crazy or maybe a little bit messed up upstairs, but heres my advice: take the rotary

Take the rx8 and redo the exhaust at your local autozone or whatever. This is what i did to my baby. I think the sound alone of the engine should do it. Beautiful.
Absolutely stunning noise when it reaches the 8000 mark.

babel17
06-16-2004, 05:34 PM
I own an RX8, and I love it. But my decision to buy the RX8 instead of the other cars I also considered (Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, Audi TT, G35, Lotus Elise, WRX STi) was based more on style than perfomance. I prefer handling to horsepower, and I love the looks and ergos of the RX8.

I love my car (except for the gas mileage those EPA estimate numbers are total BS). I suspect though if I had got any of the others, I'd have loved them as well.

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-17-2004, 04:00 PM
get an s2000
350 has no practicallity and the rx8 is trying to be everythign at once which doesnt work.
dont worry about performance considering no one ever pushes there car to the level where those few tenths of a horsepower or 0-60 time will matter.

but if u really have ur heart set on those 2 then i think u should go for the rx8, atleast it has rear seats

KnifeEdge_2K1
06-17-2004, 04:03 PM
I own an RX8, and I love it. But my decision to buy the RX8 instead of the other cars I also considered (Nissan 350Z, Honda S2000, Audi TT, G35, Lotus Elise, WRX STi) was based more on style than perfomance. I prefer handling to horsepower, and I love the looks and ergos of the RX8.

I love my car (except for the gas mileage those EPA estimate numbers are total BS). I suspect though if I had got any of the others, I'd have loved them as well.

i dont mean to poke into your business but did u even test the other cars you listed?

the s2000 and elise have far superior handling to the rx8, ive drivin the s2000 myself only once and the sadly the elise is still on my "cars i need to drive" list but from reputation alone i can safely say those 2 are much better than the mazda. but as i've pointed out before the mazda is the only one of these 3 with working rear seats

JERNACE
06-17-2004, 04:27 PM
to me i would go with the z becuase it seems to be more raw and have better performance. if im not mistaken i think you live in the middle east then you surely would have to take the z becuase the rx 8 has no dealer garantee here and nissan have fild track record in the region

Niko_Fx
06-17-2004, 04:41 PM

That's a very nice and honest response :)

I don't know about the RX8 handling better than those cars you mentioned, but it sure has some looks that I love :)

Great car, you should post some pics of it.

crazybob
06-22-2004, 02:28 PM
if you are going to modify it, i think 350Z is way better, at least in fuel effeciency. Mod a 350Z to twin turbo, running 0.7 bar. This will give you about 360 to 370 horsepower (probably 340 on the wheel) and you still get 28 mpg!!! i don't think any other turbocharged cars can match this. I think it is great running cost, considering my 68bhp 4k 1.3l old OHC engine consume the same ammount of fuel

Are you ignorant? First off, the EPA estimates for the 350Z are 20/22. And everyone knows that the EPA gets way better gas mileage than consumers. Then, you are putting in .7 bar, or 10 pounds of boost for us Americans. And running forced induction will lower your gas mileage even further, especially that much boost. So after that, whether you get 360 hp out of it or not, you will be lucky to get 15 MPG. 10-12 is probably more likely. Not saying that the RX-8 is efficient, because rotaries are not...but the RX-8 is way more efficient than that.

<<CAR EXPERT>>
06-23-2004, 02:07 AM
I would definately choose the rx-8, its rotary engine, modern-clasic mixture interior, general good shape for the exterior.....

my aunt has a rx-8, and I it's much more awesome to look at it personaly than on the internet.

SilverArrowZ
06-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Are you ignorant? First off, the EPA estimates for the 350Z are 20/22. And everyone knows that the EPA gets way better gas mileage than consumers. Then, you are putting in .7 bar, or 10 pounds of boost for us Americans. And running forced induction will lower your gas mileage even further, especially that much boost. So after that, whether you get 360 hp out of it or not, you will be lucky to get 15 MPG. 10-12 is probably more likely. Not saying that the RX-8 is efficient, because rotaries are not...but the RX-8 is way more efficient than that.

oh no... my bad.. i do count wrongly when trying to convert liter to gallon.. sorry :(
(cuz its 28mpg for imperial gallon... used in british... matra told me)

it should be 23.5mpg. Twin turbo 0.7bar. Tested in australia, cruising at top gear without going over 3000rpm.

EPA or no EPA they tested it already, it all depends on how you drive. 23.5mpg i say just now is not average milage, its cruising milage across the outback

Ferrari Tifosi
06-23-2004, 10:39 PM
I perfer the RX-8. I love the styling of it and from the tests I read between the two the RX-8 out handled it, and I definitely like handling over accleration. But if I were to chose any car in that price range it would be the Honda S2000, especially now with the 2.2L engine that makes it more practical.

crisis
06-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Definitely the RX-8, more economic an better looking ( + all the other amazing things about it that i wont start going on about )
My understanding of the RX 8 is that it has questionable fule economy. If you need a four door, four person car it is really the only choice of the two. If not I think the 350Z looks better ( cant come at those retro looks) and I also cant get comfortable with rotaries.

get an s2000 350 has no practicallity
I cant see a S2000 being more practical as it is only a two seater convertible at that.

350hp_civic personally if you have that money you should get a 1999-2000 R34 skyline.
I think he wants a new car.

Chinky_boi
06-24-2004, 11:44 PM
I would choose the 350Z over the RX-8 anytime.

When Nissan came out with the 350Z they did several tests in Japan, including a 3 lap race against a Porsche Boxster, BMW M3, Honda S2000 and another car which I can't remember (all driven by JTCC drivers). Ended up the Z won (it started from the 1st row and the M3 being on the last) with the M3 came in 2nd.

Although the Japanese specs are different from the export models, I still think the Z will out-perform, out-handle the RX-8. And I don't like the suicide door on the RX-8.

Just my 2 cents. :)
but it was messed up in the beginning. the skyline pulled ahead blocking the m3. making the m3 unable to pass the Z. the m3 could have won if the skyline hadnt done that.

Pliz
07-07-2004, 05:06 AM
well i think 350Z is a good choice, nice powerful v6 engine, good hp and good amount of torque. i h8 da look of the rx8...but in high gloss black it looks good...only advantage of rx8 is you'll save a wee bit on petrol, better interior but most people like the outside looks not inside, you can get alot of aftermarket parts for the 350z and if u get a rx8 and it has problems it will be MUCH more costly to repair than a 350z and out of all japanese car makers toyota and nissan are the most reliable and will give you the least problems if any arise and will be the cheapest to repair and mantain

Karrmann
07-07-2004, 05:57 AM
Rx-8.

honda_leg
07-14-2004, 04:33 AM
i think you should go with the rx-8 cause rx cars are usually good cars. ive had an rx-2, 4, and 7, and they've always been reliable, with nice 'healthy performance' and except for the rx-4, look good too. i havent owned either the rx-8 or 350z but rx always beats the z series so go for the mazda. and to correct a common misconception, the renesis is not a 1.3 litre v4, it's a 3.9 litre 2 rotor engine. there are 2 rotors, each with 3 654cc combustion chambers = 2 x 3 x 654 = 3924cc!! mazda just rates it at 1.3 litres to avoid extra tax for some countries, and cause it's a strange engine design, no one argues with them. (not to mention if a 1.3 litre naturally aspirated engine spinning at 7000rpm or whatever its max power's at, is producing 150kW or however much, mazda must have invented some amazing new technology that's increased the internal combustion engine efficiency 3 fold). so dont listen to the thousands of retards who tell you 13Bs are 1.3 litres (similarly 12As are 3.6 litre)

Karrmann
07-14-2004, 06:05 AM
you can't top the RX-8

Guibo
07-14-2004, 11:04 AM
I'd rather have the RX-8, based mostly on practicality and looks. Overall finish inside the RX-8 was much nicer, last time I looked at the two. That huge strut tower brace in the 350Z's rear hatch is a huge turnoff.

BTW, R&T compared the RX-8 and the G35 Coupe (mechanically very similar to the 350Z). It got 13.8 mpg to the G35's 18.4 mpg, driven over the same roads and in identical conditions with the G35. Their longterm RX-8 was only a little better, 15.9 mpg. :(

eyebrows
07-16-2004, 06:30 AM
ok if it were me id take the rx8, but it isn't me if i was him i would take something along the lines of the s2000 or the lotus elise (ie a light wieght high perfoming four cyl). as mention before rotaries are great for those who understand them and im presumin the practicallity would be in the light weight 4cyls.

Olly89
07-18-2004, 05:28 PM
If i was you i would prefer to get a MAZDA RX8 what great achine's they are seriusly i was watching a video on them about the MAZDA RX8 and the NISSAN 350Z and the RX8 ended up better overall they were racing on this race track and the RX8 got a quicker time with FANTASTIC HANDLING and all the NISSAN 350Z is to heavy to big to drive it's fast and bigger than the RX8 but the RX8 is a much reliable car... That's my choice. :) :)

evolution69
07-19-2004, 08:57 PM
well both cars are good but however by comparing both cars the mazda RX-8 has a overall better rating than 350Z but still there is not much differnce between the two but in my opion i say mazda RX-8 all the way

dplxy
07-30-2004, 01:50 AM
RX8 got no power( im in US, that car only has238 hp)

get the 350z
way better

SilverArrowZ
07-30-2004, 05:48 AM

get the 350z
way better

maybe 238bhp is not enough for you but to someone it is more than enough. To me, there isn't enough road for me to drive in a 238bhp car, 200 is enough. And do note that power isn't anything to somebody. You have to look at their torque too...

r1ckst4
07-30-2004, 06:11 AM
very tough! very tough!

i'd hav to say the rx8!

SilverArrowZ
07-30-2004, 06:20 AM
i have to say that both the car isn't really to my taste (at least the stock car) but when i bought a car mag and it featured a 350z and i'm like "hey.. nice" but when i flip to the back, there is a review of a mazdaspeed's RX8 because its about the same time RX8 reach my country's shore... and i'm like :eek: WOW!! since there isn't any benifit of having too much power so if i git a deep pocket i'll go for the rotary

dplxy
07-30-2004, 07:48 AM
maybe 238bhp is not enough for you but to someone it is more than enough. To me, there isn't enough road for me to drive in a 238bhp car, 200 is enough. And do note that power isn't anything to somebody. You have to look at their torque too...

i dont think RX8 got any torque
197 @ 7200 RPM

274 lb-ft of torque

andy.muc
07-30-2004, 08:50 AM
My choice?
The 350Z! No question.
It looks much more muscular.
And it got the muscles!

Well the only compromise would be the Mazda RX-8 X-Men... :cool:

SilverArrowZ
07-31-2004, 07:25 AM
197 @ 7200 RPM

274 lb-ft of torque

well look at their displacement first.

one other thing that affect the buying decision of Malaysian is the engine displacement. We don't go for the largest engine or what, but we look for the most effecient one, those which can crank out the most hp/litter.

this is because the road tax between small and big engine is like two different world. Like 1.9 liter engine and 2 liter engine would have a big margine while 1.8 and 1.9 would have a small margin. and things get more crazy when it is up to 3 or 4 liter engine. If you own a viper here, the anual road tax would be the same as a monthly salary of a degree holder. And thats why there is no V8 or V10 cars on the road.

so compare the 350 and the RX8, the RX8 would be paying much less road tax (yes they tax it as 1.3 liter, despite there is argument about the true displacement of the rotary, which is about the monthly pocket money you give to your 15 year old child)

oh ya.. and not to mention the sound of that rotary. I personally didn't have any chance to hear a V8 roar, so i can't compare them but i just love the sound of the rotary. don't really like the sound of the 350z. Anybody got a soundclip of a Mustang reving engine? I'll apreciate it

dplxy
08-01-2004, 04:03 AM
well look at their displacement first.

one other thing that affect the buying decision of Malaysian is the engine displacement. We don't go for the largest engine or what, but we look for the most effecient one, those which can crank out the most hp/litter.

this is because the road tax between small and big engine is like two different world. Like 1.9 liter engine and 2 liter engine would have a big margine while 1.8 and 1.9 would have a small margin. and things get more crazy when it is up to 3 or 4 liter engine. If you own a viper here, the anual road tax would be the same as a monthly salary of a degree holder. And thats why there is no V8 or V10 cars on the road.

so compare the 350 and the RX8, the RX8 would be paying much less road tax (yes they tax it as 1.3 liter, despite there is argument about the true displacement of the rotary, which is about the monthly pocket money you give to your 15 year old child)

oh ya.. and not to mention the sound of that rotary. I personally didn't have any chance to hear a V8 roar, so i can't compare them but i just love the sound of the rotary. don't really like the sound of the 350z. Anybody got a soundclip of a Mustang reving engine? I'll apreciate it

if u put it this way, i will pick the RX8 as well
and if u r in asia, i thing u r getting the 250hp version
not sure..
ps: i lived in the kuala lumpur hotel once
super nice!!
and i think u guys have some very nice race track for Porsche one-make racing
because i saw a video abt that

SilverArrowZ
08-01-2004, 04:40 AM
if u put it this way, i will pick the RX8 as well
and if u r in asia, i thing u r getting the 250hp version
not sure..
ps: i lived in the kuala lumpur hotel once
super nice!!
and i think u guys have some very nice race track for Porsche one-make racing
because i saw a video abt that

yeah the Sepang circuit is really good, --but-- i live in Kuching. Thats in the Borneo island. We only have go-kart track and drag stript (which only opens if the government organise a race). so... to me its like no track.. sob~

Falcon500
08-01-2004, 05:04 AM
Well silver arrows i dont know about the mustang but on the ford australia website we have the sound of the xr8 revving :) have a look around on www.ford.com.au and look up stuff on the xr8 :)

SilverArrowZ
08-01-2004, 05:39 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
no wonder westerners like V8 so much... way cool...

but if that FVP is purely made in the aus, and import to Malaysia, means i'll gonna pay some REALLY high tax, probably 200% to 300%... how much is that car sold in australia without the taxes?

-edit-
oh nvm i found the pricing already....
:eek:
almost cost RM400,000

thats 22 years of working without spending a cent of my salary

Pulsar Turbo
08-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Ill take the MAZDA RX8 more safer and much much better with it's rotary engine i rate it 8/10. :)

babel17
08-09-2004, 01:11 PM
So I took my RX8 to the Russell High Performance Driving School at Sears Point (that's Infineon Raceway in California USA) on Thursday. I'm completely happy that I chose the 8 over the 350Z. :)

85RX7
08-11-2004, 10:00 PM
i'd say go for the rx8, although i would much rather an FD3S rx7, You'd get more power, boost on tap, more potential for power enhansment, and it's cheaper.

The RX8's styling is, IMO, 2nd to none in the Japanese car range, it has decent power, and potential for more to come. It has been given the Engine of the year by many organisations. Plus it's a rotary. I'd take it before the Z.

1st Post!

scubasteve87
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
I'd take a 350Z. It gets better gas milage, it accelerates faster, and looks better in my opinion.

85RX7
08-11-2004, 10:32 PM
The Z door handles are disgusting!!! Talk about a big silver Brick!!!

Tha_killa69
08-17-2004, 06:37 PM
I my self have a RX-8, and my neighbor bought the Nissan Z the year it came out. We recently took them to a local track to have some fun. My car, not having much torqe or horse power as the Z, did not have much trouble keeping up with his Z. Maybe he didn't know how to race, but I was surprised my self. Babel17, your rite, the estimates are false. Sadly, the car does not come with a spare tire. :(

alpha997
02-19-2008, 07:45 PM

get the 350z
way better

197 @ 7200 RPM

274 lb-ft of torque

Ok. For you guys who keep on talking about how the Rx8 has less power than the 350z, you are forgetting that the 350z is also much heavier than the Rx8. And since the acceleration is depended both on the force and the mass, the Rx8 is actually quicker, with a power-to-weight ratio of 13.1 while the 350z's is 11.

And take it from people that know cars:

350z: YouTube - Nissan 350Z (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pWC8cten_7Q)
Rx8:YouTube - Top Gear Mazda RX8 and Nissan 350z (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SrjBsSHB-DM)

Rotary.freak
02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
Lol... i love it when 4 yr old threads get bumped...

Niko_Fx
02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Ok. For you guys who keep on talking about how the Rx8 has less power than the 350z, you are forgetting that the 350z is also much heavier than the Rx8. And since the acceleration is depended both on the force and the mass, the Rx8 is actually quicker, with a power-to-weight ratio of 13.1 while the 350z's is 11.

And take it from people that know cars:

350z: YouTube - Nissan 350Z (http://youtube.com/watch?v=pWC8cten_7Q)
Rx8:YouTube - Top Gear Mazda RX8 and Nissan 350z (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SrjBsSHB-DM)

How about torque to weight?

The RX8 is no match for the 350z on a straight. 0-60 is in the 6s for the RX8 and in the 5s for the 350z. The old 287hp would hand it to the RX8 without a problem... the new Z carries 306hp.

Matra et Alpine
10-29-2008, 03:28 AM
How about torque to weight?
If you're only going to run one gear and not allow any clutch slip then you're right.
In the real world, gears are used :)

cmcpokey
10-29-2008, 07:20 AM
the rx8 can be quick in the twisties, with a good driver keeping it in the right rev range. but i would contest that the same drive could be faster in the Z.

I drove the G35 and the rx8 back to back, and the rex felt absolutely slow compared to the G.

Matra et Alpine
10-29-2008, 07:25 AM
As with all revvers .. you HAVE to use the peak revs of the 8 to progress, it makes it hard work -- but more fun :) Also, the traction control is too fierce and often ends up cutting the power enough to get the engine booged down :(. so as you said "good driver" or more prescisely one using the8 to it's limit.
In twisties, the 8 over the Z, but the Z's gonna win on acceleration out of corners, so straights with occasional curves gonna be the Z.

Niko_Fx
10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
If you're only going to run one gear and not allow any clutch slip then you're right.
In the real world, gears are used :)

Gears or no gears, the 350Z is a quicker car.... :confused:

Why did you revive this thread anyway lol....

koenigseggccx
10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
RX-8

Hands Down

Waugh-terfall
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Personally, I'm a great fan of both, and being a Mazda owner I'd be inclined to give a biassed opionion, BUT, honestly, I think I'd rather, with the money, take the 350Z, an apparently sublime chassis, great engine, not to mention the noise and I just think more fun could be had with it and giving you the most satifcation. I believe the less torquey Mazda has to be worked alot harder, but then, I've only ever gotten as far as the drivers seat of each in a show-room, go drive both down the same route (if possible) and see how each makes you feel

CamNismo
10-30-2008, 06:13 PM
The Fairlady for sure....

Matra et Alpine
10-30-2008, 07:10 PM
The 8's chassis and handling far exceed the Z :)
But the power makes up for it :(
We let an ex-8 owner come on our Le Mans trip with his Z.
Handling wise a no brainer, performance over normal roads a close thing but fuel consumption meeting both criteria the Z by a long LONG way :(

Sam, for the noise, listen to a Borla equipped one ... most car nuts will swap out the original Mazda box ... the ProDrive has their own design, not as throaty as the Borla :(

Rockefella
10-30-2008, 11:53 PM
The 8's chassis and handling far exceed the Z :)
But the power makes up for it :(
We let an ex-8 owner come on our Le Mans trip with his Z.
Handling wise a no brainer, performance over normal roads a close thing but fuel consumption meeting both criteria the Z by a long LONG way :(

Sam, for the noise, listen to a Borla equipped one ... most car nuts will swap out the original Mazda box ... the ProDrive has their own design, not as throaty as the Borla :(

While the handling of the 8 is superior, even if not by much, you have to agree that the 350 has the overall advantage in track time..

Prodrive aside, the power advantage is unavoidable, unless the track is entirely composed of hairpin corners.

Bleeding Heart
10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I'll take the RX-8 over the 350z

The 350z looks and feels heavy...

The Rx-8 as i've driven one is very nimble and it really grips the road, it's a nice car...

Bleeding Heart
10-31-2008, 12:00 AM
While the handling of the 8 is superior, even if not by much, you have to agree that the 350 has the overall advantage in track time..

Prodrive aside, the power advantage is unavoidable, unless the track is entirely composed of hairpin corners.

Somehow, the 350 does have power advantage... But then, we also have to look at their MPG...

if you were like me, you would compare both power output with fuel economy of the cars...

Matra et Alpine
10-31-2008, 02:33 AM

Actually hairpins are the worst as they don't let the chassis be it's best, undulating fast corners :)

On twistie roads it can't keep up.
Prodrive didn't do any engine work, all suspension and geometry and makes it a lot better handling.
WIll have a very direct comparison as the RX-8 club has a trackday at Donnington and the Z will be there. Expecting the 8 to lose by a LOT with the long Donnington GP track straights and the uphill drag. I'm betting however that Fogarty's will give a lot of time back, can't make my mind up about Kramer and suspect it's going to be more down to cajones :)

culver
10-31-2008, 07:06 AM
I strongly prefer the RX-8. I've got a very limited bit of autocross time in an RX-8 and really liked it. I just wish the motor wasn't so thirsty. While the character of the Wankel is cool, given the price of gas I would be just as happy with a turbo 4 or V6.... or perhaps an LSx swap :D Of course I would hate to loose the RX-8's shifter. Anyway, great chassis as well as being more practical than the Nissan. It's down on power but not exactly weak. Of course so long as I am wishing for things I would also like Mazda to restyle the car. I so wish it was actually good looking. But the Nissan isn't good looking either so no advantage there!

G 2
03-22-2009, 10:03 PM
for me, i would just choose the 350z.. and i wont really tell you why :)
but i will tell you that i just dont like the rx8s engine. And i just fine that the rx8 is too.. restricted. not enough torque and a 232hp that gives in at 8500rpm. anyways, while the looks are cooler and it handles better, the 350z v6 has its power and performs well.. and in the end i would think its a little more reliable. but go with your gut.. and do keep in mind the seating configurations.

Niko_Fx
03-23-2009, 05:06 AM
I don't want to sound like a prick or as if I had a biased opinion, so I'm just going to point out that when I posted in this thread I didn't have a 350Z yet... I was actually a few months away from buying one and at the time I was looking at S2000s, 350Zs, RX8s, Mustangs, etc.

cmcpokey
03-23-2009, 08:54 AM
I don't want to sound like a prick or as if I had a biased opinion, so I'm just going to point out that when I posted in this thread I didn't have a 350Z yet... I was actually a few months away from buying one and at the time I was looking at S2000s, 350Zs, RX8s, Mustangs, etc.

and you made the right choice.

Kitdy
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM

and you made the right choice.

Fanboys.

Sledgehammer
03-23-2009, 05:56 PM
When I picked my car out, I looked closely at both the rx8 and the 350z. Each had their drawbacks and for me the 350's tiny trunk/hatch space took it outa the running. Given the two cars here, I might go with the mazda purely on looks and handling. Having driven both, I loved the Z's power and transmission (shifts were so smooth and quick). But again I need something that is practical as well (practical for me means a nice trunk for a backpack and other gear).

acuSI
03-23-2009, 08:20 PM

shouldve gotten an s2000! then u could go top down :D
lol
jk Z was a solid choice, all those cars are good for certain things, just depends on personal opinion and what you want

Ferrer
03-24-2009, 04:40 AM
shouldve gotten an s2000! then u could go top down :D
lol
jk Z was a solid choice, all those cars are good for certain things, just depends on personal opinion and what you want
He could have choosen a Z Roadster anyway. :)

cmcpokey
03-24-2009, 08:48 AM
When I picked my car out, I looked closely at both the rx8 and the 350z. Each had their drawbacks and for me the 350's tiny trunk/hatch space took it outa the running. Given the two cars here, I might go with the mazda purely on looks and handling. Having driven both, I loved the Z's power and transmission (shifts were so smooth and quick). But again I need something that is practical as well (practical for me means a nice trunk for a backpack and other gear).

thats exactly why i didnt get a proper Z... wanted some more room. so skyline for me.

acuSI
03-24-2009, 09:02 AM

Its not the same! haha :D naw i almost got a Z so I will not talk down on them at all

NSXType-R
03-24-2009, 11:36 AM
thats exactly why i didnt get a proper Z... wanted some more room. so skyline for me.

You mean G35. We're still in the USA. :D

Stupid Nissan fanboy. :D

Niko_Fx
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM

I actually think it's quite ugly :(

acuSI
03-24-2009, 10:13 PM
agree on that, the z coupe is pretty B-A though:D

cargirl1990
04-14-2009, 10:55 PM
buy the Z. looks and performs better. nicer engine. rotary engines will suck your wallet.

Nago
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
buy the Z. looks and performs better. nicer engine. rotary engines will suck your wallet.

Agreed
I love the Rx-8...specially for looks...but lets face it, de Z is more of a daily-car than an oil-gulper

DesmoRob
04-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Guess I'd have a 350Z. Every guy and his dog has both cars in question anyway so its not like either are anything special. But I like nissan more than I like mazda. Plus the Z looks and sounds nice. In the end, I'd have neither. I'd buy a corvette coupe.